Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm so smrt. I just locked down Battlefront on Gamefly and am just gonna sit on it until that free VR update (which is apparently amazing) hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

There is, where if you pair skills from the tree with a color that matches corresponding equipped mutagens, the passive stat boost from the mutagen is increased. Honestly just makes equipping skills even more fiddly

The skill side of this system is fine with me, but mutagens seemed like a very half-baked mechanic.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Snak posted:

The skill side of this system is fine with me, but mutagens seemed like a very half-baked mechanic.

The Blood and Wine expansion finally made mutagens useful. You could use them to get new powerful mutagen abilities, and having a mutagen ability equipped lets you equip additional regular abilities of the same type.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Mutation that increases weapon damage with toxicity is baller. Every fight I'd be so roided out, chugging stuff that wouldn't help in the middle of a fight in any way just to make my sword that much more lethal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i really hate conventional weapon stats like damage that just make huge swaths of the weapons you collect totally worthless, especially when it should be the character's skill that multiplies the damage, not some feature of the weapon barring magical properties or whatever. obviously a sledgehammer will do more damage than a mace but for sledges to differ wildly among themselves seems like an old concept that could use some revision idk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I guess if I was gonna change 1 thing in W3, it wouldn't be the durability thing, it would be the leveling system. the way the Red Skull enemies who are too high level for you are basically invincible until you level up and come back doesn't really do the game any favors. In some games, this kind of level gating is necessary, but I don't think it's needed or beneficial in W3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just started the DLC for Dark Souls 2: SOTFS. It is amazing. Anyone who hasn't played it I'd highly recommend it. I picked it up on sale and gave up very quickly. After my recent Bloodborne playthrough I decided to go back and see if I was any better. Turns out I am and it's now one of my favourite games ever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's interesting to hear about Amalur again. I also thought it was ok in some ways but the exposition was obnoxious to a degree I couldn't have even imagined. Lots of games have lots of pointless exposition but something about this one just made it impossible to play after several hours. And on the back of the package they actually sold it as having a bunch of great writers.

Edit: It had those stones all around in the world that when you walked by them, they started talking a bunch of stupid fantasy schlock at you, and I never figured out how to get them to stop.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 18, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I really want Watch Dogs 2 to get good. Admittedly, I haven't played a lot of it. Every time I do, I wander around, I get to some destimation on a map and it's on some roof I need to work way too hard to get on, or need some device I don't yet had, I assume, like the flying drone. It amounts to me basically running around doing gently caress all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It''s nice that you have to do a bit more than sit outside a building and camera hop to do things now, but it would have been better if they kept some of those and didn't turn every mission into an active one.

By the way the answer is always to find a cherry picker or forklift nearby.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just started the DLC for Dark Souls 2: SOTFS. It is amazing. Anyone who hasn't played it I'd highly recommend it. I picked it up on sale and gave up very quickly. After my recent Bloodborne playthrough I decided to go back and see if I was any better. Turns out I am and it's now one of my favourite games ever.

That's some of the best Souls content ever. Brume Tower, especially.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guw posted:

That's some of the best Souls content ever. Brume Tower, especially.

Just started that one. Finished the ice one today and nearly finished sunken crown. That walk over the giant chain :eyepop:

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

I really want Watch Dogs 2 to get good. Admittedly, I haven't played a lot of it. Every time I do, I wander around, I get to some destimation on a map and it's on some roof I need to work way too hard to get on, or need some device I don't yet had, I assume, like the flying drone. It amounts to me basically running around doing gently caress all.

Thats another one of those Ubi game problems. You don't have skills you don't even know you need until you've been introduced to them. Just blast through the first half dozen or so main story missions and you'll at least know where you stand. And put your first research point into controlling forklifts and poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will spend my time in Watch Dogs 2 taking selfies with all the dogs in San Francisco.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

does a person who changed phone numbers without turning off 2FA sounds like a person who actually saved their backup codes?

You can still get them off the website, all you need is your password and the link from the email.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Feenix posted:

Once you get the drone you find out that you still need to find a scissor lift or sometimes just parkour across a bunch of rooftops and poo poo.

Actually this made me realize I use the drone mostly for scouting high above areas similar to how a lot of games swing the camera around a set piece to show you your options and poo poo. Huh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The drone can't do physical hacks like the RC car can, so it's mostly for research points and those pipe-like puzzles.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't know, I fully admit it's probably not all the game's fault. I just wander to the next "mission" and go "huh, ok, it;s up there. I circle the building, don't find an entry point, (or in the embarcadero theres some pickup like, underground!) and I look around for a scissor lift, don't see one, and wander off to find something else.

Not entirely the game's fault, sure. But I'm finding it (so far) very uncompelling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Feenix posted:

I'm so smrt. I just locked down Battlefront on Gamefly and am just gonna sit on it until that free VR update (which is apparently amazing) hits.

How nice of them to finally release something that's free

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

I don't know, I fully admit it's probably not all the game's fault. I just wander to the next "mission" and go "huh, ok, it;s up there. I circle the building, don't find an entry point, (or in the embarcadero theres some pickup like, underground!) and I look around for a scissor lift, don't see one, and wander off to find something else.

Not entirely the game's fault, sure. But I'm finding it (so far) very uncompelling.

The drone helps in that you can trace back a good path to get to wherever it is you gotta go.

I still like the two or three times I circumvented the planned path by jamming a forklift or a scissorlift and using that to climb up instead

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I'm stuck. I'm in the base level of a parking garage with something I need to hack behind a locked door. It's a mission about the Proviblue CEO.

