Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
God bless you G1, you total mass of bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bziYECbPRXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Veloxyll posted:

Blitzwing is not, however, very GOOD at sports.

These are blatant lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuaHt22pAA

Blitzwing is AMAZING at sports.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

These are blatant lies.

His voice mimicry ain't bad either. (my favorite episode, as I've said too many times in the Transformers LPs)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

StrifeHira posted:

These are blatant lies.

I'm not sure what impresses me more: the fact that nobody noticed Blitzwing drive through the wall of the stadium until he got in the way of the play, that the team has lockers that are fifteen feet tall, or the coach's iron neck muscles.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure what impresses me more: the fact that nobody noticed Blitzwing drive through the wall of the stadium until he got in the way of the play, that the team has lockers that are fifteen feet tall, or the coach's iron neck muscles.

Or the fact the coach's first reaction isn't "OMG IT'S A loving TANK" it's "Pass him the ball".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, that seems like a reasonable reaction to me.

It was the 80s, after all.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

VolticSurge posted:

Or the fact the coach's first reaction isn't "OMG IT'S A loving TANK" it's "Pass him the ball".

'The rules don't say that a giant mechanical deathbot /can't/ play!'

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

And really, what other option IS there? What else can you do but pass the tank the ball?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I didn't realise it but they're doing the Coolguye whiff themselves.
Thankfully for them, Megatron wasn't within the vicinity to execute them for their failures.

On the flip side, Wheeljack was right there to show off his latest invention to them, so it evens out in the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

On the flip side, Wheeljack was right there to show off his latest invention to them

His dick.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

'The rules don't say that a giant mechanical deathbot /can't/ play!'

Air Blitz:Coming to theaters...never.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The most impressive part to me is that Zone Defense actually works. The Autobots fail to stop Blitzwing because of it. The Coach is the greatest asset the Decepticons ever had.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Orv posted:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

StrifeHira posted:

The most impressive part to me is that Zone Defense actually works. The Autobots fail to stop Blitzwing because of it. The Coach is the greatest asset the Decepticons ever had.

Zone Defense + Long bomb thankyou

I swear someone got through via the roads. Because someone had to pull Sideswipe and Sunstreaker out of Blitzwing's Autobot throne. And while I can see the Stunticons running that gauntlet because they have shown themselves fiercly loyal to Megatron (or just unwilling to put up with Starscream's nonsense), they wouldn't bother to rescue Autobots.

G1 was equal parts insane and amazing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

Then he just had to piss off the Constructicons. You can guess how that ended.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Orv posted:

Did they just
and then
but
what
how
:psyboom:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la4kqBPFYFQ

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i get the distinct feeling that there will be a resurgence in G1 popularity the month after weed becomes legal for recreational use nationally

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coolguye posted:

i get the distinct feeling that there will be a resurgence in G1 popularity the month after weed becomes legal for recreational use nationally

So in 5-9 years then? :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

That never fails to make me laugh until my stomach hurts.

*E* "It's the Auuoorrrrbbbrrrrr!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

IronSaber posted:

That never fails to make me laugh until my stomach hurts.
it's the end of it that gets me every time.

starscream is like "ITS MY TIME NOW MEGATRON" and flies off, then just nose plants

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Coolguye posted:

it's the end of it that gets me every time.

starscream is like "ITS MY TIME NOW MEGATRON" and flies off, then just nose plants

And at the very end Ironhide is like "What the gently caress just happened."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Did they just
and then
but
what
how
:psyboom:

Reminder that late 80s, early 90s kids cartoons were loving crazy about time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmhz6pQS1u0

Though that's sort of an unfair comparison, TMNT is always up to some time travel bullshit, no matter how many cartoons they do.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 18, 2016

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

The first two were good, but I was in tears after Starscream just face-planted into that Energon stockpile.

I need to get some alcohol and watch G1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't remember. Was there any reason why Starscream just suddenly crashed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't remember. Was there any reason why Starscream just suddenly crashed.

Apparently everyone had cybertonium deficiency, a chilling tale meant to ensure you took your vitamins that would've opened up some spectacular plot holes had they ever cared about that kind of thing in the first place.

