Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
That's definitely a good point, I don't mind pulling and it seems like half the time I ask someone to pull when I'm tanking they do an intentionally lovely job to make me regret asking them. Training the group with lovely lb cons is fine with an average/good group, not okay when the enchanter keeps ninja afking and our only healer is a lowbie druid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Leveled a monk to 60 in the past few weeks so I understand the pulling thing. However, I actually quite enjoy pulling (for good groups) because you're able to set the pace and tone of the group. I have become quite selective with groups I join now though. I want to see high DPS, often preferring at least 1 ENC + pet.

I found that leading my own groups, while a mission to start sometimes, led to much faster and more rewarding XP sessions. A great example of a bad group: got invited to rep a guildmate the other day in GE and walked into a 3 druid group. I should've known better...as this guildmate also said on (on a raid mind you) they didn't purchase Avatar as they didn't see the benefit or want to pay for gems. :doh:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah a good puller makes or breaks the group. The main reason I often dislike grouping in MMORPGs is when the puller is slow, because you're just sitting there.... and sitting there, waiting...

I know it's not so easy in old EQ, since you can't see peoples' mana, but watch your groups health and watch when the healer says oom (or good to go), and just keep the mobs flowing.

Also, feign death..... nothing is better in classic EQ!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Pilsner posted:

since you can't see peoples' mana, but watch your groups health and watch when the healer says oom (or good to go), and just keep the mobs flowing.

I'm pretty sure you can see your group's mana on Phinigel. Or at least I can o.0

About the pulling : it is not that I mind the pulling so much. It was rather that I am really bad at navigating a dungeon with tight and curvy corridors like LGuk.
I also found it stupid to have the person who was actually dealing the highest amount of sustained DPS spend 60% of the time not actually applying that dps.

Last when I suggested the Beastlord should pull while his pet was still applying dps they thought it was dumb...
Also proximity pulling due to the lack of a ranged attack sucks... when I see a mage a beg for throwing daggers tho.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

gepgepgep posted:

Leveled a monk to 60 in the past few weeks so I understand the pulling thing. However, I actually quite enjoy pulling (for good groups) because you're able to set the pace and tone of the group. I have become quite selective with groups I join now though. I want to see high DPS, often preferring at least 1 ENC + pet.

I found that leading my own groups, while a mission to start sometimes, led to much faster and more rewarding XP sessions. A great example of a bad group: got invited to rep a guildmate the other day in GE and walked into a 3 druid group. I should've known better...as this guildmate also said on (on a raid mind you) they didn't purchase Avatar as they didn't see the benefit or want to pay for gems. :doh:

Pretty sure the OOG enchanter started getting sad with the packs I was bringing in. Early morning groups you take what you can get I guess.

Evernoob posted:

Also proximity pulling due to the lack of a ranged attack sucks... when I see a mage a beg for throwing daggers tho.

Javelins are pretty cheap, especially if you make them yourself. Or fishbone darts are fletched if you know someone who roleplays and fishes.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
You sound like you have a few problems:

1) Proximity pulling. you have no proper ranged weapons. I carry a few stacks of Forged Javelins for 205 range pulling. It takes a few hundred plat to get up to being able to make them. Shurikens are dirt cheap and sold by a number of city vendors. They also stack in 100s.

2) You're grouping with idiots. Lead groups. Tell them what to do. If they can't handle, replace them. This game is 17 years old now...no need to coddle people.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Stanos posted:

Pretty sure the OOG enchanter started getting sad with the packs I was bringing in. Early morning groups you take what you can get I guess.
He was more annoyed with the other people. 2 other druids were supposed to be healing in group. They did none of this. The beastlord also thought he was captain DPS and wasn't even slowing mobs, but he'd immediately break mez and send the mobs onto the ENC...LOL.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Monk pulling in EQ was an art form, and no game since has given me an experience even close to it. I'll never forget my first time bringing the Avatar of War to the raid group, or working with a mage to get King Dain solo on to the ice outside of his castle. The initial breaking in and splitting dungeon camps was awesome too.

I'd say definitely give it another shot, with the proper throwing tools (pretty sure I used the forged javelins up until I got a pouch in ssra basement that summoned shurikens.) If you still aren't feeling it though, I wouldn't force things. Bad pullers are just as detrimental to a group as a bad tank or healer.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Another patch another guild clan / halls being deleted, this time so far relegated to just FV so far.

