Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's some dedication to saving a head. I wonder if he weighted the cost in time vs the cost of just buying a new head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I looked into that the last time it was posted, and it was a promod cylinder head worth about $15,000, so yeah it was worth the labour to fix it, and it's a pretty regular thing to do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

It's like the machine shop version of those Russian bodyshop forums.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The original combustion chamber doesn't seem like it was perfectly round and hemispherical, and most modern ones are not, but the "new" one seems to be?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

:gizz: the mid 80's really was a golden age in rally history. That S1 is an all time favorite car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I desperately want this to be successful.

Edit: Oh, good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Drivetrain Nerdgasm Alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glf_k4qGBAA

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

CharlesM posted:

Mazda unveiled a new Daytona Prototype (IMSA DPi) called the RT24-P.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/news/a31587/mazda-unveils-stunning-new-rt24-p-daytona-prototype-international/

It's powered by 600hp 2.0L 4-cylinder. No rotary. :(

How on earth can you get 600 hp out of a 2-liter, 4 cyl engine? Like, I'm seriously curious... and it's going to last a whole 24 hours at LeMons?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

How on earth can you get 600 hp out of a 2-liter, 4 cyl engine? Like, I'm seriously curious... and it's going to last a whole 24 hours at LeMons?

Being turbo makes it a lot easier.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Boost? And no, but it will last a whole 24 hours at Daytona.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

BMW got 1000 hp out of a 1.6? liter 4 cyl. But that was using a lot of boost and exotic fuel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are 2000hp 4G63s on methanol.

The TS050 LMP1 car toyota is running this year is a 989hp 2.4l V6tt and those are supposed to last 24 hours or halfway through a tire wall, whichever comes first.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nissan was getting 400hp out of a 1.5l 3-cylinder, so just hang another 500cc pot off that and... uhhh... I don't think I did the math right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, most bike manufacturers are selling liter bikes making 200hp with a full warranty, Kawasaki sells a supercharged 998cc bike that makes >300hp stock. As in not hand grenades.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

There are 2000hp 4G63s on methanol.

The TS050 LMP1 car toyota is running this year is a 989hp 2.4l V6tt and those are supposed to last 24 hours or halfway through a tire wall, whichever comes first.

Or the turbo blows up, ya know :smith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo, most bike manufacturers are selling liter bikes making 200hp with a full warranty, Kawasaki sells a supercharged 998cc bike that makes >300hp stock. As in not hand grenades.

200hp NA, at that.

Granted you could never get away with the maintenance interval in a car :v:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The poo poo you can do with weld/machine is pretty goddamn incredible. My company manufactures and refurbishes injection molds, and we get some back that are 20 years old and the steel is loving swiss cheese. Machine out the rot, fill with weld, machine and grind back to flatness and it's good to punch out another billion preforms.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

BMW got 1000 hp out of a 1.6? liter 4 cyl. But that was using a lot of boost and exotic fuel.

1.5L :getin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M12

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

The poo poo you can do with weld/machine is pretty goddamn incredible. My company manufactures and refurbishes injection molds, and we get some back that are 20 years old and the steel is loving swiss cheese. Machine out the rot, fill with weld, machine and grind back to flatness and it's good to punch out another billion preforms.

I work for a company that does heavy equipment manufacturing. Every time the machine shop fucks up a steel piece (as long as it's not some sort of fancy alloy or heat treated), we send it to be welded up and remachined. Pretty common process.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Speaking of heavily welded heads, here's an interesting one. http://www.topplocksverkstan.se/volvo16vrc.html

The original turbo years of F1 were awesome. Yes, there's the BMW I4 but it was nearly undriveable. The purpose designed V6s though, like the TAG Porsche, the Renault, the Cosworth (though it never got put in a good car) and especially the Honda... the BMW was scraping 1100 to 1400 in qualifying and then being junked, while the V6 cars were making an honest 1000hp for the full race distance, at least before '88 when they cut the boost pressure and limited fuel consumption.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Ep 1 of the Grant Tour is live on Prime Video now.

It's great. Hooray!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

"We can spin the tires up through 170mph in the dry."

:stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well the thing does have fourteen hundred loving horsepower

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Well the thing does have fourteen hundred loving horsepower

Plus the other 500 from the rear direct drive electric motors

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

HandlingByJebus posted:

Ep 1 of the Grant Tour is live on Prime Video now.

It's great. Hooray!

What an awesome intro. I subscribed to Prime this week just for this show.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre finally using freevalve

God yes

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That man is seriously amazing. The tech they put into their cars is just absurdly phenomenal :h:

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

I looked up how F1 engines make 900+ hp out of 2L V6s (I think those are the specs) and the answer seems to be boost, lightweight everything, extra lightweight/extra expensive materials used for rotating & reciprocating parts, dinky piston heads, and wider bores/shorter strokes than your average 2L. Then take into account that the engine only needs to last one season and that each team has multiple engines to split the workload.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

stranger danger posted:

I looked up how F1 engines make 900+ hp out of 2L V6s (I think those are the specs) and the answer seems to be boost, lightweight everything, extra lightweight/extra expensive materials used for rotating & reciprocating parts, dinky piston heads, and wider bores/shorter strokes than your average 2L. Then take into account that the engine only needs to last one season and that each team has multiple engines to split the workload.

Currently formula is 1.6L turbo 6-cylinder engines making about 800-900HP then have an electric boost.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sure, but shortly after this photo was taken, it was towed away because the driver couldn't get it out of first gear.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

stranger danger posted:

Being able to rev into the stratosphere helps too.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The current regulation limits power by fuel flow - and it's actually about 750ish on the IC engine and then electric boost. It's a technically cool regulation because it's directly driving better efficiency - the only way to make more power is to better use the fuel you're allowed, whether through efficient engines or better recovery of the exhaust heat. But it also means there's not as much incentive to rev the things really hard because, well, friction.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

stranger danger posted:

Also F1 engines have to last multiple races. You only get a hand full of engine changes a season or you get grid penalties if you go over your allotment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which triggered an amusing loophole this year, Mercedes saved up a bunch of part swaps and did everything at once because the grid place penalties only apply to one race. So you can rack up 100 grid penalties over night and it only hurts you for a single race.

Not quite as interesting a cheat as filling a tube frame with gas but there isn't much wiggle room in F1 anymore.

(the loophole was closed too, but only after Mercedes benefited from it)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Alonso got a 45 place penalty for parts swaps, it's just stupid what the sport has turned into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah F1 is often a snoozefest then you unexpectedly get something like Verstappen going balls out in the rain and reminding you why it's so awesome and you're hooked for another year.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/idzMn3K.mp4

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

...did they feed a car through a manure spreader?

...can you do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why does that machine have that much power? Is it really that hard to shred poo poo?