Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm sure he meant to pose Batman like he's a badass cat about to spring but it looks for all the world like he's squatting to take the worlds biggest dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VanSandman posted:

Oh, poo poo! They're bringing back gorilla covers!

When was the last legit gorilla cover anyway?

This one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Teenage Fansub posted:

Couple of Frank doozies from the last DK3.

Superboy has both a nicer rear end and a prettier face than Wonderwoman.

e: Also she should shave before going on the cover geez

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that's Wonder Woman and Superman's daughter from DKSA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is, yes

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm sure he meant to pose Batman like he's a badass cat about to spring but it looks for all the world like he's squatting to take the worlds biggest dump.

Nah he is about to use the metal buttplug that is on the ground

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Roth posted:

I think that's Wonder Woman and Superman's daughter from DKSA.

She actually looks a lot better than the last time this thread saw her.

Was Frank Miller actually good at one time? Maybe I'm crazy, but I see this new stuff and it kind of makes me question if his older work was actually decent, even though I liked it at the time.

Edit: just looked back at some art from Sin City and 300 and I'm gonna say yes, holy poo poo he was good. I guess looking at this stuff just wiped my memory. He's degenerating, no question about it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 7, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Frank Miller is/was really good in certain circumstances. He really suffers with glossy current day coloring techniques but it's not like being in black and white would make his DKR sequels look good

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I've come around and now I love his style and look, even the buttfuck ugly stuff. Especially the buttfuck ugly stuff. It has a sensibility and isn't trying to be beautiful. I prefer him in his prime, but it would be boring if he was still the same style. I am in no way trying to convince anyone else to like it though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's been linked in here before, but that one artist's post about how modern Miller art is suffering from mismatched colouring techniques really convinced me. As the poster above me says, it has a sensibility, it's not trying to be beautiful or naturalistic, and it is in fact technically proficient when viewed in that light. Once coloured in a more abstract style, it goes from "what?" to "oh, maybe that's what he was going for".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Android Blues posted:

It's been linked in here before, but that one artist's post about how modern Miller art is suffering from mismatched colouring techniques really convinced me. As the poster above me says, it has a sensibility, it's not trying to be beautiful or naturalistic, and it is in fact technically proficient when viewed in that light. Once coloured in a more abstract style, it goes from "what?" to "oh, maybe that's what he was going for".

It certainly fits a lot better, but as I said when this was posted the first time, Miller's recent stuff can look good as a piece of pop art but falls apart as a comic. And, also as I said before, James Harvey is fuckin' rad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who knew artistic talent was located in the liver.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He's degenerating, no question about it.

Frank Miller looks like he aged 30 years in the last 10. Like, he is probably fighting some horribly debilitating disease like cancer, that's how bad he looks.

Edit:
Sin City (2005)

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 7, 2016

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Frank Miller looks like he aged 30 years in the last 10. Like, he is probably fighting some horribly debilitating disease like cancer, that's how bad he looks.

Edit:
Sin City (2005)

Oh god I had seen the comparison pics before but I forgot just how bad he looks now. He's only 59...!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't have them handy but he looked noticeably better earlier this year. Supposedly he got a liver lobe transplant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Post Good/Bad Comic Book Art - Faces of Miller edition

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm baby Edward G Robinson

Also, did the published cover really duplicate the top half of Diana's head and drag it an inch and a half to the right? Because, holy poo poo, that can't be on Miller.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Honestly I don't like any of his art that's done with colorists. At all. I think DKR 1 looks pretty terrible. Yet, you go before or after that, with Daredevil or Sin City, and see some remarkable stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I reread DKR a little bit ago and his linework just collapses entirely by the end of it. I imagine it was like the yellow oval Bat-symbol, Miller had to toe the line for the first issue or so and then he was free to just Miller all over the page.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit:
Sin City (2005)

He got so sick his nose changed directions

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Honestly I don't like any of his art that's done with colorists. At all. I think DKR 1 looks pretty terrible. Yet, you go before or after that, with Daredevil or Sin City, and see some remarkable stuff.

He could do cool poo poo with his wonk-rear end style with good colorists back in the day

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Frank MIller seems like he could probably draw a somewhat well-accepted Bizarro-centric comic where his style would be seen fitting the character or something.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Android Blues posted:

the difference here is pretty staggering, going from "ugh awful" to "wow cool!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's really more like it goes from "holy poo poo how did this possibly get published" to "ugh, awful"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that's a shocking difference. I especially like the one of Batgirl from DK2.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

purple death ray posted:

It's really more like it goes from "holy poo poo how did this possibly get published" to "ugh, awful"
I think Frank Miller is a garbage person whose work was--in hindsight--massively overblown despite being very influential, but the recolors really do look leagues better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

Frank MIller seems like he could probably draw a somewhat well-accepted Bizarro-centric comic where his style would be seen fitting the character or something.

Edit: I just realized (after I wrote the below text) you mean Bizarro as in the Superman character, not as in a generally bizarre comic. That could really work too, I like that idea. He shouldn't write it though.

