Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I want more of this please holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. I was never arguing that Britain was likely to come to peace talks with Hitler, it is just it could have happened without any real dramatic changes in history and would have led to at least a more difficult and costly Allied victory.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't touch the bottom one, it might be poisonous

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I really don't feel like the UK could possibly settle with Nazi Germany by the time they controlled France. That's the neighbouring country (natural moat notwithstanding) and any time they allow them to have it is time Germany can spend building ships in their new strategically valuable ports.

Hence Vichy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FAUXTON posted:

Google "B-24 assembly ships"

I'd post a few photos, but photobucket is being bitchy.

e: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/477/Polka-Dot-Warriors.aspx

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mods, change my name to Spotted rear end Ape

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
B-17s get all the glory but I will never stop loving B-24s.

Possibly because I got to crawl around in one at an airshow when I was a kid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

hogmartin posted:

B-17s get all the glory but I will never stop loving B-24s.

Just like Il-2 gets all the love when Pe-2 is the poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

These guys were just plane assholes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

:captainpop:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Between the fall of France and Barbarossa, Britain was pretty much the only thing left of the war. It was probably the closest the Germans ever came to "winning" the war, but they never had a plan to deal with Britain, so they were pretty much doomed from that point on.

They made some pretty impressive gains in Russia, but what does the scenario look like where they win and smash the USSR? Do they finally mount that over the channel invasion with their forces depleted by the Russian war? Do they just sit tight and hurl bombers back and forth with Britain until 2102 when Mecha-Hitler finally manages to talk down Winston Churchill clone number 21?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlothfulCobra posted:

Between the fall of France and Barbarossa, Britain was pretty much the only thing left of the war. It was probably the closest the Germans ever came to "winning" the war, but they never had a plan to deal with Britain, so they were pretty much doomed from that point on.

They made some pretty impressive gains in Russia, but what does the scenario look like where they win and smash the USSR? Do they finally mount that over the channel invasion with their forces depleted by the Russian war? Do they just sit tight and hurl bombers back and forth with Britain until 2102 when Mecha-Hitler finally manages to talk down Winston Churchill clone number 21?

The US redirects the same flow of lend-lease to China and presumably puts a thumb on the scale by arming Chiang more heavily than Mao and then looking the other way when he kills anyone suspected of even smelling the least bit Communist.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

The US redirects the same flow of lend-lease to China and presumably puts a thumb on the scale by arming Chiang more heavily than Mao and then looking the other way when he kills anyone suspected of even smelling the least bit Communist.

Soviet aid was going mostly to Chiang too, no one took the communists seriously until pretty late in the game.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand, a lot of those supplies ended up going into Communist hands anyways. :D

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hitler didn't really plan these things very far forward. Then again I don't think any leaders ever have had fool proof game plans, well, short of the likes of the invasion of Grenada. Churchill couldn't tell that the Nazi-Soviet pact would fall apart in less than two years and that Japan would pull USA to war footing, but nobody accuses him of having no plan.

But to answer your question, submarine warfare (and staying friends with Stalin) was the only chance for Germany to defeat Britain.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FAUXTON posted:

You think is exciting, you should have seen the paint art for the WW1 fighters.

A German ace had a face painted on the front of his plane.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

You think is exciting, you should have seen the paint art for the WW1 fighters.

A German ace had a face painted on the front of his plane.

My god, it's Thomas the Tank Engine's dad

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

My god, it's Thomas the Tank Engine's dad

look at the pilot's face too, he knows what's up :grin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

P-Mack posted:

Soviet aid was going mostly to Chiang too, no one took the communists seriously until pretty late in the game.

Yeah, it basically wasn't until the Japanese were in retreat/surrendering that the Soviets really ramped up the support, but it wasn't like Chiang's position was awful until the Soviets essentially held the door for Mao and then left all the Japanese poo poo there for them to take. Once they did, though, that war turned in their favor in a hurry. Absent the Soviet backing as the Japanese retreated, I'm not sure that shift would have happened even if tens of millions of people favored Mao. Chiang winning would probably have resulted in mass killings dwarfing anything that happened between 39 and 45.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The question is reversible - The UK literally has no plan to win the war at that point either.

