Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thursday games have shown that the NFL flat out doesn't give a poo poo.

Thursday games should be for teams coming off a bye or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Shinjobi posted:

Thursday games have shown that the NFL flat out doesn't give a poo poo.

Thursday games should be for teams coming off a bye or something

Absolutely, but it's even crazier that we play Sunday night going into Thursday mid day. And then we have a similar turnaround later in the season (again on the road too).

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NattyBo posted:

Absolutely, but it's even crazier that we play Sunday night going into Thursday mid day. And then we have a similar turnaround later in the season (again on the road too).

Counterpoint: gently caress the Redskins.

Also haven't he Eagles had like four opponents in a row coming off bye weeks? gently caress scheduling this year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

The Cowboys have to do this literally every year

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanksgiving is the only exception to my bitchin about Thursday games. It's just tradition, baby.:colbert:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ralker posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress the Redskins.

Also haven't he Eagles had like four opponents in a row coming off bye weeks? gently caress scheduling this year.

Yeah the Eagles faced 3 teams in a row coming off of bye weeks...was pretty massive bullshit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My plan for the NFL season involves two bye weeks, two less weeks of preseason, and expanded season which goes into late February and has the Super Bowl in the first week of March, and removal of Thursday night games.

Two bye weeks would enable more resting time and eliminate the unfairness of an early bye week, two less weeks of preseason would remove unnecessary games but would probably have to come with expanded rosters, the expanded season would add two weeks to the end thus making it an 18 game season and improving ticket sales for owners, plus giving the first week of March a known branding of Super Bowl week, and the removal of Thursday night games would solve short week problems.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Cowboys have to do this literally every year

You're playing Sunday at 1PM, not 8PM, and then at home on Thursday. You also don't have a Monday to Saturday turn around so no.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Paul Turner is traveling with the team incase Jordan Matthews can't go.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Maybe if the skins abandoned their racist name they would get better scheduling? Just throwing ideas out there.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

lol if you think the NFL gives a poo poo about race relations, especially with those filthy natives.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

You're playing Sunday at 1PM, not 8PM, and then at home on Thursday. You also don't have a Monday to Saturday turn around so no.

The Cowboys play every Thanksgiving, so it's happened more than once in the past

Sorry you're super whiny about this

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's also BS that Philly had to play their first three divisional games all on the road.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Cowboys play every Thanksgiving, so it's happened more than once in the past

Sorry you're super whiny about this

Every team plays a Thursday game so this isn't unique to you, I'm just pointing out that we are the only team to have this turnaround twice in a season, guy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kirk Cousins would never support such whining

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

a new study bible! posted:

It's also BS that Philly had to play their first three divisional games all on the road.

Actually playing the last 3 at home could turn out to be huge for you tho

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

NattyBo posted:

Not to interrupt Dan vs Wentz chat, but can we talk about how bullshit the Redskins schedule is?

This weekend we play on SNF before having a game Thursday midday. So basically a 2.5-3 day turnaround. Fine whatever I guess it's only 8 hours less than Dallas gets plus travel time too.

The week before Christmas we play Carolina on MNF and then have a SATURDAY 1PM game @Chicago, so a 4 day turnaround Only team in the league with 2 short turnarounds in one season.

Thanks, Mara.

The Eagles played teams coming off of byes 3 straight weeks and then fly across country to Seattle please feel free to get hosed.

There are arguments to be made that Dak still does get "exposed", that's fair, but I still think he's shown genuine competency with flashes. This makes me mad, but I think it's correct. The part where you would start a worse player because it makes your team better is loving lost your marbles insane.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NattyBo posted:

Every team plays a Thursday game so this isn't unique to you, I'm just pointing out that we are the only team to have this turnaround twice in a season, guy.

So you just started watching football in 2006, huh?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dak is crazy to me, because there are quarters/halves where he looks like straight trash. But because the line is as good as it is, because Zeke is as good as he is, Dak is typically able to recover JUST in time to win the game.