Cybertonium is green energon cubes instead of pink/purple, you see. Totally different.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Can't remember if G1 had holomatter avatars (Pretending to have a human to distract), but the IDW comics do, and... Megatron's never used one... Up till Volume 8 of More Than Meets The Eye.

:allears: Holy poo poo :allears:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Well that explains something.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Can't remember if G1 had holomatter avatars (Pretending to have a human to distract), but the IDW comics do, and... Megatron's never used one... Up till Volume 8 of More Than Meets The Eye.

The little skull beltbuckle is just perfect. :allears:

Also just noticed the little Decepticon icon on his cane.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JamieTheD posted:

Someone please explain to me how a race whose size, at smallest, is that of a car can pretend to be the size of a person.

And before someone else says it, yes, I understand that I am asking for logic in a series where big robot men turn into vehicles fight other big robot men who can turn into vehicles.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone please explain to me how a race whose size, at smallest, is that of a car can pretend to be the size of a person.

And before someone else says it, yes, I understand that I am asking for logic in a series where big robot men turn into vehicles fight other big robot men who can turn into vehicles.

Okay, it's very simple: They have a holographic matter projector, which they can use to pretend they have human drivers (Which they used to pretend they were perfectly normal Earth vehicles on Earth), and they don't exploit it for any other purpose, say, for example, hiding themselves or distracting others or the like, unless either plot demands (As in that example, and the time Whirl murdered some Autobot analogues while drunk) or it's a background detail.

Usually, it represents their personality or function to some degree or other. Whirl is a very odd example of this working as intended.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
That's also asking if it's possible to make a lightsaber.

Possible, but not in our generation.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The various series have all played with the idea of holographic drivers to maintain the ruse that they're normal earth vehicles. It's just that the IDW comics took it a step further, and rather than have non-interactive holograms, give them solid light holograms that they could project their consciousness into (hence Avatar), that could move a certain distance from their main body. That way they could interact in scenarios where being a fifty foot death machine would have problems.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

It's simple, and yet still fits Megatron's personality perfectly. :allears:

My only complaint are the shoulder pads; they do unfortunately stand out way too much.

Rorahusky posted:

The various series have all played with the idea of holographic drivers to maintain the ruse that they're normal earth vehicles. It's just that the IDW comics took it a step further, and rather than have non-interactive holograms, give them solid light holograms that they could project their consciousness into (hence Avatar), that could move a certain distance from their main body. That way they could interact in scenarios where being a fifty foot death machine would have problems.
See: Megatron standing in what appears to be Times Square in the above image. A place where being a 50+ foot tall death machine is kind of a bad thing due to the area being a massive tourist magnet (and for Autobots, adding in the high risk of civilian hostages or casualties).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Since he can turn into a human-sized gun, does that mean he could've wielded himself if he'd felt like it?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since he can turn into a human-sized gun, does that mean he could've wielded himself if he'd felt like it?

Can Megatron transform into a gun so small that he himself cannot fire it?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

See: Megatron standing in what appears to be Times Square in the above image. A place where being a 50+ foot tall death machine is kind of a bad thing due to the area being a massive tourist magnet (and for Autobots, adding in the high risk of civilian hostages or casualties).

What's actually going on there is substantially more complicated than him just being in Times Square, though.

No I'm not going to summarize, it'll sound stupid and you should really be reading More Than Meets The Eye anyway.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Only Hound could create Humanograms in G1.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's actually going on there is substantially more complicated than him just being in Times Square, though.

No I'm not going to summarize, it'll sound stupid and you should really be reading More Than Meets The Eye anyway.

Also, in the prequel book, "All Hail Megatron," he and the rest of the Decepticons basically wiped out 1/7th of all the humans on the planet (which is what kickstarted Revolution, in a way). So actual Megatron standing in actual Times Square would be very bad. In fact, almost any Cybertronian standing in Times Square would be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JamieTheD posted:

I mean I'm a straight guy, but... :blush:

On a more serious (and hopefully less creepy) note, why don't they use the holomatter stuff for when the Transformers need to do human things? Sure, we can have a naive human asking about Cybertronian things to explain stuff to the audience, but if we need Optimus going to the bank or something, just use humaniforms instead.

• Locked thread