Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

galenanorth posted:

I have trouble with the idea the response, when I've seen people criticize things like superdelegates, primaries are run by private parties, so they can be as anti-democratic as they want to be. By that logic, there's nothing stopping the Republican Party and Democratic Party from just agreeing to not hold primaries and just nominating the same candidate... is there?

It's part of the blindness to parties that affected the founders, and people have hewed close since before Nixon, the parties were not so ideologically narrow. But at the same time it'd be like the Queen dissolving Parliament. She certainly could, but it'd be the start of a civil war.

E: But I would have said the same thing about a government shutdown, and welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For foreign diplomats, Trump hotel is place to be

quote:

She said much of the discussion among Washington-based diplomats is over “how are we going to build ties with the new administration.”

Back when many expected Trump to lose the election, speculation was rife that business would suffer at the hotels, condos and golf courses that bear his name. Now, those venues offer the prospect of something else: a chance to curry favor or access with the next president.
some said spending money at Trump’s hotel is an easy, friendly gesture to the new president
If diplomats, as well as corporate representatives and executives — whom the hotel hosted in a separate room Tuesday — want to spend lavishly at Trump properties, there appears to be no ethics rule to stop it, short of an act of Congress.
the measures preventing other federal employees from profiting from their positions do not apply to the president. "Consequently, there is no current legal requirement that would compel the President to relinquish financial interests because of a conflict of interest,”
:barf:

Trump is already being read like a book by foreign governments. We're going to get massively hosed as a country on any big league bigly "deals" Trump makes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Of course Donald Trump will allow you to pay for play BUT WHY DIDN'T HILLARY STOP IT

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Roast Peggy Noonan on Reagan's crusty femur.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Of course Donald Trump will allow you to pay for play BUT WHY DIDN'T HILLARY STOP IT

The sad part is that the Obama admin wanted Hillary to stop taking foreign donations to the Clinton Foundation while she was Secretary of State, to at least avoid the perception of corruption. And then watched Hillary and Bill flouted all those ethic rules. Obama could have smacked them down for violating standard ethics agreements, but he didn't. And as a result Hillary got tarred as a corrupt politician.

So now we have a president elect who thinks that ethics is a river in Egypt. Thanks Obama.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 19, 2016

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

thrakkorzog posted:

...ethics is a river in Egypt.

Actually it's a county just east of London.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Inferior Third Season posted:

For foreign diplomats, Trump hotel is place to be
:barf:

Trump is already being read like a book by foreign governments. We're going to get massively hosed as a country on any big league bigly "deals" Trump makes.

I expect the levels of blatant corruption to rise to utterly hilarious/horrifing within the first month and that the media will continue to bravely skate over it again. Once more, all Drumf supporters can eat me.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's not corruption, you see, because Trump isn't a politician. He's a businessman!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This could all have been avoided if you just did the sensible thing and auctioned off the presidency each term.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gort posted:

This could all have been avoided if you just did the sensible thing and auctioned off the presidency each term.

That's an interesting and apt analogy for an election.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

citybeatnik posted:

To be fair, if the GOP had super-delegates we wouldn't have gotten Trump.

As someone from a caucus state, the GOP would've gotten Trump even if there were super delegates.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/799972624713420804

SERIOUS ISSUES.

Context: Pence saw Hamilton last night and after the play was over one of the cast members (with the rest of the cast linking arms behind him) delivered this statement directly to him:

Aaron Burr posted:

Vice-president elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us at Hamilton: An American Musical. We really do.

We, sir, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir.

But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

We truly thank you for sharing this show — this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men, women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.

Truly the worst form of harassment possible!

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 19, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The thin skin continues.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

We're not going to use nukes, but this guy really is going to gently caress everything up, isn't he?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

TheBigAristotle posted:

We're not going to use nukes, but this guy really is going to gently caress everything up, isn't he?

He just cares about the sanctity of theater life. Also Trump is apparently not a safe-space cuck.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/799974635274194947

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 19, 2016

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Don't count out the nukes! We're only one "I'm not touching you" away from North Korea getting glassed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Beefeater1980 posted:

Actually it's a county just east of London.

Boooooo.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Kro-Bar posted:

He just cares about the sanctity of theater life.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldDrumpf/status/799974635274194947

He's the president-elect, of course he cares a lot whether the theatre is a safe place.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Fragrag posted:

He's the president-elect, of course he cares a lot whether the theatre is a safe place.

:vince:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kro-Bar posted:

SERIOUS ISSUES.

Context: Pence saw Hamilton last night and after the play was over one of the cast members (with the rest of the cast linking arms behind him) delivered this statement directly to him:

Ah your edit oh the context and made my post redundant

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kro-Bar posted:

SERIOUS ISSUES.

