Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HoboTech posted:

Yes, I'm a bad person.
at least you acknowledge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
The Friends are always super cagey about spoilers with Persona in particular so the most they're going to talk about it will be like 10 seconds of "Game's good" and a spoilercast 3 months after the game comes out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wordnumber posted:

The Friends are always super cagey about spoilers with Persona in particular so the most they're going to talk about it will be like 10 seconds of "Game's good" and a spoilercast 3 months after the game comes out.

Pat and Woolie won't be culprits of spoilering anything about P5, I hope.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Captain Invictus posted:

at least you acknowledge it.

Yeah, apologies for not being a True Super Best Friends Play Zaibastsu Fan.

Turns out you don't have to like everything they do. Who knew?

Edit: Also the "spoiler-free" talk can be just as annoying. In the last podcast Liam and Woolie were talking about some anime (Under the Dog or something?) and it was ten minutes of dancing around something that no one in the room had any idea about. "Oh man, that thing with those people at that part was SO AWESOME... but we can't talk about it" gets old.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 18, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate hearing them talk about JoJo too, so you are not alone there. Also Persona, but sometimes it impossible to avoid like this podcast.

Dias posted:

Pat and Woolie won't be culprits of spoilering anything about P5, I hope.

It's gonna be me sending them spoilers on their twitter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate when woolie talks most of the time

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Tae posted:

Sorry about your bad opinions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woolie saying Raincoat Killeen Chico would be ridiculous was amazing having everyone in the podcast dogpile him.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Tae posted:

In terms of non-video game stuff, I find everything he has to say about his childhood and Grenada to be incredibly fascinating.

When he talks about relationships, though, he sounds like me from high school. And it hurts.

Hurts real bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm looking forward to them having a P5 video within the week of the game's release even though Liam chastised people about streaming it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I'm looking forward to them having a P5 video within the week of the game's release even though Liam chastised people about streaming it.

What's wrong with people streaming it? It's not like you have to watch the streams.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Andrast posted:

Did you not learn your lesson from the previous pokemon LP?

If they don't try to Nuzlocke it, it'd be fine. Sun/Moon is a modern Pokemon game with tons of things to stop a disaster like their Nuzlocke run.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Is Pokemon really something people would find interesting to watch being LPd? I'd imagine it would quickly turn into a podcast LP.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Dexie posted:

If they don't try to Nuzlocke it, it'd be fine. Sun/Moon is a modern Pokemon game with tons of things to stop a disaster like their Nuzlocke run.

Except it won't matter, because if they don't make optimal plays 100% of the time, Pokémanchildren will cry regardless.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pokemon is also still a JRPG with tons of repetitive gameplay that will result in them stopping to pay attention to the game and miss it when something important DOES happen, just like FFX and now Megaman. Which is not to say that they cannot do JRPGs. They just need someone who actually knows the game really well on controls. Chrono Trigger was massively smoother than either FFX or Megaman for that reason primarily.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lping JRPGs is a fool's errand, they must play only the simplest of games that cannot be failed, like Kirby.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

X-2 can do what Conmandon't

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

JRPGs are fine they just have to not be long ones and there has to be more research done than none at all (or at least have somebody start out liking it to begin with).

Despite the poo poo Matt got for FFX they did pretty well actually, they just weren't "optimal" which is almost never necessary in most JRPGs to begin with.

Give me the Parasite Eve 2 LP (to pair with the original), or something like Suikoden. Why are Woolie and Liam doing Command Mission when they both like Lost Odyssey? Pat yells at Chrono Cross is still something I'd think would be fun. The Xenogears video was one of the best parts of mechaweeks, etc.

I know the latter three they're not confident at all about but Pat didn't want to do the Silent Hill 2 LP for the longest time and it turned out to be super interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think SM could be good to LP, there's way less downtime between stuff, it's more packed together with stuff happening and lots of cool pokemon to use. That said, idk if i'd want the best friends doing it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I've never seen a good pokemon LP that wasn't either heavily edited or in screenshot LP form.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

A Pokemon LP, headed by Liam, with support by Woolie.

Sounds like another 30 part, 12k views-per-video success to me.

Let's make it happen.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Despite the poo poo Matt got for FFX they did pretty well actually, they just weren't "optimal" which is almost never necessary in most JRPGs to begin with.

FFX had a lot of annoying things like Matt and Woolie asking each other for a minute about elemental weaknesses and strengths when the information they were unsure about was displayed to them on the interface the whole time. Everything else was good, and the LP had a lot of very good shining moments, and it was all very much worth it for those. But gently caress man, the whole thing would've come along much better if Matt had invested time into the game before starting the LP, because his memory of the game from when he had originally played him was very much not enough.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

At least we got Grand Wizard Wakka outta that. I say that's a fair trade.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

At least we got Grand Wizard Wakka outta that. I say that's a fair trade.

Agreed.

