Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly Green Room is probably the best movie I watched all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've never seen Top Gear before but The Grand Tour is literally like 'hey what if we did Forza Horizon 3 IRL'

It's also very weird how they sweetened up the crowd response. It sounds more like an infomercial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It felt like the old Top Gear but with 100x the budget. The opening sequence is rumored to have cost over 2 million bucks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

Honestly Green Room is probably the best movie I watched all year.

Someone hasn't seen Belgica

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Blaxpoitation Streaming Service @ $4 a month
http://www.brownsugar.com/

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/blaxploitation-movies-streaming-brown-sugar-1201920554/ posted:

African-American network Bounce TV is jumping into the subscription VOD biz with Brown Sugar, a $3.99-per-month service with mostly ’70s-era blaxploitation films including “Shaft,” “Foxy Brown,” “Super Fly,” “Cleopatra Jones,” “Blacula” and “The Mack.”

At launch, Brown Sugar has 111 movie titles. A rep said several hundred additional titles, for which the company has already obtained streaming rights from studios, will be added in the months ahead.
Brown Sugar is available for smartphones and tablets in Apple’s iTunes App Store and the Google Play Store and on the web at brownsugar.com. The service offers a one-month free trial period for subscribers with a retail price of $3.99 per month thereafter.

Brown Sugar groups films into themed collections such as War in Harlem (“Cotton Comes to Harlem,” “The Black Godfather,” “Across 110th Street”), Foxy Mamas (“Foxy Brown,” “Coffy,” “Cleopatra Jones,” “Friday Foster,” “Sheba Baby”), Righteous Revenge (“Dolemite,” “Black Caesar,” “Hell Up in Harlem,” “Hammer”), Stickin’ it to The Man (“The Mack,” “Black Gunn,” “Three the Hard Way”) and Jive-rear end Turkeys (“I’m Gonna Git You Sucka,” “Car Wash,” “Uptown Saturday Night”).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Any word on the video quality of this before I give them my credit card number? As a white millennial dipshit I do love Blaxploitation but the vast majority of what's out there seems to be VHS quality and even at $4 a month that ain't worth paying for.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You had me at Foxxy Brown!

Pam Grier :pervert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Any word on the video quality of this before I give them my credit card number? As a white millennial dipshit I do love Blaxploitation but the vast majority of what's out there seems to be VHS quality and even at $4 a month that ain't worth paying for.

There's a free month trial as every streaming service is apparently obligated to engage in

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Call Me Charlie posted:

I've never seen Top Gear before but The Grand Tour is literally like 'hey what if we did Forza Horizon 3 IRL'

It's also very weird how they sweetened up the crowd response. It sounds more like an infomercial.

The worst parts about the episode were Mike Skinner (the American test driver), the lack of celebrity track runs, the faked audience fight, and the irritating digital lap board. The Eboladrome is a bit boring as well. Skinner was the worst, though. Both their stupid characterization of him as well as his idiotic dialogue while driving. I don't want to watch someone drive around a track and act bored or dismissive about it; get someone who looks like they're having fun, or just go back to a mute, faceless tamed race driver.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

oh come on now, that's a pretty extreme stance

It's a bit nutty.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a streaming device where amazon prime doesn't have a terrible interface? I watch it through my blu player now, and it's so clunky and hard to navigate that it's making me not want to watch it. If I get a set-top box like a roku or a fire, will it be easier to navigate p, or is that just what prime looks like?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Does Amazon cycle its content more than Netflix? This is completely anecdotal, but it seems as though movies on Amazon move between Prime and not-Prime on fairly short intervals. I'll add a movie to my watchlist, have it leave prime, and then see it available again a few months later.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a streaming device where amazon prime doesn't have a terrible interface? I watch it through my blu player now, and it's so clunky and hard to navigate that it's making me not want to watch it. If I get a set-top box like a roku or a fire, will it be easier to navigate p, or is that just what prime looks like?

It's terrible on 360/ps3/ps4 and PC too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a streaming service that doesn't have a horrible interface?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Amazon is laggy and keeps jumping back to the front of the queue when I'm browsing. Netflix was pretty good on the last gen apple tv--the new one is rear end.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

Amazon is laggy and keeps jumping back to the front of the queue when I'm browsing. Netflix was pretty good on the last gen apple tv--the new one is rear end.
I really really can't stand the new tweak to netflix where if I use a mousewheel or up/down arrows (even in full-screen!) it scrolls off the window of what's playing and pauses it like it's facebook.

But Green Room was awesome, although I was expecting more of a Patrick Stewart chewing scenery than revenge slasher. I didn't realize the tie with Blue Ruin's protagonist's actor :3:

True Memoirs of an International Assassin is also better than it had a right to be, so props to it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

veni veni veni posted:

I think they take it for granted that people will use their services regardless of how lovely their interfaces are. I think Amazon is worse than Netflix on PS4.

