Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Lant posted:

Planet Coaster is really good.

I'm looking for the ring but I don't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any good writeups on building rollercoasters with negative vertical G's/"airtime"?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dali Parton posted:

Any good writeups on building rollercoasters with negative vertical G's/"airtime"?

Make them go over simple hills at high speed? :confuoot:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Mister Bates posted:

It's a super minor thing, but after years and years of playing Rollercoaster Tycoon, I'm absolutely stoked that guests in PC have smart enough pathfinding routines that they're able to do things like go to a destination via a ride, if the ride would get them there faster than walking.

Not only that, but you can make an area of the park accessible via only a transport ride, and the guests are smart enough to know that if they want to ride the rides over there, they have to take the transport ride. Also, they seem to neither complain about having to ride it, or having to ride it back to leave.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dali Parton posted:

A series of short, relatively shallow hills the coaster travels over at high speed in a straight, unbanked line. They're generally referred to as 'camelback hills' or bunny hills.

e: you can also take a look at some real-life coaster designs that feature good airtime and try to copy them, there's a few examples listed here: http://themeparks.about.com/od/rollercoasters/g/What-Is-Roller-Coaster-Airtime.htm

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 18, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Lant posted:

Planet Coaster is really good.

Suddenly I feel like having a sundae...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nerdcubed played RCTW. He's very angry and this video contains a lot of swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjVkXCyfWdc

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He also did PC which took like 5 30+ min episodes just to build the entrance.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i was working on getting a wooden coaster with 5 nasuea and fun and then the game crashed its way hard to hit specific targets like that

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
So what's the deal with building rails in PC? I've never known a system like this, it's awkward as hell and doesn't make any sense.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Harminoff posted:

He also did PC which took like 5 30+ min episodes just to build the entrance.

I don't know why I find it so soothing and fascinating to watch people play these games. When I was miserably sick last year I spent ages watching some kid play RCT2.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

HopperUK posted:

Nerdcubed played RCTW. He's very angry and this video contains a lot of swearing.

This is incredible.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So the conclusion at this point is Planet Coaster is to the coaster/themepark genre what Cities: Skylines is to citybuilders: Mainly a creative game about building the nicest park possible, absolutely not a game that has a deep or challenging management side, and with a heavy emphasis on the Workshop/modding community?

Just want to make sure I reduce chances of buyer's remorse, it's not as cheap as Skylines is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Ugh getting many crashes :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pierson posted:

So the conclusion at this point is Planet Coaster is to the coaster/themepark genre what Cities: Skylines is to citybuilders: Mainly a creative game about building the nicest park possible, absolutely not a game that has a deep or challenging management side, and with a heavy emphasis on the Workshop/modding community?

Just want to make sure I reduce chances of buyer's remorse, it's not as cheap as Skylines is.

Literally perfect for me, I can't wait to get home to play it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Cities Skylines loving rules so if this is that but for coasters I'm sold.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pierson posted:

Cities Skylines loving rules so if this is that but for coasters I'm sold.

*queue of guests extends to horizon*

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
RCT never had particularly deep management anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

RCT never had particularly deep management anyway.

Yeah, but I think most people feel that there should be evolution and improvement over just what RCT had.

What exactly that is, however I have no idea. Most of the few "management" suggestions I've seen so far on the steam forums and other places basically boil down to "too easy to make money/make the game harder".

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

All the "more management" people just need a scenario editor which wouldn't be too far fetched for the devs to come up with for people. This game is great and if this scratches your theme park itch then you should buy it.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I took some time doing something almost completely pointless, but I wish to share this endeavor with others. Fun fact: Planet Coaster contains 1,902* unique pieces of building parts and scenery with which to build from.

What is it you ask? Is it exactly what you think it is? It is. I was having trouble finding items to use for builds, and also a general sense of what I can expect to find buried in the different tabs. So I went through every single tab and placed down a single copy of every building part and scenery item. Partway through, I decided I'd upload the finished version to the workshop and made separating walls and labeling signs with custom text. Along the way, I noticed a bug in that some custom text started to disappear from view on previous signs. This happened partway through me adding the words 'Custom Text' to every sign that had writable text. Oh well. If you click on the signs, the text appears to be preserved though. Anyways. Placing it gave me a pretty good idea of what's in there, mostly you need to dig around Props -> Misc if you want to find the interesting stuff. Hopefully this can be helpful to at least one person.

Here it is on the steam workshop.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802089991

*Count taken by selecting completed layout afterwards, not including separating walls and labeling signs. Could still have missed something or selected previously mentioned walls or signs, and could be wrong.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

Its basically a newer, better RCT3.

Its got a great art style for the theme, has good implementation of coasters and building them, has a cool terrain modification system, and will definitely have you sink 14 hours into creating the most basic, and yet still unique, bathroom.

The mission/career system is almost exactly the same, with each map having 3 levels/difficulties to complete, and challenge maps that expand on that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some DLC further down the line to add "larger" mechanics like more water rides and more missions to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So far the harder difficulties make money roll in slower, but you can still get mega rich eventually. I've seldom had to go into deep management stuff because money always flows in. The only real "deep" decision I recall making today was building a ride that I could charge more with, but seats fewer guests than a thrill ride that could handle far more guests but at lower ticket prices.

