Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Not even the experts know the origin of my name even though it's at least a few hundred years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Valiantman did you just out yourself as a highlander

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There aren't any saints with my name despite it being all Irish and stuff. My middle name is Roman and there aren't any there either. I can corner this market if I can quick figure out how to be super holy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HopperUK posted:

There aren't any saints with my name despite it being all Irish and stuff. My middle name is Roman and there aren't any there either. I can corner this market if I can quick figure out how to be super holy.
like, literally Roman? that's Romanus, patron saint of music

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

like, literally Roman? that's Romanus, patron saint of music

Nah, I mean, of Roman origin. Lavinia.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
As someone who is named after a pope I would like to say that remarried women and men who live together more uxurio while not having had their previous marriages annulled are, in some circumstances, fit to sit at the Eucharistic table with their brothers and sisters in Christ and partake in Holy Communion *mic drop*

Watch Burke start a fuckin' war.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There is no (recognized) Saint of my name. :shrug:

:smith::hf::smith:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
100% Slavic name with a meaning.

Surname is the result of an archangel's name being jumbled through alphabets and languages.

Translated, it would sound like a bad fanfic OC.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

my dad posted:

Translated, it would sound like a bad fanfic OC.

My full name means "Who is like God? The leader of the people, from the countryside."

I was supposed to grow up to be a dictator, I think.

e: A hick dictator. A hicktator, if you will.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That position is currently filled

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There is no (recognized) Saint of my name. :shrug:

One of my classmates in elementary school was named Shannon, and her parents' pastor objected that there's no St. Shannon. Her grandmother said, "then she'll be the first," which, naturally, got repeated every time a teacher in religion class asked us if we knew what our names meant.

Obviously this means you two need to be the first goons to be canonized. No pressure. :catholic:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

We named our newest babby after a pagan goddess, that's probably breaking a rule somewhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

System Metternich posted:

e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

quote:

The website of the Carthusians posted:
After her solemn profession or perpetual donation, the nun can, if she wishes, receive the Consecration of Virgins. This is a special rite where the Bishop gives the nun not only the veil and ring, external signs of an indissoluble union with the divine Spouse, but also the stole. This confers on the recipient certain liturgical privileges the most significant of them being the proclaiming of the Gospel on certain occasions.
Nah, Consecration of Virgins is a totally different thing. It's an old rite --there used to be consecrated widows, too-- for women to consecrate their lives to the service of the church, and you didn't have to be a monastic to do it. It was revived for non-monastic women in 1970 although whether you, personally, can receive the rite (assuming you meet the qualification) depends on the whims of the bishop in whose diocese you live. I used to follow the blogs of a couple of consecrated virgins.

There are also consecrated hermits; I used to really enjoy (and learn from) Sr. Laurel M. O'Neal, and once got a very kind reply to a question I'd sent her.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
A man can become a consecrated virgin too

It only costs :10bux:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My full name means "Who is like God? The leader of the people, from the countryside."

I was supposed to grow up to be a dictator, I think.

e: A hick dictator. A hicktator, if you will.

You should become a Catholic, fall in love with liberation theology and then marry it to Maoism somehow.

Me, my name might be derived from a Roman god of war (at least, that's what some book I read in elementary school claimed), but I chose my middle name to be of the patron saint of journalists.

The problem with saint naming is that those names sound really strange in every day Lithuanian.

As for peeps discovering my real name, well, I don't hide that much.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Finland's (and consequently Europe's) biggest Christian youth festival is at full steam again. Yesterday's evening mass featured a large youth orchestra playing and singing Baba Yetu during the passing of collection plates buckets.

:toot:

e: The priest specifically thanked them for it before the formal send-off of the congregation at the end.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 19, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

stop posting things that lead to your real names in this thread people, tias i am looking at you

I really don't worry too much about being doxxed, I keep an axe in the house at all times.

HEY GAL posted:

goon project: everyone itt do something cool, but keep it secret

This. Cooldoing is cool, bragging about rarely is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

if you worship jesus as well as your gods, keep in mind that this is exactly what he wants you to do: help others and don't brag about it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

if you worship jesus as well as your gods, keep in mind that this is exactly what he wants you to do: help others and don't brag about it.

