Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Explosionface posted:

KB wins NL MVP, surprising pretty much nobody. :toot:

Sexy and good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Not really. He was right there with any of those guys while playing GG caliber catcher.

He only played 35 of those games at catcher, which also had nothing to do with hitting, which you brought up.

You said he was robbed and also the best hitter in baseball, neither of which are true.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
after his extremely well-deserved all star spot, Addison Russell has followed it up by placing 19th in the NL MVP race.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Interesting trivia question:

Has an MVP ever recorded the final out of the world series before Bryant?

Rizzo recorded the final out

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Rizzo recorded the final out

Not according to the baseball almanac!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Not really. He was right there with any of those guys while playing GG caliber catcher.

Sanchez's OPS from August 3 (when he was called back up) was 1.052. Freeman's OPS from August 3rd was 1.169. Over 100 points of OPS is a big deal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chexoid posted:

Hmmm.... the Jays are gonna run our Carrera and Upton in the outfield next year aren't they.

no, duh, they're gonna get incredible ball player Jay Bruce.

:(

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Paul Zuvella posted:

strikeouts are attributed to the pitcher. Nice try!

By my eye it's happened twice before!

The catcher is credited with the putout on a caught third strike, foul bunt, or dropped third strike with a runner on first and less than two outs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Not according to the baseball almanac!

Then the baseball almanac is wrong!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

2013 College PotY
2014 MiLB PotY
2015 NL RotY
2016 NL MVP

Bryant good

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Mike trout is god and i hope the angels win, at some point

actually

I don't believe in the Angels and I hope he finds a better team in the future.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

MVP Highlights gotta have music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgjbzV4mUVc

Trout Takes Off

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chexoid posted:

Hmmm.... the Jays are gonna run our Carrera and Upton in the outfield next year aren't they.

Still likely the Jays sign Saunders or Bautista back for like a 2/20 or 3/60 deals. Management is still gonna be cheap asses instead of getting EE or Fowler. You could see it by the brutal Morales signing. Even the Jays revenue is up like 300+ million compared to 2012.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 18, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

a neat cape posted:

Lol how does someone from a last place team win MVP.

Your 2016/17 NBA MVP, Demarcus Cousins

MVP should be best player that season, not best player on best team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bad boy in the boy band posted:

MVP should be best player that season, not best player on best team.

:smugdog: Sometimes it's both. :smugdog:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Should have been Votto and Trout for maximum player/team disparity.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me

There are videos of people doing this and it doesn't look like fun.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Your next bowel movement might.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

Your next bowel movement might.

A new and disgusting entry in "How Many Altuves".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wish the MVP voters could be appointed as EC electors.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I defied my wife tonight

...why?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

"Because they were there"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TMMadman posted:

"Because they were there"

rip Intruder's butt, both literally and figuratively.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

They taste good

It actually wasn't that bad, I posted thinking the worst was yet to come but I was good after that

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Rangers sign Cashner 1/$10m. Ok.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Because when your wife tells you not to do something, you loving do it!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't believe Jacoby Ellsbury is going to be on my team for 4 more years.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I can't believe he is getting paid 21 million dollars a year. 7/150 for him was asinine. He had one great year and it wasn't even the year he became a free agent.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Whenever I think of Jacoby Ellsbury I think "could've had Cano." It's like a reflex at this point. :smith:

e: oh hey he hit 39 dingers this year, that's just great.

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 18, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Twins have outrighted Trevor Plouffe. :fuckoff: I hope this means the new front office is going to burn the shack they inherited to the ground and lay the foundation for something new. It's going to be a weird off-season in Minneapolis. They've got a few pieces but literally all they've got is a few pieces.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

Twins have outrighted Trevor Plouffe. :fuckoff: I hope this means the new front office is going to burn the shack they inherited to the ground and lay the foundation for something new. It's going to be a weird off-season in Minneapolis. They've got a few pieces but literally all they've got is a few pieces.

They should be shopping Dozier so goddamn hard right now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

They should be shopping Dozier so goddamn hard right now.

If he and Santana are still Twins on opening day, somethign is going horribly wrong, especially in this FA market.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bobby Cox posted:

Whenever I think of Jacoby Ellsbury I think "could've had Cano." It's like a reflex at this point. :smith:

e: oh hey he hit 39 dingers this year, that's just great.

Cano has been elite 2B for the Mariners other than those 2 and a half months in 2015 when he played through that weird stomach virus and his grandfathers death.

He still has 7/170 left through age 40 though.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 18, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Plouffe wasn't that bad the last few seasons. But this means that they're committing to either Sano or Polanco at third full time which is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't think I'd agree with something going "horribly wrong" if Dozier and Santana aren't traded, either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Plouffe wasn't that bad the last few seasons. But this means that they're committing to either Sano or Polanco at third full time which is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't think I'd agree with something going "horribly wrong" if Dozier and Santana aren't traded, either.

This team isn't competing in the next two years and they sure as poo poo are not going to resign either of them. You definitely trade them now 99/100 times.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

This team isn't competing in the next two years and they sure as poo poo are not going to resign either of them. You definitely trade them now 99/100 times.

I think they will resign, actually :v:

And no, you only trade them now if you get the right deal. Dozier especially. You can still trade them at the deadline if you don't, or the next offseason still since they both have two years (at least, Santana has an option for 2019).

Panic "OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO MAKE A TRADE NOW" deals get you Matt Capps for Wilson Ramos.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IcePhoenix posted:

I think they will resign, actually :v:

And no, you only trade them now if you get the right deal. Dozier especially. You can still trade them at the deadline if you don't, or the next offseason still since they both have two years (at least, Santana has an option for 2019).

Panic "OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO MAKE A TRADE NOW" deals get you Matt Capps for Wilson Ramos.

Agreed.

Shop them around as the FA pool is shallow and the fact this isn't their last year means the return might be better? Absolutely.

Trade them regardless of the return. Not so much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is Cano wildly underappreciated? I feel like he should already be considered a HoF lock and greatest-of-this-generation kind of player but I rarely see him mentioned as such.

Also in looking up Cano's numbers I discovered a guy named Bobby Grich who was goddamn hell rear end good, why isn't he in the hall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He is absolutely a hall of famer and should be considered a generational 2B. Now that he plays on the west coast and for the Mariners he just gets buried.

Bobby Grich has solid numbers but not so much career totals. Cano will equal Grich's total MLB games next year and already has more hits than he did by 400. And MVP-8 was the highest he got. Career WAR is really the only thing he has going for him as he had two really small separate peaks like 10 years apart.

Other baseball stats:

Beltre is going to get 3,000 next year. Pujols is going to get 3,000 in the beginning of 2018 (unless he reverts to a machine and gets it at the end of next year). Beltran is 380 hits short and a 40 year old free agent. Cabrera and Cano are the next two "locks" to get 3,000 hits if they stay healthy.

Another edit: God drat Cabrera has gotten an MVP vote every single year he has played baseball my god.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 18, 2016

• Locked thread