Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I almost feel like the only thing keeping Kara there and on the reporter thing is her commitment to Cat's vision for her. She values Cat so much that she'd probably be scared of disappointing her by quitting.

Ideally at some crucial point of time Cat will show back up, give Kara a pep talk, and admit shes always known shes Supergirl and couldn't be prouder. So Kara is let off the hook on what she feels she owes Cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

STAC Goat posted:

Ideally at some crucial point of time Cat will show back up, give Kara a pep talk, and admit shes always known shes Supergirl and couldn't be prouder. So Kara is let off the hook on what she feels she owes Cat.

I would swear this basically already happened but now the show is mostly acting like it didn't so maybe it's just me.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think that's the thing. I'm fine with the traditional explanation of why Clark/Kara have the secret identity it's just that the show has made it pretty unnecessary. Supergirl is embraced by the city and Alex has a badge so any advantages being a reporter give seem moot. And Kara's established this entire circle of family and friends that have everything to do with her alien life and has absolutely no one outside of it.

This is kind of an adverse effect of Cat leaving the show since she supposedly didn't know and Kara clearly deeply valued having her in her life. With her gone its not clear what Kara's getting from CatCo. It doesn't help that the reporter angle came out of nowhere and has gone nowhere in the show.

In a way, becoming a 'reporter' or journalist is a terrible choice. They are usually obligated to disclose any links or apparent conflicts of interest when covering an issue to which they have personal, professional or business connection.. Kara is working on a pro-off-worlders story which is terribly dishonest since she is an alien pretending to be human.
"We should trust aliens", writes the alien who is deceiving everyone by masquerading as an Earthling. :shrug:

And speaking of Cat, it would nice if she showed up again if only to advise Supergirl to expand her wardrobe. This isn't the 1950s. What woman wears the same outfit every freakin' day - by choice?! Supergirl could do with a few variations on her Winn-designed superhero costume without it affecting her capability or recognition.

edit: I like the show, the cast, the writing, the stories...it's the long wait between episodes when all this silly nit-picking and over-analysis happens.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

In a way, becoming a 'reporter' or journalist is a terrible choice. They are usually obligated to disclose any links or apparent conflicts of interest when covering an issue to which they have personal, professional or business connection.. Kara is working on a pro-off-worlders story which is terribly dishonest since she is an alien pretending to be human.
"We should trust aliens", writes the alien who is deceiving everyone by masquerading as an Earthling. :shrug:

At least Snapper Carr is keeping her bias in check. Snapper owns.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tree Dude posted:

I would swear this basically already happened but now the show is mostly acting like it didn't so maybe it's just me.

It did. Cat figured out she was Supergirl and decided the CatCo job was only holding her back from her true purpose as a hero. But then J'onn posed as Supergirl so Kara could convince Cat they weren't the same person. Cat either believed it or recognized Kara needed her secret so just went with it.

The difference is Kara was at a different place back then. Her civilian life was still a huge part of her identity and she was still coming to terms with being Supergirl and an alien. Now she's found her groove and her whole world is basically the DEO and Supergirl. So if Cat were in the same position now she'd probably once again think CatCo is holding her back and Kara MIGHT be at a place where she agrees.

I doubt it because as said the secret identity and nerdy reporting thing is hard wired into the show DNA. But it would make a lot of sense for National City to be going through a crisis, Kara be torn between her duties as Supergirl and Snapper's instance she do her job, and Cat shows up to tell her to set her priorities and help her understand she doesn't need CatCo anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've addressed the civilian identity thing in comics with Clark where he basically explains that he needs to have downtime where he can just be "normal" and that being seen as Superman 24/7 would drive him nuts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really see Clark and Kara as the same character. Clark was raised human, was a reporter before he became Superman and built his whole circle of family and friends around it, and ultimately had a whole established career and life by the time he ever had a chance to reasonably choose to walk away from it.

Kara's always been different. She was raised on Krypton and with the knowledge of a universe of alien races. Shes starting this reporter thing after she's established herself as Supergirl and built this circle of friends and family which all comes around her alien and hero identity. The show has gone to great lengths to show Kara seems to love it when she has a Mon El or Flash to socialize with and can lean into her alien or hero-ness.

Clark doesn't have that because he sees himself as human and Clark first and "Kal El" second.

It's totally possible that being a reporter could just be fulfilling enough for Kara to warrant her pursuing it. The show just hasn't done a very good job showing that so far. Right now it feels like she's doing it because she thinks shes supposed to based on what Cat and Clark did.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Looks like they're upgrading the Guardian suit to something not shite but kinda Deathstrokey

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh come on. I get that they need to change the shape of the helmet, but it's not like the comic version has particularly garish colors. At least change the pants and undershirt to blue

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They might be navy, actually. It's kinda hard to tell in the instagram pic. And gold looks pretty tacky and garish in live action. There's a reason why Iron Man is explicitly a playboy egotist.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So which DCTV show will get the honor of having Booster Gold? It'll be this one of Legends, which should make it great if/when it happens.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So which DCTV show will get the honor of having Booster Gold? It'll be this one of Legends, which should make it great if/when it happens.

Booster Gold would be excellent on The Flash that would be so great.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The answer is: none of them. Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg are developing a Booster Gold movie.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Hollismason posted:

Booster Gold would be excellent on The Flash that would be so great.