Server wasn't even up longer than 15 min before brought back down.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What's the strategy Phinny guilds are using to clear all VT bosses in ~3.5 hours?

We're bad and casual and it takes us the full 6 hours to clear and we still skip 1 or maybe 2. We constantly have mobs in camp and kill in the order of difficulty.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

khysanth posted:

What's the strategy Phinny guilds are using to clear all VT bosses in ~3.5 hours?

We're bad and casual and it takes us the full 6 hours to clear and we still skip 1 or maybe 2. We constantly have mobs in camp and kill in the order of difficulty.

I dunno if it's still an option but COH bots were huge back in era and made things go a lot faster.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

MF_James posted:

I dunno if it's still an option but COH bots were huge back in era and made things go a lot faster.

Can't use coth bots in instances. I know we're pushing like 5-6k dps on boss fights sometimes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

iNteg posted:

Can't use coth bots in instances. I know we're pushing like 5-6k dps on boss fights sometimes.

Yes you can. We have a Mage die and dragged/res.

For open world, I believe we have around 4 coh bots camped in various places.

Most of the bosses can be pulled to the zone in. Kite the trash in the courtyard while raid kills the boss. VT takes us about 3 hours if we don't split it.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2016

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I updated ZlizUI, my EQ UI:

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

Changes:
  • Updated for the November 16, 2016 patch (Empires of Kunark).
  • The buff window has been changed so that each buff is now 16 pixels tall, instead of 18. This allows for more buffs to be shown in the same amount of space.
  • The short duration buff (song) window has been slightly compacted. Note that the height of the window has been set to 224 pixels, which allows for 14 buffs (each 16 pixels tall) to be shown, as this fits my own liking. To increase the height of the window, and allow more buffs to be shown, simply change the value "224" on line 1395 in the file EQUI_ShortDurationBuffWindow.
  • Added some missing tooltips to the Tracking window.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Hey, is everyone still playing on Test, or was there another exodus? I'm thinking about coming back again, just reinstalled today.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

khysanth posted:

We have monks / bards kiting trash around and anyone with DA will pick the bosses out of the trash for the raid to kill. Once dead raid moves on and a mate will COTH the Kiter back to the raid. Once inside the building we Pull large amounts of mobs onto the raid, have tanks pick out major threats then we just AoE them down and move on. Basically the trick is to avoid the most amount of trash you can and just snipe the bosses. We can clear VT in about 3.5 hours with a raid of 58 - 62ish people.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
What are some mandatory warrior clickies I should be getting? Playing on a non TLP server.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Not Grover posted:

Hey, is everyone still playing on Test, or was there another exodus? I'm thinking about coming back again, just reinstalled today.
"Everyone" isn't that many, but there is a decent little active community, but we are more spread out.

I'd estimate something like 30% play on Test, 30% play on the latest TLP (Phinny at the moment), and the rest are spread out on various servers due to guilds or regional preferences (I play on AB since I'm European).

I just started playing again (I use purchased Kronos for ad-hoc subbing, works great) with my box team, I'm currently powerleveling a duo of Rogue + Warrior, and will complete both their epics 1.0 in full. It's a super fun thing to do, particularly as it sends you to the most obscure parts of the old world and Kunark, which I love. I like to complete them hardcode-style, starting from scratch and completing everything as intended with no MQ'ing. For example, for Paladin, I started with the Ghoulbane quest, then Fiery Avenger, then finally Fiery Defender (the epic 1.0).

I'm fairly well-versed in PL'ing, but does anyone have some extra tips? Here's my strategy:

* lvl 100 Shaman pulls and does the pincushioning with damage shields. I know this is not optimal, but my only other candidate for this is a lvl 85 SK (with default Heroic gear), and I don't think he will survive so well at higher levels. The Shaman has an AA called Crippling Apparition, which does a PB AE debuff. I don't really know how much aggro this causes. I supply by healing myself.
* I have a lvl 85 Bard who adds a decent damage shield (almost 500 total) by grouping with the Shaman, and a lvl 100 Ranger can cast a little extra damage shield
* If neither of the two twinks I PL have a PB AE spell, I create a fresh Bard who can play AE song from lvl 2, and level him along with the two twinks, which works really well. I load him up with some twink gear and buff him to prevent him from getting smashed at lower levels when he gets attention from mobs sometimes.