If Trump and Pence want a "Safe Space" they should step down. The Presidency is not a place for people who care about hurt feewings.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Here's what happened.

https://mobile.twitter.com/steveking_/status/799828880240635906

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
If absolutely nothing else, it's going to be fun as gently caress to watch people poo poo all over these two clowns for 4 years

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hamilton really is going to be the defining work of art of the Obama presidency isn't it

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

More theater will be effective

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

NiceGuy posted:

If absolutely nothing else, it's going to be fun as gently caress to watch people poo poo all over these two clowns for 4 years

Yes, but think of all the rousing applause they'll receive at Cracker Barrel restaurants across this great land.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I will vote Republican if Trump outlaws Hamilton

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Meanwhile, Mormons continue to hand out the Book of Mormon outside the Book of Mormon. I think freedom of speech on Broadway is safe.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Swan Oat posted:

I will vote Republican if Trump outlaws Hamilton

Trump is Hamilton. We're going full frontal federalism, and if you think the Democratic party is in a smoking crater, the economic libertarians line the rim of that same smoking crater.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/28/obama-reckons-with-a-trump-presidency/amp

quote:

“The prescription that some offer, which is stop trade, reduce global integration, I don’t think is going to work,” [Obama] went on. “If that’s not going to work, then we’re going to have to redesign the social compact in some fairly fundamental ways over the next twenty years. And I know how to build a bridge to that new social compact. It begins with all the things we’ve talked about in the past—early-childhood education, continuous learning, job training, a basic social safety net, expanding the earned-income tax credit, investments in infrastructure—which, by definition, aren’t shipped overseas. All of those things accelerate growth, give you more of a runway. But at some point, when the problem is not just Uber but driverless Uber, when radiologists are losing their jobs to A.I., then we’re going to have to figure out how do we maintain a cohesive society and a cohesive democracy in which productivity and wealth generation are not automatically linked to how many hours you put in, where the links between production and distribution are broken, in some sense. Because I can sit in my office, do a bunch of stuff, send it out over the Internet, and suddenly I just made a couple of million bucks, and the person who’s looking after my kid while I’m doing that has no leverage to get paid more than ten bucks an hour.”

lol we're hosed

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The future is cyberpunk

I, for one, will be rocking a pink mohawk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trabisnikof posted:

Now say that all in six words or less.

Get poo poo Done

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If you don't want to see people like Clinton nominated and you think she was a poo poo candidate then get involved with the party. If you don't like what you're hearing from the Democrats get the gently caress in there and do what you can to guide it in a different direction. Meet up with your local party members and help figure out what you're going to do in the next 2-3 years to fix what you're identifying to be the problem. I get that some of you are accelerationists or whatever but there has to be some poo poo you can do on the weekend to get ready for the mid-terms.

People are angry right now. A lot of Democrats that sat out are probably regretting it and wish they could do something to make up for it. I know they exist because some started showing up to our local meetings. Nobody expected Trump to win outside of Bill Mitchell. Go help rile people up to GOTV over the next two years (we elect a new governor in VA in 2017 and we are freaking out) so things don't get worse.

http://asdc.democrats.org/state-parties/

Stop bitching. Go help. I know some of you are getting involved but for those that aren't, what the gently caress?

If you're in Richmond/Henrico VA PM me.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Nah. I mean we're hosed for as long as Trump is President, economically and socially, but the problems we have (excepting climate change) are not hard. Not in the "wow this sure is a hard puzzle" sense, anyway.

I mean, we seemed pretty hosed at the end of the 70s as well (at least, I think we did? I wasn't alive yet, then), but we weren't actually we just needed to rethink our economics. And even then, we did a pretty poor job of it and still got like a decade and a half of decent-to-fair living standards out of it.

Assuming Trump doesn't start a nuclear war and assuming the GOP either doesn't hold a permanent electoral majority forever or, failing that, that they finally come to their senses and realize Ayn Rand really was just a lovely author, we'll be lost in the woods until we implement an economics that makes sense and works for people again.

I mean Obama is talking about "I know how to do this" but then lists a bunch of poo poo that isn't going to do it. He even admits it at the end of that section that it won't do it since all the social safety nets and job training in the world isn't going to address the fact that the production and distribution links are broken.

Of course we're still hosed because of climate change, obviously, but I get the sense you weren't referring to that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Look at it this way: Trump is likely going to end up as the Jimmy Carter of the right, except he's not even going to build houses for homeless people after leaving office.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kro-Bar posted:

SERIOUS ISSUES.

How do conservatives square the circle of wanting traditional values and masculinity and all this poo poo, and then acting like you have the emotional fragility of a loving three-year-old?

Apparently the feelings of the average white guy in America are roughly as fragile as a Faberge egg.

I don't even know how that statement could've been made more respectful, and yet tons of people appear to be freaking out over it and this is somehow building support for Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, gently caress my life I just don't understand anything anymore.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

galenanorth posted:

I have trouble with the idea the response, when I've seen people criticize things like superdelegates, primaries are run by private parties, so they can be as anti-democratic as they want to be. By that logic, there's nothing stopping the Republican Party and Democratic Party from just agreeing to not hold primaries and just nominating the same candidate... is there?

The whole shrug of "oh they're private entities they can do what they want" kind of assumes that people will still show up to vote for whoever they ram through the process. 2016 was a massive reality check on that

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PT6A posted:

How do conservatives square the circle of wanting traditional values and masculinity and all this poo poo, and then acting like you have the emotional fragility of a loving three-year-old?

Apparently the feelings of the average white guy in America are roughly as fragile as a Faberge egg.

I don't even know how that statement could've been made more respectful, and yet tons of people appear to be freaking out over it and this is somehow building support for Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, gently caress my life I just don't understand anything anymore.

Double standard. Never criticize the conservative president.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

Everything I'm seeing is squarely on the side of the Hamilton folks in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Lmao at going to watch the musical version of the Obama presidency as the guy who campaigned on erasing the Obama presidency and expecting everything to be peachy. Let alone going to musical theater at all as the guy who loves curing the gays with psychological torture. It's like if Lincoln was shot at a white supremacist benefit barbecue.

• Locked thread