Yes, I really wish Romo was playing. Cause this offense is everything it never was when Tony was out there breaking his everything for this dumbass franchise.:smithicide:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

Dak is crazy to me, because there are quarters/halves where he looks like straight trash. But because the line is as good as it is, because Zeke is as good as he is, Dak is typically able to recover JUST in time to win the game.

Yes, I really wish Romo was playing. Cause this offense is everything it never was when Tony was out there breaking his everything for this dumbass franchise.:smithicide:

Dak struggles with pressure when opposing teams send the house--he has a harder time sniffing it out pre-snap, and typically doesn't feel the rush well when protection collapses, which is what led to the fumble on the opening drive against Pittsburgh last week. That said, these are both things that can improve over time, so there's hope there.

He's been good with his decision-making for the most part, but has definitely also gotten lucky on a few would-be interceptions. His current INT rate is unsustainable, but he's not the first QB to have an outlier season. What Dak brings to the table that Romo does not, is that while he's an objectively worse passer, he's a much more credible running threat, and that's an asset to Zeke, as it can sometimes open lanes when teams have to worry about a Prescott rush, or punish teams for over-committing to stopping Zeke. That wouldn't be present with Romo, though Romo would probably be a bit more accurate as a passer and improve the team's YPA on passes. Still, it's hard to imagine Romo (or any QB) doing much better than Dak has behind the line right now--Dak's currently sitting on a 106 passer rating. A 10-point improvement from there (Romo in 2014) is really difficult to achieve and probably doesn't buy many more wins.

And yeah, I expect Wentz's ceiling to be higher than Dak's because Wentz was justifiably a first-round pick, but for some reason people can't handle the concept of both being good players.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

They are both good players. It's just, gently caress the Cowboys and gently caress "America's Team."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

They are both good players. It's just, gently caress the Cowboys and gently caress "America's Team."

oh word?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yea

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TheChirurgeon posted:

And yeah, I expect Wentz's ceiling to be higher than Dak's because Wentz was justifiably a first-round pick, but for some reason people can't handle the concept of both being good players.

I don't think you understand. There has only been one good quarterback in the NFL for almost 20 years and it has been Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers. Everyone else who is not the good quarterback is bad.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NattyBo posted:

Not to interrupt Dan vs Wentz chat, but can we talk about how bullshit the Redskins schedule is?

This weekend we play on SNF before having a game Thursday midday. So basically a 2.5-3 day turnaround. Fine whatever I guess it's only 8 hours less than Dallas gets plus travel time too.

The week before Christmas we play Carolina on MNF and then have a SATURDAY 1PM game @Chicago, so a 4 day turnaround Only team in the league with 2 short turnarounds in one season.

Thanks, Mara.

The Eagles had a week 4 bye, and played 3 teams in a row coming off bye (plus the Falcons off a TNF), 2 of them divisional teams on the road.

Although I agree short turnarounds are poo poo. NFL should add an extra bye week.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

The Eagles had a week 4 bye, and played 3 teams in a row coming off bye (plus the Falcons off a TNF), 2 of them divisional teams on the road.

Although I agree short turnarounds are poo poo. NFL should add an extra bye week.

For real, I don't see how they've not already done this.

It's a no-brainer. Extra rest for teams and another week of advertising dollars.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

:agreed: The least American state in the union by far.

Red Square Bear posted:

Texas: the only state to fight (and lose) two wars in defense of slavery.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
They won the first one though, if only because the Mexican Army didn't bother to post sentries while they all took a nap

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

NattyBo posted:

Thanks, Mara.

Mara is a bad person but I don't think he makes the schedules

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Wellington Mara and all of his genealogy are flawless

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles are gonna beat the Seahawks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

89 posted:

Eagles are gonna beat the Seahawks.

Is it opposite day already?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Filled under "interesting trivia" the Philadelphia Inquirer did a story on why every Eagles player has the number they have. Some are pretty interesting. A lot of the players really know their Philly history.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/The_stories_of_the_Philadelphia_Eagles_numbers.html

WR Nelson Agholar #17 posted:

When I first got it, a lot of the players I respected in the league had it. Alshon [Jeffery, of the Chicago Bears] was one of my first close friends in the NFL that played the receiver position - and he wore 17. So when I looked at the number, I was like, 'I can be like AJ17.' But a lot of great players wore 17 in this league. Obviously we have a great player here in our organization, Harold Carmichael, who wore it. But if it was up to me, I'd wear 15 - 15 was my college number, but 17 is a great number also. And as I think about it now, I build up little stories for it all the time. I'm one of seven people in my family.

