Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i imagine the coming trump presidency is gonna be loving terrible and weirdly hilarious much like losing ones virginity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

all i think about when i associate trump and infrastructure is an easy way for tanks to get around when it's time for inevitable war

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/799630524268576768

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

liberals: there's no way clinton will lose. stop freaking out.

liberals: how bad can a Trump gov't be? stop freaking out.

you're not a real liberal unless you're freaked out 24/7 thats why we like weed so much

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Trump saw this as his resume. It's not like voter suppression at the highest levels isn't their strategy. Expect more of this on a scale we have seen since 1950.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Turdfuzz posted:

i imagine the coming trump presidency is gonna be loving terrible and weirdly hilarious much like losing ones virginity

I had a pretty good time, everyone else? Show of hands?

*looks out on a sea of virgins*

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

They can get real rich in crisis tho

Capitalists don't need stability

note that I said "intact" not "stable". can't make money if everyone is dead

Pook Good Mook posted:

I don't have 100% certainty that the ground-level DNC operatives and organizers will be able to successfully ditch their "social identity politics all day, every day" approach by 2020.

from what I can tell, losing the identity politics angle is gonna lose a ton of minority support

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still reading up on the demographics on Michigan and PA that lost the race for Clinton, some informative stuff out there.

Sean Trende has been especially informative, talking about the hubris of the "permanent" Democratic majority since 2013. This is also interesting.

quote:

Two points demand attention. The first, which “demographics-is-destiny” types typically gloss over, is that Trump received more votes from white evangelicals than Clinton received from African-Americans and Hispanics combined. This single group very nearly cancels the Democrats’ advantage among non-whites completely. This isn’t a one-off; it was true in 2012, 2008 and 2004.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/11/16/the_god_that_failed_132363.html

Also the fact that the majority of white young people voted Trump: https://news.vice.com/story/white-people-voted-to-elect-donald-trump

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Covok posted:

Millennials don't vote.

your gimmick is super tiresome

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://theintercept.com/2016/11/18/donald-trump-hopes-to-abolish-intelligence-chief-position-reverse-cia-reforms/

lol when every domestic terror attack for the next 4 years gets blamed on this

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

People want to win. Bernie has showed them how. You don't get people motivated with platitudes and empty rhetoric. You get them motivated by making GBS threads on the other team and riling up the base. Praise be the days of appealing to idiot centrists is gone.

As a campaign operative guy - of the Democrats who are potentially in a position to do so, who do you think might be able to win in 2020?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shageletic posted:

Also the fact that the majority of white young people voted Trump: https://news.vice.com/story/white-people-voted-to-elect-donald-trump

This is not surprising. White Millennials voted for Romney and I believe Obama/McCain was close to a tie.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

probably because terrorist attacks would help advance their muslim registration/ban agenda

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

U-DO Burger posted:

this is true. Trump got elected, but most Americans hate him, and his administration is going to be loving horrifying. Fear is a great motivator for people to vote Dem, assuming Dems can actually focus on rebuilding the party

I'm not sure that Democrats need to rebuild, Clinton handily won the popular vote, Trump won because he broke all standards of decorum, ethics and basic human decency and con a bunch of rural white voters with a promises that he couldn't possibly fulfill.

Trump has already shown that his presidency is going to be a rolling, horrifying disaster, just wait until they try and turn Medicare into a voucher, and they will, and the pitchforks will come out with all the older white voters.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

As a campaign operative guy - of the Democrats who are potentially in a position to do so, who do you think might be able to win in 2020?

-Michelle Obama
-Bernard Sanders????
-Martini O'Malley
-Hillary Clinton's re-Animated Hellcorpse

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

this white millennial is eating Chipotle (i'm not really white)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

get them all jacked up

swole rear end shipyards

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Trump has already shown that his presidency is going to be a rolling, horrifying disaster, just wait until they try and turn Medicare into a voucher, and they will, and the pitchforks will come out with all the older white voters.