I also think that's a big part of it. Final Fantasy has all of these weird characters and events that are fun to make jokes out of. Pokemon is... kinda samey (to me, anyway).

Like by default the main character has to be a bland nothing-person so the player can impose their own self into it. I'm sure the villains have a bit more character than that, but I don't know too much about them to say one way or the other. Hell, the most fun thing about the Nuzlocke run was the names they picked.

Maybe I'm wrong and the Sun and Moon games are these vast sweeping epics with really interesting characters and crazy plots..?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HoboTech posted:

Gotta be honest, not looking forward to the constant PERSONA talk that will invade every episode of everything they do for the next six months after the game comes out.

Gonna be in the "fast forward the podcast" pile, along with the Lucha and JoJo talk.

Yes, I'm a bad person.
I wonder what would happen if the Zaibatsu recieved a japanese copy of the game by some fan?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

I wonder what would happen if the Zaibatsu recieved a japanese copy of the game by some fan?

they'd say "huh, that's a thing" and not play it because there's absolutely zero point to it

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Liam will probably play it in his free time and taunt Pat with hints.

Unless that's a thing he's somehow morally opposed to doing for whatever bizarre reason he comes up with.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YF-23 posted:

FFX had a lot of annoying things like Matt and Woolie asking each other for a minute about elemental weaknesses and strengths when the information they were unsure about was displayed to them on the interface the whole time.

Sure but none of that mattered, because the game is not actually that difficult. In fact he remembered more about the boss fights than I did.

Now say if that actually kept them from being able to play, to the point where an Omikron event happened and they had to take a break, yeah maybe I'd say there were problems, but all occasionally healing the enemy does is make for a funny moment.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Sure but none of that mattered, because the game is not actually that difficult. In fact he remembered more about the boss fights than I did.

Now say if that actually kept them from being able to play, to the point where an Omikron event happened and they had to take a break, yeah maybe I'd say there were problems, but all occasionally healing the enemy does is make for a funny moment.

If you found the Minecraft interruptions thought train-annihilating and impossible to deal with, I don't know how you managed to get through Matt and Woolie spending one of every ten minutes pausing to go over basic gameplay elements.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YF-23 posted:

If you found the Minecraft interruptions thought train-annihilating and impossible to deal with, I don't know how you managed to get through Matt and Woolie spending one of every ten minutes pausing to go over basic gameplay elements.

I'm glad people are still bringing this poo poo up.

Yeah, I like them talking about the game when they're talking over the game, you caught me.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

HoboTech posted:

Maybe I'm wrong and the Sun and Moon games are these vast sweeping epics with really interesting characters and crazy plots..?

You're actually onto something there, at least in terms of the villains, this generation looks to be the most interesting we've had in a while. Owed in part to Gamefreak finally backing down from the "Clandestine society of evil superscientists bent on poorly defined world domination/destruction" angle they've been pushing for so long and gone back to low-stakes organised thuggery.

I doubt they'll be massively better, but it should be a breath of fresh air at least.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 18, 2016

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I fully expect a P5 LP based on some of the comments they've made on past podcasts

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Justice Sloth posted:

You're actually onto something there, at least in terms of the villains, this generation looks to be the most interesting we've had in a while. Owed in part to Gamefreak finally backing down from the "Clandestine society of evil superscientists bent on poorly defined world domination/destruction" angle they've been pushing for so long and gone back to low-stakes organised thuggery.

I doubt they'll be massively better, but it should be a breath of fresh air at least.

That's pretty cool, then. At least they're attempting to evolve (PUNS).
I haven't touched one of them since the originals came out, but that has more to do with JRPGs in general than Pokemon in specific.

Mostly I'm just hoping for the LP of the first Dark Souls. Likely won't be until after the final DS3 DLC (if any time soon at all), but I hope they do include Matt again.I rescind all my previous criticisms of having three people on that LP.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
Having listened to Pat describe his childhood in the the recent Minecraft Story Mode episode, I have realized that he is a real-life Porky Minch.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Justice Sloth posted:

The plot is just KLK but with Pokemon now.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

HGH posted:

The plot is just KLK but with Pokemon now.

I'm positive that a quick trip to the Fanart thread in PYF could find us this exact thing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Phantasium posted:

JRPGs are fine they just have to not be long ones

Phantasium posted:

The Xenogears video was one of the best parts of mechaweeks, etc.

How long is Xenogears again?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Solitair posted:

How long is Xenogears again?

Those were two separate thoughts, but yeah, that and disc 2 would be significant problems. I just liked seeing Woolie get excited about poo poo.

In general though I would say that most of the RPGs from people's youths were not actually that long until maybe the PS2 era? I've gone back to too many games and been surprised at how short they are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ps1 started the multi-disk thing because games were too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
They could probably do a Four Job Fiesta as a series of streams on account of FFV not being too long and also having a dumb as poo poo plot to make jokes about. It probably shouldn't be all four of them, though.