Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The discussion has moved on, but I just remembered that I really liked the ending to G-Reco too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't recall Turn A having a super-huge budget, and it certainly didn't have a time advantage over other shows (which is generally more important for quality work) - it was fifty episodes with no breaks. As G-Reco showed, Tomino just knows how to do a lot with a little.

There's more to making a show look good than pouring money into it, too - that just gets you the tools, and you have to use them yourself. Tomino is a superb action choreographer, creating clear, easy-to-follow fight scenes with plenty of fun, imaginative variety (and a great deal of thought put into that variety - at every moment in, say, a battle in a typhoon, you can see him thinking of the myriad of different ways in which the combatants will be affected, from collapsing buildings to slippery, unstable footing to savage gusts of wind). If his shows come across as well-animated, it's because he knows where and when the high-quality cuts should be, and because he can effectively convey action without much animation if necessary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The discussion has moved on, but I just remembered that I really liked the ending to G-Reco too.

I like G-Reco's ending but I have trouble calling it good largely due to how quickly it wraps up its plot points. I don't think it needed to linger overly long but even for G-Reco it speeds through them. I think it'd have done better if the fight between Bellri and Mask was shorter but I guess they felt obligated to give the show one big last fight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like G-Reco's ending but I found it to be a decent ending from a director that frequently dishes out strong, memorable endings.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, there's a different one I'm thinking of. We're talking otherworldly grandeur here.

I meant the patton song.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thinky favorite song from the show is Barbarian, it gets used a bunch but is most notable as being Nanders accompanying music during his float rampage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2AJfEEvS3Q

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The incidental music is what I think of when I think of Turn A though, the music playing during the low key parts; stuff like Girls Rule and Talkative Sochie, just nice fun sweeping themes with lots of fife.

It's a huge soundtrack and probably the most varied of all mecha, there's a specific split in sound for different areas/factions in terms of what instruments get used. If you only like one song out of the 60+ that make up the whole soundtrack including themes that's pretty crazy. You're pretty crazy.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 14, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think the DIanna arriving music is one of the Advents, maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPAwKBbmjqo

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think the music for the scouting team's descendants is really good. But then again I just really like their goofy 70s hippy aesthetic and their general concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUIW72JXsC4

I also really like Puff The Pussy Puzzle but I've no recollection of when it was ever used in the series. I wouldn't know about it if it weren't for the goofy name drawing my attention on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bmn1FREQQ

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

gently caress, if that's average, then I've missed a ton of amazing shows over the years.
There have been a lot of ensemble shows that basically all do what I said I expect (To varying degrees of success) on American TV alone in like the last 15 or so years. It doesn't seem that uncommon to me, though I suppose that dates most of them to being made after Turn A.

quote:

As for westerns, first off, to state the incredibly obvious, it's a different genre from war movies. In a Western, the interactions between violent men and the half-civilization half-wilderness that supports them are the whole core of the genre. War movies, they're generally set dressing. Something that ends because the war has started. Not independent agents with their own motives (unless their motive is "I am getting a gun and being in the war" or "No! My child or lover depending on film! You will not be part of the war!"). Giving Keith this whole plotline is pretty uncommon!
I'm not quite sure what you're saying with any of this talk about genre differences or how it relates to what I was saying about Keith. Could you please elaborate?

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't recall Turn A having a super-huge budget, and it certainly didn't have a time advantage over other shows (which is generally more important for quality work) - it was fifty episodes with no breaks. As G-Reco showed, Tomino just knows how to do a lot with a little.

There's more to making a show look good than pouring money into it, too - that just gets you the tools, and you have to use them yourself. Tomino is a superb action choreographer, creating clear, easy-to-follow fight scenes with plenty of fun, imaginative variety (and a great deal of thought put into that variety - at every moment in, say, a battle in a typhoon, you can see him thinking of the myriad of different ways in which the combatants will be affected, from collapsing buildings to slippery, unstable footing to savage gusts of wind). If his shows come across as well-animated, it's because he knows where and when the high-quality cuts should be, and because he can effectively convey action without much animation if necessary.
If Turn A is tricking my brain into thinking it's done much more expensively that it actually is through major stylistic decisions that I just have not been picking up on, that would be a major point in its favor IMO. If you know of any kind of in-depth breakdown of Tomino's cinematic style, I'd love to take a look at it.

