Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah sorry if I ask a lot of stupid questions, still exploring everything.

Don't worry about it. Ask away. I love this game and I'm always happy to see new people pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I like Gorlaks enough I usually don't include them in Fight Club, instead leaving them in the zoo as they'll just get murdered if they are kept in the wild.

I've been stationing squads outside occasionally to try to cut down on sickness, I am hesitant to build training areas outside as I usually wall up with drawbridges until all the squads are together and then tidal flood the invaders. This time I've only had one invasion in 5+ years (and it was a tiny one!) and also set up the main tavern to be outside my drawbridges, so all the visiting fighters and bards will be a meat shield, assuming the enemy nearby stops conquering other sites and tries their luck with us. Puke everywhere is so normal I barely even notice it any more, and thanks to various Forgotten Beasts and their various poison gases giant trails of blood are also common in this fortress.

Draltha are grazers so you should probably butcher them if you don't want to give them a pasture, Rutherers are the superior subterranean big creature to farm as they don't need grass (unless you luck out and get a pair of Cave Dragons!)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I want to pick this game up and have been extensively reading the wiki and some tutorials but just... :stare:

So intimidating and I'm half afraid of it taking over my life.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I vaguely recall a story about a tame Gorlak that would just socialize in the meeting hall with everyone in the fortress until he was elected Mayor. I tried googling this but I can't find it. Maybe it was a different creature that can speak.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I want to pick this game up and have been extensively reading the wiki and some tutorials but just... :stare:

If you're anything like me, you'll spend the entirety of three days playing it once a year and spend the rest of the year reading what everyone else is doing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I load it up for Adventure Mode from time to time, it's easier for me to relearn how it works over Fortress mode which I haven't seriously played since 40d.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
A couple times a year I'll start up a fort and go at it for a week or two. I usually chip in to the Toady fund when there's an update. Not a lot of games can make me care as much as DF during times where I'm not actually playing.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Met posted:

I vaguely recall a story about a tame Gorlak that would just socialize in the meeting hall with everyone in the fortress until he was elected Mayor. I tried googling this but I can't find it. Maybe it was a different creature that can speak.

I think Gremlins can do this, I occasionally have Gorlak visitors in some of my forts but haven't had any join a fort like I have with some of the other animal men. I've never managed to catch a gremlin but I've caught Forgotten Beasts and other things that are supposed to be trap avoiders.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I definitely remember a story about a tiger man mayor from before the tavern update. Tame intelligent animals would wander around meeting zones like stray animals, but could socialize and qualify for elected positions. I don't think I've seen an animal person monarch yet though.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015
I recently made a small world with advanced parameters and basically made everything volcanoes and titan caves. It's been a wild ride thus far. My pack of free roaming wardogs and one SuperTuff™ Wood cutter took down a Jungle Titan made of salt.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GorfZaplen posted:

I load it up for Adventure Mode from time to time, it's easier for me to relearn how it works over Fortress mode which I haven't seriously played since 40d.

It's not crazily different from then- your basic strategy of 'plump helmets forever' is still the same.

If you really wanted to you could probably still setup a good fortress then start adding on libraries, taverns, messing with the new military system, etc. Vampires and such may appear but that's just a new wrinkle briefly.

The only really different changes is that now there are the caverns, and mining adamantine is... rather more dangerous.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think any creature with the [CAN_SPEAK] and/or [CAN_LEARN] tags can become mayor yeah (dunno if it requires both or just can speak or what). Gremlins and animalmen mayors are pretty common.

They're actually really likely to become mayors because all they do is faff around and talk to people and make friends. You're almost guaranteed to get a gremlin/animalman/Gorlak mayor if you pasture it in your great hall so all they do is hang out and chat.

I haven't seen an animalman monarch either but the 43.xx update lets animalman individuals join civilizations during world gen so it's possible I bet, albeit probably extremely unlikely. Not really sure how succession works if there is no heir or family members, iirc it just picks a civ member at random.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think Gremlins can do this, I occasionally have Gorlak visitors in some of my forts but haven't had any join a fort like I have with some of the other animal men. I've never managed to catch a gremlin but I've caught Forgotten Beasts and other things that are supposed to be trap avoiders.

Gremlins love to pull your levers (they are dicks) so the easiest way is to just set up a little 9x9 or so walled off room in the caverns with a support in the middle holding up a tile of floor, a lever that removes the support, and cage traps everywhere else. Gremlins will pull the lever and cause a cave in which will stun them and they will probably land on a trap due to getting knocked back from the cave in.