Say gay-black-Hitler never invades Russia and so there's no Eastern Front. Say the Nazis love bomb the USA and make it plain that the Pacific war is nothing to do with them in order to keep the public anti-war in Europe enough that Roosevelt cannot get involved. Say there are repeated offers of peace if only the UK will accept German hegemony on the continent.

Eventually a peace faction forms in Parliament and Churchill gets forced out. That's how that deadlock gets broken.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAL posted:

haha, it's funny because these people are going to rule us soon

Will trade cabinet positions for signed photo albums of Hitler's dog.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is exhausting.

If the Germans were really smart they wouldn't have fell for the Calais deception :smuggo:

Also what's his source for "Only 3 men survived Utah Beach etc etc"?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Not necessarily, AFAIK there were good contacts between the union and the states.

Shipping it would've been hard if Britain peaced out and didn't want US ships in their ports though.

And shipping everything to Yakutsk or whatever would've just been impractical. Not that it couldn't happen or whatever, but it would've stretched supply lines a lot.

Torch/Meditarranean + D-day can't happen under a non-belligerent/neutral UK

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Some more:
http://imgur.com/gallery/kgU3r

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

look at the pilot's face too, he knows what's up :grin:

I've always thought that Voss looked like a Weimaraner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alchenar posted:

The question is reversible - The UK literally has no plan to win the war at that point either.

Say gay-black-Hitler never invades Russia and so there's no Eastern Front. Say the Nazis love bomb the USA and make it plain that the Pacific war is nothing to do with them in order to keep the public anti-war in Europe enough that Roosevelt cannot get involved. Say there are repeated offers of peace if only the UK will accept German hegemony on the continent.

Eventually a peace faction forms in Parliament and Churchill gets forced out. That's how that deadlock gets broken.

If Germany invaded Czechoslovakia as normal but figured out how to invade Poland without dragging Britain and France into the war (I'd guess it would be by slow-walking any concentration of forces while sweet-talking everyone else that CZ was purely in self-defense after that fake border skirmish) yeah you probably wouldn't see everyone's alarm bells go off. Then again, the war itself probably would have never happened at the scale it did and the gay black third reich would really be, like, Germany, Austria, Poland, and Czechoslovakia, and we'd all be laughing our asses off at the comedy of errors that would have been the Greco-Italian war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Shipping it would've been hard if Britain peaced out and didn't want US ships in their ports though.

And shipping everything to Yakutsk or whatever would've just been impractical. Not that it couldn't happen or whatever, but it would've stretched supply lines a lot.

Torch/Meditarranean + D-day can't happen under a non-belligerent/neutral UK

If the US was at war with Japan yeah, but a neutral UK there's no reason why supplies can't travel through Murmansk or through Persia that now the USSR gets to totally occupy and have access to those oil fields forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

If the US was at war with Japan yeah, but a neutral UK there's no reason why supplies can't travel through Murmansk or through Persia that now the USSR gets to totally occupy and have access to those oil fields forever.

I'm not saying they can't, but you now have no support from Britain to protect from land-based aircraft, submarines, and surface ships launched by Germany. This, in turn, weakens the USN's overall strength as they cannot focus as many ships in the Pacific.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Counterpoint, the Treaty of Amiens. It's not like the UK hadn't been here before and it's not like eternal German domination of the Continent was ever going to be acceptable.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

feedmegin posted:

Counterpoint, the Treaty of Amiens. It's not like the UK hadn't been here before and it's not like eternal German domination of the Continent was ever going to be acceptable.

I don't really think that's a counterpoint? That treaty was signed, after all.

I mean any negotiated settlement with Nazi Germany wouldn't guarantee eternal peace, but it seems quite plausible that after a number of years without progress the war would end - however temporarily. Britain would probably be occupied with the issue of India for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

That took me an inordinately long time to figure out what I was looking at.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That took me an inordinately long time to figure out what I was looking at.

Now imagine being a slightly hungover pilot approaching that plane early in the morning. It's just cruel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think he would probably still have a less confusing time than I would, because he wouldn't know what photoshop is and thus would not experience the moment of existential uncertainty that I would if I saw that in real life.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think the best argument I can come up with that counts towards the Germans is that Moscow was a central transportation hub. However, that doesn't really stop supplies from the Urals from reaching other destinations. Certainly, it'd be a blow to morale/prestige as losing your capital city would do, but, as with anything that is pure speculation, the farther you take it, the gayer your black Hitler becomes...

Does he cite any counter-examples of research that "proves you wrong"?

