Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
WHEN CAN I BUY A HAWAIIAN SHIRT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh my god! :swoon:
Just found Gildeon's motel room. WITH A LITTLE BED FOR TYPE:NULL NEXT TO HIS.

worth nothing that you can't sleep in either of those beds :(

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 19, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't imagine being someone interested in a new Pokémon game and the story and dialog having any impact on my decision.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They should because the story is great. If you don't feel attached to the world of pokemon after going to the Thrifty Megamart and realizing you Could get some Goodra Curry Noodles but really your only way to make meets end is with a Crabrawler Instant Noodles diet, well, you're just not human.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Crosspeice posted:

the companions are always annoying
Barry Jorge did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
RBY will always be the best because it had the best team, no companions, and best of all, a lack of story. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I haven't left the first island yet, but I enjoy Lillie and Nebby and Hau hasn't been around enough to annoy me. So I have a mostly positive character experience so far, having not met most of the cast. Cheren, Bianca, and N are still the best companions though.

And idk about the plot, but I like how cinematic it is and I really love how more realized Alola feels as a place than former regions. Like, I love that most people have pet beds and food bowls for their pet Pokemon. It really sells the world for me.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Lana is not what I expected and I love it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dr. Fetus posted:

RBY will always be the best because it had the best team, no companions, and best of all, a lack of story. :colbert:
How is being wrong workin' out for ya

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i mean pokemon showdown exists if all folks want is an I/O system for numbers through formulas

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't pay attention to the pokestories usually, but xy's was absurdly bad, from the villains to your friends slash rival to Az or whoever that gently caress up was.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Alola is all about having a good time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I haven't played a pokemon game since like loving Heart Gold how lost am i going to be

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

eonwe posted:

if I haven't played a pokemon game since like loving Heart Gold how lost am i going to be

Probably not, Pokemon doesn't really change a lot from generation to generation

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The story and characters are good so far as long as you're fine with there actually being a story. I sure see a lot of people mashing through everything while saying the story is bad and I don't think that's actually fair.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh my god! :swoon:
Just found Gildeon's motel room. WITH A LITTLE BED FOR TYPE:NULL NEXT TO HIS.

worth nothing that you can't sleep in either of those beds :(

I like when you talk to him there and he just says "Get out." and nothing else.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

eonwe posted:

It is a game for 6 year olds

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

eonwe posted:

Probably not very, there's one new type that has some odd match ups to remember but other than that the mechanics of battle are mostly identical and it even tells you more info than before.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Serebii.net: We are aware that the game has leaked but will not be playing the game using illegal methods
Serebii.net: Here we are at launch date and I have discovered a list of all pokemon, locations, alternate colors, and move sets.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eonwe posted:

If you can read, you can follow and enjoy any pokemon game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just met Gladion and him just shutting Hua down for being a stepford smiler was good.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

Serebii.net: We are aware that the game has leaked but will not be playing the game using illegal methods
Serebii.net: Here we are at launch date and I have discovered a list of all pokemon, locations, alternate colors, and move sets.

iirc Joe got into a lot of trouble with Nintendo for posting stuff from B/W way back in the day, so he didn't want to get into legal trouble again and risk Serebii getting taken down or something (???)

But hey it's more convenient this way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Yea of all the fan sites they actually have had the most brushes with Nintendo over leaks/early copies/etc so I doubt it was them being coy and more like a case of 'no see we said we don't approve of those early games, we're good. Yea we just happened to know the game all the way to endgame within hours of launch, prove we're not wizards'.

eonwe posted:

this game rules and probably on the top part of my GOTY list but it's a game for literal babies and if you already know the basics you're plenty fine. The only curveball will be stuff like HMs replaced by poke-pager and even then that stuff is super clearly explained, so no biggie.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well I've been walking around this grass for a while now I'm starting to believe that pikachu, munchlax, and grubbin don't actually exist

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You know, I never really realized it until now, but drat the PC is creepy as gently caress. Constantly smiling, staring, never blinking...

I think your mom wants you out of the house just because you're creepy as gently caress and she doesn't want to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

eonwe posted:

Not very. The games are pretty straightforward and these ones flat out tell you where to go.

Zodack posted:

iirc Joe got into a lot of trouble with Nintendo for posting stuff from B/W way back in the day, so he didn't want to get into legal trouble again and risk Serebii getting taken down or something (???)

But hey it's more convenient this way

He got in trouble because he pirated the game and got caught red handed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jwang posted:

You know, I never really realized it until now, but drat the PC is creepy as gently caress. Constantly smiling, staring, never blinking...

I think your mom wants you out of the house just because you're creepy as gently caress and she doesn't want to deal with that poo poo anymore.
They remind me of the Animal Crossing villager from Smash Bros. Just the unblinking face of a cold-blooded killer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

well I've been walking around this grass for a while now I'm starting to believe that pikachu, munchlax, and grubbin don't actually exist

Are you sure you're in the right patch of grass? I didn't see Grubbin until the final patch of grass in route 1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you sure you're in the right patch of grass? I didn't see Grubbin until the final patch of grass in route 1.

I've checked 'em all at this point but I'll focus on that one now, thanks

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Grubbin is in the last 2 patches on Route 1. Munchlax can't be gotten until you can break through the rocks.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Grubbin and Pichu can be found in the two patches of grass just outside that little village you go to choose your starter. I think they both have low encounter rates, so hope you get lucky.

In other news, I caught a Chikorita with the QR scanner thing.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

He got in trouble because he pirated the game and got caught red handed.

Ha, yeah - I just couldn't remember if it was just that he got caught playing a ROM, or if they also tacked on a cease and desist for spoiling a lot of stuff.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So far I think my experience with previous Pokemon games has been more of a hindrance than a help, at least in terms of the more granular details. I was thrown for a loop when I peeked online and saw that different patches of otherwise identical grass on the same route had different Pokemon, and I just spent like ten minutes looking for a way to register items, only to find that everything I would have had to register has been replaced or given some sort of overworld context command. I'm liking the more convenient setup, though the irony isn't lost on me that they only put the Move Deleter somewhere you can reach early in the game after they'd phased out his primary function (removing HMs).

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

An important difference to note about Sun/Moon is that encounter rates don't just apply for the entire route, each individual patch of grass has it's own encounter chart.

Additionally, I haven't gotten far enough to try totem or doubles battles, but turning off battle animations seems to totally get rid of any slowdown/framerate issues I was running into all throughout my first playthrough, so if you're getting annoyed at the shoddy performance, try that out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Got a wipeout on the fourth totem. I had Torracat, Salandit and Chargeabug in my team. Better pay more attention.

Aw, the rematch doesn't have her summoning a Castform. This is gonna be too easy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just met Gladion and him just shutting Hua down for being a stepford smiler was good.

i like how gladion's chuunibyou syndrome is so strong even the dorkiest team skull grunts try to razz him

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So uuuh...this thread exploded.

Is there any guide on Festival Plaza? I chose not to put up the Ghost House stand thinking I could switch it out later, but nope. Will it show up again as I keep on leveling?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
First bit of decent luck on Wonder Trade, nothing huge but I got a nice French Mudbray before encountering one proper, so that'll be fun to have around.

Also Mudbray's French name is 'Tiboudet' which is literally just 'tiny mud horse' and that's adorable. I love you tiny mud horse, you are in my team for good.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

my child Rowlet evolved into Miles Edgeworth, this is amazing

so where's Ten Carat Hill at? I want to catch Rockruff before I move on to the next island

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Wow, Charjabug using Acrobatics is one of the more amusing things I've seen today