Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

thechosenone posted:

Something makes me feel like this is sarcastic. If I am correct, then I am sorry that you had to go through that.

Symphogear is a very good, fun show with more than one adorable pair of lesbians who the show quite literally sings to the heavens as being in love, but do not kiss. They do just about everything else, though. Take from that what you will.

Although that has more seasons in the pipes, so there's still time!

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

thechosenone posted:

Something makes me feel like this is sarcastic.

it's not, i'm giving you an actual recommendation for a show that is three seasons in and has had multiple scenes where characters sing about how much they love each other and a main pair who sleep in the same bed holding hands

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it's not, i'm giving you an actual recommendation for a show that is three seasons in and has had multiple scenes where characters sing about how much they love each other and a main pair who sleep in the same bed holding hands

Ah, well that's good. Is there a site where I can make a watch list? That might be helpful to remind me. Currently going mad getting into kingdom hearts again and there is also diablo 2 eastern sun which has just got its goonserver back up, so between those and final assignments and finals coming up I'm gonna be swamped.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I need to catch up on Symphogear since it's my favourite subgenre of Magical Girl anime; which is the more militarized combat oriented with mecha tropes like Nanoha which I ALSO need to catch up on geez.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

think there are intentional homages to eternal sunshine of the spotless mind here. trying to repair senpai's memory. cocona looking for papika having lost her but seeing her everywhere, thematically, and then cocona literally getting on a train by herself and going to sit at the waterfront and worry she can never find her way back to her old life

and then the scenery disintegrating around her

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its been a long time since i've seen eternal sunshine but the train scene immediately evoked it. how does the deconstructing memoryhouse get resolved in that movie, is that when he comes out of the erasing memories and returns to the present with present kate winslet because this ep hews closely if so!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, if you're looking for P&C (or P&Y, if the show does the lovely predictable thing and has Papika be Cocona's Persona and disappear at the end) to kiss I'm not sure it's going to happen just because of how this show eschews traditional narrative structure and relies on subtext in general. But, uh, I think the point at which Cocona literally considers banging an imagined, idealized version of Papika is the point at which the show has made its intentions explicit enough for any halfway reasonable viewer.

I'm not even sure she stopped at considering. That last scene with 'em both in negligees felt pretty post-coital.

And yeah, there were a lot of hints at The Gay in the early episodes, from Yayaka's behaviour around Cocona to the repeated almost-kisses and Papika's literal, repeated declarations of love (and more abstract stuff, like 'the tunnel only opens up if we feel the same way!' and how the hints that Pure Illusion was shaped by the human subconscious made the bit where Cocona encountered an evil lesbian bondage demon in the episode where she was angry at Papika extremely suspect). Hell, they even had a shot of Cocona discovering Papika surrounded by tribadism puns in Episode 4. It was just Episode 5 where it became explicit and undeniable (even if I did see a few reads of 'no, no, it was just Pure Illusion making them act gay' because Internet).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
so can someone experienced in lesbian manicuring tell me why sayuri got upset and scrubbed papika's nails last week when she learned they were oil-based

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Space Flower posted:

so can someone experienced in lesbian manicuring tell me why sayuri got upset and scrubbed papika's nails last week when she learned they were oil-based

I understood it as, she had used artist's oil paint, and not actual nail polish.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Space Flower posted:

big oil is the enemy of lesbians

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Something that hasn't been brought up here but was discussed over at the anime subreddit is the idea that Iro hasn't been harmed by what they did, she's just changed.

Which was also a motif of this episode with the other Papikas. One of them outright says that change isn't a bad thing.

Iro painted because of her aunt. It was partly a coping mechanism. Now she's out socializing more and generally more upbeat. Only Cocona seems to consider this a bad thing because to her it feels like a piece of Iro is missing.

Cocona views the world in a way that everyone stands out with particular talents. Iro has no interest in the one that defined her in Cocona's eyes so the latter sees her as incomplete.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not even sure she stopped at considering. That last scene with 'em both in negligees felt pretty post-coital.

I thought so too at first, but on the rewatch that would be pretty weird editing. The sequence of events goes from them slouching on the bed in their school uniforms and talking, cut to Cocona peeking out the window in her slinky dress, to both of them on the bed, still mostly clothed and Papina suggests that they do something fun and forget about their troubles. Cocona thinks that sounds fun, but that it's more important that she find Papika. Papina vanishes, disappointed and bored. Suggests to me that nothing happened, even if Cocona kind of wanted it to.

Mokinokaro posted:

Something that hasn't been brought up here but was discussed over at the anime subreddit is the idea that Sayuri hasn't been harmed by what they did, she's just changed.

Which was also a motif of this episode with the other Papikas. One of them outright says that change isn't a bad thing.

Sayuri painted because of her aunt. It was partly a coping mechanism. Now she's out socializing more and generally more upbeat. Only Cocona seems to consider this a bad thing because to her it feels like a piece of Sayuri is missing.

Cocona views the world in a way that everyone stands out with particular talents. Sayuri has no interest in the one that defined her in Cocona's eyes so the latter sees her as incomplete.

You mean Iro - Sayuri's the support lady back at FlipFlap. But yeah, Cocona clearly views Iro stopping painting as problem that needs to be fixed when it really isn't, since Iro's painting only ever came from a pretty unhappy place.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/XlRHGPOxhgGhbNc/status/799990499092271104

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bike punk papika was my absolute favorite

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/800153074799149056

They literally cut to this shot seconds after I thought to myself "man this episode is Eva as gently caress."

