Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there's plenty of soil outside of cities to pipe drain water to with concrete pipes :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the one square foot of dirt and cigarette butts with a dead tree sticking out of it is probably adequate drainage for a city yup

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just run all the storm lines right to that one 5'x10' patch of land over there

for drainage

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

10ft trees surrounded by badly manicured bushes are my favourite way to shelter from the elements

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
remove nonfreight rails, add greenspace and drainage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
could we get a bit more hyperbole, i think this page is a bit too subtle.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

blugu64 posted:

:discourse:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

then enjoy waiting 30 minutes in the sleet and rain I guess.

I ride bikes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

rail is already highly permeable

it's a six foot gravel bed for gently caress's sake

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

plz dont quote that alt-shaggar guy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7VYVjR_nwE

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hm yes this soil-scientist-approved infrastructure change that turns useless concrete no one uses into useful drainage land is a joke. yep ok

there actually are real ways to provide rainfall detention and retention, and even help treat some of the nasty urban runoff that you get around roadways - they're called bioswales and they generally look like small runs of ditch (or swale) that're filled w/ various types of marsh-ey grasses and whatnot to slow the overland flow and help filter the runoff too

they do this while the water is on its way to your stormwater system, since having a small slice of permeable ground isn't a good way to put water back into the local water table - you need large large areas to do that (and even then you're gonna get overland or "sheet" flow). i'm a super big fan of permeable pavement for this but you've still gotta have a plan for the water once it hits your subgrade since you can only have so much water absorbed into the local table (and it's not much)

you can also get fancy and embed big plastic tanks underneath that use internal weirs to outfall a whole buncha rainwater slowly while exposing it to your bioswale plants and that's good too. there are even some cool designs that incorporate a tree planter into a more standard street curb drainage inlet (really more like a big catch basin) that still feeds into the stormwater system

but at any rate the name of the game is always always slowing down the water once it hits the ground and a 4-8 foot wide strip of grass w/ trees every 20 feet doesn't significantly impact this.

also the term "watershed" just refers to the area of surface/ground/pavement/grass that drains into a particular place. as in "the ditch in my front yard has a watershed made up of the rest of the yard and the front half of my roof (and half of the road on the other side)". it doesn't have anything to do w/ groundwater absorption

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

, more like spergensbanen

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shaggar posted:

just drive

ybuspos

your city: bus is 20 minutes late, wait no 30, nbd such is life, I hope the bus doesn't literally rape me haha
my city: hyperventilating because display says 1 minute but I see the bus in the distance and it's more like 3

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
transit.app is v. good

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hackbunny posted:

ybuspos

your city: bus is 20 minutes late, wait no 30, nbd such is life, I hope the bus doesn't literally rape me haha
my city: hyperventilating because display says 1 minute but I see the bus in the distance and it's more like 3

moral to the story sounds like buses are unreliable and will never get you to places like interviews on time :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blugu64 posted:

moral to the story sounds like buses are unreliable and will never get you to places like interviews on time :shrug:

only trust your fists

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i took that train from bergen to oslo summer 2015, it owned

there was snow melting in the mountains with all these impromptu waterfalls everywhere

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there actually are real ways to provide rainfall detention and retention, and even help treat some of the nasty urban runoff that you get around roadways - they're called bioswales and they generally look like small runs of ditch (or swale) that're filled w/ various types of marsh-ey grasses and whatnot to slow the overland flow and help filter the runoff too

i know i just wanted to word it in a dumb inflammatory way

quote:

also the term "watershed" just refers to the area of surface/ground/pavement/grass that drains into a particular place. as in "the ditch in my front yard has a watershed made up of the rest of the yard and the front half of my roof (and half of the road on the other side)". it doesn't have anything to do w/ groundwater absorption

while you are technically correct that they aren't directly overlapping issues, i was referring more to how issues like groundwater absorption, water tables, etc., are often studied and measured based on local geography and geology, i.e. in terms of watersheds

