Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly the worst part about Stone Ocean's ending isn't even the fact that Jolyne gets robbed of her shot at the title chance to kill Pucci herself. It's the fact that her alternate self ends up with loving Anasui. That dude spends the whole manga being a weird selfish creeper, and at no point do I remember Jolyne showing interest in him. It really should have been the far superior Part 6 boy, Weather Report. Or at least FF or Hermes or gently caress, just about anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

Honestly the worst part about Stone Ocean's ending isn't even the fact that Jolyne gets robbed of her shot at the title chance to kill Pucci herself. It's the fact that her alternate self ends up with loving Anasui. That dude spends the whole manga being a weird selfish creeper, and at no point do I remember Jolyne showing interest in him. It really should have been the far superior Part 6 boy, Weather Report. Or at least FF or Hermes or gently caress, just about anyone else.

Irene is not jolyne and her boyfriend isn't anasui

Irene has a good bf and never spent a day of her life in prison

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And annakiss never dismembered his girlfriend

Araki has been experimenting throughout the entire series though with the two themes of "fate is a thing but also fate can be changed or influenced or reinterpreted" and "you can't bring someone back from the dead. Once they are dead, they are dead, except if they're Joseph or Okuyasu, and there's no way to truly bring back the one who is dead. You might find someone resembling them, or some way to bring back a facsimile, but the one who is dead is well and truly gone."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How many pages since the last Anasui roundabout, I wonder...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How many pages since the last Anasui roundabout, I wonder...

In and around the lake/Anasui's come out of the sky and they stand there...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Momomo posted:

Emperio was a stand user though.

So you actually can have two Stands after all? I thought that Joylne just couldn't use Star Platinum and it rocketed out of her head when she checked the disk, I didn't think it was a compatibility thing.

And I thought anyone without a Stand could use the ghost room if they wanted to. But Emporio's the only important person without a Stand to show up in the story regularly. No, Jojo's boyfriend doesn't count.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Condiv posted:

Irene is not jolyne and her boyfriend isn't anasui

Irene has a good bf and never spent a day of her life in prison

While these are well considered points that are actually supported by the plot, I am diametrically opposed to Anasui and all Anasui-derivatives.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

So you actually can have two Stands after all? I thought that Joylne just couldn't use Star Platinum and it rocketed out of her head when she checked the disk, I didn't think it was a compatibility thing.

And I thought anyone without a Stand could use the ghost room if they wanted to. But Emporio's the only important person without a Stand to show up in the story regularly. No, Jojo's boyfriend doesn't count.

A person can have 2 stands, it's just a case where whether it happens or not is based on if araki wants it to happen or not.

Dio had 2 stands from the Jonathan/Dio fusion, Polnareff briefly had 2 stands via Anubis' possession of him, allowing Anubis control over himself, Polnareff, and Polnareff's stand, Echoes is essentially 3 distinct stands that can be swapped between at will, and Killer Queen had multiple distinct abilities that could be classified as sub-stands and had the cast confused for a bit since he had both killer queen AND sheer heart attack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RareAcumen posted:

His stand was called Burning Down The House

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

TGLT posted:

Hey, he really deserved it after that alligator incident.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

emporio had burning down the house. for another example of someone having two stands check out today's episode of jojo's bizarre adventure: diamond is unbreakable on crunchyroll now

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Improbable Lobster posted:

His stand was called Burning Down The House

I could've sworn they said it was his mother's and it stuck around after she died to protect her son, but by the end it's pretty clearly his stand.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Momomo posted:

I could've sworn they said it was his mother's and it stuck around after she died to protect her son, but by the end it's pretty clearly his stand.

IIRC his mom had a similar stand (if not the same stand) and he inherited it at some point.

E:

no they will not posted:

emporio had burning down the house. for another example of someone having two stands check out today's episode of jojo's bizarre adventure: diamond is unbreakable on crunchyroll now

Oh yeah.

And RPS kid too, since he could take other stands and use them as if they were his own.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
There are all sorts of instances of people juggling more than one stand. Of course, you could be forgiven for being confused about this point, since just a few chapters before Emporio gets a second stand, we get this reminder:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Golden Rule of Jojo: The rules mean nothing if Araki can think of a cool scenario.