It's interesting how these plane paint schemes (along with dazzle paint on ships) were part of the influence for a lot of (loving amazing) 70's sci fi illustrators like Chris Foss, John Berkey, etc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
More from the 70 year old hobo, this time he's actually quoting me in bits:

quote:

Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Raenir, here are some comments you made that I will respond to.

quote:

1. That they should have won the Battle of Britain by throwing more resources at it longer (they still would have lost).
No they wouldn't have. Britain was on the ropes, their air force was all but destroyed. And as I pointed out before, Germany had already conquered Poland and France and the only nation resisting Germany's total dominance of Europe was the British. Had Britain been eliminated as a staging place, American intervention would not even have been possible.

quote:

2. That they should have delayed Barbarossa for a year (disastrous for the Germans, they invaded at the best possible time, hence them being essentially "lucky" up until this point).
The only advantage to the Germans for launching Barbarossa when they did was that the Soviet army was deployed in attack formations, and not in defensive formations. But since the Soviets thought the Nazi-Soviet Pact guaranteed that Germany would not attack them, they probably would have waited before doing anything to change their strategic deployment.

quote:

3. That the Japanese an entire different country and geopolitical situation, could have done something entirely different from what they did!
You miss the point that the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor enabled the USA to enter the war against Germany while Britain was still a viable protagonist. Records are that Hitler was not pleased by the Japanese attack, precisely because he knew it meant he would have to deal with the Americans now, with its immense resources and productivity.

quote:

4. That they should have kept using the Paratroopers after their "one bad experience in crete" (They did, but they lost most of their transport planes in the effort, so Varsity style landings were out of the question for Barbarossa).
The planes could have been rebuilt and what they already had could have been used against Britain instead of Russia.

quote:

5. I'm not sure if you supposed not invading Yugoslavia or not; but the invasion of Yugoslavia was not with forces designated for Barbarossa and did not affect the timeline for Barbarossa at all. Additionally invading 6 months earlier would've meant that (a) the Germans would have been less prepared than they were, and would have been less effective and had less vehicles, and (b) the weather would have been far worse in actuality.
Invading Yugoslavia was not a great challenge, since the German Nazis had many sympathizers in Yugoslavia. The Yugoslavian air force had recently been decimated by natural disasters, which Hitler took as indication of supernatural intervention on his side (Hitler dabbled in spiritualism).

quote:

6. Winter uniforms. This actually is a myth; the main problem was that the supply demands for barbarossa were so great that it just wasn't possible to supply over 160 divisions with winter uniforms in a timely manner; notwithstanding the fact that OKW had went into the invasion with the intention not for reaching Moscow, but to destroy the Red Army in the opening phases of the war "One swift kick and the whole rotten structure would come tumbling down" and this affected ALL of German High Command's planning for Barbarossa, Hitler isn't to blame here, but rather German officer culture that deemphasized supply and logistics, and grand strategy.
This is just ignorant. Of course the German military's combat effectiveness was virtually halved in cold weather because the soldiers were suffering from frost bite and other cold weather attrition. And whether or not it was Hitler who was primarily responsible for launching Barbarossa, or whether it was partly the fault of the General staff, changes nothing. The basic point remains that the operation was launched without properly equipping the Wehrmacht for a sustained military effort.

You have not responded to the simple facts I pointed out that Germany swiftly and easily conquered Poland and France, and expelled the British Expeditionary Force from the continent, and thus had virtual hegemony over mainland Europe, making it necessary for the Allies to have to engage in an amphibious assault even to get back into the war (this is ignoring the Africa campaign, which took place on a different continent). At that point, Germany had already nearly attained victory in WWII. How can any sane person deny that?

Where does he get the idea that German combat effectiveness was "halved"? Is that a modifier from that wargame?

There's an element of him Literally Exemplifying The Germans in that he seems to think all the logistical and industrial problems could just be handwaved through willpower alone.

Let me know of course if in some of the things I wrote that he responded to I got Stuff Wrong.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Are you having this exchange in the hopes of turning his mind?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

Are you having this exchange in the hopes of turning his mind?

At the very least I am improving my own knowledge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Honestly you should just continue to call him out for being wrong until he drops dead of a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Orson Scott Card's forums.

Are you sure it's not OSC himself? Certainly sounds like him and he was a bit of a Hitler fan.