Here's the leveling path I just used:

1-10: Grind twinks up by hand (with Shaman Puma buff) in the middle part of the CR (Crescent Reach) newbie area. At lvl 1, it's impossible to land your PB AE spell on mobs worth killing.
10-20: Undead in the north part of CR
20-30: Mushrooms in the north center of BM (Blightfire Moors)
30-45: Skeletons in the northwest part of BM. Great place, it gets a little slow at 40, but I continue to 45 for the sake of being able to land spells on mobs in the next zone
45-59ish: Crypt of Nadox
59-70: Crypt of Decay (gets a little slow at 65)

At 70 I can group with my lvl 100's for a bit of extra xp, although lvl 70 is more than enough for tooting around in the old world and completing epics.

Any other good spots to level? I tried Mistmoore from level 20, but the long respawn (around 22 minutes) makes it inherently bad, and my Shaman was friendly to them as well, making pulling a chore.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Paw, Griegs End and the hole (undead area) have crazy zone exp mods. Puladul caverns is by far the best for 10-20 but probably is cancelled out by the move time from CR since you do 10-20 there.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
For Mistmoore, you could pull with the bard (aoe snare maybe?) then clump them up and fade onto the shaman.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I just use my bard tbh. Run around with just selos buff, gather everything, then damageshield melody. Then I sit a bunch and take some damage and the healer merc heals me once and holds aggro for the lowbie to aoe/flame potion. Mercs don't avoid damage, so every mob swing is damaging them, you don't have to keep doing the dumb sit dance on yourself.

I just use mishmash of mistmoore, guk, rcod/bloodfields, crypt of decay. Sometimes I use the bees in BM

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Can someone explain this new fangled raid lockout system that is now on test and I guess TLP servers?

From what I've been able to tell if you request a raid using the new requesters it gives you an immediate 3 day lockout regardless of whether you've killed anything? And then there's the normal lockout for killing each boss, then another lockout called Loot Lockout? Confusing

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
These lockouts only apply to old expansions through an Agent of Change (AoC).

* When you get one of these instances, you immediately get *at least* a 3.5 day lockout that prevents you from requesting the instance again, period, for that time. If and only if you defeat the 'final' encounter of the zone, this lockout timer will jump to 6.5 minus the time it took to complete the instance. There are two exceptions to this information:
1. Engaging Lord Nagafen or Lady Vox immediately gives you the full lockout on them. They changed this with the Kunark instances.
2. Temple of Veeshan has a 6 hour instance lockout instead of 3.5 days. This was to support cross-day raiding NToV because of how much health they gave everything, and killing Vulak jumps it to the normal 6.5 day.

* When you zone in and kill any creature whatsoever, you get an additional 6.5 day lockout called 'loot lockout'. Loot lockout does not prevent you from getting another instance of the zone, but it means that anything that doesn't have a specific event associated with it will not drop any loot at all. This is to prevent people from popping instances and farming them, even though you can only respawn mobs in these instances in a very convoluted way. If you have a loot lockout but kill 'Eashen of the Sky' in Temple of Veeshan, you'll still get loot from Eashen because he has a specific event entry.

* When you defeat an encounter-level boss, 90% of the time you'll get an additional lockout with that boss. For example, killing Eashen of the Sky in Temple of Veeshan will give you a 6.5 day lockout for that boss. Encounter lockouts do not prevent you from getting another instance, just when you do any boss that is on lockout will spawn and then be removed from the zone.

The other 10% of the time is:
1. Killing any taskmaster in Ssraeshza Temple immediately gives you the lockout for Vyzh`dra the Cursed. You can still complete the Cursed cycle, but if you fail, you'll have to wait 6.5 days to try again instead of 3.5.
2. Killing Blood of Ssraeshza gives you the Emperor Ssraeshza lockout even if you don't kill him.

