Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

wow you want to tear down the american flag??

say what you will, but at least that rebellion won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol yeah let's activate people who only vote if u go directly to their house and stroke their balls and tell them they're a good boy. Def not a waste of time and effort

Political ground game: a waste of time and effort

Did you just intentionally ignore the fact that Clinton's campaign had no black outreach, and spent half the money on Hispanic outreach that they did on Correct the Record? The only wasted effort here is the sheer force of will not to learn a single goddamn thing.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Venom Snake posted:

Hillary was a shite candidate that ran a piss poor campaign.

Agreed.

I strongly suspect that the Clinton Machine is now done for, and my past bitches with her are moot. I just worry sometimes that liberals have forgotten what liberalism means.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

She sucks on some things, she rules on most things

But yeah def a justification for not voting for president. I don't give a flying gently caress for whom you vote, but there is no way two candidates are equally bad in equal ways such that you say "gently caress it, I'll let someone else decide for me!" like you can't pick which flavor of ice cream you want so you leave it up to your mom

Hillary is... good? Hmm. *checks recent history* No, it says here Hillary was actually a sack of poo poo in a human costume whose cronyism has rotted out the heart of the Democratic Party. Did you maybe mean Bernie Sanders?

euphronius posted:

If you think Brazille sucks maybe you shouldn't have chased out DWS??

They are both bad, the fact that the DNC replaced DWS with Brazille is what makes reforming the DNC such an important task. They should *both* be chased out, and preferably never have a posting above minor functionary again.

lol yeah let's activate people who only vote if u go directly to their house and stroke their balls and tell them they're a good boy. Def not a waste of time and effort

Did u know that minority turn out in general and Hispanic turn out in particular was also incredibly low? Why are you so racist? Dems need better GOTV at all levels!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

It amazes me that, out of all the things you could be doing with your time and effort, some of you seem fixated on chasing out a person who's going to be leaving in three months anyway.

Every single day counts right now. Brazile was fired from CNN because she committed a massive ethics violation by leaking debate topics to the Clinton campaign. God knows what other forms of corruption she's been involved in. Every day she stays in that drat chair is another day the Democratic establishment can cement their power and reinforce a revisionist narrative of the election.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Not a Step posted:

Hillary is... good? Hmm. *checks recent history* No, it says here Hillary was actually a sack of poo poo in a human costume whose cronyism has rotted out the heart of the Democratic Party. Did you maybe mean Bernie Sanders?

They are both bad, the fact that the DNC replaced DWS with Brazille is what makes reforming the DNC such an important task. They should *both* be chased out, and preferably never have a posting above minor functionary again.

Did u know that minority turn out in general and Hispanic turn out in particular was also incredibly low? Why are you so racist? Dems need better GOTV at all levels!

This all over.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm angry and i want blood, screams internet comedy forum posters

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

logikv9 posted:

i'm angry and i want blood, screams internet comedy forum posters

It's not about blood. I will get over it when she is inevitably allowed to walk away from the situation.

I would, however, prefer to rebuild on solid ground rather than the same sand that destroyed us to begin with.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Also, marginal utility is just a convenient story used to make economics easier. No one actually sits there and thinks 'Hmm, Donald Trump is 95% of a total fucker, but Hillary is only 56% of a total fucker. Logically I should vote for Hillary because she sucks less!'. No, they think 'Trump is a fucker, and Hillary is a fucker. gently caress it I'm not voting for either of them.' Your goal is not to simply be 'less bad' than your opponent. You need to have a strong call to action to get people to come vote for you, and Hillary did not have one. When Hillary was asked policy questions she either had a 30 second policy wonk speech or referred people to her website (remember when we all laughed at O'Malley trying to get people to go to his site? It didn't become less pathetic because it was Hillary). She tried to win by being the least offensive candidate running and thats a real bad strategy.

One take away from this election should be that you absolutely must have a simply stated policy goal, even if that goal is not realistic or pragmatic it still motivates people and tells them what your priorities might look like if you did win uncontested power. 'Universal Healthcare' is a rallying cry people can flock to, even if they know it isn't realistic. 'Hold the status quo while exploring the option of individual (deep blue) states trying a single payer alternative' may be more pragmatic, but no one is going to rally to that.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Every single day counts right now. Brazile was fired from CNN because she committed a massive ethics violation by leaking debate topics to the Clinton campaign. God knows what other forms of corruption she's been involved in. Every day she stays in that drat chair is another day the Democratic establishment can cement their power and reinforce a revisionist narrative of the election.