It says I need to Find the Closed Circuit Terminal. But it seems like all the hackervision red lines are just behind that little room I can't get into.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Ok I'm stuck. I'm in the base level of a parking garage with something I need to hack behind a locked door. It's a mission about the Proviblue CEO.

It says I need to Find the Closed Circuit Terminal. But it seems like all the hackervision red lines are just behind that little room I can't get into.

there's a vent to the room in the little fenced off area to the left of the little room that yoou need to open and drive the jumper through

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

exploded mummy posted:

there's a vent to the room in the little fenced off area to the left of the little room that yoou need to open and drive the jumper through

Ah thank you. It was REALLY hard to make out that there was even a hole in the fence. Much appreciated

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Ah thank you. It was REALLY hard to make out that there was even a hole in the fence. Much appreciated

I just drove a car through the fence!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

exploded mummy posted:

I just drove a car through the fence!

I guess I should try to Think outside the Bots.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pulled apart my launch PS4 to dust off the fan and heat sync. The system really is an elegant design. Much easier to perform maintenance on than my launch PS3 was, and you only need 2 screwdrivers.

The only tricky part was lifting the power supply out because it needs to be wiggled around a bit. Anyways, 10/10, would try again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

The combat isn't great. It's not so much "bad" as "different", though. It's mechanically and philosophically pretty different from most 3rd person action games. It's improved a lot since Witcher 2. In Witcher 2, you couldn't heal at all once you entered combat.

The thing that bugs me about TW3 combat and controls, beyond Geralt's generally clunky as poo poo movement, is how much it shits on player control. Games ripping control away from me has always been one of my pet peeves, even though I've warmed up to it for more intuitive games like Uncharted. TW3 has to be the worst I have ever played in that regard. Trying to run away from a battle just to have geralt repeatedly pull his sword out and turn back around towards it, getting stuck on a knee high fence mid battle and being unable to jump because you can't during combat, and trying to get out of combat mode is futile, the completely unreliable targeting system where he just attacks whatever enemy he feels like. To me TW3 combat often felt like "hey I know you are pushing a button to do a thing but this is what we are doing instead motherfucker!" The fact that landing hits felt like a wet fart doesn't help either.

If they somehow figure out how to make the combat and movement good in the Witcher 4 I think I would like it about 10 times more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really have those problems, personally, but I could certainly see how they could happen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

On another note, maybe someone has an answer to this dumb question.

In the last few months one of my electronics started emitting a very high pitched whining noise, almost like an ear-ringing, but constantly. At first I thought it might be my tv as I've read about similar noises being emitted during low-power states, but nope, it's definitely the PS4.

If my hearing wasn't so sensitive I imagine the noise would be imperceptible, but in actuality I feel like my head is splitting open, it's so high pitched I can feel it in my teeth. If it's the HD then I can just replace it, but if it's something deeper...well, I guess I'm hosed.

Anyone know what the most likely culprit is? Is this what hell is like?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

On another note, maybe someone has an answer to this dumb question.

In the last few months one of my electronics started emitting a very high pitched whining noise, almost like an ear-ringing, but constantly. At first I thought it might be my tv as I've read about similar noises being emitted during low-power states, but nope, it's definitely the PS4.

If my hearing wasn't so sensitive I imagine the noise would be imperceptible, but in actuality I feel like my head is splitting open, it's so high pitched I can feel it in my teeth. If it's the HD then I can just replace it, but if it's something deeper...well, I guess I'm hosed.

Anyone know what the most likely culprit is? Is this what hell is like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2k8laz/psa_sony_will_exchange_ps4s_with_capacitor_whine/

It could very well be this. Sony is supposed to be pretty good at exchanging systems suffering from it, though.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I have a friend who says that Witcher 3 combat is "like dark souls".

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2k8laz/psa_sony_will_exchange_ps4s_with_capacitor_whine/

It could very well be this. Sony is supposed to be pretty good at exchanging systems suffering from it, though.

Sucks that it's not something I can fix by poking around. My PS4 is beyond its extended warranty now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

Fence hacking is a very important skill to learn.

It's analog.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 19, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Protip: You can also "hack" security guards with physical malware called " a 3D Printed Shotgun"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trash Trick posted:

I have a friend who says that Witcher 3 combat is "like dark souls".
If it's the first action RPG you ever became familiar with I guess you might feel that way.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

It's pretty how crazy how noticeable downsampled 4K-ish stuff looks on a 1080 screen. I really didn't think I'd be able to tell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guw posted:

It's pretty how crazy how noticeable downsampled 4K-ish stuff looks on a 1080 screen. I really didn't think I'd be able to tell.

Like, in a good way?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
PlayStation just gave me :10bux:

Separate from the spend 100 get 15 promotion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zelah posted:

PlayStation just gave me :10bux:

Separate from the spend 100 get 15 promotion

me too. can't wait for the next sale. gotta blow it before 11/30

mine said "welcome to playstation" so maybe its for upgrading to pro?

edit: oh cool, samsho6 is out on tuesday, i'll just get that.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feenix posted:

Watch_Dogs rightfully gets a lot of poo poo, but one thing the original actually did okay is making the missions a proper sandbox to abuse with your toys, instead of assuming you will use Toy X to reach the stealth path and Weapon B to reach the Open Assault Path. I really hope WD2 does the same, and I need to get a copy still.

• Locked thread