Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"Climate change means refugees"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have we considered lying to people and insulting others for votes yet.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

euphronius posted:

lawyers suck

vote schnorkles 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

lawyers suck

vote schnorkles 2020

See. You lied and insulted !

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Any slogan where you are reminding people of problems without offering solutions, however trite, is not a good slogan.

ok then just say the inverse, "green energy makes you safer"

idk I'm not a marketing consultant

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Has negging the electorate been tried? I mean, Trump is president, it's cool.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
We should look into "wall street is literally causing global warming" as a talking point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fullhouse posted:

isn't that what gore ran on; gettin us off of foreign oil

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Burn investment bankers as fuel?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

Has negging the electorate been tried? I mean, Trump is president, it's cool.

Trump negged Iowa pretty hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRUc11fPAwk

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WE'RE GONNA UNBUILD THE WALL (STREET) AND BANKERS ARE GONNA PAY FOR IT

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

Had lunch with the leader of a group of generals/admirals that acted as surrogates for Hillary today. He was pissed about all the campaign gently caress ups and is looking to form an organization for high level officers to advocate for the progressive agenda. All of these liberal military establishment folk seem ready to back Bernie and his progressives so that's another win.

Few pages late here but man it disgusts me that flag officers get away with political endorsements. The military is supposed to be apolitical

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fullhouse posted:

Here's a few ideas I came up with, tell me if any hit home.

"Only renewable power can keep your children safe"
"We can not remain at the mercy of middle east oil barons. Renewable energy makes our country strong and keeps us independent"
"Don't lose your home to high waters - only we can keep the waters at bay."
"Oil barons want to ship your jobs overseas - the green energy revolution can be built right here in America."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

euphronius posted:

Fiction posted:

We should look into "wall street is literally causing global warming" as a talking point.

"Billionaires pay skeptics because they want to sell and burn every drop of oil and every pound of coal, even if it means cooking Mexico and sending a hundred million refugees screaming across the border."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Accretionist posted:

"Billionaires pay skeptics because they want to sell and burn every drop of oil and every pound of coal, even if it means cooking Mexico and sending a hundred million refugees screaming across the border."

Make it personal. Give them a name and a face to hate.

Kenneth P. Cohen is a short-sighted loser that wants to sell our national oil reserves to China, where they will burn every drop of oil and every pound of coal he can find, even if it means shipping your jobs overseas, flooding your homes, and forcing a million hungry Mexican refugees screaming across the border. Don't let him succeed in weakening our country to line his own pockets.

“The sooner this happens, the better for us” - Kenneth P. Cohen, Exxon Mobile VP

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Larry Parrish posted:

Few pages late here but man it disgusts me that flag officers get away with political endorsements. The military is supposed to be apolitical

Pretty sure Venom Snake said they were retired a few posts down. :v:

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
the dems need a better propaganda arm than the tv funny man

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

How stupid are the people of America, funding ISIS by buying oil from the Middle East? They want to behead you and you're sitting here giving them money to do it!

of course the answer would be to totally drill up every last drop of oil from the ocean/continental US instead of using green energy.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

but for real middle eastern terrorism wouldn't be a problem if we stopped buying oil from over there.

Pretty sure this is a point Obama made repeatedly though.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you would also need to get everyone else in the world to do that and that's basically impossible if they don't have any energy alternatives

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, the Good News is that oil consumption is way down and we're basically off of ME oil in terms of reliance. Renewables are really starting to kick off big time and assuming we don't nuke ourselves the ME petrostates are going to be failed hellholes in about 10 years due to the collapse of the market. Well, those that aren't already failed hellholes, anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LegionAreI posted:

Pretty sure Venom Snake said they were retired a few posts down. :v:

Officers probably have a different perspective but us enlisted guys typically thought it was crude at best and insulting at worst to go around saying "As a former Airman I..." Or whatever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

comingafteryouall posted:

How stupid are the Republicans, funding ISIS by buying oil from the Middle East? They want to behead you and here the GOP is giving them money to do it!

It works slightly better as a slogan that way.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Talking about Lena Dunham is the last loving thing I want to do, but it's unavoidable

you'd be surprised

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Accretionist posted:

Also, Global Warming as National Security.

