Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

pentyne posted:

She's also clearly going to switch sides at a pivotal moment because its more fun that way.

I'm hoping when that happens, she's totally rejected for being a trolling bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kuroyama posted:

I'm hoping when that happens, she's totally rejected for being a trolling bitch.

This is a weird way of saying "accepted because she owns"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Eej posted:

This is a weird way of saying "accepted because she owns"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm torn w/r/t rindou because when a similar character showed up in mob psycho, mob called him out for being an irresponsible manbaby, but on the other hand rindou's just a high schooler so idk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kuroyama posted:

Soma made it pretty clear where they will stand - you can't blame the bad guys for being bad guys.

Also, the concept of Tadokoro getting an Elite 10 seat is funnier to me than it should be.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 18, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Also, if you don't like Rindou you're probably going to be sad since the author clearly has plans for Rindou. All I'm saying is that Rindou appears more often than almost anyone other than Erina who's in the Elite 10 and the author specifically withheld her ever cooking anything or even being subject to typical Shokugeki fanservice (she ate a dish and unlike everyone else her clothes didn't explode).

She's really popular.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Odds are really good she'll break into the top 10, I'm not sure she's had a bad scene since she showed up.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People like Rindou not only because she's cute but because her personality matches the tone of the Manga like Soma, Alice and Isshiki do. They're all people who are super serious about cooking and then not (seemingly) serious about anything else. They all bounce off people who take everything way too seriously.

That's my take on it anyway

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, if you don't like Rindou you're probably going to be sad since the author clearly has plans for Rindou.

As long as those plans are "be an annoying gadfly with occasional help be 'it's more fun that way', ending with a decisive defeat at Megumi's hands", then I'll probably be happy.

But if she just makes a face-turn because she realizes that Azami will lose and she doesn't want to be with the losers, without some form of "you have dicked us over, don't think we'll just take you in"? Then we may have problems.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Azami is on the wrong side of cooking, so anyone who is down with cooking is going to turn against him. I expect most of the current Elite 10 will, because his whole Central thing is dog poo poo. The 1st Seat guy is about the only one totally on board with the Central idea, and he seems to be only sort of right about cooking to start with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rindou is probably too strong for megumi. she could have competed for the first seat if she wanted to. instead, she will be either souma or erina's opponent.

obviously, takumi is gonna haul out the mezzaluna and compete with the giant knife guy.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rindou is probably too strong for megumi. she could have competed for the first seat if she wanted to. instead, she will be either souma or erina's opponent.

obviously, takumi is gonna haul out the mezzaluna and compete with the giant knife guy.

Not right now, no. But Megumi's final opponent should be Rindou. Megumi's friendly cooking vs. Rindou's "lol whatever, it was fun" would be a good matchup.

Gyges posted:

Azami is on the wrong side of cooking, so anyone who is down with cooking is going to turn against him. I expect most of the current Elite 10 will, because his whole Central thing is dog poo poo. The 1st Seat guy is about the only one totally on board with the Central idea, and he seems to be only sort of right about cooking to start with.

Eizan's also a total elitist prick, despite his entertaining faces. In fact, I'm fairly certain most of the Elite 10 who voted in Azami are also elitist pricks who don't realize how silly his philosophy is from their ivory towers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eizan's a total elitist prick who only sees customers as tools. he is the perfect target for megumi to trample over. i dunno, it is just something i'd like to see. she may end up competing against one of the new members instead, who knows?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The longer this stuff with Central goes on, the more I get the feeling that in the end, Azami is going to pull an all according to keikaku and that his entire goal was to cause a forced evolution of cooking at Tootsuki by becoming the bad guy and that this was all orchestrated ahead of time by buff grandpa, biseinen dad, and Light Yagami or something.