I know. I do love to brag, though :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Bragging <3

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

I dunno. I think it's okay to talk about what you're doing so that people know opportunities are out there. Like at my last church we had an ecumenical ministry program (there were a bunch of local Protestant churches participating in it and collecting offerings for it) that created transitional housing for homeless people in the community. We even got a couple grants from the city after we could demonstrate that transitional housing, getting homeless people back to work and getting them on Medicaid, providing rehab expensive or trips to AA/NA meetings if they needed it to get them sober etc. actually saved money for the community as a whole in the long run due to the decreased need to law enforcement involvement (jail-time and court time) and write-offs from the local hospitals due to ER visits from indigent homeless patients.

I mean it's not really bragging but it was a cool thing that we were doing for the community and I enjoyed talking about it, and talking about it at various churches is how we actually got donations to do what we were doing anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I popped into the cathedral just now and the choir were practicing for evensong and it was extraordinarily beautiful. I thought of you lot in this thread. My slow meander back to faith has honestly been assisted by the discourse here and I just wanted to say thank you. So thanks, posters. Thosters.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Phlegmatist posted:

COOL HOMELESS SUPPORT PROJECT

This would be kind of tricky for me because I am the kind of person who loves talking about things I'm excited about, and if I was involved in something like that I would want to talk about it because it is a really cool project. And while I wouldn't be talking about it to talk myself up as a superior person or anything, people might interpret it that way. I guess that's kind of a different issue, but it's an interesting one: anyone know of scripture or other teachings about "other people interpreting you as being boastful"?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

I dunno. I think it's okay to talk about what you're doing so that people know opportunities are out there. Like at my last church we had an ecumenical ministry program (there were a bunch of local Protestant churches participating in it and collecting offerings for it) that created transitional housing for homeless people in the community. We even got a couple grants from the city after we could demonstrate that transitional housing, getting homeless people back to work and getting them on Medicaid, providing rehab expensive or trips to AA/NA meetings if they needed it to get them sober etc. actually saved money for the community as a whole in the long run due to the decreased need to law enforcement involvement (jail-time and court time) and write-offs from the local hospitals due to ER visits from indigent homeless patients.

I mean it's not really bragging but it was a cool thing that we were doing for the community and I enjoyed talking about it, and talking about it at various churches is how we actually got donations to do what we were doing anyway.

Oh no doubt. When I mean I love bragging, I'm talking about talking myself up and blowing up my share of projects, nothing that will actually benefit people.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think there's a difference between being happy about doing something, or happy at being good at it, and bragging. As I see it, the fault is trying to pretend you're more moral than you are, or like the pharisee say "it's a good thing I'm not less good, like those other people".

content:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/19/pope-francis-decries-epidemic-of-animosity-toward-minorities

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

it was a cool thing that we were doing for the community and I enjoyed talking about it

This is one of the things I find difficult about Christianity, and I sort of blogposted about it a while ago, have a translation:

quote:

In my religious education as a kid one question kept coming up: Doing good selflessly is good. But what if you do good while mainly thinking of your own benefit?

After all, a good deed also has many advantages for its agent: Let’s say he gives to the poor — he can feel good, advance his self-esteem, he may be appreciated or even thanked by others and can share the joy of those he helps. But if that is his motivation, can you still call him good? Or is his action just as selfish as keeping his gift to himself?

I used to find this question depressing, now I find it pointless. The giver has the goal of helping suffering beings with his gift. If one of the beings he helps is he himself, all the better!

You can imagine a giver who sees his gift as a pure transaction: He gives a certain amount of his time or belongings, and in return he receives the corresponding amount of pleasure, much as if he was buying a stick of soap. But even this giver has the seed of good within him: He has chosen the joy of giving as his method of self-pleasure, rather than investing his efforts in new bath salts or a cocktail course. So even as he suffers from a wrong view, he continues to plant further seeds of good in himself. And after all, the effect of his gift is independent of what he was thinking. So the use to others is fully present.

After all, even the Bible says „love your neighbor as yourself“. To be able to fulfill this command, first you need to love yourself. And even when you do good it does not hurt: If I help someone and do not feel joy, one person has been helped. If I help him and feel joy, two people have been helped.

