Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I appreciate the tips, guys. Time to relive the Gundam Seed experience. >_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching Stardust Memory and War in the Pocket again makes me think Chris and Kou should be best pals. Best...complete obliviousness to the awful war crimes their base is involved in pals.

What the hell, those two.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Watching Stardust Memory and War in the Pocket again makes me think Chris and Kou should be best pals. Best...complete obliviousness to the awful war crimes their base is involved in pals.

What the hell, those two.

The Antarctic Treaty was repealed by the Granada Accords, which did NOT limit the use of Nuclear Weapons. Kou's base is not involved in any War Crimes, beyond the perceived crimes of Delaz who like every jumped up Zeon twit thinks the war never ended. I mean, ignoring that there's nothing at all against the Antarctic Treaty about making a suit capable of firing a nuke.

Unless you're referring to the Titans in which case, man that is not Kou's base that's right up the chain of command.

But you did reminds me of the this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djfL4DS155I

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Onmi posted:

The Antarctic Treaty was repealed by the Granada Accords, which did NOT limit the use of Nuclear Weapons. Kou's base is not involved in any War Crimes, beyond the perceived crimes of Delaz who like every jumped up Zeon twit thinks the war never ended. I mean, ignoring that there's nothing at all against the Antarctic Treaty about making a suit capable of firing a nuke.
Huh I didn't know that, I thought nukes were prohibited by treaty all the way through CCA.

Either way he was the only one who was like "Whoa that's where you load the NUCLEAR WARHEADS right? Awesome!" which is pretty weird to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 18, 2016

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
A simple glitch for alpha 3 that will trivialize a good portion of the game if you wish to abuse it.

Infinite EN: When moving a flying unit or any unit in a space map, if you cancel the moving animation with x before the accept/cancel prompt shows it will refund you all the energy you used to travel without actually using any of it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh I didn't know that, I thought nukes were prohibited by treaty all the way through CCA.

Either way he was the only one who was like "Whoa that's where you load the NUCLEAR WARHEADS right? Awesome!" which is pretty weird to me.

To be fair, there's really no reason to ban nuclear warheads in space, where fallout is not exactly an issue and the sun is putting out lots of radiation all the time. On Earth and against colonies, sure, but if you're having a space mobile suit fight a tactical nuke is not really going to cause any particular long-term problems except to soldiers.

Just short-term ones from everything blowing up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 18, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Huh. I always figured it was some bullshit pedantry. Like, the Antarctic Treaty only applied to the Principality of Zeon, not neutral colonies or whatever you'd call the Delaz fleet.

For sure the GP-02 on its own doesn't violate the treaty. As long as it never actually fires a nuke, it's golden.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HitTheTargets posted:

Huh. I always figured it was some bullshit pedantry. Like, the Antarctic Treaty only applied to the Principality of Zeon, not neutral colonies or whatever you'd call the Delaz fleet.

For sure the GP-02 on its own doesn't violate the treaty. As long as it never actually fires a nuke, it's golden.

And indeed there's a GP-02 variant loadout when they don't want to use a nuke that uses a giant beam bazooka (it's modified from the Squire weapon platforms, which you might remember being used in Unicorn as makeshift turrets by Geara Zulus but were originally designed for Zakus in the OYW). That loadout is absolutely 100% not violating anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ryoga posted:

A simple glitch for alpha 3 that will trivialize a good portion of the game if you wish to abuse it.

Infinite EN: When moving a flying unit or any unit in a space map, if you cancel the moving animation with x before the accept/cancel prompt shows it will refund you all the energy you used to travel without actually using any of it.
Geez that would be mind numbing to abuse.

Reminds me of some of those dumb glitches in F/FF. Man those were the days...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Prism posted:

And indeed there's a GP-02 variant loadout when they don't want to use a nuke that uses a giant beam bazooka (it's modified from the Squire weapon platforms, which you might remember being used in Unicorn as makeshift turrets by Geara Zulus but were originally designed for Zakus in the OYW). That loadout is absolutely 100% not violating anything.
Another thing I was never clear on, was that attack that GP02 used that wiped out the fleet the nuke, or that beam bazooka thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another thing I was never clear on, was that attack that GP02 used that wiped out the fleet the nuke, or that beam bazooka thing?

It was a nuke, they just animated it as a beam for reasons.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

That was the nuke, though the way it's animated sure makes it look like it's going to be a beam.