They are *supposed* to not pull levers anymore once tamed but all the same I'd secure any self-destruct levers if you have gremlins running around.

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah sorry if I ask a lot of stupid questions, still exploring everything.

I like explaining this game to people so idc at all. Helps me remember wtf I'm doing when I fire it up. Thread moves slow anyway when we're between updates.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 16, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

From Reddit:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I saw a post a while back about changing what type of stuff is in a vein...

Is there some similar way to get a bunch of seeds(I need rock nuts)

This game is making me crazy

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

RFC2324 posted:

I feel ya. Im on my sixth embark on ground with shallow and deep metals, and I can't find any iron at all. None.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Eric the Mauve posted:

Captian duck has a good series for you and is a goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDiKXYeqeY

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

No iron ore is fun imo. Get the caravan to get you a shitload of that ore that lets you make bronze from all your tetrahedrite (cassiterite? I can never keep it straight), buy everything made of iron anyone brings and melt it down, carefully decide what to make with your precious bars, collect the iron bolts the caravan guards blast everywhere. And then you switch to a goblinite-based economy and all is gravy. God I'm gonna start a fuckin fortress.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
That's basically my current fort. I've dug out several layers with no sign of iron but have hit two massive gold veins and six silver veins, so I'm just exporting useless (but expensive) poo poo and importing iron. Have a whole layer of chalk, too.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Elth posted:

I definitely remember a story about a tiger man mayor from before the tavern update. Tame intelligent animals would wander around meeting zones like stray animals, but could socialize and qualify for elected positions. I don't think I've seen an animal person monarch yet though.

This was because elves couldn't tell the difference between tigers and tiger men, and would happily trade you one for an assortment of socks and mechanisms. They'd then "join" your fort as a citizen, as all pets and livestock do, and since they had the necessary tags for it, could hold office.

They couldn't be assigned jobs, but they could socialize as you've said, so they'd just hang around the dinner table campaigning driving up their social skills and relationships to absurd levels.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

That's basically my current fort. I've dug out several layers with no sign of iron but have hit two massive gold veins and six silver veins, so I'm just exporting useless (but expensive) poo poo and importing iron. Have a whole layer of chalk, too.

Gold's use is lining the floors of pit traps to cause victims to just blow apart into 500 gobs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324 posted:

If you mean with DFHack the commands you're looking for are either the 'changeitem' or 'createitem' ones.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Utility:DFHack/createitem

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

New mayor got elected after I traded with the humans, mayor immediately makes exporting scepters illegal, which is bad because I traded a whole bunch of bone scepters off. As soon as the humans leave a whole ton of people are queued for production violations and now three people have been beaten to death. Time to murder the mayor in a creative way...

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This is me. Im up to my eyeballs in gold that I craft out and encrust with gems. So I can buy plenty of iron, I just can't believe I havent ran into any yet.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Dwarven civ offered me something stupid like 188% on crowns.

I have nothing but gold and silver and a Legendary metal crafter.

Just bought out an entire caravan with nothing but a handful of crowns.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can someone please explain the basics of setting up trap hell for invaders? I get to the "make a bunch of cages, lay them out all over the single path into your fort, wait for enemies" bit, but then I just kinda get lost. Does cage material matter? Is there a difference between a lovely wooden cage and a masterworks iron cage? What can I do with the cages once things are inside them? How do I reset this poo poo?

What about other traps? Pitfalls seem difficult to do properly, but I don't know how to set them up and reset them. What other varieties of traps are out there that I haven't even thought of? I think I need to start a fort to learn about traps and try to focus on killing off invaders without even having a militia.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pitfalls are generally done by digging out a big pit and making the only way over it a retractable bridge, possibly with bridges at either end that raise to trap things in the center.

Fields of weapon traps are popular defensive tools. Generally you'll want to put the specialized trap weapons like serrated blades inside. If you're hurting for metal you can make them out of glass.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 18, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tarezax posted:

Pitfalls are generally done by digging out a big pit and making the only way over it a retractable bridge, possibly with bridges at either end that raise to trap things in the center.

Fields of weapon traps are popular defensive tools. Generally you'll want to put the specialized trap weapons like serrated blades inside. If you're hurting for metal you can make them out of glass.