I'd like to see more cases where I have to weight cost/benefits instead of plopping down a ride knowing it'll bring a profit (and even if it doesn't, it brings more guests to the peak, so it still benefits me indirectly).

e: I feel like I've been sorta unfair to PC since there's so many actual good things done right. But I think a substantial patch/DLC targeted towards higher difficulty or scenarios would do a world of good for the game.

All my memorable moments from RCT1 were the weird challenges/park layouts that I dealt with to make a pretty unique park. That's rewarding

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 19, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dali Parton posted:

All my memorable moments from RCT1 were the weird challenges/park layouts that I dealt with to make a pretty unique park. That's rewarding

This is what I really hope Frontier or the Modding Community end up providing.

Who doesn't remember the crazy TINY WORLD, or Three Monkeys, or Bumble Beach, scenarios? Beating the crazy "Complete these 6 rollercoasters, with each having a 6+ excitement rating" was always great fun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Double Dueling posts are fun!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*queue of guests extends to horizon*
Guests starve in impossible gridlock as three lines accidentally merge.

Dali Parton posted:

But I think a substantial patch/DLC targeted towards higher difficulty or scenarios would do a world of good for the game.

Yeah this hopefully.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I knew that Rollercoaster Tycoon World was in development or meant to be coming out at some time, which made me a little more hesitant to buy Planet Coaster because I really didn't know much about either product and what if RCTW was better?

Watching that video... boy oh boy am I glad I backed the right horse with this one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I've heard some players have dipping frame rates in Planet Coaster due to just how much you can put in your park. I wanna buy it, but I'm worried I won't be able to run it. Would these specs be satisfactory?

intel-4690k
GTX 760
8 GB ram

Orv
May 4, 2011

Willo567 posted:

I've heard some players have dipping frame rates in Planet Coaster due to just how much you can put in your park. I wanna buy it, but I'm worried I won't be able to run it. Would these specs be satisfactory?

intel-4690k
GTX 760
8 GB ram

As long as you're not putting multiple hundreds of pieces blueprints and buildings in your park you''ll be fine.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

64bitrobot posted:

So I took some time doing something almost completely pointless, but I wish to share this endeavor with others. Fun fact: Planet Coaster contains 1,902* unique pieces of building parts and scenery with which to build from.

What is it you ask? Is it exactly what you think it is? It is. I was having trouble finding items to use for builds, and also a general sense of what I can expect to find buried in the different tabs. So I went through every single tab and placed down a single copy of every building part and scenery item. Partway through, I decided I'd upload the finished version to the workshop and made separating walls and labeling signs with custom text. Along the way, I noticed a bug in that some custom text started to disappear from view on previous signs. This happened partway through me adding the words 'Custom Text' to every sign that had writable text. Oh well. If you click on the signs, the text appears to be preserved though. Anyways. Placing it gave me a pretty good idea of what's in there, mostly you need to dig around Props -> Misc if you want to find the interesting stuff. Hopefully this can be helpful to at least one person.

Here it is on the steam workshop.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802089991

*Count taken by selecting completed layout afterwards, not including separating walls and labeling signs. Could still have missed something or selected previously mentioned walls or signs, and could be wrong.

i cant believe i got to witness a real life example of :spergin:

pretty :c00l: stuff

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

It won't give me that one, and i'm not certain why. tried saving the coaster, removing, and re-placing it. tried editing the track, fixing it, and re-testing it.

and it was a custom made coaster....

Orv
May 4, 2011
Airtime duration is the counted stat.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Orv posted:

Airtime duration is the counted stat.

ah, airtime count is... ok i get it.

ugh.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am amazingly bummed that I can't make terrain in sandbox mode and then load that into challenge mode.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Iridium posted:

ah, airtime count is... ok i get it.

ugh.
Im curious what "The Trainwreck" looks like.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I am amazingly bummed that I can't make terrain in sandbox mode and then load that into challenge mode.

I'm hoping this is something they add in an early patch.

Dali Parton posted:

Im curious what "The Trainwreck" looks like.

Also

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
derp

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

HopperUK posted:

feels like the team who did the mobile game tried to do a pc game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One thing that always kind of escapes me as a guy who is already terrible at designing coasters anyways, is the finer differences in "When would I want to use X coaster type Vs Y coaster type" along with WHY they are better at certain things than coasters which at a glance seem like they could pull it off just as well.

For example, even a quick glance in game reminds you that Giga Coasters are meant for big heights and big drops. While Hyper Coasters are supposedly great at air time.... By WHY is a Hyper coaster "Better" at Air Time than a Giga Coaster? When at first look it seems Giga Coasters are the same but you can also have a deeper drop angle.

What's so special about a single rail coaster? While the experience in real life is vastly different, what are the video game benefits of a Stand Up coaster Vs a "Flying" Coaster having you laying flat horizontally? (Or how that compares against plain old Floorless).

What's the big deal about Wooden coasters beyond reminding me of when I was a kid, compared to just using a Hybrid? What's the significance between the "Steel track" Vs "Steel topped" Hybrids when it seems they have identical loops, curves, and incline statistics?

It's already indecision intimidating enough as it is remembering how to make a "passable" coaster rather than one that doesn't even function properly. But I'd love some better insight into the more subtle differences in coasters.

At least there is plenty that is still more obvious from a design goal preference. Like how "Dive" is meant to seat as many people as possible dropping off an artificial cliff at once. Or how "Crazy One" is the only children's accessible coaster that can Invert, and Free Swing has an entirely unique car type.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 19, 2016