The beam bazooka doesn't actually make a spherical explosion like that, though; it's just a beam cannon in two parts that locks together the same way as the atomic bazooka.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It was a nuke, they just animated it as a beam for reasons.
Yeah, that's what I thought. In a practical sense I wondered if they had figured out a way to detonate the nuke in the barrel and have the explosion all forced out one end and in a way that didn't destroy the GP02 and was like holy poo poo Federation technology is amazing, with inertial dampeners and stuff.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You think that's nuts, some OG mechs like the Grungust run on Nuclear Pulse Generator. Near as I can work out, that's either meaningless technobabble or they use nuclear fuel for loving internal combustion.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

You think that's nuts, some OG mechs like the Grungust run on Nuclear Pulse Generator. Near as I can work out, that's either meaningless technobabble or they use nuclear fuel for loving internal combustion.

We tried it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pulse_propulsion

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excalibur for nuclear powered lasers.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Project Orion doesn't really detonate nukes internally so much as poop nukes that push it forward.

'Guys, you know what will solve mobility problems in space? NUCLEAR BOMBS.'

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Prism posted:

Project Orion doesn't really detonate nukes internally so much as poop nukes that push it forward.

'Guys, you know what will solve mobility problems in space? NUCLEAR BOMBS.'

You could detonate the bombs inside a spherical pressure plate and convert the push to some other form of energy, which is basically nuclear internal combustion. :v:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. In a practical sense I wondered if they had figured out a way to detonate the nuke in the barrel and have the explosion all forced out one end and in a way that didn't destroy the GP02 and was like holy poo poo Federation technology is amazing, with inertial dampeners and stuff.

Would you believe me if I said that the U.S. military considered doing exactly this at one point? It's called the Casaba-Howitzer, if you want to look the thing up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Would you believe me if I said that the U.S. military considered doing exactly this at one point? It's called the Casaba-Howitzer, if you want to look the thing up.

I thought those were disposable (and in fact would have been mounted on a launch system of some sort - booster rockets maybe?), though they were designed to be directional. More or less. Within ten or fifteen degrees, anyhow (which is to be fair a hell of a lot more directional than most nuclear explosions). But it wouldn't be something you could fire while holding without blowing yourself up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 19, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Prism posted:

I thought those were disposable (and in fact would have been mounted on a launch system of some sort - booster rockets maybe?), though they were designed to be directional. More or less. Within ten or fifteen degrees, anyhow (which is to be fair a hell of a lot more directional than most nuclear explosions). But it wouldn't be something you could fire while holding without blowing yourself up.

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nuclear-spear-casaba-howitzer.html

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Thunderbolt really not going to be in G Gen Genesis? Why not, I wonder?

Sell it as DLC later?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sell it as DLC later?

Yup

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'll buy it if it has the music.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

HitTheTargets posted:

Just remember that real life nuclear power plants use the awesome power of splitting the atom to heat water in order to turn the turbines that actually make the electricity.

I can totally see mad scientist Dr. Jonathan Kazahara decide to cut the middle man and make his sons sweet ride just use tiny nuclear explosions to turn the turbines.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Haha holy poo poo, Shinji telling Kira to man up is pretty great. You know you hosed up when Shinji of all people is telling you to stop being such a puss.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Logicblade posted:

Haha holy poo poo, Shinji telling Kira to man up is pretty great. You know you hosed up when Shinji of all people is telling you to stop being such a puss.

Shinji, himself, is also assisted in the manning up by every super robot pilot in the crew. The Mazinger and Getter teams basically instill burning passion in Shinji and he grows a pair pretty fast. It sort of reminds me of some fan idea where Shinji finds a Warhammer 40k lore book reads it and goes "well nothing in this world is as hosed up as 40k. Time to punch me an angel in the name of the God Emperor."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It always seems to be a race to see how quickly in the game they can make Shinji throw away his coward act. I bet in V it's the same stage when he appears, or maybe the next one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I remember that fanfic. It was really terrible, like most fan ideas to "fix" Shinji. Turns out the most consistent way to improve the emotionally hosed teen is to give him a network of friends who encourage and help him, like SRW tends to.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sell it as DLC later?
Thunderbolt, Hathaway's Flash and Advance of Zeta are the confirmed DLC for Genesis.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

It always seems to be a race to see how quickly in the game they can make Shinji throw away his coward act. I bet in V it's the same stage when he appears, or maybe the next one.

