Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I've played three games with Job Systems - Blue Dragon, FF3 and FF5 - and I've had fun with all of them. I wish it was in more stuff.

Try that other BD game.
And Final Fantasy Tactics. Both the FF MMOs are reliant on Jobs as well. Also, Dragon Quest IX is probably the closest to FF's, but many entries in the series have some sort of class system.

It's out there, you just have to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

NikkolasKing posted:

The "magic tier" system is much more interesting than MP. Only being able to use so many spells per tier is very neat. Of course, Devouts have so many points in the highest tiers that you're never in any danger. I've thought about trying to beat the game again without one.
That system is Wizardry as gently caress and I love them for doing that. Spell management is one of my favorite things in RPGs.

I want to replay it but is there a way to get the Onion Knight job in the DS version since the online service is dead, or should I get the PSP/Steam version?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Txn posted:

That system is Wizardry as gently caress and I love them for doing that. Spell management is one of my favorite things in RPGs.

I want to replay it but is there a way to get the Onion Knight job in the DS version since the online service is dead, or should I get the PSP/Steam version?

I'd get the Steam version if for no other reason than the Auto and Quicksave function in dungeons and before every battle.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Try that other BD game.
And Final Fantasy Tactics. Both the FF MMOs are reliant on Jobs as well. Also, Dragon Quest IX is probably the closest to FF's, but many entries in the series have some sort of class system.

It's out there, you just have to look.

From what I know of Tactics, it's not at all like these other games I named.
I don't have a 3DS for Bravely Default.
I'll get around to DQIX whenever I finally start my run through the DQ series. At present that comes after Persona.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's an SRPG but it does have a job system like those other games. X-2 also has a similar system.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FFT actually has a really great version of the job system but you have to enjoy tactics combat to really get the most out of it. You get to mix/match job skills very early in the game and there's a lot of variety.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Trying new things is Cool and Good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Well, not in this case but usually, yeah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrast posted:

It's an SRPG but it does have a job system like those other games. X-2 also has a similar system.

Oh yeah, I forgot about X-2. I beat that.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I tend to replay games a lot which is why I've probably played fewer JRPGs than most people here. If I stopped replaying FFVII right now I could concentrate on getting through the Persona series, for instance.

I dunno, I like familiar things.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thinking about starting up a file on a Final Fantasy game this weekend. Got 100% on VII and X recently so those two are out.

I was leaning toward VI since I always drop it around what feels like the half way mark and want to beat it.

SNES or GBA version?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

I tend to replay games a lot which is why I've probably played fewer JRPGs than most people here. If I stopped replaying FFVII right now I could concentrate on getting through the Persona series, for instance.

I don't like replaying games but my big problem is I am passionate about too many genres and my job requires a lot of my time so setting aside time for an RPG is a big undertaking.

You should play FFT though, you'd probably love it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Of course the problem is none of this poo poo is intuitive or obvious, so instead of explaining the subtleties of the game's mechanics in the remakes, the developers just made everything vastly easier, which honestly is still an improvement since it makes it even easier to break the game sideways. Just wish they fixed the terrible dungeons though.

FF2 GBA is a game i actually enjoy playing, but the first thing they should have done when remaking it is taking out the like 16 empty rooms with increased monster encounters every dungeon has

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Meridian posted:

Thinking about starting up a file on a Final Fantasy game this weekend. Got 100% on VII and X recently so those two are out.

I was leaning toward VI since I always drop it around what feels like the half way mark and want to beat it.

SNES or GBA version?

Ideally GBA with this patch, though honestly the SNES version's still perfectly fine if you don't mind the lack of bonus content and the various bugs (which can be fixed with patches if you want, though only the Evade Bug and Sketch Glitches really need fixing). Either translation is fine.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Ideally GBA with this patch, though honestly the SNES version's still perfectly fine if you don't mind the lack of bonus content and the various bugs (which can be fixed with patches if you want, though only the Evade Bug and Sketch Glitches really need fixing). Either translation is fine.

