Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

LogicNinja posted:

Help!

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

I got this Vine Stalker to Depths, but gold dragons are kicking my rear end. The Arc Blade carried me through most of the game but I don't have a lot of good resist gear (despite buying a bajillion shops) and I haven't found any long blades better than a great sword to swap to for damage.

I need to double down on something offensive before it's too late but I'm not sure what it should be. Long blades? Conjurations?

Have you found Agony? With that Necro manual it could do pretty well for you.

Also 10 fighting is pretty darn low for Depths my dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there an up-to-date list of Demonspawn mutations anywhere? the wiki is horribly out of date :(

The list in the codebase is as close as you'll get, I suspect.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I have gotten 14 runes. Done 11 floors of a zig.

There are three ego robes in the entire game, and two mediocre artifact robes.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Haifisch posted:

I have gotten 14 runes. Done 11 floors of a zig.

There are three ego robes in the entire game, and two mediocre artifact robes.

My last game I escaped w 5 runes and the game spawned one pair of boots. My next game I had seen 7 pair by d4.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
My last DsCK win found six different artifact helmets, no decent gloves or boots.

I had horns.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I found one ego robe in Tartarus before I won. It was +2 rN. It tried.

But I got Vow of Courage 3, so I can end tournament happy.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just had my lowest turncount ever!

66515 turns with a DsMo of Qazlal. 5 runes and I even did Elf and Crypt. I had Claws 3 and Powered by Death 3 by something ridiculous like XL7 or 9. So I just dumped most XP into UC and Invoc to start.

There was a trove that wanted 17 of my 19 curing potions, but I figured nah, I'd just win.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/players/dynast.html

Oh god look at what broke the streak

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be entirely fair, after ascending a TrWa^J in a streak, there's really nowhere to but down. (OgWa^X?)

Edit Now that their streak is broken, they can go for the suicide mission banners? (Lord of Darkness 3, Ascetic 3, etc)

Maybe? :shrug: It's not like your winrate's gonna be carved on your gravestone.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 18, 2016

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
waaah waaah my trunk game is crashing on load. "short read while reading save", it says.

Is that run over?

edit: this is on CBRO, as Superterranean.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 18, 2016

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

hito posted:

Have you found Agony? With that Necro manual it could do pretty well for you.

Also 10 fighting is pretty darn low for Depths my dude!

I have not. And yeah it is, but it won't really help me kill gold dragons!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
My NaMo drank the purple on D1 and got poison cloud. It is so good. I just know I'll gently caress this up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

My NaMo drank the purple on D1 and got poison cloud. It is so good. I just know I'll gently caress this up.
Ctrl+S, go into your RC file, and do a force_more for everything threatening.

I've only got two days left to get in a win, and I work both of them. drat. Well, Devlan got two wins for our team! :toot:

Edit Putting together a --more-- list of monsters I always need to be careful around, because I die to tabbing so much.

code:
#Will force-more every time the listed monsters do anything.
#Monsters are listed for being nontrivial no matter XL.
#For the less annoying version, add "* into view" to each line
force_more_message += shining eye
force_more_message += entropic weaver
force_more_message += flayed ghost
force_more_message += sphinx
force_more_message += neqoxec
force_more_message += 's ghost * Dr
Specifically aiming for things dangerous no matter XL. Drac player ghost, malmutate, etc. Anything obvious I'm missing?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 18, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Triggering on every action they take seems like overkill. The only things I have on constant force more for combat (not just 'comes into view' or god/evolve/etc events) are successful malmuts, exhaustion ending, death door warnings, sap magic, getting marked, miasma/calcifying clouds and huge damage notifications. That last one is usually more than enough to slow down overtabbing. Forcing more every time a demonspawn warmonger or death drake did anything would be really annoying, it's enough to trigger when they do the one action that causes problems.

All player ghosts, distortion users, orbs of fire, cacodemons, vault sentinels and everything with torment/agony could potentially be added to that list though.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ctrl+S, go into your RC file, and do a force_more for everything threatening.

I've only got two days left to get in a win, and I work both of them. drat. Well, Devlan got two wins for our team! :toot:

I'm glad someone has, 'cause I'm having the worst run of it :bang:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
In a Bailey on a GhFi going for Brute Force 3:
code:
G - the +7 gold dragon scales "Rioxtad" (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ Str-2 Int+6 Dex+3 SInv}
Yeah, that will do.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Assssssssssssssss

I had it all. Green draconian monk of qazlal. Got a +4 ring of protection, and amulet of reflection on floor 2. Got the transmutation books I needed. Had lots of gold, had the easiest ossuary with tons of potions and scrolls. Then I got careless in the orcish mines and ate 2x10^3 smites. Tunnels really mess up the qazlaling.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is it possible for people to take high level chars and suicide them on earlier floors just to leave ridiculously annoying ghosts behind because that demonspawn assassin ghost was a bastard.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I still think this is one of the more unfair "no chance to act" things in the game:
code:
You open the door.
 Found a mace.
 A deep elf mage and Louise come into view.
 Louise is wielding a hand axe of electrocution.
 Louise shouts!
 Louise gestures at you while chanting.
 You are cast into the Abyss!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is it possible for people to take high level chars and suicide them on earlier floors just to leave ridiculously annoying ghosts behind because that demonspawn assassin ghost was a bastard.

paging LogicNinja, LogicNinja, please report to the thread

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Superterranean posted:

waaah waaah my trunk game is crashing on load. "short read while reading save", it says.