There's a bunch of other one-offs and wonkiness (such as the Halls of Testing drakes having their own lockout), but that's the general rules.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

thanks, and since you're a phinny goon it might help you to know that I've found out aten ha ra no longer death touches even if you keep alive all of her warders. tested on multiple characters and she just doesn't DT no matter what anymore. test has the same version of raid you guys do, (we have MOTM too).

could save you guys some time for when you just want to skip straight to her instead

also if there is anything phinny goons could use tested just post in the thread or ask in channel and i can do it

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 7, 2016

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
So last May I bounced off Phinny after the transition to Kunark. Started back up today with my twinked 31 SK (Vanilla twinked at least...). Are there any goons on Phinny that are interested in doing some serious leveling? Or any cool goon guilds I could join while I tryhard myself to 60?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Love Crime posted:

thanks, and since you're a phinny goon it might help you to know that I've found out aten ha ra no longer death touches even if you keep alive all of her warders. tested on multiple characters and she just doesn't DT no matter what anymore. test has the same version of raid you guys do, (we have MOTM too).

could save you guys some time for when you just want to skip straight to her instead

also if there is anything phinny goons could use tested just post in the thread or ask in channel and i can do it

The Warders and Aten haven't worked for at least 5 years. We bounce all over and do it semi-legit, apparently AoS and OGC pull literally every boss to zone in and kill some trash in the courtyard is all, and are done in an hour.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 8, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Hoohah posted:

The Warders and Aten haven't worked for at least 5 years. We bounce all over and do it semi-legit, apparently AoS and OGC pull literally every boss to zone in and kill some trash in the courtyard is all, and are done in an hour.

Yea in BDA we do the whole thing pretty much legit. We sometimes skip a boss or two depending on how fast we're going.

How do the pulls work getting the deep bosses solo to the zone in?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Typically what we do in AoS is pull most to the zone and coth for the last few. Just kite trash in the courtyard and someone peels off the boss and brings it to the zone area for the raid to kill. This whole "legit" argument about killing trash on the EQ forums is dumb. Hardly any guilds killed trash in live so no idea why some guilds think it's cool to triple your time in VT. Not to be a dick but if your guild(s) think it's cool or the morally right way to do VT, get another guild. No offense!! I'm not talking about the lack of DTs for doing AHR first.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
:lol:

Start unloading your AoN's now because yesterday's test patch has the greatest stealth nerf in history, you can no longer illusion or mount/dismount through doors

I mean all doors. I was the first person to notice on test with grummus door testing the new agents of change added and thought "well ok, guess they really want you to kill gryme first" then went to saryn's tower and couldn't get in it and thought "well this seems a bit much but ok at least it's PoP stuff for phinny" then boom, can't do it for VT or Ssra or even into the future with Txevu anymore, nothing works at all, not mounting/dismounting, not shadowstepping, not sending a pet through to open it up, nothing

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 9, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lol, how long has that exploit been in place? Since Luclin?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

xZAOx posted:

Lol, how long has that exploit been in place? Since Luclin?

As long as I can ever remember. It's a really weird thing to change after all this time.

In Ssra I vaguely remember needing rogues to lockpick crap to get around for our raids but don't remember what was where or if there was another way besides rogues/bards. Figured VT out after an hour, even with all 3 keys you need a rogue/bard to unlock certain doors right?

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 9, 2016

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
That sucks considering I spent 45k on mine. I also am a lovely human being and I'm sorry I haven't been around since thanksgiving Hoohah, I'll be back soon to get my attendance back up, been fairly busy and haven't even had time to log in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gonna be a poo poo load of bard boxes working up their lockpicking soon.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Takes, literally, maybe 20 seconds in Sol A to max lockpicking. You find the swinging axe, and just click it.

I have no idea why that works, but it does. Just spam click it for a short bit, you're done. No cooldown.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

xZAOx posted:

Takes, literally, maybe 20 seconds in Sol A to max lockpicking. You find the swinging axe, and just click it.

I have no idea why that works, but it does. Just spam click it for a short bit, you're done. No cooldown.

It works on the spinning book in the room with the PoK stone in Tranquility too.

Unfortunately, this only applies to two classes. This is stupid and naturally we can all thank TLP for it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Since we're on the subject - any good places on Phinny to level up Sense Traps? I hear when LDON comes out you can jsut stand at the zone in and press it over and over, but wasn't sure if there was a good place in the game now. I've only leveled it up a little during SSRA raids.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You used to be able to level Sense just by using it - it didn't matter if you actually sensed a trap. I think I had it bound to my Backstab key at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
2x rare spawn and faction all weekend long, which I'm guessing they mean all week long since it is Monday