WR Dorial Green-Beckham #18 posted:

Really, holding it down for my Missouri guy [Jeremy Maclin].

RB Wendell Smallwood #28 posted:

What came to mind was Correll Buckhalter, how hard he worked. He wasn't the main guy. He was in a committee. . . . I liked the way he worked, did what he had to do, stepped up in some big games. That's what [28] means to me. Most people think Adrian Peterson. [Buckhalter] is who I think, though, because he was one of my idols coming up when I was young.

CB Jalen Mills #31 posted:

Thirty-one teams passed up on me. Philly was the 32nd. They took a chance on me.

LS Jon Dorenbos #46 posted:

They said, 'What number do you want?' And you know what I told them? 'The number don't make the player. The player makes the number. What do you got?' And they gave me a list, and I [picked randomly]. 'I'll take 46.' Since then, almost every snapper has been 46 now.

T Halapoulivaati Vaitai #72 posted:

I had 74 for a long time - high school, college, middle school. When I got to the league, I was like, 'Man, I've got to change something.' I wanted to keep it an even number. 78 was on my mind, but then I was, like, 72 looks like a legendary number. And plus, my girlfriend wanted it. I said I just wanted something different. At first I wanted 69. But 72, she liked it. . . . Every time I sign a ball, my brain is conditioned to write 74. So I've got to recondition it.

DE Vinny Curry #75 posted:

'I wear 75 because that's how many people died in my college plane crash.' (Curry went to Marshall; in 1970, a plane full of Marshall football players, staff, and boosters crashed short of Tri-State Airport in West Virginia.)

WR Jordan Matthews #81 posted:

There were a couple ones I wanted before 81. I wanted 80 first, obviously, [because of] my cousin [Jerry Rice]. I wanted 87 because of college. [Brent] Celek had it. So I was the next one in my family to go to the league. 80, Jerry. 81, me.

LB Mychal Kendricks #95 posted:

It's kind of like a big number on who would be considered a little dude. Greg gave it to me my rookie year because there were no other numbers available, and he was like, 'It'll be different.' He talked me into it, because I was hella sad. When I first came in, he assigned me the number, and I was super sad about it because I was like, 'I'm a linebacker, I want a 50 number.' And he was like, 'Hey, man, it's different, it'll look good on you!' Telling me all the things I want to hear, knowing that I wouldn't be too satisfied with it. And I was a rookie, so I didn't really have a choice. Because every one who's a vet had earned their numbers. . . . I wanted 99, that's retired, so he's like, 'You got 95.' . . . I took the 95, I called my brother, Chad. He's like, 'what number did you get?' I said, 'They gave me 95, I'm hella sad.' He's like, 'Cool, man, that's sweet!' Because I guess back in the day, 95 was a good number. It's a universal number - you can see 95 on race cars. He was talking about Starter jerseys. He said the number back in the day, in the 80s, was 95 - 95 was like that number. So I guess every time I see 95 - Urban Outfitters sells shirts with 95 on it. It's a good number to have. I-95, so that's cool. It kind of grew on me. It's grown into something.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I personally don't like seeing defensive linemen and linebackers mix numbers. Lineman should wear 70s and 90s and linebackers should wear 50s and 60s.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NotWearingPants posted:

I personally don't like seeing defensive linemen and linebackers mix numbers. Lineman should wear 70s and 90s and linebackers should wear 50s and 60s.

The worst opinion. Open up the numbers.

Your 350 LB nose tackle wants to wear #3? Go for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

big juicy nectarine posted:

Vince Young is an all-time great... in my heart.

Dream Team bitch.

Nice.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ready for another 4-0 day in the NFCE

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ready for another 4-0 day in the NFCE

Id prefer a 1-3 with the Eagles being the only winning team

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Id prefer a 1-3 with the Eagles being the only winning team

hell, me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007