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

transit.app is v. good

yeah

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they do this while the water is on its way to your stormwater system, since having a small slice of permeable ground isn't a good way to put water back into the local water table - you need large large areas to do that (and even then you're gonna get overland or "sheet" flow). i'm a super big fan of permeable pavement for this but you've still gotta have a plan for the water once it hits your subgrade since you can only have so much water absorbed into the local table (and it's not much)

you can also get fancy and embed big plastic tanks underneath that use internal weirs to outfall a whole buncha rainwater slowly while exposing it to your bioswale plants and that's good too. there are even some cool designs that incorporate a tree planter into a more standard street curb drainage inlet (really more like a big catch basin) that still feeds into the stormwater system

but at any rate the name of the game is always always slowing down the water once it hits the ground and a 4-8 foot wide strip of grass w/ trees every 20 feet doesn't significantly impact this.

h*ck yeah welcome back hp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hph is a Quality Poster™

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I like that there's a few tens of feet of weeds and trees between me and ~ten lanes of highway

not perfect but whatever - I should probably move or maybe get a window unit air filter, if those exist

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry about you're suburban hellscape

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bloody posted:

sorry about you're suburban hellscape

we have highways right up in our downtown here in MSP

it's nice for reverse commuting but probably really bad for my lungs if the soot I clean off the window sills is any indication

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Munkeymon posted:

it's nice for reverse commuting but probably really bad for my lungs if the soot I clean off the window sills is any indication

I bought one of these "safeguard" window filters a few years ago, that link is to the storefront run by the manufacturer, not sure if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You get a lot less air throughput since it has a filter and baffles, but hopefully with the benefit of cleaner air. The frame of the unit is pretty nice, I was able to stick each side of it into the grooves for the window frame, and the top and bottom of the frame have rubber strips so when you push the window down onto it it creates kind of a seal. Probably works best if you get several of them and set them up in multiple windows, I just bought the one, so with the way it lowers air-flow it didn't work the best. Eventually I just decided to buy a window air-conditioner.

But lucky you, you don't have to keep your windows open anymore because winter is coming has arrived!! :unsmigghh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

blugu64 posted:

fortunately i took the bus to a place i don't need to be in on time, i.e. work

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Munkeymon posted:

solution: don't clean your window sills.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if an ocean isnt your air filter

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I bought one of these "safeguard" window filters a few years ago, that link is to the storefront run by the manufacturer, not sure if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You get a lot less air throughput since it has a filter and baffles, but hopefully with the benefit of cleaner air. The frame of the unit is pretty nice, I was able to stick each side of it into the grooves for the window frame, and the top and bottom of the frame have rubber strips so when you push the window down onto it it creates kind of a seal. Probably works best if you get several of them and set them up in multiple windows, I just bought the one, so with the way it lowers air-flow it didn't work the best. Eventually I just decided to buy a window air-conditioner.

But lucky you, you don't have to keep your windows open anymore because winter is coming has arrived!! :unsmigghh:

I'd die of some combination of sleep deprivation and dehydration during the summer if I didn't have window units, but thanks for the suggestion - it'll work well with the blow-out fan setup I've been using during the third of the year it's cool enough for that

I still have a window open in 'the office' where all my computer poo poo is because it's self-heating, heh

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Highway lane miles per capita (miles per 1k people)

1. Kansas City - 1.262
2. St Louis - 1.070
3. Houston - .822
4. Cleveland - .816
5. Columbus - .779
6. San Antonio - .759
7. Jacksonville - .745
8. Providence - .742
9. Pittsburgh - .731
10. Baltimore - .724
11. DFW - .719

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol forever at texas

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Cities in states with low population densities have lots of highways????

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at the date posted:

Cities in states with low population densities have lots of highways????

it's almost as if those states are bad and build bad cities!!!!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

no one lives in washington state or oregon but seattle and portland somehow manage to be less sprawled out shitholes that texas or lovely midwestern cities ???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i like to imagine that houston and san antonio, the #4 and #7 most populous cities in this great nation, grow like how pancake batter acts when you plop it onto a griddle

the center simply doesn't have the bearing capacity to support its own weight so it spreads out at a nearly uniform thickness in all directions

a much nicer analogy than, say, a malignant tumor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
DFW was two pancakes that were plopped down too closely and welded together

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't have the bearing capacity to support its own weight so it spreads out at a nearly uniform thickness in all directions

much like their residents :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mishaq posted:

no one lives in washington state or oregon but seattle and portland somehow manage to be less sprawled out shitholes that texas or lovely midwestern cities ???

because of mountains

• Locked thread