And in the end, everything was manipulated from the beginning by Fumio-san, to "bring about a second rebirth of the Polar Star dorm". =T

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 19, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Now this has to happen. "You call that a knife?"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, that's actually a good way about narratively bringing the mezzaluna back up. Better than my original idea of "Hey Souma, I have finally surpassed you and secured a higher seat, shokugeki me for my knife."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
One of the things I'm curious about now is how they'll make the Elite 10. Will they challenge members to shokugekis for their seats, or is the time to select new members because the third years are stepping down to focus on graduation around the corner, and Soma and the others will focus on getting the requisite numbers to oust Azami and reverse his actions in that selection process?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'd expect Rindou to be a lot like Souma's dad in that she probably has the potential to be first seat if she actually got serious, but lol at getting serious. She seems like she'd also face off against someone like Takumi who's way too serious while. It'd be really appropriate for Megumi to go up against the first seat though given their contrasting styles of service.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd expect Rindou to be a lot like Souma's dad in that she probably has the potential to be first seat if she actually got serious, but lol at getting serious. She seems like she'd also face off against someone like Takumi who's way too serious while. It'd be really appropriate for Megumi to go up against the first seat though given their contrasting styles of service.

I actually like the theory that she's Jouichirou's niece a lot. Jouichirou seems pretty estranged from his family and the money for him to go to Tootsuki had to come from somewhere, after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My only issue with characters like Rindou is that I'm not a big fan of the "playful/whimsical character who doesn't take things seriously but is actually really skilled and randomly helps or hinders the protagonist because they're just so wacky and random" trope, and it's a trope that shows up pretty frequently in manga, especially shounen manga. I don't *dislike* her exactly, but I feel like a lot of her appeal is dependent upon people not being familiar the trope.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
She seems alright so far as a goofy side character, but if this is all she does going forward it's gonna get a bit tiring. Her side chapter was nice, but her main comic appearances seem to indicate we're going to see a more serious encounter soon? Hopefully.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You guys are weird. This manga needs as much Rindou as it can get.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Now this has to happen. "You call that a knife?"

I will sue someone if this doesn't cause Knifey Spoony to ensue.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Chapter's up.

http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/193/3830/1

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Well, this manga never ceases to surprise

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah, ending this fail storyline

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I legit laughed at Soma just asking Rindou for her Elite 10 seat.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

uhhhhh there's probably at least 30 chapters left of battles sooooo

i am looking forward to next spring when evil food dad becomes comic relief food dad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

uhhhhh there's probably at least 30 chapters left of battles sooooo

i am looking forward to next spring when evil food dad becomes comic relief food dad

I really want him to evilly host whatever international food tournament the author has planned after this.

The baggage Azami brought with him is bad but I think Azami can be salvaged as a character really easily.

Really though a lot of stuff happened this chapter, and I think we're going to get some plot bombs dropped soon. I think we're about to learn some stuff about Souma (and probably about his mother, too).

Odds Rindou gets revealed as Souma's cousin in the next 5 chapters?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 24, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really want him to evilly host whatever international food tournament the author has planned after this.

Nah, that'll be the evil american cook Centaurus J Crawford, who will invite them at Shokugeki Kingdom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

A four v. four face off feast for a full on "gently caress you" against Azami's fiendish foibles.

Obviously the Freshmen will win because they could compose a feast that's actually unified and not just four different chefs putting poo poo together.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, that'll be the evil american cook Centaurus J Crawford, who will invite them at Shokugeki Kingdom.

Losers are banished to the McDonald's Realm

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Can we get a palate cleanser after this arc and have the students actually battle against one another again?

Alice/Kurokiba/etc fighting Soma/Megumi/Takumi to challenge their newly gotten Elite 10 seats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Can we get a palate cleanser after this arc and have the students actually battle against one another again?

Alice/Kurokiba/etc fighting Soma/Megumi/Takumi to challenge their newly gotten Elite 10 seats.

The palate cleanser will be Christmas

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, at which point did Souma's dad get JoJo-level hot? :swoon:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I guess it'd be chapter 1? :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

The King is correct. I'm a dude and I was still like drat that is a good looking man.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can't believe Souma's dad is gonna take over as the main character

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Compendium posted:

I can't believe Souma's dad is gonna take over as the main character

Poor Souma, upstaged by his dad on everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade