Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Uh, how was there an active gas line to the house and how did the ignition happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Show waited until episode 10 to get really bad, best season since season one.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

a shameful boehner posted:

Uh, how was there an active gas line to the house and how did the ignition happen

Jesus christ, I don't even know what the hell that was supposed to be. I mean I guess it's possible? It doesn't matter. The whole place is haunted though and I guess the thing with Lee saying, If the place wasn't so pretty people wouldn't move here was a point but not a very good one in terms of whether there's a house or not, people will always build their McMansions and cum castles or whatever, so it doesn't really matter whether there's an actual building on the property on not... people build houses on land all the time, it's a thing they do. Blowing up the house doesn't 'solve' anything. It probably will piss off Mott even more though and he will be howling in the next McMansion built about what an abomination it is. The Chens will continue being assholes. The rest don't give a poo poo.

Also, it's kinda lame how hillbilly the Polks were...I mean I get the whole stereotype thing but jesus loving christ dude. I've lived in LA, SF, Portland, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Virginia, and sometimes go to the outer banks in NC... I've seen some hillbillies but even hillbillies have better digs now, dude. I'm not insulted 'culturally' so much as I am annoyed...not that I am watching this for any kind of realism or anything but good god, really, would have been cool it have been if the Polks in the reality show were shown as such disturbing primitive hillbillies but then the 'real' Polks were like all about having cable and running water and a sweet set of loveseats and gaming systems, just like modern regular hillbillies watching HGTV and Mama Polk is wearing something from the Laura Ashley collection and having some doll fetish or something. The civil war flag is framed neatly and respectfully at the entrance or some poo poo. They have a koi pond or something, I don't loving know.
I dunno. I think it would've been kind of great in contrast to show how Sidney's interpretation of the Polks was completely off the wall nuts (to echo Ryan Murphy's) and they decided to sue him or something.
Alright, getting too up my own rear end here, I just think, I've seen levels of this kind of insanity before in this show, why not now, it would've been kind of awesome.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 18, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Not sure what you mean - it's not as though natural gas and propane are that rare in the Carolinas, and you don't have to install lines - when you live that far off-grid you generally have a storage tank connected to the house.

Not even bothering to show someone leaving the stoves and stuff going though was a pretty big continuity gap, though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LadyPictureShow posted:

If anything, I wish they would've spent more time on the g-g-g-ghosts! Some of them looked really cool; I remember that brief shot they did of burned Mason in (I think) ep 6. Shoulda been a 13 ep season and the last three eps are just the ghosts horsin' around with each other, Mott-ghost getting more and more pissed off every time new ghosts are added. Got Ambrose staring off into the middle distance while a seventies era ghost yammers on about how no band will EVER be as good as Earth, Wind and Fire'.

'I miss Pokemon Go...'
'I do so very much miss my nipple rouge...'

AHS always goes off the rails with divergent plot points that never get resolved or just bloat the story. I would have liked if none of the other residents of the Roanoke house stayed around after they were murdered and just the colonial ghosts exist. The whole Polk kidnapping plotline could have been cooler if the real Butcher kidnapped them instead and did the identical thing with skinning and butchering them. Maybe make some rule that ghosts can be killed permanently during the blood moon or something.

Hell I bet the ghost residents weren't even going to be included without the Chen family. Ryan Murphy wanted some creepy wall climbing ghosts and boom, there's four additional ghost resident groups to include and build story and airtime around.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Lmao you are all joyless fucks this is great

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Like I said, it's those little things they actively choose to mention that make everything screwy, when they could just as easily say something else and make it make sense. Have Flora mention that Priscilla had the colony depose of Mason's body so her mom wouldn't get in trouble. Have the Polks come across Mason, who wasn't quite dead, and offer him to the colonists. Have a quick shot of Lee or Priscilla turning on the stove so the explosion makes sense. Have it be one of those old traps the crew set up that never got shown again.