Sharkopath posted:

that's pretty crazy. You're pretty crazy.
:shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can't think of an overall style that is distinctly tomino, but there are a lot of quirks that label his shows. The most immediate one that springs to mind are his cockpit splits the fill the screen when two or more pilots start talking.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

There have been a lot of ensemble shows that basically all do what I said I expect (To varying degrees of success) on American TV alone in like the last 15 or so years. It doesn't seem that uncommon to me, though I suppose that dates most of them to being made after Turn A.

There's a lot of ensemble shows, but Turn A reminded me more of the high end than the low there. The cast was unusually large for how well it was juggled (even really minor guys like Lt. Zenoa had complete and reasonably satisfying arcs that tied into the larger plot while being complete in their own right) and there was a lot of trust in the viewer. You were shown things and expected to work out the details yourself instead of it being hammered in. (Signature Tomino)

Like, right off my head for something really rare? The militia's relationship with Guin. In most shows, the fact he's their boss would be their primary motivating force, with the personal coming in second. Unless they were in the spotlight, they'd be more an extension of his will than characters in their own right. But in Turn A, the show always remembers what they're in it for. While Guin wants the Moon to come to Earth on his terms, they don't want the moonies on Earth at all. It's interesting conflict even though they're almost always on the same side. Where on most shows people from two competing factions working together is an exception, for Turn A it's the norm, because every major character is, functionally, a faction to him or herself.

quote:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying with any of this talk about genre differences or how it relates to what I was saying about Keith. Could you please elaborate?
:shrug:

I can try, at least.

In general, in movies and shows about war (unless they're comedies or propaganda to get people to do Their Part) there's only arcs for civilians to highlight the war. Their conflict is "I am caught up in war" and their actions don't really influence much unless they take part in the war proper. Unlike westerns, where the violent men and the gunmen are participating in the same kind of society, soldiers are in a different world than civilians. It even applies to Best Gundam 0080, where the characters are relatively static unless they're participating in or intentionally facilitating giant robot battles.

Keith is different. Normally, you only get his kind of story as the focus of a whole show if the director wants to do something different. He's an immigrant trying to make his way as a baker in a world at war, with his own conflicts and complications that are derived from the war (Is he justified in selling a weapon to a military to fund his career as a baker? His money is worthless since the society that printed it was destroyed! ) but not directly part of it. It's a rare arc.

In a broader sense, Turn A Gundam is a war story that remembers that if it's going to argue for peace, it has to show what peace looks like and make it worth the struggle.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

TTBF posted:

I think the music for the scouting team's descendants is really good. But then again I just really like their goofy 70s hippy aesthetic and their general concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUIW72JXsC4

Love this one in the episode with the nuclear bomb detonation. Never mind the colony lasers or orbital cannons, this bit was easily the most effective superweapon scene in any Gundam show.

'GET OUT OF THERE, MR. GAVAN!' :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there much to say that the suits from Unicorn are appreciably more powerful than those from Char's Counterattack? While the Sinanju and the Kshatriya seem like extremely powerful weapons, a suit like the Unicorn or the Banshee don't seem *that* powerful in terms of raw performance, and only gain their advantage in terms of anti-newtype capabilities, as well as being a Gundam. Less time has passed between shows in the early UC than has in real life, so it seems like there are large divides that can make it seem like technology has advanced faster, but Unicorn shows that even suits as old as GM-IIs are still in reserve service.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 17, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Remember how the first 30 chapters of the Origin became free and that owned hard?

https://twitter.com/daisuki_net/status/799447269326065664

Yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyyjRZjRspc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The GIG posted:

Remember how the first 30 chapters of the Origin became free and that owned hard?

https://twitter.com/daisuki_net/status/799447269326065664

Yeah

This is good.