Ah, and here I was thinking that a pits had to be some sort of cave-in device that dropped targets into a either a deep pit or something full of traps or whatever. What's generally considered the easiest thing to set up in an early fort, like asap? I presume the pit method, with a bridge right before the entrance so that the fort can be sealed?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

a hallway full of wooden cages will stop everything as long as you have enough wood and stones (for the mechanisms). The only problem is then managing the filled cages, disarming, and mass pitting the captured guests.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tarezax posted:

can't you also make pit traps a checkerboard of spike traps on repeat, since enemies will either be spiked, or (hopefully) jump out of the way to their doom?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh yeah, one more question. I don't want my forts getting overrun with pets that immigrants bring in and the like. Is it ok to slaughter unwanted pets as they arrive, or will doing that lead to bad tantrums and the like? Or should I just let everyone have whatever pets they want in the hopes that they'll be meat shields to attackers or whatever?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Wooden spikes traps can also work pretty well in a pinch to mess invaders up. 10 of them in on weapon trap should injury someone even if armored.

Stray animals are free to go to the butcher, you can not butcher claimed animals. I would butcher everything you want to so you preserve frame rate. Meatshields can be made from war dogs if that is a concern for you but I have never used them like that.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I tend to preserve a male or two and a couple of females of any species and the rest get the chop. One male and a page or so of female dogs will create puppies faster than you can kill them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Last time I played this minecarts were going to be a thing, last time I bothered to check patch notes they were buggy. I assume minecarts work, what other new major things have changed? Any new version recently hit that I should be waiting for bug fix patches? Has Tarn said anything about a new version coming out soon that I should hold off re-learning the UI for? I know even at the best of times it's a crap shot with new feature versions but usually there is a hint.

Actually I think this was about the last thing I remember and I'm sure people would love to watch this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SINs8e6sQ

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Two dumb questions:

I have a caged giant mole I want to butcher. When I try to assign him to an actual cage building to then release him and be cut down for butchering, they just take him back to the animal stockpile cage. Am I missing something about releasing animals?

A child went melancholy after I ignored his outrageous project demands. How should I deal with this? Will it cause a tantrum spiral? Should I toss him down a pit?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheHoosier posted:

A child went melancholy after I ignored his outrageous project demands. How should I deal with this? Will it cause a tantrum spiral? Should I toss him down a pit?

If you are going to ignore a demand you should try and get them killed before they go insane. You should drown the boy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Two dumb questions:

I have a caged giant mole I want to butcher. When I try to assign him to an actual cage building to then release him and be cut down for butchering, they just take him back to the animal stockpile cage. Am I missing something about releasing animals?

You shouldn't need to uncage something to butcher it.

A dwarf who is melancholy will mostly not do work and might try to kill himself by tossing himself down a pit. This will probably make his friends and relatives pretty sad but he's not going to kill anyone.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TheHoosier posted:

Two dumb questions:

Just select the mole rat for butchering without transferring cages. It should be fine.

You cant really deal with it, at this point he will either die of thirst or off himself. It most likely wont cause a tantrum spiral unless the parents are already pissy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tenebrais posted:

You shouldn't need to uncage something to butcher it

Oh right, thank you. Ill go ahead and send the boy into the spider caves and see what happens. Maybe he'll emerge like Leonidus

Edit: Bagged a Cyclops who was knocking over my beehives. He's in my custody; taking suggestions as to what I do with this filthy cretin

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 19, 2016

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

TheHoosier posted:

Edit: Bagged a Cyclops who was knocking over my beehives. He's in my custody; taking suggestions as to what I do with this filthy cretin

Build his cage outside and link it to a lever to be pulled the next time goblins come visit. Or have gladiatorial events with your other captives.

I did learn that if you capture titans/cyclops and then later abandon the fortress without killing them, they'll pop up again if you start a fort in the same world. Same with were-creatures that are entombed in the walls.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Build his cage outside and link it to a lever to be pulled the next time goblins come visit. Or have gladiatorial events with your other captives.

I did learn that if you capture titans/cyclops and then later abandon the fortress without killing them, they'll pop up again if you start a fort in the same world. Same with were-creatures that are entombed in the walls.

I uh, accidentally dropped him into a pit. I was messing with the Dump mechanic and was gonna toss some toads, and tossed him as well. He completely shattered on impact and some dwarf collecting webs finished him off. RIP cyclops

I do have a troll, two Gorlaks, and three Trogs, so maybe ill try this gladiator thing if I can figure out the logistics

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

will hostile creatures in cages in public areas like a tavern cause disturbances? I wanna know if I can keep a dangerous thing as a bouncer for when all hell breaks loose in the tavern.