And then there's the big things that they do just to do them and don't think it through. And the sad part is, a lot of them are good ideas, but they don't tie them together in a meaningful way. Case in point, the heart ritual. Having Lee become the new Butcher is something I didn't see coming and actually would have made the story all the more tragic/creepy. But then she goes and shrugs it off and wakes up in the yard completely unscathed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and these are all details they may very well could have thought about and were unable to do. But I think what really happens is Murphy has some ideas that he absolutely must make happen, and the story has to bend to that. I'm sure he had The Lana Winters Special planned from the start, and he needed somebody to get interviewed. And I'm sure it was always really all about Flora for the ending, despite her being so unimportant as a character.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's kind of his thing. I never followed Nip/Tuck so I don't know how far it stretches back, but every summer between seasons of Glee was somewhat affectionately known as 'Ryan Murphy's Summer of Lies'. The man has a habit of telling the press and fans what seems to be every single idea he has for a show, or actors he wants in a show, then maybe one or two of those actually make it in.

So what you're saying is he's the Peter Molyneux of TV?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He actually gets well regarded shows done so that may not be so apt a comparison

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I can jive with that comparison for sure.

I feel like people are overthinking TV too much. I know this is TVIV and all, but not every little thing needs to be explained. Though with that said I have a theory: Mason being all strung up like that could have been an embellishment. Maybe Matt and Shelby knew Lee killed Mason, and helped her cover it because poo poo was crazy enough already. Maybe they just told Sidney they found his body in the woods and he jazzed it up for the reenactment.

Really though, who cares. Especially when it's the only big plothole type thing in the season, really, which is great considering this is AHS.

I hope that if nothing else, Murphy sticks to a ten episode season again next year. It really helped.

e: i just remembered the cops having a rare moment of being involved was totes with mason's death wasn't it, so likely not played up for tv

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 18, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MadSparkle posted:

Why didn't Lady Gaga show up at the interviews, it would've been cool to have her there too in the house when the real (loving creepy for real) witch was banging Matt. That scene was particularly :stonk: ... you know they made Gaga look all nasty or whatever with poo poo teeth but the real witch pretty much looked like a scuttling dung beetle.

Uh wow, I must've looked away for a second or something, I don't remember this at all. Anyone got a screenshot/gif handy? E: nevermind, still had it recorded... eww

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 18, 2016

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's kind of his thing. I never followed Nip/Tuck so I don't know how far it stretches back,

I and many other can assure you, if "going off the rails" was not already a normal turn of phrase, that show would've been the loving reason to invent it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That's the show about plastic surgeons but somehow had them fighting gender bending serial killers , isn't it

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That's the show about plastic surgeons but somehow had them fighting gender bending serial killers , isn't it

Transgender serial killers and ghosts.
So it can apply for the spooky tag

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There may have also been neo-nazis involved

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

That was the most God awful finale...

I could've done without that whole second half of the season actually. First half was pretty dang good too!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Nip/Tuck is amazing if only for the sheer amount of bizarre characters and situations. Like the doctor they hire who loves loving furniture and the lovely son who becomes a mime/criminal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I know about Nip/Tuck is that in the first episode someone gets eaten by an alligator, and I feel that's enough.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nip/Tuck was batshit crazy. In I think the last season someone was murdered by being filled with stuffing like a toy bear.

It was fantastic :allears:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

Nip/Tuck was batshit crazy. In I think the last season someone was murdered by being filled with stuffing like a toy bear.

It was fantastic :allears:

Nip/Tuck was truly a great, loving crazyballs show.

Was the serial killer transgender? I thought the Transgender person who ended up trying to steal the straight laced doctor's son from him was separate from either of the two serial killers that stalked the 2 docs throughout the series.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Victorkm posted:

Nip/Tuck was truly a great, loving crazyballs show.

Was the serial killer transgender? I thought the Transgender person who ended up trying to steal the straight laced doctor's son from him was separate from either of the two serial killers that stalked the 2 docs throughout the series.

There was a bisexual serial killer that didn't have a dick but he wasn't transgender.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

GobiasIndustries posted:

That was far from the last season. There was plenty of crazy after that.

Victorkm posted:

Yeah, the serial killer was transgender. Famke Janssen played an entirely different transsexual. There were a lot of transsexuals on Nip/Tuck.

edit: nvrmind. The post above got it right about the killer. But there still was the separate transsexual.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Would have to be propane, but not unlikely.

