Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Shaggar posted:

threaded chat is retarded and its gonna take a while for them to pull it out.

skype4b is still hellfuck retarded and they never fixed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
teams is way way better than skype 4 b so theres no reason to be using skype 4 b at all.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

what the gently caress is the point of yammer

MS Slack?

The problem is only large organizations with major office politics would buy into it but that inherently causes no one to use it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

clearly what we need is half the company on facebook for work and the other half on Google wave

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
my previous company decided to roll out their own internal version of twitter one day

ofc the only people who used it were in hr

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

I have occasionally answered my phone but lol at voicemail

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Foo posted:

I have occasionally answered my phone but lol at voicemail
half of my coworkers can't remember their voicemail PINs and have had voicemails for months

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elysiume posted:

half of my coworkers can't remember their voicemail PINs and have had voicemails for months

It me

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Bloody posted:

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

when I first started right out of college I had a phone. it did nothing for months. one time it rang and I had forgotten it was there and it scared the poo poo out of me and I didn't find it in time to pick up. then I unplugged it and put it in a drawer and anyway it's been three years and that was a great decision

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

this thread made me check to see if i could turn voicemail off on my phone, turns out i can

thanks thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

threaded chat is retarded and its gonna take a while for them to pull it out.

it is a bad enough idea that i would be unsurprised if they make it optional within a quarter or so. unless of course they have managed to entangle the threading with a bunch of other things

vastly improving your product by removing a feature is a rare pleasure though

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

this thread made me check to see if i could turn voicemail off on my phone, turns out i can

thanks thread

thanks ants

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i get an email with a wav file when i get voice mail. its very needs suiting and you guys should look into it. voicemail pin lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the most needs suiting way of getting a voicemail is for the person to instead send an email that you can read when you're available, skip past the rambling bit, re-read the important stuff without having to scrub back and forwards through an audio clip, and then reply when you might not be able to make a call or they might not be available to take one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
hi, you've reached frozenvent's voicemail

if this is urgent, hang the gently caress up and call my cell

if it's not urgent send me a loving email.

otherwise go gently caress yourself after the beep

beeeeep

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

thants

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Elysiume posted:

can't remember the pin is probably normal around here, but we never miss that we have a voicemail.

because it emails it to us immediately, i think as a wav file. which to be frank is way more convenient than most voicemail systems, because i can just delete it along with all the other spam without having to dial into a drat thing.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

FrozenVent posted:

hi, you've reached frozenvent's voicemail

if this is urgent, hang the gently caress up and call my cell

if it's not urgent send me a loving email.

otherwise go gently caress yourself after the beep

beeeeep

this is in essence what my VM greeting says. problem is, for the old types in the office that need that voice chat capability, they know the key to skip the greeting and go straight to leaving a message, so they never hear it anyway.

because they're impatient, which is ironic as gently caress because this is guaranteed to take longer for me or anyone to get back to them.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iridium posted:

this is in essence what my VM greeting says. problem is, for the old types in the office that need that voice chat capability, they know the key to skip the greeting and go straight to leaving a message, so they never hear it anyway.

because they're impatient, which is ironic as gently caress because this is guaranteed to take longer for me or anyone to get back to them.

second wise day foolish

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my desk phone broke 3 years ago and i never replaced it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my desk phone is older than i am

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
i keep having random peeps notice my desk phone and say "oh we should get you a new one not that piece of junk" and i get a new phone

then a few weeks later that phone is declared to be bad and i get some other kind of phone. It's happened like five times now in the past three months and I am wondering if this is a dumb joke at this point

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Iridium posted:

can't remember the pin is probably normal around here, but we never miss that we have a voicemail.

because it emails it to us immediately, i think as a wav file. which to be frank is way more convenient than most voicemail systems, because i can just delete it along with all the other spam without having to dial into a drat thing.

yeah that's what my last job did (which was the last job i had with a phone on my desk).

"oh hey the red light on my phone is on"

*deletes email*

"cool it's out now"

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
they all are equally poo poo so I don't really care at least

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i left my deskphone # off my business card and removed it from the internal directory so no one will ever call me on it

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

unified messaging/single inbox is cool and good but lol at enterprise voicemail as a whole

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

https://twitter.com/jxxf/status/799663456659992576

h/t to emily blunts for this one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gooby pls posted:

unified messaging/single inbox is cool and good but lol at enterprise voicemail as a whole

the only way to do enterprise voicemail is send a .wav or .mp3 of the VM to your email and never store it on the phone switch ever.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kid's too smart for her own good. reality won't be kind to her

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maximum Leader posted:

i get an email with a wav file when i get voice mail. its very needs suiting and you guys should look into it. voicemail pin lol

I have this option, and don't use it, because I don't want voicemail

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Shaggar posted:

the only way to do enterprise voicemail is send a .wav or .mp3 of the VM to your email and never store it on the phone switch ever.

one one hand this just exacerbates the problem of "e-mail = storage"

on the other, Shaggar is right

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

one one hand this just exacerbates the problem of "e-mail = storage"

on the other, Shaggar is right

a link to the file on a common storage system would be equally good

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
we have people in our org that have 370 gb mailboxes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

didnt know you worked for the state department

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

what the gently caress is the point of yammer

Instead of e-mail, all key user communication in the consortium takes place in a closed yammer group nowadays. Since they didn't bother to loving invite every key user to the group but instead sent everyone an e-mail saying "ask to join the group we're too stupid to just add all of you TIA" i haven't really done any key usering for the past 1½ years :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

some guy did post some videos of a pole dancer on the company yammer tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

some guy did post some videos of a pole dancer on the company yammer tho

that dude owns

• Locked thread