Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think that might have been my first death to an orc sorceror ever.

34 damage firebolt. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
orc sorcerer's bolts can do up to 51 damage!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

PleasingFungus posted:

riposte only actually triggers once per hydra attack series, not once per head. ditto for other monsters with multiple attacks, e.g. trolls, and likewise ditto for minotaur headbutt retaliation (which is where the code comes from in the first place)

I think what he's referring to is that the amount of attacks will almost always get you a riposte every turn, making it quite reliable.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cynic Jester posted:

I think what he's referring to is that the amount of attacks will almost always get you a riposte every turn, making it quite reliable.

However, they will not, because of what I said in the post you just quoted.

You have, at best, about a 1/3 chance of a riposte per-turn vs a hydra. Probably somewhat less in practice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Generally speaking, sitting in melee range of a hyrda is a terrible idea as most characters in lair. Even with a weapon effective versus them, their damage output is truly frightening for such early monsters. They are the perfect target for whatever offensive wands you have found so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I don't know if I want to keep splatting VSAM, both because it's a somewhat rough start and because there's only one win left on the Nemelex' Choice.

Maybe a couple GhNe to unwind, I like that combo and it actually has some decent bonus points if I manage to ascend.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

So if you happen to banish them via distortion you get 50% of the experience and no real consequences? If so, I think I've found an excellent method of ghost busting via AKs.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did someone change the code to make double-zapping with lightning "easier"?

Because it's loving with my reflexes.

If not, then I guess it's all in my head.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Today I learned that even if you bribe it with gozag, vault 5 is still vault 5 and will still kill you dead

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

riposte only actually triggers once per hydra attack series, not once per head. ditto for other monsters with multiple attacks, e.g. trolls, and likewise ditto for minotaur headbutt retaliation (which is where the code comes from in the first place)

I've always been confused about effective_attack_number in the code. Does it restart at 0 for each monster attacking and then go up 1 for each additional attack? I see riposte is in the same section as Mino retaliation which only fires on attack number <= 0. So could I get one riposte per adjacent monster attacking?

Anyway I was killing hydrae pretty handily wielding a great sword and using wands or throwing, but riposte was at 50%. The important thing to note is you can keep your long blade equipped without worrying about adding to the heads with riposte and it will actually add damage.

Bribing V5 is like bribing Zot 5 - your bribe runs out almost immediately. TBQH bribe is pretty worthless in the areas you'd want to use it in.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only place I use Bribe is Hell. Use it after reaching level 7 of a branch, and it'll last you up until the rune guardian for sure. After that it'll probably expire before the next one but I'll have stockpiled enough gold that I can afford more than one bribe anyways. Fiends and such being affected by bribe makes the place a lot less dangerous and easier to get through.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

The only place I use Bribe is Hell. Use it after reaching level 7 of a branch, and it'll last you up until the rune guardian for sure. After that it'll probably expire before the next one but I'll have stockpiled enough gold that I can afford more than one bribe anyways. Fiends and such being affected by bribe makes the place a lot less dangerous and easier to get through.

I basically came to the conclusion (after dying) that bribing rune floors makes sense but bribing earlier floors is kinda pointless.

I don't regret bribing snake 4, since that is imo the most consistently deadly lair rune vault. Shoals tends to split its danger across the entire map instead of concentrating it, all of spider's actually dangerous enemies are speed 10 without a ranged attack (except ghost moths which are utterly negated with an otherwise marginal consumable), and swamp usually concentrates all of its danger into a single avoidable 27-headed hydra.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't like using Bribe anywhere outside of extended. Its a super powerful ability but its wicked expensive and using it means you get less exp and gold on top of what you spend. If I was playing a really weak character just struggling to even get 3 runes I might be that's never happened to me as a Gozag follower. Setting up shops means you often have a surplus of consumables to use so you don't have to be so stingy with them.

Its greedy but Gozag is all about that!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

So if you happen to banish them via distortion you get 50% of the experience and no real consequences? If so, I think I've found an excellent method of ghost busting via AKs.

It's not like there are real 'consequences' for banishing non-ghost monsters...

odiv posted:

Did someone change the code to make double-zapping with lightning "easier"?

Because it's loving with my reflexes.

If not, then I guess it's all in my head.

Yes. You can disable this by setting
pre:
simple_targeting = true
in your rfile.

Araganzar posted:

I've always been confused about effective_attack_number in the code. Does it restart at 0 for each monster attacking and then go up 1 for each additional attack? I see riposte is in the same section as Mino retaliation which only fires on attack number <= 0. So could I get one riposte per adjacent monster attacking?

Correct. Note also that fast monsters, e.g. adders, can get multiple 'first attacks' per player turn.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes. You can disable this by setting
pre:
simple_targeting = true
in your rfile.
Thanks.