'Emissions Cuts protect American Lives'

'Environmentalism stops Wars'

Again, I'm bad with talking points but I think there's great angles here if they're up for taking the heat

Yeah I've changed minds on climate change arguing this angle.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Joseph Stiglitz has issued his take - How the Democrats can Fix Themselves.

Stiglitz posted:

I can’t claim to have foreseen the rise of Donald Trump, much less the fact that he would prevail, but in 2011, I published an article in Vanity Fair, titled “Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1%,” that warned of conditions already existing, and steadily becoming worse, which were unjust in themselves and could easily lead to political instability. The article described the growth of inequality in America and argued that—leaving basic morality aside, as some are perfectly happy to do—it was in the interests of the people at the top of the wealth pyramid to create a more egalitarian society.

Since then, matters have only gotten worse. A study last year by Anne Case and Angus Deaton, published by the National Academy of Sciences, highlighted the sense of despair in America, where life expectancy is actually on the decline for segments of the population on account of suicide, drug addiction, alcoholism, and obesity. The so-called recovery from the 2008 recession has, in fact, exacerbated the situation—91 percent of the gains in the first three years went to the wealthiest 1 percent of the population. The evident satisfaction with how things have been going, voiced by the Obama administration, clashed with the everyday experiences of 99 percent of the country. At the same time, the administration was funneling billions to the banks that had caused the financial crisis and the recession. (Top officials were very close to the bankers.) Meanwhile, only a pittance was given to beleaguered homeowners. I remember clearly, during the first conference call organized by candidate Barack Obama to formulate the Democratic response to the collapse of Lehman Brothers, in September 2008, I emphasized the importance of helping those who were losing their jobs and homes. The overwhelming sentiment of the group, dominated by bankers, was that my comments were a distraction from the task at hand.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Schnorkles posted:

lawyers suck

vote schnorkles 2020

gently caress yeah

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Woulda lost the Auburn vote.

Would've gotten the all important Doobie vote

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Voters and American public are a "distraction from the task at hand".

Good job Dems.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Larry Parrish posted:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Those are cops not...oh, I see what you did there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

The Voters and American public are a "distraction from the task at hand".

Good job Dems.

Ughhh shut up about helping people already Joe, we are TRYING to increase shareholder value here

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GalacticAcid posted:

Joseph Stiglitz has issued his take - How the Democrats can Fix Themselves.

If things get wild these next four years maybe they'll realize they'll be sipping their tea in hell with the Czar if something isn't done.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chucktodd/status/799707019821207552

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Clipperton posted:

"Climate change means refugees"

This works.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

https://twitter.com/PittCabe/status/799711696017358848

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
deflated balloon headed hack is an excellent invective for chuck todd imo

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Venom Snake posted:

Much like Bernie says "We need-ah political REVOHLUTUION in this country!". This organization would be about advocating for using the military for furthering progressive causes and making the world a better place instead of bombing poor people in third world countries. Trump is 100% going to gently caress over the military and veterans and there needs to be a voice saying "Join the democrats and we won't send you to die or take away your benefits. We will help you no matter where you live". Ultimately D.C. based liberal military people despise incompetence and progressives seem to be one of the few groups that don't have their heads up their asses.

EDIT: If anyone has any suggestions for how retired generals/admirals could help advocate the progressive cause feel free to post them or send them to me.
I don't know how well the public would go over it, but the US is ripe with healthcare and infrastructure issues that could be testbeds for military support skills.

All these invasions cause 2 problems:
Injuries and health issues
Infrastructure damage

A volunteer corps lead by actively trained military Engineers could potentially be used to build up infrastructure and medical units could get practice in general care through treating the public. This would give them the proper skills to handle the 'unintended consequences' abroad and also benefit the local communities here.

Granted even voluntary military intervention/assistance into the normal live of citizens would cause a lot of feathers to be ruffled, especially if done under the Trump Administration as it could be signs of fascism.

Other than their influence in those fields not sure what else they can do other than standard politics myself.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Now now children, you can both be wrong about this!

• Locked thread