Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay I'm kind of enjoying Templar because I can basically tell the common pool skills to all gently caress off. Tough finding a balance between being able to solo like a breeze and keep leveling up skills like the guide says while also needing to keep a bunch of healing spells to keep my hapless companions alive in dungeons.

Next up I'll try tanking! Shame there's no true dual-spec system like WoW and Rift etc have. I assume it's wholly unnecessary at end game but man it'd be helpful right now!

Oh and since it's obvious I'll be playing this a bit, can I get an invite to the Goon guild? Name is @rohypnotist

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Is there any way to play an Orc or a cat person in the ebonheart pack? Do I need some DLC or something?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any way to play an Orc or a cat person in the ebonheart pack? Do I need some DLC or something?

You need the Explorer Pack, which you can buy a key for off G2A for the low low price of 89 cents or some such bullshit

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Next up I'll try tanking! Shame there's no true dual-spec system like WoW and Rift etc have. I assume it's wholly unnecessary at end game but man it'd be helpful right now!

There are mods that allow you to change the entire skill bar and the gear you're wearing with only a few clicks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bradybunch posted:

There are mods that allow you to change the entire skill bar and the gear you're wearing with only a few clicks

It's less a matter of logistics and more a matter of I simply do not have enough skill points yet to do both, but we all love the instances

What's going to happen is I'm going to have a heart to heart with them that involves them either taking more defensive passives or whatever or, :shudder:, PUGing 1-2 more people so fights are quicker

I've been meaning to install the mods but I am profoundly lazy

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Download Minion, it's so good for installing mods and keeping them updated.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So I'm messing around with this game while there's a free weekend, see how I feel about. I rolled a Khajiit Dragonknight on a whim, just hitting things with a sword and such. Seems to be working ok, but what tips would you all give for that race + class combo?

I understand that most builds are either Magicka or Stamina based, and I went with Stamina since Khajiit seems to have some synergy with that. But all the DK skills themselves seem to be magicka based?

I get that I probably don't need to minmax while I'm like level 10 or whatever, but I wanna get a feel for later game stuff while I'm learning the character. So what should I be looking at, build wise?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Attestant posted:

So I'm messing around with this game while there's a free weekend, see how I feel about. I rolled a Khajiit Dragonknight on a whim, just hitting things with a sword and such. Seems to be working ok, but what tips would you all give for that race + class combo?

I understand that most builds are either Magicka or Stamina based, and I went with Stamina since Khajiit seems to have some synergy with that. But all the DK skills themselves seem to be magicka based?

I get that I probably don't need to minmax while I'm like level 10 or whatever, but I wanna get a feel for later game stuff while I'm learning the character. So what should I be looking at, build wise?

A few of the DK skills can be turned into Stamina-based skills when you level them up to rank IV and unlock the morph options for them. Off the top of my head I remember Fiery Claw and Burning Breath are some of the ones you can morph into Stamina based skills (Venomous Claw, and Noxious Breath, respectively).

The majority of stamina setups use class skills for utility and rely on weapon skills to do the bulk of their damage.

Except Templars, Biting Jabs all day for them.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

are the servers dead? i'm just getting a connection timeout on trying to start the game.

e: working now

can i get an invite? @alteredmoniker

baram. fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 19, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Thieves' Guild is so neat but that RNG never gives me Countess' order on timely order. Maybe-spoilery DB question: How involved are Morag Tong, because apparently Naryu and Raz make appearances. If they are, can I help those sanctioned killers in any capacity?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

More evidence that the Werewolf Lord poly looks bomb rear end on an Argonian:

Tail is extra girthy too.

"King of the Koopas, thank you very much."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That looks real dope Aramek. Unfortunately looks like I missed it by about a week otherwise I would have picked it up.

That said I'm really enjoying the new Abah's turbans. Trying real hard to resist the temptation to just throw one on each of my characters.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
looking for an invite @Halfpipe

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So are super invisible Nightblade criminals a thing? Are there any benefits to being a criminal? (ie: is stealable loot actually worth while, etc?)

It sounds fun in theory, but I wonder if it's even worth doing?

Note: Never played the game and only have 15 hours total in TES games.

Downloading game as we speak for free weekend.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Zaekkor posted:

So are super invisible Nightblade criminals a thing? Are there any benefits to being a criminal? (ie: is stealable loot actually worth while, etc?)

Every character is going to be stealing anything not nailed down. Legerdemain is the thief skill line and it is on every class. You can lockpick chests, pickpocket dumb npcs, and just plain old steal poo poo that is lying around.

I don't think its a very good source of income at high levels ( though I don't actually know) its very helpful to a new character and pretty fun too.