The idea that the response to a popular backlash against a corrupt Clinton crony was to appoint *another* corrupt Clinton crony basically sums up the entire Clinton DNC and why it needs to be purged with fire.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My step mom is in with local politics and I saw a email she printed about a meeting to discuss moving forward. Seems open to the public. Will probably go.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Not a Step posted:

Also, marginal utility is just a convenient story used to make economics easier. No one actually sits there and thinks 'Hmm, Donald Trump is 95% of a total fucker, but Hillary is only 56% of a total fucker. Logically I should vote for Hillary because she sucks less!'. No, they think 'Trump is a fucker, and Hillary is a fucker. gently caress it I'm not voting for either of them.' Your goal is not to simply be 'less bad' than your opponent. You need to have a strong call to action to get people to come vote for you, and Hillary did not have one. When Hillary was asked policy questions she either had a 30 second policy wonk speech or referred people to her website (remember when we all laughed at O'Malley trying to get people to go to his site? It didn't become less pathetic because it was Hillary). She tried to win by being the least offensive candidate running and thats a real bad strategy.

One take away from this election should be that you absolutely must have a simply stated policy goal, even if that goal is not realistic or pragmatic it still motivates people and tells them what your priorities might look like if you did win uncontested power. 'Universal Healthcare' is a rallying cry people can flock to, even if they know it isn't realistic. 'Hold the status quo while exploring the option of individual (deep blue) states trying a single payer alternative' may be more pragmatic, but no one is going to rally to that.

The idea that the response to a popular backlash against a corrupt Clinton crony was to appoint *another* corrupt Clinton crony basically sums up the entire Clinton DNC and why it needs to be purged with fire.

yeah this is what republicans do and democrats need to stop being nerds

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My step mom is in with local politics and I saw a email she printed about a meeting to discuss moving forward. Seems open to the public. Will probably go.

what state?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you can find one thing that you really like about a candidate, you're not going to give a poo poo about all of the lies that people tell about them to keep you from getting that one cool thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Tsk tsk.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

bump_fn posted:

what state?

PA, Philly suburb

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

PA, Philly suburb

Which one? I'm in the neighborhood.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Every bougie gently caress who owns a staircase should be sent to the archipelago.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What should I know about Roy Cooper? Looks like he beat McCrory.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Which one? I'm in the neighborhood.

Havertown

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^^^
Havertown's a bit far out of town for me, but if your step-mom knows anything about meetings in or just closer to Philly i'd be grateful.

Pineapple Eddie is v good tho and u should go
ha, next time i find myself on the other side of the state from where i live, i will check it out.

thanks for the replies guys, looks like i'm out of luck tho, like literally the only info i could find for the local party was the name of my ward leader, and :laffo: it's the former mayor of Philly, who i think is probably a bit too busy with his other jobs to be attending/organizing local meetings:

-Advisory council member for the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
-Executive fellow at the University of Chicago Urban Labs, which seeks to improve life in cities
-Senior fellow for What Works Cities, a Michael Bloomberg-funded philanthropic program
-Commentator for CNN
-Urban policy professor at Columbia University
-Unpaid member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council, a Department of Homeland Security panel
-Visiting fellow at the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics
-Distinguished fellow on global cities at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, a nonpartisan organization that seeks to provide insight on global issues
-Executive fellow in leadership at Drexel University's LeBow College of Business
-Chairman of Airbnb's mayoral advisory council
-Board member of the City Trusts of Philadelphia

Apraxin has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Nov 19, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Not a Step posted:

You're absolutely right in that it's not a good campaign strategy, but your personal voting strategy should be to pick the best (even if it's the less worse) of the two contenders. Like I said there's no situation where you get to each candidate being 76.42069% of a total fucker and make it a coin toss and even if you get to "each candidate is an equal amount good for me" you could engage one or two empathy neurons and vote for the person who doesn't attack large groups of people at a base level.

And again, totally, "I'm less bad than the other guy" is not a winning strategy for a campaign

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the difference between a "liberal" and a "progressive" exactly?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

And again, totally, "I'm less bad than the other guy" is not a winning strategy for a campaign

I agree with this sentiment. Let's rebuild together. :)

punk rebel ecks posted:

To me, a liberal is tolerant of views not conforming to their own, for one.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Nov 19, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

punk rebel ecks posted:

either semantics or a loud and boring argument

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

If you think Brazille sucks maybe you shouldn't have chased out DWS??

drat. A Brutal owning.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

good sweet lol u didn't vote for Hillary because she threatened your video games twenty years ago

would u have voted for trump if he had promised to eliminate diaper tax and broccoli?