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The Colonel posted:

holding hands

gross

fairlight
May 18, 2007

e: nvm

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Speaking of Eva as gently caress...

I guess we just got some solid hints as to who the robot's brain belonged to, and their connection with Hidaka?

I guess it's not a surprise that (for good and for ill) this was the most indulgent episode yet.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 24, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this episode was amazing and yayaka is confirmed for best tsundere

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cocona's face when Papika called her Mimi... :ohdear:

Also, I'd bet quite a bit that blue-pigtailed girl hiding in the robot ranks in the OP and from the preview for next ep is going to be called Mimi.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 24, 2016

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
In case you missed the quarter second of the OP that pigtails was in.

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Upon rewatching the OP noticed this:

Wonder who that girl is.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I have to respect this show's commitment to just doing whatever the hell it wants.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I have to respect this show's commitment to just doing whatever the hell it wants.

I will say, the whole episode felt like a bit of a trap for the stinger at the end. You're coming off of the Mimi line at the end of the last episode, probably worrying about what it means for P&C...and then the episode doesn't acknowledge it at all, and you get fun robot times with P&C being as openly affectionate as they've ever been and even Yayaka gets in on the flirting and whee this is fun! And only after 20 minutes of that do they hit you with the stinger and reveal that the Mimi business is going to be just about as bad for P&C's relationship as it could possibly be.

Also, I feel like the stinger pretty definitively shoots down the theory that Papika is just a facet of Cocona. Would make very little sense for Papika to forget who Cocona is, in that case - to say nothing of how explicitly romantic their relationship has gotten.

Also also, I feel like the stinger is setting up some deliberate parallels to Iro and Granny. What with a loved one forgetting who you are and all. Hope Cocona remembers how they fixed that problem sooner rather than later.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of giant robot camp, but I can respect that the show's trying for doing a little bit of everything.

Still prefer when it's going for the more outlandish settings and relying less on genre staples though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i respect the dedication of writing separate robot transforming music, with vocals.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, figured out what this PI world meant - just as the Class S episode was our look inside Yayaka's head, this one was Dr. Hidaka's time to shine. We already had some evidence that Bu-chan was some sort of remote avatar for him, and guess who fell through the portal first? Obviously, Cocona was filtering it through her memories of Iro, but I think that Hidaka being the main influence is a reasonable guess. That does tell us his motive in all this - he's an artist, and signed on with Salt for the aesthetic value of what he's trying to do.

Actually, I wonder if the specific mechanics were the reason for the size thing - Bu-chan's Pure Illusion avatar was a smaller version of Hidaka.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, I wonder if the specific mechanics were the reason for the size thing - Bu-chan's Pure Illusion avatar was a smaller version of Hidaka.

Oh my god I didn't catch this. This PI makes way more sense now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh my god I didn't catch this. This PI makes way more sense now.

I also wonder if that might be the reason for it being even more gazey than is usual for the show (that cockpit rear end shot...) - we already know that Bu/Hidaka is a big ol' perv.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there's no evidence that it's not more abstract with that, especially considering how the PI reflects and influences sayuri and hidaka's relationship. There's interesting details like how she's annoyed with hidaka and how cramped his lab is, and then in the PI papilka/cocona are too big for the tiny lab. she also uses different honorifics for him before and after the latest PI

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

there's no evidence that it's not more abstract with that, especially considering how the PI reflects and influences sayuri and hidaka's relationship. There's interesting details like how she's annoyed with hidaka and how cramped his lab is, and then in the PI papilka/cocona are too big for the tiny lab. she also uses different honorifics for him before and after the latest PI

They're mission control. If they have footage of what's going on, then she might have learned some interesting things about her co-worker.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, figured out what this PI world meant - just as the Class S episode was our look inside Yayaka's head, this one was Dr. Hidaka's time to shine. We already had some evidence that Bu-chan was some sort of remote avatar for him, and guess who fell through the portal first? Obviously, Cocona was filtering it through her memories of Iro, but I think that Hidaka being the main influence is a reasonable guess. That does tell us his motive in all this - he's an artist, and signed on with Salt for the aesthetic value of what he's trying to do.

People have said this elsewhere as well but I don't really think so. Like I said earlier, I think this really means that Bu-chan is/was someone connected to Hidaka. This PI is really about losing one's humanity/being stuffed into a robot to save someone precious to you, and what one is willing to lose or not when one survives. What we see as Pops is a diminished representation of who Bu-chan was, and what we see outside of PI is both evidence that this person built the Flip Flapper base, and that Hidaka built themselves on their image. But the core fixation of this PI, the birds assaulting this city-sized brain that is a symbol of their intellect... That's someone else's.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Flip Flappers: Blood Dragon

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

surprised there hasnt been more discussion of papikas role in flipflapco. i mean shes like hunting amorphouses for them despite knowing nothing about them or the goal and she's got an ankle monitor on. pretty sinister! also wasnt their goal to merge pure illusion and the real world that seems pretty apocalyptic. i dunno hidaka and tea girl seem pretty decent but salt def seems capable of enslaving a magical girl to do amorphous spelunking

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0az4FRhagk

:ohdear:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
8 and 9 were broadcast at an event a week back and elevens were saying things like "i feel like i watched the incarnation of yuri," and "yayaka's our girl!"

so i'm excited. hopefully yayaka finally embraces her flip flapping

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats elevens mean

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats elevens mean

Japanese people. It's a Code Geass reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/804146190904332288

• Locked thread