Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Just your daily reminder that Donald Trump is president-elect and the world will die in 100 years from global warming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You might be stupid man

This is the kind of cutting edge discourse I come to DnD for.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You might be stupid man

Go on...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I dunno man it's happened here before. RIP LF

that was fyad
lowtax lied subforums died

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Covok posted:

Just your daily reminder that Donald Trump is president-elect and the world will die in 100 years from global warming.

Please don't pretend humanity won't exist in 💯 years, it gives people a reason to not fix carbon output

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Covok posted:

This contributes absolutely nothing to discussion. Worse, it's not clever or funny.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Covok posted:

In all fairness, a Clinton presidency would have just delayed that by a decade or so

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: probably shouldn't be posted about here

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

cravius posted:

This is the kind of cutting edge discourse I come to DnD for.

If you want my opinion, yes there is racism in the military. And yeah, some of the vets I know are racists and openly use racist terms sometimes. But war has a way of loving you up, really bad. So I'm willing to forgive on some aspects.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Covok posted:

lo you think the Dems learned their lesson.

I think a lot of them at least realize that they can't keep doing what they've been doing. Whether they'll learn their lesson in time for 2018 remains to be seen, but given that the Sanders wing of the party seems to be ascendant gives me hope.

Rabble posted:

They've been blaming everyone else but themselves. They'll probably run Hillary's email server in 2020.

Pretty much every Democratic Party figure I've heard speak since the election seems to acknowledge that the Dems need to adopt more economic populism as part of their platform.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 18, 2016

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

that was fyad
lowtax lied subforums died

i watched lowtax start a loving war :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This would be a relief

NSA Director Adm Mike Rogers is the leading candidate to be Trump's first Director of National Intelligence. Story imminent on @WSJ

https://twitter.com/damianpaletta/status/799684781688627200

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Rsherlock/status/799694744414785542

loving christ

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Majorian posted:

I think a lot of them at least realize that they can't keep doing what they've been doing. Whether they'll learn their lesson in time for 2018 remains to be seen, but given that the Sanders wing of the party seems to be ascendant gives me hope.

Pretty much every Democratic Party figure I've heard speak since the election seems to acknowledge that the Dems need to adopt more economic populism as part of their platform.

I'll believe the party of bland lip service when I see it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

That doesn't look like MaggotMaster

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

This would be a relief

NSA Director Adm Mike Rogers is the leading candidate to be Trump's first Director of National Intelligence. Story imminent on @WSJ

Problem is, DNI is a pretty weak position. I'm not encouraged by his DCIA pick, in the meantime.

Business Gorillas posted:

I'll believe the party of bland lip service when I see it

Yeah, well, at this point I'm less focused on policy than on politics. They may not pony up once they're elected, but I fundamentally reject the notion that the party that got a black dude name Barack Hussein Obama elected twice, can't find a candidate who can balance all the essential components of the Dem coalition in 2020.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Majorian posted:

The problem is, nobody wants their special interest to fall by the wayside, so a lot of people are arguing AGAINST economic populism because they somehow think it'll turn the Democratic Party into some giant conservative christian racist gay-bashing organization or something.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

theblackw0lf posted:

This would be a relief

Is Mike Rogers a legit good candidate or is this just a "well it could be worse" thing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Majorian posted:

Problem is, DNI is a pretty weak position. I'm not encouraged by his DCIA pick, in the meantime.

Yeah, well, at this point I'm less focused on policy than on politics. They may not pony up once they're elected, but I fundamentally reject the notion that the party that got a black dude name Barack Hussein Obama elected twice, can't find a candidate who can balance all the essential components of the Dem coalition in 2020.