This is also good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oh boy I can't wait to see the hideous atlas gundam in animation along with space monks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

Oh boy I can't wait to see the hideous atlas gundam in animation along with space monks.

gently caress that noise, we get to see Bianca!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Oh poo poo, it's Atlas time? Hell yes, I can't wait to see the best of all weapon types, the triple rail railgun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is this a sequel to thunderbolt or something?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kingtheninja posted:

Is this a sequel to thunderbolt or something?

More Thunderbolt. The first series just adapted the first couple volumes of the manga

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

More Thunderbolt. The first series just adapted the first couple volumes of the manga

Yeah. Way things are going, it sort of feels like the first arc was the prologue and the second arc is the main story.

I quite like the Atlas, too. It's very much an experimental prototype, a charmingly awkward halfway-house between solid and movable-frame suits that was almost literally yanked out of the lab and armed with whatever else they were working on at the time.

The second arc also involves Darryl engaging in a James Bond-style speedboat chase in an Acguy, so there's that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been reading the origin considering I never saw the original series, and while I'm finding it quite interesting I must say Kai and the kids are insanely annoying. My first exposure to the UC was Unicorn, so it's funny to see how characters have developed between 0073 and 0096. How old is Bright supposed to be in The Origin?

Also, what happened to the RX-78-01? Did it get sucked out of the colony?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bright is 18ish in First Gundam/The Origin. He's an Ensign pretty much fresh out of military school.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

I've been reading the origin considering I never saw the original series, and while I'm finding it quite interesting I must say Kai and the kids are insanely annoying. My first exposure to the UC was Unicorn, so it's funny to see how characters have developed between 0073 and 0096. How old is Bright supposed to be in The Origin?

Also, what happened to the RX-78-01? Did it get sucked out of the colony?

It got trashed fending off the first three Zaku II's at the start, didn't it?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think one of the Zakus blew up on it? That broke open the colony and sucked it out after, if it even survived. Even after reading it a few times I was still unsure what happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McTimmy posted:

I think one of the Zakus blew up on it? That broke open the colony and sucked it out after, if it even survived. Even after reading it a few times I was still unsure what happened.

I believe it got trashed fighting the Zaku, but the explosion is still Amuro setting off the Zaku II's reactor.

Sorry you got started with Unicorn, Azran. It's not a bad series, but it's extremely referential, even in a franchise as self referential as Gundam. You should watch The Origin adaptations though. They are top tier in my book and I can't wait to watch the 4th episode. gently caress this series is good.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 19, 2016

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Kai is cool, good, and not annoying

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That bit where the gun he put back together falling apart as he spins it around? makes me smile. Every. Time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished watching Eve of Destiny. It was really good, but then Origin has set the bar high for quality. For only being an hour long, it covers a lot of ground, introducing Amuro and Fraw more fully than I expected it to. The battle on the lunar surface was great, and they've really upped their CGI/Traditional artwork blending. If I had to fault it, it was that the ending wasn't quite as powerful as it could have been. I still think that the first episode had the best ending as a "welcome to the Universal Century, hell is on its way" sort of deal. Fraw breaking down in Amuro's room is sad, and like I said, for how little screentime they have, they do their best with it. I just think the battle of Granada isn't the best place to end on when freaking Operation British is maybe three days later.

But I can't hate it, because Origin gives me what I love most about Gundam: strong character development. Back when I first watched Artesia's Sorrow, I felt that Casval was getting a little shafted, but watching the entire run in one go, I'm impressed that they managed to get a lot of character out of him with little dialogue. The mobile suit fights are few, but they are drat good and have weight to them, especially this one after there has been three episodes worth of development for characters involved.