Does it not show up properly on console? Because I swear it looks like it's targeting regularly (the monster is highlighted) and then I try to move it over one square to bounce it and the cursor jumps two squares.

I'll try it again next time I play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Internet Kraken posted:

Generally speaking, sitting in melee range of a hyrda is a terrible idea as most characters in lair. Even with a weapon effective versus them, their damage output is truly frightening for such early monsters. They are the perfect target for whatever offensive wands you have found so far.
[Formicid laughing in the distance]

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Quick question: I know at some point in the last year necromantic minions you raise got made non-permanent - did this get reverted at some point?

I mean, I'm not complaining if they did, but I've dabbled with things like animate skeleton and Yred during the tourney, and they don't seem to be poofing into clouds of smoke anymore. Of if they are, I'm missing it.

E: Of course, as soon as I post this, I see one crumble into dust, but they still seem to be lasting WAY longer, even for a scrub minotaur fightmans.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 19, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

Does it not show up properly on console?
To answer my own question, yeah, the correct targeting shows up on tiles, but not console.

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 19, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

Nevermind, hosed up in Tomb. GOOD poo poo gently caress CRAWL

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

Quick question: I know at some point in the last year necromantic minions you raise got made non-permanent - did this get reverted at some point?

I mean, I'm not complaining if they did, but I've dabbled with things like animate skeleton and Yred during the tourney, and they don't seem to be poofing into clouds of smoke anymore. Of if they are, I'm missing it.

E: Of course, as soon as I post this, I see one crumble into dust, but they still seem to be lasting WAY longer, even for a scrub minotaur fightmans.

Yred minions last forever, spell minions are timed.

Araganzar posted:

Ripostes do not sever heads - and with the # of attacks you're going to get a riposte. Equip a big rear end sword and throw javs or use wands.

Everyone's talking about the second point but I've totally seen riposte sever heads, and trigger spines and everything else regular attacks do. Unless that got changed recently?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darox posted:

Everyone's talking about the second point but I've totally seen riposte sever heads, and trigger spines and everything else regular attacks do. Unless that got changed recently?

They stopped doing it a few days after Riposte went in, though at first they did.

Edit: The changelog only says 'Disable hydra head-cutting on riposte', so I don't know about spines, but I suspect they don't trigger those either.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ogre Smash

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Today I learned that player ghosts can spawn in minotaur labyrinths, and do so next to the minotaur.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

I have achieved nirvana...

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

God drat Troll Monks are just laughable. I've tried tabbing through before but it really just works straight out of the box for trolls...

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

God drat Troll Monks are just laughable. I've tried tabbing through before but it really just works straight out of the box for trolls...

Yep, right up until it quickly stops, then starts up again when you find good dragon scales.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TrMo^C is especially hilarious, though ^F or ^D is probably better.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Im rolling with ashenzari so I can have some warning about what I am going to blunder into next. So far every skybeast chunk I've eaten has rolled a good mutation except the last one which was evolution.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Troll secret - play necromancer. Early tabbing is still as easy as ever but you also get animate skeleton and vampiric draining to wreck stuff and extend your easy mode life to beyond lair. Get 10~ necromancy skill so draining is reliable then do whatever you want with your troll.

Troll necromancy apt is actually good for troll apts and most of the good necromancies are single school so you can really go deep into spells on a necrotroll, and most of the good necromancies are also fantastic melee support spells.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I thought mutagenic chunks were supposed to be a bit more random. So far I am at 7 positive mutations 1 neutral.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

DON'T go toe to toe with a white ugly thing if you have -rC. That was my last shot for the tournament. I did get a MfTr ascension so I am happy but my top games is literally 10 ascendable characters dying in stupid ways.

Crawl 0.19: The real enemy is your tab key

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Im rolling with ashenzari so I can have some warning about what I am going to blunder into next. So far every skybeast chunk I've eaten has rolled a good mutation except the last one which was evolution.

Evolution is a great mutation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm probably going to try to sneak a MiBe in under the buzzer when I get home tonight just to actually get an ascend this tournament.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

Crawl 0.19: The real enemy is your tab key
This is the gospel truth, right here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crawlhack: Set your autofight_stop to a decently high number, so you're forced to stop tabbing before you're one turn from death.

Unless you fight something that can one/two shot you, but don't fight things that can do that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What if you encounter a loving L3 entropy weaver? Why do they have 4x17 melee attacks?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Crawl 0.19: Don't fight things that do that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have my auto fight stop at 60% and even that feels low sometimes.

That's about when you should start thinking about whether to port/shaft/whatever

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

My tabtroll died to some unique jerk with a very very VERY strong executioners axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

What if you encounter a loving L3 entropy weaver? Why do they have 4x17 melee attacks?

crawl hack: use simulacrum on entropy weavers to create a large group of 4x(1d17 + 13-38) damage friends

bonus crawl hack: never, ever stand next to a hostile entropy weaver simulacrum

• Locked thread