Is that run over?

edit: this is on CBRO, as Superterranean.

Sorry, someone (for once, not me!) broke save compat for all trunk saves last night. I'm fixing it now.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

PleasingFungus posted:

Sorry, someone (for once, not me!) broke save compat for all trunk saves last night. I'm fixing it now.

thanks Mr Fungus!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Araganzar posted:

I still think this is one of the more unfair "no chance to act" things in the game:
code:
You open the door.
 Found a mace.
 A deep elf mage and Louise come into view.
 Louise is wielding a hand axe of electrocution.
 Louise shouts!
 Louise gestures at you while chanting.
 You are cast into the Abyss!

Your chance to act is being sure to wear MR+ gear. I can't say if that's fair or not.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If a trove asks for an item, say a +3 demon blade, can you give it a randart that is at least a +3 demon blade? (Or an unrand, for that matter, if I wanted to give it Leech.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yes, but ghosts will only show up in more than one game if the player dies on the same floor as them. So trying to troll people with high level ghosts doesn't work since its so easy to get rid of them without actually fighting them.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Prism posted:

If a trove asks for an item, say a +3 demon blade, can you give it a randart that is at least a +3 demon blade? (Or an unrand, for that matter, if I wanted to give it Leech.)
Yes. Do it, because not doing troves is lame. Also, the loot might/could/will be poo poo, but you're dying to know, aren't you.

Also: final report for NEMELEX team: eventually creeped to my second win, this time FoCj. This was good, clean fun. Played with the theme, and went Vehumet. Final three gifts were lousy, but who cares? It's all about the earlier, passive powers.I was really worried about the orb run, because how to deal with random, hugging pan lords? Turns out that Force Lance is good enough. Fun: just like with my OpWr win before, I scraped the last (eigth) win.

I'm sad to admit that I had to abolish FeAK. I am just not good enough for this combo: lost a 2-runer and a 1-runer. One of them stumbled upon this gem: the amulet of Pessimism {Spirit rElec rPois} which must be one of the best trinkets a felid can find. (I always have lots of trouble with poison on them.) I used to think little of Felids, but they have really grown on me: that feelings of despair when all ends seem blocked, and you try to sneak a way to open up one more level... awesome! I'd fight any attempt to remove the little buggers. (Now Nemelex, that's a different story... maybe next time.:))

I won't be able to play over the weekend, so the two wins is all I contribute. This mode (only play Nemelex Choice combos) is awesome, I'll keep doing that in future tournaments. Thanks and greetings to the team!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, but ghosts will only show up in more than one game if the player dies on the same floor as them. So trying to troll people with high level ghosts doesn't work since its so easy to get rid of them without actually fighting them.

How about the abyss?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How about the abyss?

I've never actually seen a player ghost in the abyss. I'm not even sure they can show up there. I mean there should be plenty of low level ghosts on Abyss:1 that fell victim to distortion.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Rad

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm pretty sure they can show up in the abyss. It's just rarer because you teleport to new maps pretty often

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

[ASK] me about being abyssed on t76 by a random-rear end goblin

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Man I love Long Blades as a skill because Riposte is amazing, but it's super frustrating not being able to reliably deal with Hydras unless you luck into a decent weapon of flaming (or tons of wands to spam).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mystery Prize posted:

Man I love Long Blades as a skill because Riposte is amazing, but it's super frustrating not being able to reliably deal with Hydras unless you luck into a decent weapon of flaming (or tons of wands to spam).

I've generally been hoping like hell I see Erica before its hydra-killing time. Sometimes I even luck out!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I'm pretty sure they can show up in the abyss. It's just rarer because you teleport to new maps pretty often

They cannot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just polymorph it! What could go wrong? :unsmigghh:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Great plan! Dragons are definitely easier to deal with than Hydras :shepface:

Xom just gifted me a +8 rod of inaccuracy so that's that problem solved I guess

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's also not fair to pick Xom and then complain that you're having a hard time.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Your chance to act is being sure to wear MR+ gear. I can't say if that's fair or not.

Yeah, it's totally fair when you've cleared D/Orc/Lair/Elf and this is your MR gear:
code:
     a - [Orc:1] a +2 leather armour of magic resistance
     b - [D:5] a +2 robe of magic resistance
I'll just put on this piece of paper with MR on it for my body armor....

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Mystery Prize posted:

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte. Equip a big rear end sword and throw javs or use wands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte.

riposte only actually triggers once per hydra attack series, not once per head. ditto for other monsters with multiple attacks, e.g. trolls, and likewise ditto for minotaur headbutt retaliation (which is where the code comes from in the first place)

• Locked thread