Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

carcinofuck posted:

2. When you slow down to make a 90 degree turn on streets, do you generally grab the clutch and shift down as you're braking, or do you just brake and then shift down after you've slowed down most/all of the way?
I usually shift down and just engine brake as I approach. If I still need to lose speed I'll use the brake once I'm down to second gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I would never "split" on the left side of a single lane. That means you're riding in the center of the road, on the double yellow. Not only is that illegal everywhere, but one bad move and you get piledriven by a car going the other way.

Based on WA's latest draft of lane splitting legislation, that's how you're supposed to do it.

Madness.

Thanks WSP.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I split everywhere, in every lane configuration, at all speeds and all times. If the exit ramp is backed up, I split that depending on which side of the lane is being hogged by cars. If both sides are hogged, I'll sidle up on the shoulder.

But generally keep it below 50mph. Different story in the county, but if I'm doing 50 on a freeway in LA I'm pretty happy as it is

If you're on the freeway split the far left lanes until you need to exit, or if you need to pass a slower splitter who isn't paying attention to their mirrors you can go around on the lane to the right.

Just take it easy at first. When faster people get up on your rear end, be polite and let them pass, they got poo poo to do.

Give a peace sign or thumbs up to cars who notice you and move out of your way.

Keep an eye out for people changing lanes without signals. If they merge into you, just deal with it. Maybe give them a little horn if it's real bad but I usually just go around them

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I filtered today in Illinois; I've gotten a lecture from a driver in the past for doing that ("you could get killed! or arrested!"), but the guy in the left lane decided after a while that he was going to put on his left turn signal, and the guys in the right lane were all signaling right. So I was the only one going forward. I'm sure it's illegal in Illinois/Chicago, but that is one of the few instances in which I will just say "gently caress it" and filter to the front at a light.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

carcinofuck posted:

I hold the clutch then shift down rapidly to the lowest gear that will match my slowest speed through the turn, then gradually let the clutch go as I get there and roll the throttle. Is this wrong? Or different from what you do?

I'm not sure you're saying you do this, but don't downshift to a much lower gear while still going too fast to ride around in that gear; it'll make the cogs spin way too fast. I.e. don't be going 60, grab the clutch, already downshift to 2nd, braking while clutched in.

Interestingly I've been taking some car driving lessons (I'm really rusty as I haven't really driven a car in 10 years) and there the instructor told me to, when coming to a stop, always coast in the highest gear and only downshift when you're either stopped or ready to drive off again. Seems stupid to me, I always downshift through all the gears for more engine braking and you're ready to take off should you need to.

As for filtering, it's legal here through traffic jams but not at lights, and I don't like doing it at lights unless there's a huge queue. Especially don't like doing it if there's turn lanes as the person I'm next to might they need to turn after all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah, that seems weird. Even in a car you should always be in the appropriate gear for your speed, in case you need to gtfo of somewhere

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Pretty good little tips video on filtering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTniLBxIl1I

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I just did 400 miles today on a 1200 Sportster with straight pipes.

I was wearing earplugs, but everything sounds a little robotic now. On a scale from one to eeeeeeeeeeeee how hosed am I?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

revmoo posted:

I was wearing earplugs, but everything sounds a little robotic now. On a scale from one to eeeeeeeeeeeee how hosed am I?

Only takes once.

I never recovered from this one Mastodon show.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss

You might not have tinnitus but you likely dinged your hearing a bit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

I did 14 miles on an r6 with a straight pipe yesterday and I salute your dedication to relentlessly punching yourself in the face.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You'll be fine

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BlackMK4 posted:

You'll be fine

Feeling better already. It is probably like that feeling you get after a day at the theme park.

Can someone now explain how Harleys are supposed to be comfortable? The ergos on this thing are poo poo. The oem bars are so far forward that you are constantly pulling on the bars to hang on. I called the stealership while I was in a town to see if it was possible to loosen the top clamp and rotate the bars back for more sweep.
They said yes and that it would be $40. To do four allen bolts.

Said thanks but no thanks. In the end I started putting the passenger pegs into rotation during the long hauls just to get a decent BP on the thing. Also it has a Mustang seat which has a back section that is just painful.

Is a sportster set up with proper mid controls less poo poo? I can deal with the "charming" chassis flex, junk brakes, and ww2 era motor, but the actual feel is crap to me. This is my best friend's bike so if there is a way to un-gently caress the ergos I would love to hear suggestions.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

You'll be fine

This.
I listened to lovely punk rock at full loving volume (headphones and big fuckoff 80's complex speakers+stereos), went to tons of shows for a bout a decade, and toured for a couple of years without plugs.
For fun I'd sit with my forehead against my Ampeg Classic 8x10 cab driven by my 1600w svt4 pro and jam out for hours on end when I had my own house.

I never wore hearing protection when I hung out at the Dyno shop, my first 3 bikes were open-headers and I had a lovely helmet.

I can still hear just fine up to 17khz, and have only slight hearing loss from 17-22khz.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I went to a really mediocre metal show at Larimer Lounge on a Tuesday without plugs and I still have ringing in my ears

Still wear earplugs tho, riding bikes is better with earplugs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

WHAT?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I definitely have hearing loss from loud shows without plugs. Not sure where my tinnitus came from specifically, but loud concerts are the one loud thing that I never wore plugs for. I grew up shooting, and never shot without them, even when shooting rimfire.