But if I skip the helping and keep everything I have for myself, no-one is helped. The one in need has his need unfilled, I develop the wrong view that I’m separate from the others, and sooner or later I’ll lose my gifts either way. That’s the mistake we should avoid, not the possibility of having a wrong goal in mind while walking on the right path.

tl;dr: Feeling good about doing good is better than doing it "selflessly".

That said I really respect all people who work in charity, I sort of try to get into it every now and then and I never find a place to fit in, and then I give up and just throw some euro-bucks at a charitable organization.

pidan fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 20, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

i think there's a difference between being happy about doing something, or happy at being good at it, and bragging. As I see it, the fault is trying to pretend you're more moral than you are, or like the pharisee say "it's a good thing I'm not less good, like those other people".

content:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/19/pope-francis-decries-epidemic-of-animosity-toward-minorities

Did I mention I love judging others, especially in matters of morality? :eng99:

I perfectly understand what I must aspire to, and I will say that on days where I remember to pray not to judge others, I don't. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know my behaviour is wrong, but no matter how hard I try I do worse than the people around me - what has begun to matter to me is that I try, and that every time I do it to others, I make amends.

I can't really excuse it, either, I just think an abnormally lovely growing up has left me fuller of bile than other people - and I believe it can go away with time and effort, so there's no point in being too hard on myself about it.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
fully admitting I didn't read the thread so maybe this has been asked before but is there a TL;DR on how the hell you reconcile the old testament cranky god with new testament hippy jesus or is it all ~a metaphor~ or what have you

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It's pretty normal for someone to mellow out once they settle down and have a kid, you know :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scionix posted:

fully admitting I didn't read the thread so maybe this has been asked before but is there a TL;DR on how the hell you reconcile the old testament cranky god with new testament hippy jesus or is it all ~a metaphor~ or what have you

God didn't change, the culture did. The perception of God and how he's described is what is different between the two testaments.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, if you take the new testament at face value, the old laws made by the angry god is no longer in effect. He might still be angry, though v:shobon:v

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
just fyi implying that the new testament is happy and nice and the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic! the old testament god is a god of liberation, of hospitality, of justice. jews do not worship an angry and mean god. and that's really the bridge between testaments; the bible is full of examples where those who are the underclass, those who are oppressed, are exalted by god. whether it's the eunuch who helped rebuild the temple (i think, as a former catholic i have to admit i never read the bible much so i could be getting that detail wrong) or jesus talking about the least of these, god seeks justice and compassion in all things. what we see as "mean" and "angry" is simply a showing of god's sense of justice

though the whole genocide thing and a lot of stories in the bible are also culturally there to help promote national cohesion and colonialism so it kinda complicates things like exodus but i would still say that justice is important in the old testament. tikkun olam didn't come from nowhere, after all

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Mo Tzu posted:

just fyi implying that the new testament is happy and nice and the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic! the old testament god is a god of liberation, of hospitality, of justice. jews do not worship an angry and mean god. and that's really the bridge between testaments; the bible is full of examples where those who are the underclass, those who are oppressed, are exalted by god. whether it's the eunuch who helped rebuild the temple (i think, as a former catholic i have to admit i never read the bible much so i could be getting that detail wrong) or jesus talking about the least of these, god seeks justice and compassion in all things. what we see as "mean" and "angry" is simply a showing of god's sense of justice

though the whole genocide thing and a lot of stories in the bible are also culturally there to help promote national cohesion and colonialism so it kinda complicates things like exodus but i would still say that justice is important in the old testament. tikkun olam didn't come from nowhere, after all

I don't think implying that the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic. I mean there is the entire fact the thing is a kind of racial-supremacy narrative that, *thank God*, is swept away by the decision to bind the Gentiles to the Jews like the branch of a wild olive tree is joined to a cultivated one. Then again, if looking at the (biblical) actions of Jews regarding non-Jews in the places they're in charge of leaves me with a sour taste, then maybe I'm antisemitic!