I've been assuming people who already have it will be grandfathered in, to prevent this exact scenario

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

comingafteryouall posted:

Trump's entire campaign is season 2 of the wire

and within 4 years the working class will have its throat slit and get dumped in a river while the criminals that conned them skate free

spoiler alert

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just take a bunch of money and spend it on poo poo, just spend it

Because what could go wrong

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Man Musk posted:

this white millennial is eating Chipotle (i'm not really white)

wow chipotle
minorities really got it rough

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Schnorkles posted:

This is not surprising. White Millennials voted for Romney and I believe Obama/McCain was close to a tie.

on behalf of white millenial men

sorry

Three Olives posted:

I'm not sure that Democrats need to rebuild, Clinton handily won the popular vote, Trump won because he broke all standards of decorum, ethics and basic human decency and con a bunch of rural white voters with a promises that he couldn't possibly fulfill.

handily is a pretty strong word to throw around when the margin is a few hundred thousand votes

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

can't wait for them to vote for the next string of conmen with the same promises!

nothing matters!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

showbiz_liz posted:

No idea. The dems need someone who is going to own who they are and run on a platform they aren't scared to talk about.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been assuming people who already have it will be grandfathered in, to prevent this exact scenario

We live in a post-fact world, think how easy it will be to just lie and say the Republicans are planning to gut Medicare?

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

just self fund medicare 3olives u fuckin rich rear end in a top hat

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Turdfuzz posted:

just self fund medicare 3olives u fuckin rich rear end in a top hat

lets kick his rear end

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

impossible to say. depends a lot on how the Trumpenreich plays out

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Karl Sharks posted:

handily is a pretty strong word to throw around when the margin is a few hundred thousand votes

I will agree with him, though. The Dems barely lost the election even running an unlikeable establishment candidate (a Clinton, no less) in a "change election". The GOP base has reached saturation, they aren't increasing their numbers. As more Boomers die off with each new election their numbers will shrink. Dems have the demographic advantage, they just need to run not poo poo candidates to actually win some elections for once.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Three Olives posted:

just wait until they try and turn Medicare into a voucher, and they will, and the pitchforks will come out with all the older white voters.

You're dreaming. We've seen over and over that these folks don't care how much the republicans hurt them, they just want to see black and brown folks hurt worse.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calde posted:

We live in a post-fact world, think how easy it will be to just lie and say the Republicans are planning to gut Medicare?

"if you're already on medicare you can keep your plan!" *soundbyte plays alongside obama saying you'll be able to keep your doctor in attack ads for months*

Let's get in that grime :getin:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo the president's top advisor literally praises Satan as a source of power.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Holy poo poo the president's top advisor literally praises Satan as a source of power.

power is power

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

keep goons outta government imo
they tend to die

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

~*the evangelical white vote*~

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Three Olives posted:

*extreme neoliberal voice* "Clinton's only problem was she didn't have an even weaker opponent to run against"

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

He's right tho

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turdfuzz posted:

jfc why am i not dead what is taking trump so loving long god this is boring

This is groundhog month until we finally learn and elect Puppy/Kitten 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Serf posted:

from what I can tell, losing the identity politics angle is gonna lose a ton of minority support

I never said that I think they should ditch it entirely, but they need to stop talking about it exclusively. I hate that the Democrats allowed themselves to start talking about economic and social class issues as a dichotomy where "never the two shall meet." They're inextricably linked.

The real thing the Democrats need to understand is that they have "allies" who in fights for social justice that aren't motivated by social justice. If they can understand that and stop the endless cycle of "who can be most accepting" they should win every election. Look at the counties Obama won in Iowa in 2008 and 2012 compared to Clinton winning the 5 counties with cities in them. White people who have to crawl under their trailer to thaw out their water pipes with a hair dryer don't give a single poo poo about acknowledging their privilege but do understand you when you say, "ya the banks totally hosed all of us and never paid for it." Frankly, Obama's biggest personal failure in his Presidency was not really going after the banks harder so people would equate Democrats=anti-bank.

• Locked thread