FirstAidKite posted:

IIRC his mom had a similar stand (if not the same stand) and he inherited it at some point.

Emporio's mom's Stand is Stone Free tho????

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I'm not talking about Stand's that're things that normal people can see. Like, Surface, Strength, Wheel of Fortune and Superfly. I mean poo poo that's invisible because it doesn't have a physical object it's inhabiting like Magician's Red and Tusk.

And I guess I just thought that Burning Down the House was just a weird room that Emporio stumbled across because I don't remember ever thinking that it was actually his Stand. Makes sense how he was storing stuff and pulling the computer out in public though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo, the new version of the OP leaked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1184_mAdDWU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

What am I looking at here?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'd say somebody mapped out where everybody was on July 15th.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

King Superman posted:

There are all sorts of instances of people juggling more than one stand. Of course, you could be forgiven for being confused about this point, since just a few chapters before Emporio gets a second stand, we get this reminder:

god C-MOON's face is just so hosed up. very bad man to look at, bad to see and take in with the eyes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

Emperio was a stand user though, and Lucy was the world's biggest badass by the end of part 7.

Lucy hosed up DIO/WORLD Diego harder than anyone had every hosed a Dio up before. And she's just stone cold about it.

Lucy is rad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish araki didn't rely so much on animal brutality and sexual assault as his go-tos tho.

I mean, it makes sense why he'd do that, he's from a culture that, from my admittedly limited understanding, doesn't treat women all that well and on top of all of that, he's also a big horror movie buff and horror films are absolutely rooted in that kind of shock horror, making the audience scared through threat of sexual violence or punishing sexually active people through violence or hurting animals to show just how bad someone or something is. It's kind of interesting seeing how much of a product araki is of the media he consumes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Araki always reminded me of Hideo Kojima in that sense. Both strongly wearing their influences, that have strong roots in Western media, on their sleeves to create something that whether you like it or not, is really something different from it's peers with a lot of it's creator's weird poo poo thrown in there

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Llab posted:

I'd say somebody mapped out where everybody was on July 15th.

Yeh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, Araki always reminded me of Hideo Kojima in that sense. Both strongly wearing their influences, that have strong roots in Western media, on their sleeves to create something that whether you like it or not, is really something different from it's peers with a lot of it's creator's weird poo poo thrown in there

Araki never had a dude help him who jumped ship before it mysteriously became schlock.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Araki never had a dude help him who jumped ship before it mysteriously became schlock.

Oh boy are we gonna go down the road of self aggrandizing weeaboo translators from the 90s writing think pieces about how they were totally the real genius, guys, please hire them again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tomokazu Fukushima isn't a translator and all signs point to him not being a weeb so no.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can Japanese people be weeaboos?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hideo's work is incredibly consistent so I don't understand the point.

Plus from what I have seen Jojo is pure schlock so it's even weirder a diss.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
If we waste any more money on "weeaboo", we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hideo's work is incredibly consistent so I don't understand the point.

Plus from what I have seen Jojo is pure schlock so it's even weirder a diss.

It has never strayed from said path while pretending otherwise.

Either way, I loving love MGS.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Can Japanese people be weeaboos?

I'm thinking of a different case entirely, where the guy who translated mgs1 back in the 90's did an interview where he basically tried to claim that all the good things about MGS were actually totally his brilliant localization and that the camp in later installments was the result of Kojima refusing to hang out and smoke cigars with this guy, specifically, and take all his advice on realistic storytelling

Note: this guy referred to mgs1 as a "down to earth military thriller" and seemed to be actively avoiding talking about the literal cybernetic ninja who shows up a fifth of the way through

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
down to earth military thriller where a psychic man and a man who transforms from drinking blood are discussed in the preamble

jojo and mgs are extremely good.

i wish araki posted on twitter constantly about what blu-rays he just bought or what food he's eating

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jeremy Blaustein can go suck on a poo

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Moltrey posted:

jojo and mgs are extremely good.
Agreed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did someone just say "Weeaboo?"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
'cause I think I just heard someone say "Weeaboo."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
somebody owes me an effortpost about Stone Ocean and I intend to collect by gum

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Somebody sure is a weeaboo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pierson posted:

somebody owes me an effortpost about Stone Ocean and I intend to collect by gum

More stands should wear sunglasses