Definitely putting Origin in the win category, and I cannot wait for them to adapt more volumes. As for rankings I would place the episodes like this:
#1. Dawn of Rebellion. Best overall episode, great action sequences and the most development that leads Casval to becoming Char.
#2. Blue Eyed Casval. Probably the most emotional episode, hell of an opening and an ending, but the voice acting on some of the characters hadn't settled yet. Dozle sounds silly here compared to his later appearances.
#3. Eve of Destiny. A great ending to the series, laying important foundations for what is to come, but the ending itself could have had more impact if it had been a little longer to establish Amuro and Fraw.
#4. Artesia's Sorrow. Still good, but Artesia's struggles aren't developed as well, and Casval's friendship with Char is completely passed over in favor of a single high five.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2016/11/mobile-suit-gundam-origin-episode-5.html

Quick preview for the next Origin adaptation. Looks like Operation British is coming after all.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So I am trying to watch ZZ again. The first time I went into it right after Zeta and oh boy I couldn't stand it for more than 3 episodes...

Watching it now and just accepting that it is pure loving goofballs makes it way more watchable, however my patience is wearing a bit thin again (12 episodes in right now) Does this show ever take a tinny little break instead of just throwing goofy happenings at you? It feels really overstuffed with people doing random things with very little focus on anything.
I mean I'm 12 episodes in and the only character development so far has been Fa leaving and Judau is almost getting the wild wild fact that if he just goofs of peeps on the ship will die...

Mashymre Cello and his dreams of Haman are really really amusing though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheCoach posted:

So I am trying to watch ZZ again. The first time I went into it right after Zeta and oh boy I couldn't stand it for more than 3 episodes...

Watching it now and just accepting that it is pure loving goofballs makes it way more watchable, however my patience is wearing a bit thin again (12 episodes in right now) Does this show ever take a tinny little break instead of just throwing goofy happenings at you? It feels really overstuffed with people doing random things with very little focus on anything.
I mean I'm 12 episodes in and the only character development so far has been Fa leaving and Judau is almost getting the wild wild fact that if he just goofs of peeps on the ship will die...

Mashymre Cello and his dreams of Haman are really really amusing though.

It gets less silly halfway through, when the opening changes so does the tone.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Having recently finished ZZ, I would say that it gets good starting at Moon Moon, and you're almost there. The beginning is a slog though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, as someone who enjoys the goofy stuff, it's still paced horribly at the beginning.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Gundam the Origin being free anime to see should at least now show that Char is in fact the biggest rear end in a top hat in the UC as opposed to the dude everyone gushes over. (I have held this thought since well before the Origin was out in manga form. Let's just say the reactions I got back then are those that make Hell a thing that happens when Char fangirls get mad at you. )

It's also like WHAT IF THE STAR WARS PREQUELS WEREN'T STUPID. (But still want to sell you stuff you don't need.) It does some of the same things but does them good and not dumb. Like how most of 0079's bigger players all show up and it doesn't feel unrealistic and silly. They actually have legit reasons to sometimes almost cross each other's paths.

Plus like most good Sci if it is showing us analogues of real life history and events in a more palatable way. I mean if you think about it Char is kind of that guy whose assassination of Franz Ferdinand started WW1 and caused directly and indirectly all the awful poo poo of the last century. Much like that real event the actions probably just pushed forwards the inevitable outcome but it is still an unforgivable act of evil. Except Char keeps doing awful poo poo all the way through CCA outside a break in the Zs. A crazy old man puts an idea in Char's head that eventually leads to people eating each other in the time between G Savior and G Reco.

Not that there wasn't plenty of blame to go around. The Zabis might not have actually killed Daikum or even started the War if Char hadn't pushed it along but they still did it. And the Federation were plenty lovely themselves, like a low rent Syria just about.

This is why UC Gundam can be so good because it deals with RL stuff. (Not that G and Build Fighters aren't good fun mind you. UC can actually be proper Science Fiction from time to time however.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's Gundam in general. It's not evil that causes calamity, or external threats. It's just human shittiness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did have a bit of a gripe with the Origin OVAs, though - the tone. Everything is absurdly heightened even by the standards of a highly melodramatic franchise, and it keeps ricocheting between comedy and drama fast enough that it's hard to actually feel things about what you're seeing. It's just shoving your face into the emotion bucket way too hard and way too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Not that there wasn't plenty of blame to go around. The Zabis might not have actually killed Daikum or even started the War if Char hadn't pushed it along but they still did it.

Please explain how Char goaded the Zabis into killing his dad while Char was in elementary school, because I don't remember that at all.