Being against the first amendment should be a huge red flag.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did anyone post this good article
https://twitter.com/shelbyfero/status/799800085617876992

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

imagine the most pedantic and masturbatory response possible and thats probably close to what many people will give you

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

Not to nitpick but the person who orchestrated the attacks did admit to being motivated by the video and I think it should be banned.

What the gently caress?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

For example, this is illiberalism in action at a liberal college.

I strongly suspect that liberalism is a philosophy, while progressivism is an agenda, and I strongly state that I mean nothing negative by the word agenda.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

wow you want to tear down the american flag??

yes

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hail Satan.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just saw The Young Turks get invaded by Alex Jones at the RNC. I...I didn't know who "won" or was in the wrong...

eonwe posted:

imagine the most pedantic and masturbatory response possible and thats probably close to what many people will give you

Hmm....

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Sorry. I was overcome.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

You're absolutely right in that it's not a good campaign strategy, but your personal voting strategy should be to pick the best (even if it's the less worse) of the two contenders. Like I said there's no situation where you get to each candidate being 76.42069% of a total fucker and make it a coin toss and even if you get to "each candidate is an equal amount good for me" you could engage one or two empathy neurons and vote for the person who doesn't attack large groups of people at a base level.

Yeah, you missed the part where no real human being ever calculates out how much they hate each candidate and goes with the one they hate less. People have broad categories. If Clinton is a fucker and Trump is a fucker they both get thrown in the fucker box and the fine details don't matter and you vote for neither.

E: Misread your response on this one. But the point that people have very broad categories instead of doing rational utility maximization and voting for the lesser of two evils still stands. If its between two evils people just don't show up. Utility maximization is a fairy tale used in the same manner as 'consider a point mass with negligible air friction' is in physics.

Also most people are more concerned with their own personal problems than those of people they have never met. If your town is dying, the jobs left a long time ago and half your extended family is hooked on opiates the fact that some Hispanic kid somewhere might get deported under Trump does not really signify. And vice versa. The kid in danger of deportation probably does not give even the slightest poo poo about some Rust Belt no-hoper.

You have to get over this idea that there is some underlying unity you can appeal to where if you promise to help Group A then Group B will look upon your works and applaud, even if you're currently taking a steaming poo poo on Group B. Everybody wants someone who will listen to *them*. That said, I don't think its necessary to listen to one group exclusively to gain their trust. You can listen to many groups at once and work with many at once to build a coalition. You can represent minorities *and* the white working class AT THE SAME TIME. Its not exclusive. The working class has way more concerns than 'gently caress brown people', its just 'gently caress brown people' is the only consolation prize they ever seem to get and misery loves company.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Nov 19, 2016

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

lol, I live in a lovely bubble filled with working class folk who take little interest in politics, let alone international politics. When they freaked about Trump I tried to tell them that we were merely following the example of Europe by electing our own Berlusconi or Sarkozy. I am rarely invited to parties.

Thank god for Plus One's.

E: I chop vegetables and weigh meat for a living.

E2: After reading the first couple paragraphs...thanks for this. I feel validated for a lot of poo poo that I felt was unsavory that I've said to the people around me. (Stop blocking I-80. Save your energy for the real fight to come.)

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Nov 19, 2016

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

MrCussMustard posted:

lol, I live in a lovely bubble filled with working class folk who take little interest in politics, let alone international politics. When they freaked about Trump I tried to tell them that we were merely following the example of Europe by electing our own Berlusconi or Sarkozy. I am rarely invited to parties.

Thank god for Plus One's.

Marry someone who understands your international political parallels so you can have discussions about who will lead America's future Five Star Party in the privacy of your home instead of feeling like a geek rear end nerd in public.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Not a Step posted:

Marry someone who understands your international political parallels so you can have discussions about who will lead America's future Five Star Party in the privacy of your home instead of feeling like a geek rear end nerd in public.

I preach it in public whether they like it or not. There is no point in preaching at home (which I do), unless I intend to usurp MY GIRLFRIEND's right to self determination (which I do not).

E: Just looked it up. :eyepop: @ Five Star. I will deliver my full review later, if at all.

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Nov 19, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

How? She didn't want to ban any kind of video games, she just wanted to enforce the esrb. Her policies are already de facto in place and somehow nobody has claimed the death of the first amendment

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Powercrazy posted:

bad videogames should be banned (from steam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

logikv9 posted:

bad videogames should be banned (from steam)

• Locked thread