I'm glad some people enjoyed this season although it surprises me as I feel like it was a novel idea that needed more time in the oven. I never identified or connected with any character, especially the "actors". And Paulson's cartoony accent made it feel like the whole thing was an elaborate hoax so I was never sure which deaths were real. The finale felt tacked on, it would have been better to not air it. So whatever, I won't be watching any more seasons until after they air and I get a sense of whether they are good.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I assumed the british/scottish kid with the horrible accent was making fun of the Sarah Paulson accent. I really like the different shows in the finale and the fact that the final few minutes of Lee and Flora were the only part of the whole season that were "professionally" filmed. I agree with a lot of the criticism that there were a lot of ideas that never got to see completion but for me this was a really fun season (minus the torture parts) and I am so glad they did something completely different than any of the previous seasons.

That said I can understand why a lot of people who have watched all of the other seasons didn't like this one. I stopped watching early to midway through every season except the first one and only kept watching the beginnings of new seasons because I have so much love for season 1: Murder House.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009
I overall enjoyed this season but I feel there were a lot of things left hanging. I seem to be the only one upset that Lee's first daughter was never brought up again. The woman had a child go missing years before all this other poo poo happened and no one brought it up? I also wish they would have explained how she went from bashing Mason's head in with a rock to burning him.

Also, Ryan Murphy kept hinting that Matt and Shelby were liars. But, no obvious instances of them being liars seemed to be brought up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the only major inconsistency in the re-enactments seemed to be that the real ghosts were way uglier.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Well, I decided to watch the first season again, and goddamn I forgot how good it was. I mean I still prefer season 2, but Murder House is pretty loving awesome. I haven't watched it in at least 2 years I think.
At some point I will watch Hotel again too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the only major inconsistency in the re-enactments seemed to be that the real ghosts were way uglier.

Woulda been cool if the Polks were actually really nice and were just desperate to get their kids back. Also maybe make it that Shelby and Matt ran and left the real Lee's daughter in the house during the blood moon and that was the reason that they lived. Lee's daughter was protected by the Roanoke kid, bob's your uncle, there you go.

The season definitely fell victim to too many plots and should have nixed pretty much everything about the previous tenants besides the backstory exposition episode. They even had the Roanoke set to use!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This season had a lot of the same problems the whole series has had including a shaky plot and too many loving characters. But I thought the show-within-a-show concept worked for the most part. Maybe it was taken a bit too far in the end, but it held more water for me than the clumsy bullshit they pulled last season.

The last episode was entertaining, but it went a little too far up its own rear end. But like I think someone else said, at least it was just a single bad episode and that's not enough to ruin a decent enough season for me.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Well holy poo poo, Lee (her actress) was in the first season, I had no idea.
Haha, she was the boring patient that made McDermett go all dizzy and tune out ... hilarious, he has no memory of possibly offing her.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Since Roanoke takes place in the same continuity as Asylum I'm going to pretend that everyone was beamed up by Grays right after the end of the last episode, and the world finally just goes :yikes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McSpanky posted:

Since Roanoke takes place in the same continuity as Asylum I'm going to pretend that everyone was beamed up by Grays right after the end of the last episode, and the world finally just goes :yikes:

It's ALL in the same continuity now. Maybe someone will hire the witches to get rid of the ghost colonists. Though last time we saw witch vs. ghost it didn't go well for the witch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think it's extremely lame to connect all of the seasons so explicitly. Subtle nods to other seasons here or there would be much better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've been connecting the seasons explicitly since season four, why all the complaining now? The only one that bugs me personally is Coven being connected with the whole telling the world about witches thing.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Joking aside, a season centered in Washington, even around the White House, isn't the worst idea. There are various ghost stories and supernatural occurrences you could work with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

McSpanky posted:

I miss Pepper :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So let's do a checklist. Their theme settings have been freak show carnival, insane asylum, haunted house, haunted house surrounded by haunted land, haunted hotel, and New Orleans. What's next?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Haunted cruise ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
haunted summer camp :laugh:

• Locked thread