I would argue that B. Hussein Obama got elected in spite of the party but I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm just cautious about the DNC letting the left kick the football after swiping it out from under them every single time they've offered it in the past

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Trump's Scream Team as a nice ring to it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

HorseRenoir posted:

Is Mike Rogers a legit good candidate or is this just a "well it could be worse" thing
Legit good candidate.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Mahoning posted:

The problem is, nobody wants their special interest to fall by the wayside, so a lot of people are arguing AGAINST economic populism because they somehow think it'll turn the Democratic Party into some giant conservative christian racist gay-bashing organization or something.

I think it's less of this and more of those people not really being for economic populism in the first place.

The uniting factor behind the "WHAT ABOUT [minority], YOU RACIST?!?!" attitude whenever populism comes up is that it almost exclusively comes from people who are doing pretty well in the current economy. I've never seen a short order cook or a steel worker with that attitude, it's always lawyers and people in tech for some reason.

Edit: its a very dangerous line to skirt minority issues being "special interest". Anyone who believes that there's some kind of zero sum between economic and social justice doesn't deserve to have a seat at the table.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 18, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MariannaSotomay/status/799651517070512128

Well there goes Nikki Haley's cushy cabinet position

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

crazy cloud posted:

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

Just wanted you to know I appreciated this and got a much needed laugh on a really lovely day.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Yes he did, dumbass. Those are your values.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

She probably only said that because she knows she isn't going to get a position. Yet, she still went on to praise him and what his presidency will do to further their conservative goals.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes he did, dumbass. Those are your values.

Not really their values are to be a lot less obvious about it.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

the popes toes posted:

I would like to think the left is reflexively protective of Muslims because they realize that firstly, they comprise a large portion of our immigrants and immigrants always become the new working class, and secondly, the majority of those Muslims are fleeing a chaos of which the US was complicit.

The first reason is somewhat based on principled citizenship, the other on guilt.

I know this is pages old by now, but... One of the weird things about talking to the American Right about your beliefs as a leftist is that they always think you have them for political expediency rather than because you actually believe these things. Sheltering innocent people from a horrible war? Nah, you don't believe that, you just want more voters. And it leads to weird, lovely descriptions like this:

quote:

However instead of using those explanations, the worst of the left reach for, "Because I'm not a loving racist and you shouldn't profile brown people!" Which is answered by the worst of the right, "Neither am I but you should profile people who want to kill you."

And the conversation, if it ever was one, just goes down the poo poo chute.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Chris Van Hollen is the new DSCC Chairman.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/chris-van-hollen-democratic-senatorial-campaign-committee

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I think the Dems can manage to balance both sides of the spectrum well enough. They've done it before, not so long ago. I'm not saying they necessarily will, but I don't see much reason to write it off as a possibility at the moment.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

By the sounds of it this is another Democratic establishment guy. So the Democrats have decided not to learn any lessons at all. Goddamn I was tally hoping to not have 8 years of Trump.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

By the sounds of it this is another Democratic establishment guy. So the Democrats have decided not to learn any lessons at all. Goddamn I was tally hoping to not have 8 years of Trump.

Who do you think would be better for the job of DSCC chair?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

KomradeX posted:

No one wanted the job because it will consist of 2 years of hard work to only lose 2-3 senate seats and then you'll get yelled at for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm confused by that Mike Rogers story since I saw another article saying that the DNI position would be scrapped?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Van Hollen is pretty good IMO.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

KomradeX posted:

It's the Senate, he's new, and they're defending a bunch of seats in 2018. They're basically sending him to the slaughter, so I wouldn't read much into this.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 18, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I think it's a little too early to be throwing in the towel. Throw in the towel when 2018 happens and the democrats lose because of their full-throated endorsement of trump and read it as "we're too far to the left".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zegermans posted:

No one wanted the job because it will consist of 2 years of hard work to only lose 2-3 senate seats and then you'll get yelled at for it.

If the Dems only lose 2-3 seats in 2018, then Van Hollen will have done an amazing job or the national political climate and mid-term electorate dramatically shifted.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

quote:

He previously chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the House Democrats' campaign arm, from 2007-11.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/799709737386475520

:sigh:

• Locked thread