Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Belt Manlift sounds like it could have been one the names from that MST3K episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Strap Beefheight

Cord Hunkhoist

Cable Muskheave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

Mozi posted:

Strap Beefheight

Cord Hunkhoist

Cable Muskheave

These are also excellent posting names for your posting account needs.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Belt Manlift sounds like it could have been one the names from that MST3K episode

/emits loud but unmanly scream as hand is drawn into mechanism

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Spin Lathemeat

Blood Stumpgrind

Chunk Woodchip

Crush Loadlift

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Slip Stepgrease
Choke Sparkfume
Flap Spikeglove
Rack Plungesquash
Volt Railgrab
Slice Sweatplate

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Theris posted:

A lot of multi story factories had (and some facilities still have, especially grain elevators) the even more OSHA belt manlift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdL_st3FFw
If you're feeling particularly adventurous
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_engine

Ak Gara posted:

What happens if a really fat person tries to ride it and they're too big for the hole :ohdear:
That's what the funnel on the bottom is for.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Scalp Lowbeam

Zap Longladder

Flash Dustfire

Roll Roofangle

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Lift Neckcrunch
Crane Squashflat
Slam Dragline
Fume Zincweld

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Blast Arcflash

Dash Underload

Bob Johnson

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
These are all amazing D&D character names. Especially Bob Johnson.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It seems that if you goto Yellowstone you should be armed at all times. So incase anyone falls in you can put them out of their misery at once, or yourself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

It seems that if you goto Yellowstone you should be armed at all times. So incase anyone falls in you can put them out of their misery at once, or yourself.

:laffo: if you don't just shoot everyone before taking a dip in a nature water.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/sfoWd8S.mp4

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Let me just wipe this fire all over my clothes and hair.

Singed Harrington

Burnt Crispiflesh

Charred Nervendington

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he reminds me of barf

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Hmm yes let me lean these super flammable pallets against this building and put an accelerant on them and start a fire.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JB50 posted:

Hmm yes let me lean these super flammable pallets against this building and put an accelerant on them and start a fire.

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

The best part is he is holding the flammable liquid in that cup in his hand and when he goes to extinguish the flames with his armpit he ends up spilling it all over his shirt, cementing his impending doom.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

It took me a second to realize that the cup in his other hand is full of accelerant and he splashes it all over himself. That probably ended poorly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
this thread is gonna see a lot more action after trump guts osha

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this thread is gonna see a lot more action after trump guts osha

OSHA has no balls anyway. I dont think they have ever had a lot of funding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JB50 posted:

OSHA has no balls anyway. I dont think they have ever had a lot of funding.

We've been lucky to get OSHA to put a deadline of November 2017 for demanding crane operator certification. They wanted to do it back in 2014, but added a 3 year extension to let everyone get certified.

We still had one candidate last week claim he would just give up on us and work without certification because he thought it was too expensive to recertify. It cost him around $200 or so every 5 years. If we're lucky, any potential employers will see the writing on the wall and deny him before he hurts someone.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 19, 2016

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

They still go through the hole, they just come out in a different shape on the other side

http://i.imgur.com/O9ZriYf.gifv

I like to live dangerously but I also like to say thanks to a christian god for not having me come out jewish on the other side when I rode that manlift

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvFpOCBek4

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jerry Cotton posted:

The right kind of snow will cling to a metal roof no problem though, unless it's really steep.

e: Cool story though.

My dad put a steel roof on my childhood house some years ago. He still has to shovel it sometimes. He went off it rear end-over-tit a couple of years ago. The snow was deep so the only thing hurt was his pride. Steel roofs are great but they suck to try to walk on. No traction.

But still, there's nothing wrong with having a 100 year roof.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

...I would treat that system like it's dangerous until proven otherwise.

I just realized that we had a good OSHA moment today at work with wiring. We had a lamp that would flicker in one room when a machine was used in the other. The overhead florescents would also flicker which makes no sense. An electrician for the building came in and spent an hour yelling at his apprentice for his idiocy while he fixed it.

That circuit included our lobby, a treatment room, the overhead lights, and THE loving ELEVATOR in the common area. It should have tripped the breaker but it somehow didn't. I assume it was powering the controls of the elevator as there's no way that a hydraulic elevator runs off 110v.

I don't know how he hosed it up that bad. I don't even know how it's possible. Then again, my grandfather wired a 110v circuit to put out a consistent 23.5v for no good reason. He's dead now so I can't ask. I just found it the other day with my multi-meter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mostlygray posted:

I don't know how he hosed it up that bad. I don't even know how it's possible. Then again, my grandfather wired a 110v circuit to put out a consistent 23.5v for no good reason. He's dead now so I can't ask. I just found it the other day with my multi-meter.

Could be for a doorbell.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Could be for a doorbell.