And yeah nighblades can be invisible and in PVP will just pop out of nowhere and ambush lone players.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so the Khajiit are just as dorky and chill and deliciously sarcastic as they are in the main ES games. I love the Dominion just for these dudes. :allears:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, so the Khajiit are just as dorky and chill and deliciously sarcastic as they are in the main ES games. I love the Dominion just for these dudes. :allears:

I appreciate that they don't seem to give a good goddamn whatever I choose to do and that is a breath of fresh air

Shame about the high elves

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
High elves have always weirded me out a little. Their foreheads and other proportions make me feel uncomfortable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaekkor posted:

The nightblade invisibility skill is nice for the Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood dailies, but it doesn't make a super huge difference. My DK is better at them than my NB since he has medium armor and stamina as opposed to my NB's heavy armor and magicka. It seems like the Khajit racial would make a bigger difference.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Ghetto Prince posted:

looking for an invite @Halfpipe

Says account not found.. Sure you got it right?

VVV: That's cheating

valuum fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

valuum posted:

Says account not found.. Sure you got it right?

I got him last night you goon.

E: Anyway Templar healing setup comin soon so get ready.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 19, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

This is how I get ready:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgymXNmEzjk

coin laundry
Feb 15, 2009
Could I get an invite? @NuclearDan

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I be using charged attacks constantly or is it more use them when sneaking/the target is stunned?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Just came back to this game on PS4.. How do I make money? Are the random purps I get worth anything or is it best to break them down and sell the parts?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(edit): nevermind, I think I fell in love with Magicka Nightblade instead

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 19, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Blast of Confetti posted:

Should I be using charged attacks constantly or is it more use them when sneaking/the target is stunned?

Heavy attacks restore resources, but light/heavy attacks are not your main source of DPS, typically you're weaving them with your abilities, you'll want to learn how to animation cancel (cuts off an animations ability early, thereby finishing it earlier and you instantly do a light attack or charge into a heavy), and you'll basically be doing skill - light attack - skill - light attack etc. This is a simplification because that's not ALWAYS the optimal way of doing things.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've never stolen anything and I have a mod that specifically doesn't allow me to.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
What the hell, I'm playing this again. Can I get an invite? @tierhawg

Its been a few years since I've played so I'm starting a newb Templar for Ebonheart. Already have a Orc Templar at lvl 50, but since he's the wrong the faction he can be my crafting bitch now.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Got the gold edition.

Should I save my 500 free funbucks or get something like the starter pack?

How crucial is leveling crafting skills? Never been a huge fan of that in MMOs.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any major differences between S'rendarr and BuffTracker?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Okay, I'm digging this One Tamriel thing. I'm treating it like I would a real Elder Scrolls game -- I blew off everything it wanted me to do ASAP and wandered off to find the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Good times so far.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I personally recommend investing in at least one armor and weapon crafting skill, depending on your build. If you can't be bothered to hunt down a crafter for one of the more advanced sets like Night Mother's Gaze, it's oh so convenient to craft it yourself.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bruteman posted:

Got the gold edition.

Should I save my 500 free funbucks or get something like the starter pack?

How crucial is leveling crafting skills? Never been a huge fan of that in MMOs.

The bonuses from sets mean found weapons and armor are always better than crafted, until whatever point that's no longer the case (I'm certainly not there yet). Enchanting (and maybe provisioning) is the only craft that is honestly useful early on, and I recommend working on at least that.

I put my 500 funbucks toward the adventurer pack, but since One Tamriel hit I don't know that being able to choose any race with any faction matters at all outside of PVP. Having a mount gives you another means of expanding your inventory space, and the guar pet you get from it makes less obnoxious sounds than the Thieves' Guild jackal or the horrid thing you get from Orsinium.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
Welp. Trying the free weekend. Could I get a guild invite @Pyraen?

Thanks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why isn't there an Anti-Murder guild? Everyone's just killing every NPC and it's fuckin' weird.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Why isn't there an Anti-Murder guild? Everyone's just killing every NPC and it's fuckin' weird.

Talkin bout player-justice? Firor, Lambert, and Wrobel scrapped that part of the Justice System because they're too up their own rear end about "not letting smart people outplay everyone else"

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Scyantific posted:

Talkin bout player-justice? Firor, Lambert, and Wrobel scrapped that part of the Justice System because they're too up their own rear end about "not letting smart people outplay everyone else"

I think it's more that there's a very particular type of person who like player delivered justice, and they're not the type of person that can sustain a game profitably.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

I'm talkin' about how absolutely weird it is to see just non-stop rampant murder in a town and not be able to do anything about it or even have to worry about doing anything about it. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I have no idea why this game has such a dogshit reputation, since it's so fun and easy to jump into. The game makes it really convenient and scales everything to your group level.

We grabbed some fellow stupid newbs tonight and ,with no tank and a level 7 healer fresh out of the newbie island , we hit the first dungeon, freed the goblins and murdered the crab king in like 20 minutes.
We were even able to trade dungeon loot so everyone got stuff they could actually use.

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm planning to put together a stupid newbie raid tomorrow to check out the under level 50 pvp.