I'd also say that there's a big disconnect between Justice and Law in the old testament. The old Testament is a book concerned with laws. These laws aren't terribly just, in and of themselves, and seem (forgive me my audacity here) arbitrary. I'd argue that the New testament, with the Golden Rule, fosters far more Justice than the previous legalistic approach.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ceciltron posted:

I don't think implying that the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic. I mean there is the entire fact the thing is a kind of racial-supremacy narrative that, *thank God*, is swept away by the decision to bind the Gentiles to the Jews like the branch of a wild olive tree is joined to a cultivated one. Then again, if looking at the (biblical) actions of Jews regarding non-Jews in the places they're in charge of leaves me with a sour taste, then maybe I'm antisemitic!

I'd also say that there's a big disconnect between Justice and Law in the old testament. The old Testament is a book concerned with laws. These laws aren't terribly just, in and of themselves, and seem (forgive me my audacity here) arbitrary. I'd argue that the New testament, with the Golden Rule, fosters far more Justice than the previous legalistic approach.

You should read the Talmud, friend.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

God didn't change, the culture did. The perception of God and how he's described is what is different between the two testaments.

Indeed, every contributor to the Bible lived in a specific time and place, their full context lost. To the believer, it has always been one God.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
As I understand it, it's not possible to discuss the morality of abortion in this thread, but what do you make of the pope's comments today? What effect do you think it will have in practice?

quote:

Pope Francis has declared that abortion, which remains a "grave sin" in the eyes of the Catholic Church, can be forgiven by ordinary priests for the foreseeable future — instead of requiring the intervention of a bishop.

The change was implemented on a temporary basis, for one year only, as part of the Catholic Church's "Year of Mercy," which began last December and ended on Sunday.

In a letter released on Monday, the pope announced that the change was being extended indefinitely.

"I wish to restate as firmly as I can that abortion is a grave sin, since it puts an end to an innocent life," the pope wrote in the letter. "In the same way, however, I can and must state that there is no sin that God's mercy cannot reach and wipe away when it finds a repentant heart seeking to be reconciled with the Father. May every priest, therefore, be a guide, support and comfort to penitents on this journey of special reconciliation."

"Because the Roman Catholic Church holds abortion to be such a serious sin, it had long put the matter of granting forgiveness for it in the hands of a bishop, who could either hear the woman's confession himself or delegate that to a priest who was expert in such situations," The Associated Press explains.

In the U.S., Catholic News Service reports, most bishops have routinely granted the faculty to their priests, but the Year of Mercy made the permission universal.

In the letter released Monday, the pope indicated he was extending the ability to absolve abortions "lest any obstacle arise between the request for reconciliation and God's forgiveness."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/21/502852325/pope-francis-grants-all-priests-the-ability-to-forgive-abortions

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Blurred posted:

As I understand it, it's not possible to discuss the morality of abortion in this thread, but what do you make of the pope's comments today? What effect do you think it will have in practice?

Eh, makes sense. Priests can independently forgive most sins including murder, so why not this one?
And as the article notes, in the US and many other countries most bishops had already delegated this power to their priests, so in practice it doesn't make a difference to most people in this thread.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
What in the world do you think "we can't talk about abortion" means? It means we can't talk about abortion, anything about it.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 21, 2016

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

Eh, makes sense. Priests can independently forgive most sins including murder, so why not this one?
And as the article notes, in the US and many other countries most bishops had already delegated this power to their priests, so in practice it doesn't make a difference to most people in this thread.

They've always been able to grant absolution; this just makes priests worldwide permanently able to lift the automatic latae sententiae excommunication, which previously bishops would have to give the priests in the diocese the faculty to do that. Failing that you'd have to get a bishop to lift it. Excommunicated Catholics still have access to the (and only the) Sacrament of Reconciliation, so it's entirely possible to remain in a state of grace while excommunicated.

Between this and Pope Francis allowing remarried couples (in some circumstances) to receive the Eucharist, I think His Holiness just really wants people to be able to participate in the sacramental life of the church with as few impediments as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Blurred posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/21/502852325/pope-francis-grants-all-priests-the-ability-to-forgive-abortions

Faculties for the SSPX extended indefinitely :toot:

• Locked thread