Except it's wired to a regular plug to the right of the stove. The house has no doorbell but maybe he had plans for one. He would have wired it in the 50's.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

That manlift reminds me of this contraption:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgVoZKvP3M

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reminds me, I found a nominally 230v euro socket on the side of a 30 year old piece of equipment putting out 43 VAC yesterday. :iiam:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mostlygray posted:

Except it's wired to a regular plug to the right of the stove. The house has no doorbell but maybe he had plans for one. He would have wired it in the 50's.
Electric clock? Some of them ran on that voltage. In particular, master-slave clocks often ran at 24DC. Would he have had access to office/factory salvage?

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

JoelJoel posted:

Let me just wipe this fire all over my clothes and hair.

Singed Harrington

Burnt Crispiflesh

Charred Nervendington

For the yellowstoners:

Spring Boilhot

Poach Burnedface

Heat Scaldsack

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

fuckingtest posted:

For the yellowstoners:

Spring Boilhot

Poach Burnedface

Heat Scaldsack

Dunk Meltface

Trip Sludgebody

Bob Screamscald

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Infyrno posted:

Kinda impressed with that reactor, that video of the crane was a replacement done in Jan. 2013 and they got the operating license and turned on less than 1 month ago. After replacing the worst part (I would assume) there was almost 4 years of the other replacements and testing to be licensed. That thing must be so far beyond "safe." Does the fact that it is brand new compared to the 50 year old reactors actually show in it's output or performance or is that something that will takes years to show up that it is more efficient?

One of the very few places I don't really mind seeing a huge american flag hung up. Good poo poo.

Sequoyah was built and licensed back in the early 80s, 81 and 82 for units 1 and 2 respectively. The construction was to replace the existing steam generators with new ones, usually this is part of an uprate. Steam generators don't last forever and they wear out before the reactor itself will so you have to replace them. Turbines are the same way. When you take 35 year old reactors and put in modern steam generators/turbines you often get better efficiencies because we've gotten better at building those things in the past several decades. This means you can squeeze more power out of the reactor and is one of the only ways to increase the power output of a reactor. The license for these plants was extended in 2015, which I assume was when the NRC reviewed and approved the plant post uprate. Still, it's an impressive piece of work.

The new one that you are thinking of is probably Watts Bar #2, the first new reactor to come online in the US in 20 years. It's a reactor that actually began construction in the 70s but was mothballed and then they decided to finish it, which saved them a lot of time on things like site evaluation. From start to finish that reactor took 42 years to complete :v: At 1,150 MWe it will power something like 650,000 homes. Watts Bar 2 was actually fully loaded with fuel in December of 2015, it took until October 2016 to get a full power operating license. The NRC actually has teeth and is probably more risk averse than OSHA is. People go to jail for violating NRC applications. I nearly ate an $8,000 dollar fine from them one time due to a paperwork error.

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

Sequoyah was built and licensed back in the early 80s, 81 and 82 for units 1 and 2 respectively. The construction was to replace the existing steam generators with new ones, usually this is part of an uprate. Steam generators don't last forever and they wear out before the reactor itself will so you have to replace them. Turbines are the same way. When you take 35 year old reactors and put in modern steam generators/turbines you often get better efficiencies because we've gotten better at building those things in the past several decades. This means you can squeeze more power out of the reactor and is one of the only ways to increase the power output of a reactor. The license for these plants was extended in 2015, which I assume was when the NRC reviewed and approved the plant post uprate. Still, it's an impressive piece of work.

The new one that you are thinking of is probably Watts Bar #2, the first new reactor to come online in the US in 20 years. It's a reactor that actually began construction in the 70s but was mothballed and then they decided to finish it, which saved them a lot of time on things like site evaluation. From start to finish that reactor took 42 years to complete :v: At 1,150 MWe it will power something like 650,000 homes. Watts Bar 2 was actually fully loaded with fuel in December of 2015, it took until October 2016 to get a full power operating license. The NRC actually has teeth and is probably more risk averse than OSHA is. People go to jail for violating NRC applications. I nearly ate an $8,000 dollar fine from them one time due to a paperwork error.

I worked on the latter. I had no idea what I was doing, so i ended up designing a website to help with the construction process.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Rust Martialis posted:

Trip Sludgebody

drat it, the closest I could come was "something something acidbath"

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

D1Sergo posted:

drat it, the closest I could come was "something something acidbath"

Toasty McMelty

Scar Roastnuts

Drip Causticneck

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Trip Bubblescream

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Trip Bubblescream

Splash Deathpool
Chuck McCorpsein
Dunk Poachweiner
Ted Cruz

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Trip Bubblescream

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

This was being discussed on like page 50 or something but I'd like to say that when I worked at Walgreens, we didn't have ladders to get things off the top shelf in the storage room. They just picked whoever looked physically capable of climbing up the side but light enough to not fall through the plywood shelving. They'd make me climb up about fifteen feet high to throw the stuff stored up there down to someone else (usually stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, etc.) I constantly thought about just "falling" off and suing the gently caress out of them but A) What if I get hurt worse than I want, and B) I liked my managers

e: I'm totally estimating the height. I'm 6'1 and couldn't touch it when I jumped though.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 20, 2016