Think scifi might still own the rights to booster gold as they did a pilot for booster gold and didn't do anything beyond that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Supergirl throwing shade already.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So Cyborg Superman won't be Dean Cain.
e: looking at the credits reserving judgement.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cool I thought they were gonna go with the " Jon goes crazy because of white martian blood". Nice change up wasn't expecting the real Hank Henshaw,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They just straight up called him Cyborg Superman :laffo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

howe_sam posted:

They just straight up called him Cyborg Superman :laffo:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssss

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Winn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Thanagar!!

Oh snap Maggie Drama Wham o

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
drat everything's going crazy all at once.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah Mon El shouldn't probably become a Super hero if he's super vulnerable to bullets. This is good so far.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hi there Jeremiah, so what twisted thing did Cadmus do to you?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Winn being terrified of prison because he watched all the seasons of Oz was hilarious.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized how silly the opening narration is. "To most people, I'm a reporter at Katco"

She's written two articles. For a newspaper. No one knows who she is.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Most people also wouldn't know who Cat Grant's assistant is.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
First season after the switch to The CW and man the teenage drama has already run rampant, even for a SciFi show about aliens. Mon-El clearly has a thing for Kara, Alex has all her drama with coming out gay and with her possible love interest Maggie Sawyer. That's not what I want to watch! I just want to see Supergirl smash the bad guys, that's it! Plus what the hell happened to Mon-El on Daxxom that he's been keeping secret!?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd feel a little better if Cadmus isn't constantly chumping our heroes. Also Superman has poo poo security. I figured the blood was going to go into making the Power Girl clone from JLA, not just smearing it on Cyborg Superman's hand so he can steal Kryptopedia.

Though Batman existing in Supergirl universe is really nifty.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I'd feel a little better if Cadmus isn't constantly chumping our heroes. Also Superman has poo poo security. I figured the blood was going to go into making the Power Girl clone from JLA, not just smearing it on Cyborg Superman's hand so he can steal Kryptopedia.

Whats this about Batman? Is Mon-El his ultimate villain? A Superman that can only be killed with the one weapon Batman won't use: Bullets.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

First season after the switch to The CW and man the teenage drama has already run rampant, even for a SciFi show about aliens. Mon-El clearly has a thing for Kara, Alex has all her drama with coming out gay and with her possible love interest Maggie Sawyer. That's not what I want to watch! I just want to see Supergirl smash the bad guys, that's it! Plus what the hell happened to Mon-El on Daxxom that he's been keeping secret!?

Did you even watch last season? If anything the soap opera aspect was even more pronounced.

And Mon-El either is the prince, or stepped over the prince to get in the pod.

twistedmentat posted:

They kind of hinted that Batman was around last season as well. And Superman just assumes nobody else can lift the big loving key.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What were the Batman hints?

Wait I must have missed something does the Fortress of Solitude in Supergirl actually have a giant key that you need to get in with because YES.

howe_sam posted:

Did you even watch last season? If anything the soap opera aspect was even more pronounced.

And Mon-El either is the prince, or stepped over the prince to get in the pod.

They kind of hinted that Batman was around last season as well. And Superman just assumes nobody else can lift the big loving key.

Uh, it's pretty much shown in flashback that he was with the Prince and the Prince was like " I'm dying with my people" and Mon El was like " Peace out"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

What were the Batman hints?

Wait I must have missed something does the Fortress of Solitude in Supergirl actually have a giant key that you need to get in with because YES.

Presumably. It's an established part of Superman lore and Supergirl doesn't seem like the kinda show that would drop it just because it's silly

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I know about the key. They have what I assume is Kelex so I am pretty happy about that and the Fortess looks really cool too.

Yes they do!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOTtt_M9jQ

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah it's not just part of the comics lore, the dwarf star key was explicitly shown last season. Watch the first season guys, it gets good. :colbert:

Also, the Batman hint was during the intro bar scene; Kara mentions that her cousin worked with a vigilante who used lots of gadgets but had a lot of demons.

Anyway, I felt like I was watching an episode of Arrow during the Guardian plot, and I don't particularly approve. Winn is making that storyline less balls, but all the same I really just...do not need it in this show. In general I feel like this episode tried to juggle a lot of things at once and most of it just barely sort of worked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the entire Guardian sub plot is terrible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Anyway, I felt like I was watching an episode of Arrow during the Guardian plot, and I don't particularly approve.

It doesn't help that Arrow did almost this exact story with Vigilante last week. Also, a fist fight between a dude holding a shield, and another with a machine gun strapped to his arm looks janky as all hell.

Hollismason posted:

Uh, it's pretty much shown in flashback that he was with the Prince and the Prince was like " I'm dying with my people" and Mon El was like " Peace out"
Right, but that's the story Kara knows and clearly there's something else going on. I'm saying that maybe the prince wasn't actually so self-sacrificing, and Mon-El stabbed him in the back or something to escape.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 22, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the entire Guardian sub plot is terrible.
Agreed. I liked the murder guy better.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Cut price Punisher. Reprimander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's hoping that they took Supergirl's blood so that they can make PowergirlGalatea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nque-CKoFk

EDIT: God drat I always forget how brutal this fight was.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 22, 2016