The video quality differences are pretty noticeable on PS4 however, at least for me. The Netflix picture is degraded far more often than Amazon, and it doesn't cache nearly as much as Amazon does either. I'm on FiOS and get a bit over 25 MB/s consistently on my notebook, I assume the PS4 is similar so the lower bandwidth isn't on my end. I assume Netflix has to compress their output more because they have more users and a larger library, but the end result is Netflix often looks like crap.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Lion in Your Living Room on Netflix is a documentary about cats. It is good and I like watching cats.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

HBO Now is fine except when you have to manually scroll to the end of a season of a show to see the latest episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

HBO Now is fine except when you have to manually scroll to the end of a season of a show to see the latest episode.

That alone makes it the worst one though. Yes lets skip through 50 episodes of john Oliver to watch the new one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

That alone makes it the worst one though. Yes lets skip through 50 episodes of john Oliver to watch the new one.

Haha, that was the exact show I had in mind too.

I get the best streaming quality out of HBO Now, but I mean, poo poo, I better, poo poo's $16 a month.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's also horrible about saving where you left off if you wait more than a day to resume something and when I chromecast it the app seems to completely lose track of what it's playing. At least it's finally on PS4

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's enough streaming services that jumping between free trials gives u a years experience at least

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of HBO now, I just watched I am Legend for the first time since it came out and it's better than I remember even if it's pretty cliche. Man, does the CGI drag that movie down though. It's one of those movies that uses cgi even when it doesn't need to and it's really distracting.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of HBO now, I just watched I am Legend for the first time since it came out and it's better than I remember even if it's pretty cliche. Man, does the CGI drag that movie down though. It's one of those movies that uses cgi even when it doesn't need to and it's really distracting.

I much prefer the practical effects from Omega Man, cheesy though they may be. I also like everything else about the movie more than I Am Legend, but I will say that Will Smith did a better job than his own average.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, the movie has a REALLY good performance from Will Smith, it's just there's stuff dragging it down too (notably that STUPID ending that test audiences forced on it.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was the original ending?

Yeah definitely a good performance by Will Smith though. Overall it was really entertaining and well paced with a surprisingly restrained length at only an hour and a half (although it actually might have benefited from being longer).

The monsters were the only huge drawback to me. The ending wasn't great but I didn't think it was terrible. Just way too much blatant cgi and it showed them way too often and they aren't particularly scary. Their behavior is kind of nonsensical too. There is the one that is clearly the leader or at least is supposed to be significant in some way but they don't do anything with it. They are animalistic but they keep attack dogs? They set traps? If they didn't set that snare trap who did? Was the main vampire guy pissed about the girl Will Smith kidnapped? Who was she? None of that poo poo was addressed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: I just googled the original ending and I guess that addresses half my questions.

Actually never mind the theatrical ending is terrible now that I think about it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: I just googled the original ending and I guess that addresses half my questions.

Actually never mind the theatrical ending is terrible now that I think about it.

The book is even better, the vampires point out that he's been murdering them in their sleep, and he's the monster, then they execute him

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The original ending is great and the title makes a lot more sense in that context.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I remember back when it came out there was an argument here that sharply divided the community over whether the mannequin in the middle of the street actually moved when Smith drove by.

Not since the great "Do Star Trek transporters actually transport you, or just kill you and rebuild a copy of you on the other end" argument have people so vociferously argued their point.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Inspector Hound posted:

The book is even better, the vampires point out that he's been murdering them in their sleep, and he's the monster, then they execute him

Yep. Removing that kind of ruins the I Am Legend title. I still think there hasn't been a true adaptation of the book. I just watched Omega Man again the other day, and it is awful as I remember it. Also The Last Man on Earth was decent but lacking.

I guess in the end Night of the Living Dead is really the best adaptation of I Am Legend. You can honestly blame this book for The Walking Dead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
How is Byzantium?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

nate fisher posted:

Yep. Removing that kind of ruins the I Am Legend title. I still think there hasn't been a true adaptation of the book. I just watched Omega Man again the other day, and it is awful as I remember it. Also The Last Man on Earth was decent but lacking.

I guess in the end Night of the Living Dead is really the best adaptation of I Am Legend. You can honestly blame this book for The Walking Dead.

What's lacking about it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

How is Byzantium?

It's okay. It's well enough made, but there's not much to it. Might be worth it if you really like the premise of a mother/daughter vampire duo, or are a Gemma Arterton fan or something.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I remember back when it came out there was an argument here that sharply divided the community over whether the mannequin in the middle of the street actually moved when Smith drove by.

Not since the great "Do Star Trek transporters actually transport you, or just kill you and rebuild a copy of you on the other end" argument have people so vociferously argued their point.

Apparently you missed the "Androids or Aliens in the end?" argument from A.I.:Artificial Intelligence

Got yelled at by the only goon I know IRL because he was so committed to his position that they were Aliens

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys were right about what about bob holding up. The dynamic between Richard Dreyfus and Bill Murray is loving hilarious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On that note, are there any other movies like WAB, or with Dreyfus or Murray in their prime, that hold up like it does?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On that note, are there any other movies like WAB, or with Dreyfus or Murray in their prime, that hold up like it does?

Groundhog Day is timeless, and I know it's incredibly sentimental and cheesy, but I have a soft spot for Mr. Holland's Opus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

possibly Scrooged, but I haven't seen it in quite some time

as for Dreyfus, Jaws is obviously a timeless classic but in a very different vein