Oh wow, I didn't know this romhack existed. Cool poo poo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
guys, I found out the worst FF game. It's 4 heroes of light.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't have a 3DS for Bravely Default.

I think he was reccomending the 2 Blue Dragon sequels: Blue Dragon Plus and Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow which came out on DS in 2008 and 2009. Though I know nothing about either sequel, and how much of a job system they incorporate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think he was reccomending the 2 Blue Dragon sequels: Blue Dragon Plus and Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow which came out on DS in 2008 and 2009. Though I know nothing about either sequel, and how much of a job system they incorporate.

Oh yeah! I forgot those existed. I hear the gameplay is pretty different from BD, though.

Still, I might put them on my To Play List. (It's a very long list, sadly)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tired Moritz posted:

4HoL isn't that bad. It's a proto-Bravely Default, with emphasis on the proto. Unpolished as hell, but charming and still far from FF3DS levels.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

4HoL isn't that bad.

It isn't that bad, but enemies will still outscale your level by the halfway point if you don't run from like 50% of the encounters (and even then, bosses still still). It's a consequence of the poorly-planned equipment system; if they hadn't locked your equipment levels behind doing those lovely nightmare 100-floor marathon dungeons, it would actually be fairly balanced.

As it stands, however, +10 weapons and armor will fail you right about after you get your airship, randos will start ruining your poo poo hard, and you still have plenty of game to go.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I reached the point where you finally had four heroes and then I learned I grinded too much and the boss just keep murdering me. terrible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As much as I loved Bravely Second, it really proved to me how much that type of game NEEDS endgame challenge dungeons.

It's no fun setting up some insane supercombo that lets you make four times more moves, doubled stats and making GBS threads out damage in all directions when you don't have something to match you for trying. It had some bonus bosses, but they weren't really as fun.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm planning on trying the Fiesta, as the challenge seems right up my alley. Is this 4-year-old post still accurate for best simulating how the gilgabot determines jobs? I'd be doing it on regular (not hard) mode

W.T. Fits posted:

Honestly, it doesn't take long to set up a Twitter account for this, and I'm not planning on using mine for anything beyond this either.

But if you're really not feeling it, you could always just use Random.org to roll randomly for your jobs using the following list:

1. Knight
2. Monk
3. Thief
4. White Mage
5. Black Mage
6. Blue Mage
7. Mystic Knight
8. Red Mage
9. Berserker
10. Summoner
11. Time Mage
12. Beastmaster
13. Ranger
14. Geomancer
15. Bard
16. Ninja
17. Samurai
18. Dragoon
19. Dancer
20. Chemist

Just roll 1-6 for the Wind Crystal, 1-11 for Water, 1-16 for Fire, and 1-20 for Earth. (I tested it a minute ago and it came up with 4, 8, 9, and 5 in that order. Now that would be an interesting challenge.)

For those who want to just do a regular mode run, just do 1-6 for the Wind jobs, 7-11 for Water, 12-16 for Fire, and 17-20 for Earth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That should work fine. There's a whole thread dedicated to it, though since it's off-season it's essentially dead. Still has a lot of great resources for first-timers though.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about X-2. I beat that.

Play X-2 again. There's a lot of depth to be found in repeated playthroughs.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

As much as I loved Bravely Second, it really proved to me how much that type of game NEEDS endgame challenge dungeons.

It's no fun setting up some insane supercombo that lets you make four times more moves, doubled stats and making GBS threads out damage in all directions when you don't have something to match you for trying. It had some bonus bosses, but they weren't really as fun.

BS was definitely easier than BD. I loved both but it's way easier to steamroller BS. The bonus dungeons weren't very hard or long, although the bonus boss was appropriately difficult. Giving access to the Bishops percentage based healing with the white mage's no-penalty group healing so early (if you went that route) made staying alive super easy. I'd like to try a challenge mode of both games sometimes if there are any good ideas for them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks! Should I restrict my FJF notes and questions to that thread, or would people be interested in here as well?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

It's you! It's you that said Enix was a shining beacon of JRPG excellence in the SNES era and cited 7th Saga as an example in the previous thread! You hell fucker!

I mean... whatever floats your boat, different strokes, all that bullshit – but 7th Saga "was" not fine. Maybe it is *now* if you patch it, I don't know and never will, and it's interesting that different versions of games exist thanks to rereleases, fan patches and the like, but how am I patching 7th Saga on my SNES in 1995? Similarly, automating EXP grinding for a whole night... I mean seriously, that makes the game fine? Not that I had a turbo controller in the first place, nor should that be a prerequisite! Just... no, man, these are not examples why 7th Saga was fine, not in this universe.

I beat the game on its normal difficulty and only figured out the grinding thing after a playthrough that I abandoned because if you save right before fighting Foma and aren't able to beat it well sucks to be you. I can't remember how many tries I took to beat that boss and its bullshit random attack nullifying mechanic but yeah trying the game again with the difficulty fixed made me wish Enix hadn't hosed it up so much in the localization.

DizzyBum posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know this romhack existed. Cool poo poo.

Music restoration pathces also exist for FF5 on GBA. I'd imagine the FF4 GBA game has one too.

All GBA games need music patches because holy poo poo GBA music is so bad otherwise.

Tired Moritz posted:

I'd forgotten this game even existed.

Cleretic posted:

The superbosses were available in your town. It's just that when you do one of those "I'm literally invincible" setups (which I never got to work right :shrug:) it won't matter how tough an enemy is if they aren't somehow designed to hard counter your setup.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Ba'al aren't as fun as facing different job setups. They're more gimmicky.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Terper posted:

The Ba'al aren't as fun as facing different job setups. They're more gimmicky.

Yeah, neither the Ba'als nor most of the 4HoL demons were 'hard' so much as 'weird'. And I'm fine with weird, but it doesn't really challenge you in the same way. Also, I felt like a lot of the Ba'als had more HP than they should've; as gimmicks they're fine, but I feel like a gimmick boss shouldn't stick around too long after you make it clear you 'get' them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
maybe one day they will remake 4HoL and make it not garbage because I genuinely like the atmosphere, story and artstyle but god, scaling enemies are mistakes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And also have Revo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFesij2Jp6I&t=85s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What was that FF7 romhack with the random Guard Scorpion rematches, and how many did it end up having?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What was that FF7 romhack with the random Guard Scorpion rematches, and how many did it end up having?

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0

I never finished my last run of the new version (it's been substantially altered since the version I completed) but I think there was something like.....5 or 6 rematches. If you want, I can list out where they happen. They're usually a fun surprise though.

And It has a lot of other awesome features besides the guard scorpion rematches.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"I know absolutely nothing about FFXV! Help me!!"

Square Enix have heard your wishes and released a :eng101: new trailer. Might wanna open it in a Private Window, since spoilery videos on Youtube abound and you might have one show up in your sidebar or front page as recommendation.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Terper posted:

Square Enix have heard your wishes and released a :eng101: new trailer. Might wanna open it in a Private Window, since spoilery videos on Youtube abound and you might have one show up in your sidebar or front page as recommendation.

Good trailer. I'm a little sad to hear that different outfits have different stats, I was hoping to be able to change freely without worrying about being suboptimal. Maybe it's just minor or inconsequential stat changes.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Terper posted:

I am extremely glad they made a video like this, I actually know what to expect now in depth. I've watched a trailer or two in the past but have pretty much not cared for it so far, so an extended look into what the game has to offer was a really good move and, dare I say, might've got me a teeny bit hyped.

Still wish we'd have gotten another demo to get an actual, decent hands-on feel for the game but I guess not (i know about the judgement demo).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There is of course also the very cool and sexy OP of the FFXV thread which has a lot of gameplay info!!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got an email that the "you're awful with money" collectors edition has shipped. It's happening. It's real!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Terper posted:

There is of course also the very cool and sexy OP of the FFXV thread which has a lot of gameplay info!!

But why risk even looking at the first page of that thread when spoilers abound?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Because the thread was made months and months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I've been playing FFVI while waiting for XV to come out and I'm actually starting to get really into it. I'm thinking of playing IX after this one too.