While it will probably never happen, I'd love for them to just throw out 3.33 plot and have Shinji's attempt at rescuing Rei at the end of 2.22 succeed without initiating 3rd Impact or getting halted by Kaoru

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Re: Shinji Manning up: I read somewhere some stuff by someone who read like all the Eva sidestory stuff, and there is a ridiculous amount of it, and the conclusion that they came to. The expanded universe stuff is apparently trying to slam on the idea of making Shinji a tough guy, since apparently most of it is based on Kaworu liking the wimpy Shinji from the original, but kinda 'pampering' him by letting him try to be manly, and how that's apparently turning things to poo poo.

Now, most of us in this thread probably know about how Kaworu knows about all the previous times he's appeared in SRW. Apparently this also happens in the official Eva stuff, and poo poo like Rebuild 3.33 and the whole third impact from 2.22 came about because Kaworu wants to let Shinji have a chance to try and be badass. And Kaworu has a lot of power, as in allowing humanity to continue to exist in this multiverse kind of power. And every time Shinji is a badass he's a little less of the Shinji Kaworu cares about, so humanity is eventually doomed because Kaworu is loving around with the one person he cares about.

So even the creators are sick of all those stories where someone essentially just pretends Shinji was Kamina while still calling him Shinji, and the AUs came about because of that.

Granted, this is like third hand info, half remembered from several years ago, so...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't see how Shinji's character can ever work as intended in a SRW context. Either the good guys do their good guy thing and let him in the club, or they aren't good guys and there's no feeling of heroics to the game.

I guess the other way would be to have him be a guest-only character who only occasionally gets to fight with the heroes and never really bonds with them. I'm sure fans wouldn't like that though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We've pretty much already seen Shinji in Setsuko though on how that carries through a series of games recently

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'd kind of like to see them treat the third movie as a thing in a future SRW game, where people treat Shinji the same way they did in the movie, for the same reasons. IE, this guy triggered Third Impact and now he's awake again, holy poo poo guys we really can't afford to trigger this kid by telling him what he did, but we also can't do anything to stimulate him otherwise. Conclusion: Nobody talk to the kid and shun him at every turn, until somebody like Shinn speaks up and goes "But that's stupid!" But I guess for that, the fourth movie would have to exist first, so that the third move can have a real endgame to speak of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

I'd kind of like to see them treat the third movie as a thing in a future SRW game, where people treat Shinji the same way they did in the movie, for the same reasons. IE, this guy triggered Third Impact and now he's awake again, holy poo poo guys we really can't afford to trigger this kid by telling him what he did, but we also can't do anything to stimulate him otherwise. Conclusion: Nobody talk to the kid and shun him at every turn, until somebody like Shinn speaks up and goes "But that's stupid!" But I guess for that, the fourth movie would have to exist first, so that the third move can have a real endgame to speak of.
Having been very pleased with Shin Godzilla I at least think they put off the 4th Eva movie for a good reason.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hokuto posted:

Idea: Getter Armageddon and Eva 2.0 have their conclusions at the same time (instead of Zeruel its Shin Getter?). Come the interrogation scene in 3.0, Shinji's about to mentally tell Rei where he is when KNOCK KNOCK ITS GETTER, and Ryouma's here to bust Shinji out since the last time he saw the kid, he was doing something awesome and his current treatment is bullshit.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, uh totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but in Gundam Breaker 3 how do I actually see what the abilities on various parts do? I got a lucky Sazabi chest drop on like my third mission, and that has two different abilities, but I don't know what the hall they do.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GilliamYaeger posted:

Idea: Getter Armageddon and Eva 2.0 have their conclusions at the same time (instead of Zeruel its Shin Getter?). Come the interrogation scene in 3.0, Shinji's about to mentally tell Rei where he is when KNOCK KNOCK ITS GETTER, and Ryouma's here to bust Shinji out since the last time he saw the kid, he was doing something awesome and his current treatment is bullshit.

Your idea is better, sign me up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ashsaber posted:

So, uh totally unrelated to the topic at hand, but in Gundam Breaker 3 how do I actually see what the abilities on various parts do? I got a lucky Sazabi chest drop on like my third mission, and that has two different abilities, but I don't know what the hall they do.

You look at this.

Seriously, the game will never tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

GilliamYaeger posted:

Watch Ryouma just flat out tell Shinji "hey man, that's not your Rei, your dad just made clones because he's a jerk. But come with me and we'll do badass things, gently caress these guys."

• Locked thread