Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unionization of college workers has some momentum going .

Welp . Had some momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/799669442741420035

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fullhouse posted:

it is really hosed up that university presidents and football coaches are the highest paid public employees in nearly every state but athletes get nothing besides a scholarship that'll be worth a lot less if we ever actually institute free college

not to mention the hilarious ratio of administrators and support staff to actual instructors at most schools and grad assistants being hideously underpaid almost everywhere among like a dozen other things why is college so busted

at LSU people can circumvent the school itself and directly donate to the foobaw team

i imagine it's the same for the other handful of actually profitable collegiate sport programs

the argument i hear mostly is that it "makes the school look more prestigious" which is a bit better than "lol they learn teamwork"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

NumberLast posted:

You forget lacrosse

dressage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NumberLast posted:

You forget lacrosse

idk can you make a living as a lacrosse pro at your local country club

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk can you make a living as a lacrosse pro at your local country club

Not making a living at it makes it even bougier

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So the latest fake news is Apple has announced they're moving iPhone production to America.

The source of this claim? Apple asked their two major manufacturers to look into the costs in June. One did and said "Holy poo poo it'll drive costs through the roof" and the other didn't even try.

quote:

"Apple asked both Foxconn and Pegatron, the two iPhone assemblers, in June to look into making iPhones in the U.S.," a source said. "Foxconn complied, while Pegatron declined to formulate such a plan due to cost concerns."

Another source said that while Foxconn had been working on the request from Apple Inc., its biggest customer that accounts for more than 50% of its sales, Chairman Terry Gou had been less enthusiastic due to an inevitable rise in production costs.

"Making iPhones in the U.S. means the cost will more than double," the source said.

The headline on Breitbart is "Silicon Valley Bows to Trump: Apple to Build iPhones in America"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Double the cost will be seem good after trade wars quintuple the costs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Berious posted:

dressage

lmao there's collegiate dressage

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wtf even is lacrosse

i'm not googling it

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't they have like a 70% profit margin?

If the cost doubles, they'll go from $200 to $400, but they sell for around $650.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Apple here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pomp posted:

wtf even is lacrosse

i'm not googling it

Hockey on a field but not field hockey

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm with him.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Pomp posted:

wtf even is lacrosse

i'm not googling it

A sport started by I believe the Iroquois to simulate war.

Now frat bros play it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm with him too.

And by him of course I mean Jeb!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at LSU people can circumvent the school itself and directly donate to the foobaw team

i imagine it's the same for the other handful of actually profitable collegiate sport programs

the argument i hear mostly is that it "makes the school look more prestigious" which is a bit better than "lol they learn teamwork"

you being a tennis player explains a lot,

not every institution of higher learning gives out PhDs ya dumbass. it's not like being on a sports team precludes students from opening up intellectually, too. I already talked about the DI level being hosed up. but that's probably more of a symptom of undergraduate at large institutions not caring about the overall development of their students anyways, they're more diploma factories. the big D1 NCAA sports get away with emphasizing the athlete part and ignoring the student part sucks but isn't representative of the whole system, even if its the part that makes the money.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pomp posted:

wtf even is lacrosse

i'm not googling it

it's hockey if you played hockey with a cartoon bug catching net like spongebob

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

comingafteryouall posted:

not every institution of higher learning gives out PhDs ya dumbass. it's not like being on a sports team precludes students from opening up intellectually, too. I already talked about the DI level being hosed up. but that's probably more of a symptom of undergraduate at large institutions not caring about the overall development of their students anyways, they're more diploma factories. the big D1 NCAA sports get away with emphasizing the athlete part and ignoring the student part sucks but isn't representative of the whole system, even if its the part that makes the money.

lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this all sounds very fake

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

this all sounds very fake

basically it's the sport you play if you aren't big enough for football and have a love for cocaine

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yeah there's a big difference between big DI programs and being a DIII athlete like I was. At the DIII level you're just doing it for fun and while they still take it seriously academics are treated as the priority, at the DI level some of these guys are practically pros and academics are treated as an annoyance. Lots of DI football players major in the most easy, worthless degree possible just to be technically eligible to play.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

hosed up that the NFL gets a free minor league of unpaid interns and they all have to pretend to go to school while they do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fullhouse posted:

hosed up that the NFL gets a free minor league of unpaid interns and they all have to pretend to go to school while they do it

The worst is since they aren't employees there is no workers comp or anything if they get hurt on the job!

It's totally ludicrous and inhumane.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

They do get a real actual valid college diploma out of it at least

REPORTED
Feb 15, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm with him.

He's with us.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

They do get a real actual valid college diploma out of it at least

No they get that for going to classes and performing the class work. I don't think you get credits for playing a sport. Maybe a couple.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah there's a big difference between big DI programs and being a DIII athlete like I was. At the DIII level you're just doing it for fun and while they still take it seriously academics are treated as the priority, at the DI level some of these guys are practically pros and academics are treated as an annoyance. Lots of DI football players major in the most easy, worthless degree possible just to be technically eligible to play.

which is exactly what we're tolkien about here since it's in the context of college coaches bein paid more than the heads of their university's medical schools or deans of their universities or even the governors of their state while

Fullhouse posted:

but that's apparently ok since they learn the value of teamwork and emotions or some poo poo

NCAA sports should be about demanding excellence from student-athletes and focused on teaching them life lessons. It's different than the classroom, emotions are higher and teamwork is really emphasized.

lol again

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which is exactly what we're tolkien about here since it's in the context of college coaches bein paid more than the heads of their university's medical schools or deans of their universities or even the governors of their state while

but that's apparently ok since they learn the value of teamwork and emotions or some poo poo

uh it started with a dude saying he would get rid of any sports beyond club if he could, even though he knew that wouldn't happen. everybody agreed the way DI athletes are treated sucks and college coaches should have a pay cap.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Texas football makes 180 million a year . Half of that to the players and other student staff would mean 100 guys and women split 90 million

Seems fair to me but what do I know.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

No they get that for going to classes and performing the class work. I don't think you get credits for playing a sport. Maybe a couple.

The post I was replying to counted that as part of the internship

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't they have like a 70% profit margin?

If the cost doubles, they'll go from $200 to $400, but they sell for around $650.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Apple here.

Also they can do what video game consoles do and lose money on the initial sale of the hardware but then recoup the loss on app/game/music/etc sales. It'd mean MUCH less frequent iPhone releases though since yearly releases of hardware they lose money on wouldn't make sense.

Like I don't doubt that Apple would much rather keep the numbers where they are now rather than move production to America but they've got options.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

so the democrats want to retake the rustbelt and south by dismantling college football. accelerationism engaged.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had lunch with the leader of a group of generals/admirals that acted as surrogates for Hillary today. He was pissed about all the campaign gently caress ups and is looking to form an organization for high level officers to advocate for the progressive agenda. All of these liberal military establishment folk seem ready to back Bernie and his progressives so that's another win.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MaxxBot posted:

I'm with him too.

And by him of course I mean Jeb!

Low energy cheerleading

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Der Meister posted:

so the democrats want to retake the rustbelt and south by dismantling college football. accelerationism engaged.

but you see, we need to engage the working class by defending the intellectual purity of our institutions of higher learning that have 40,000 students

Venom Snake posted:

Had lunch with the leader of a group of generals/admirals that acted as surrogates for Hillary today. He was pissed about all the campaign gently caress ups and is looking to form an organization for high level officers to advocate for the progressive agenda. All of these liberal military establishment folk seem ready to back Bernie and his progressives so that's another win.

so you're saying we're getting a military coup?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ugh. My local dem meeting is on thanksgiving. Somehow, I doubt they're actually going to meet then.

You'd think they'd see that and reschedule.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Der Meister posted:

louisiana state democrats convinced the republicans in the legislature to work w/ them on fixing the gaping holes in the budget that jindal left b/c it would've shut down the state gov't which includes LSU and therefore tiger football

they'll hafta do it again next year too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

The post I was replying to counted that as part of the internship

The diploma is a right earned by meeting the graduation requirements

They don't just hand you a diploma after playing 3 years at left tackle

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

louisiana state democrats convinced the republicans in the legislature to work w/ them on fixing the gaping holes in the budget that jindal left b/c it would've shut down the state gov't which includes LSU and therefore tiger football

they'll hafta do it again next year too

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats a super creative and smart way to sell leftist ideas, tbh.

• Locked thread