And yeah, it really only takes once to do permanent damage. You're dumb if you think you can expose yourself to that kind of noise without some effect. Granted, once might not be enough to notice, or it might not bother you But there's plenty of research showing mechanical damage to all your little cilia and delicate poo poo in your ears.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A childhood full of ear infections and ear tubes, and a later childhood and adolescence spent riding two stroke dirt bikes has left me with pretty gnarly tinnitus and hearing loss. I didn't start wearing ear plugs until I started street riding in my early 20's.

The only plus (if you can call it that) is that the tinnitus started so early I've just always been used to it. I can definitely see how it would drive someone insane who got it later in life.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A childhood full of ear infections and ear tubes, and a later childhood and adolescence spent riding two stroke dirt bikes has left me with pretty gnarly tinnitus and hearing loss. I didn't start wearing ear plugs until I started street riding in my early 20's.

The only plus (if you can call it that) is that the tinnitus started so early I've just always been used to it. I can definitely see how it would drive someone insane who got it later in life.

The worst thing about it for me is it's the loudest when I'm somewhere very quiet. It gets brutal when I'm hunting or just sitting on a rock watching the desert or something and start thinking about it. Like I just want to be peaceful right now but EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Cannot sleep without a fan or some kind of white noise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the annoyingness of tinnitus is pretty much inverse to the level of noise wherever you are. Mine pretty much is white noise to me, I'm just so used to it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My tinnitus is from guns and bombs going off in close proximity to my head, I think a modern Plato would say something like "only the dead can hear silence"

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

High Protein posted:

Interestingly I've been taking some car driving lessons (I'm really rusty as I haven't really driven a car in 10 years) and there the instructor told me to, when coming to a stop, always coast in the highest gear and only downshift when you're either stopped or ready to drive off again. Seems stupid to me, I always downshift through all the gears for more engine braking and you're ready to take off should you need to.

That's serendipitous, I'm going for my car drivers license right now! Dutch driving lesson buds!

High Protein posted:

As for filtering, it's legal here through traffic jams but not at lights, and I don't like doing it at lights unless there's a huge queue. Especially don't like doing it if there's turn lanes as the person I'm next to might they need to turn after all.

Not at lights? I thought that was still okay because the scrapped law that could be interpreted as anti splitting (a lane cannot be shared by vehicles) did not specify a particular situation, nor did a new law got introduced to the tune of "don't share lanes when not not the highway".

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Oh and I have slight tinnitus from riding bikes. Probably from trying to drown out wind noise by listening to music a little too loud.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

karms posted:

Not at lights? I thought that was still okay because the scrapped law that could be interpreted as anti splitting (a lane cannot be shared by vehicles) did not specify a particular situation, nor did a new law got introduced to the tune of "don't share lanes when not not the highway".

Seems you're right!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EX250 Type R posted:

My tinnitus is from guns and bombs going off in close proximity to my head, I think a modern Plato would say something like "only the dead can hear silence"

Mug dad has it something terrible from Vietnam. Apparently they used to be able to load bombs on running jets back then with no ear protection, and apparently that's super bad for your ears!!

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I finally found the slow leak that my DL650s rear tire has. It looks like it's between the rim and the edge of my tire.

Is the best course of action breaking the bead and reseating the tire?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I suppose that would depend on why it is leaking

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

The rim doesn't seem to be dented. I poked there gently with a flathead screwdriver to see if there was a piece of gravel or something to pop loose but no dice.

The tire was brand new, and then I did a ~2000 mile trip on it. Now that I think of it, maybe the shop that mounted the tire immediately pre-trip may have mounted it poorly? Since the problem showed up right after the trip (the leak is so slow there wasn't a chance for it to show up during the trip).

At first I thought this leak was from me messing up patching the giant screw that punctured the rear at one point during the same trip, but that appears to have held just fine.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I try to do all my tires myself because I am an idiot but I think once maybe twice I had a leak from where the tire didn't seat correctly and taking it to a shop they just broke the bead, swapped on some sealer stuff, and reseated it and that was all it needed. I think another time I damaged the bead with levers and it didn't want to hold air but they can sustain a surprising amount of visible damage as far as some of my earliest attempts at tire changes showed me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Break bead, clean area, check for any scuffs or scratches that could be contributing to the leak, reseat the bead and it should be good.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How much do you guys pay for timing belts/where do you get them from? I want to replace the belts on my monster 620 and the local parts store wants 91 bucks a belt for them. From ebay it looks like I can pay about 110 for both (including shipping) but I will receive them at some point between next month and the heat death of the universe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My motorycles have timing chains, so I don't. :smugdog:

When I buy car timing belts I get them from RockAuto. Dunno if they sell motorcycle parts as well.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Should have probably mentioned I'm in australia haha

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

abigserve posted:

Should have probably mentioned I'm in australia haha

You're hosed, mate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ducati: You're hosed, mate!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's australian, he won't understand that. Here:

YA FACKED MOOOOYTE

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

He's australian, he won't understand that. Here:

YA FACKED MOOOOYTE

:lol:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

fuckin yanks

Guess I'll get em from the local store then

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

abigserve posted:

fuckin yanks

Guess I'll get em from the local store then

Don't lump me in with the trumpians, I'm a proud sheep shagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can get them from cacycleworks but shipping over the pond might be a doozy.