See I can agree with that. His style fits really well in unique works like 300 and Sin City. It just doesn't fit at all in the DC Universe. I don't care how much you try to grit up Superman and even Batman - neither one of them are Marv. But that's basically all he does now, no matter the setting - Marvs and sexy babes (that also all look the same).

I think if he was doing something totally experimental and offbeat instead of Batman, with the same exact art, I'd like this stuff. But he seems to have no interest - even his one recent "original" work, Holy Terror, was... Ugh, well, we all know how that was.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 8, 2016

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
That book with him and Eisner is pretty good and lends some insight into his artistic direction change (which evolves/devolves, your mileage may vary) even more so many years later. He basically wanted to embrace the "bigfoot cartooning" genre and just let it fly. I mean, I respect him for that. Just saying "gently caress it, i played by your rules, I started my own and received acclaim and thus, comfort, so now I'm going full-on and I really don't care what you think."

In the loosest sense, it's early Picasso vs. late Picasso.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The recoloring couldn't save that Atom cover, that artwork is just atrocious.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sigma-X posted:

He could do cool poo poo with his wonk-rear end style with good colorists back in the day

Seconded, Ronin's probably my favorite work of his, artist-wise. (Disclaimer: I have never read Sin City)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Sin City is a bit overblown tbh, but then again I don't know technical aspects of art that well so far all I know his use of black/white is some kind-of technical masterwork.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ferrule posted:

That book with him and Eisner is pretty good and lends some insight into his artistic direction change (which evolves/devolves, your mileage may vary) even more so many years later. He basically wanted to embrace the "bigfoot cartooning" genre and just let it fly. I mean, I respect him for that. Just saying "gently caress it, i played by your rules, I started my own and received acclaim and thus, comfort, so now I'm going full-on and I really don't care what you think."

In the loosest sense, it's early Picasso vs. late Picasso.

I was gonna mention this. Agreed it's a really good book and sheds some light on how they both attempted to transcend the self imposed limitations of the medium.

Miller at his best was always more about the storytelling than painstaking attention to hyper realism and anatomy. Even his DD work plays pretty fast and loose with traditional anatomical illustrations and often comes off clumsy. What he was really, really good at was pacing, composition, lighting, unconventional use of panels, the hyper dramatic suggestion of motion and really making scenes flow. It was more like a story board in that sense. You could tell what was happening with the story without reading the dialog at all and Janson's inks, with their heavy emphasis on light and shadow as opposed to endless cross hatching, really made the art pop and set the mood.

Miller was never really a "pin up poster" type of artist. He was like the anti Jim Lee, Neal Adams, Alex Ross or George Perez - much closer to Kirby in his approach to storytelling. Sin City, wether you like it or not - was incredible in its use of light, shadow and contrast. He is able to suggest form, motion and mass without outlining everything, which is really hard to do.

Eventually though, it seemed like Miller even lost this, his greatest strength; composition and flow. take TDKSB. It's just a jumbled mess. You can't tell what the gently caress is going on half the time even with the captions and dialog. It just looks loving lazy, rushed and sloppy then made even worse by the garish coloring and cheesy Photoshop filters.

Not sure what the gently caress happened but his stuff is really hard to look at now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When Steranko started on Strange Tales it was pretty unremarkable as he was just going over Kirby's layouts and it was kind of disappointing because I had heard such good things. In Strange Tales #153 we start to see him make his presence known, and whether it's a coincidence or not, the story in this issue also has a bit of a different feel and direction, like when a new creative team comes on board and you get introductions and some changes to the status quo.

Helicarrier Schematics

Both characters featured in Strange Tales need greying temples, apparently (the title was shared: Fury in the front, Strange in the back. Oddly enough, "fury in the front, strange in the back" is exactly what I ask for from my barber)

Hm, were there any popular film spies at the time that Marvel could take inspiration from? Here is SHIELD ripping off James Bond, hard. Their Q rip-off even shares the same last name as Q!

And here's the first panel where I thought "ahh... here's Steranko!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

And here's the first panel where I thought "ahh... here's Steranko!"

This is the Marvel Universe. Wouldn't bombarding your enemy with gamma rays be a really dumb move?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

This is the Marvel Universe. Wouldn't bombarding your enemy with gamma rays be a really dumb move?

The Leader blew up a whole town with a gamma bomb and only got about a half-dozen green people out of it. Most of 'em just died.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

The Leader blew up a whole town with a gamma bomb and only got about a half-dozen green people out of it. Most of 'em just died.

Pro: Those people's families now know their loved ones were psychologically healthy and had no hang-ups that could be emphasised in the form of a primary coloured montster-person.

Con: Death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Pro: Those people's families now know their loved ones were psychologically healthy and had no hang-ups that could be emphasised in the form of a primary coloured montster-person.

Con: Death.

If JMS era Spidey villain Digger has anything to say about it, even death can't save you from the twisted ravages of gamma radiation.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Green is not a primary colour.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Green is not a primary colour.

It is in the additive spectrum.

Content:

I really like the art in My Name is Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Browsing Comixology preview pages, I just bumped into this pose.

Superman: The Man of Steel #62