Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

The first time I fought Necron I was honestly a little disappointed when it shifted from the wailing to the 'main' final boss music.
the actual song still has the wails in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, yeah. In a game crammed full of excellent music, both the ultimate and penultimate battles have amazing tracks.

With both Kuja and Necron, the real issue is that if you aren't prepared and don't work at keeping on the offense, it can be very easy to fall into rounds of defensive and healing actions, where you will, ultimately, inevitably, be overwhelmed. This is even more true with Necron than Kuja, thanks to Grand Cross.

The 55k hp is a fine amount of health even for final/superbosses, since this game is basically nil on multi-hit attacks and there's no way to exceed the 9999 damage cap (and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to guarantee hitting that cap without quite a bit of grinding). Most of the time, without grinding, you can most easily do between 5 and 8k damage per power move. Even on the low end, that's only 11 or 12 hits to kill a boss, without healing. But since there are so many ways to instakill the group or individuals, you're basically always using at least one character for healing, raising, or other defensive actions.

Plus, battles lasting literally hours is stupid and exhausting. There's no reason for that ridiculousness.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Necron certainly looks feminine to me- big "girl" lips, breasts, etc. Probably mostly to be a reference to Cloud of Darkness, I'm thinking.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I always wondered if Necron was supposed to be the spirit of the Iifa Tree or Soulcage's final form or something. He did say he was immortal.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Fedule posted:

It took some time for us to get here, and even now it's not the most obvious thing in the world due to perspective, but...

...we've finally encountered The Thing In The Background Of The Final Fantasy Logo.

Heck, the back of the box said "The Crystal Comes Back."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Serifina posted:

The 55k hp is a fine amount of health even for final/superbosses, since this game is basically nil on multi-hit attacks and there's no way to exceed the 9999 damage cap (and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to guarantee hitting that cap without quite a bit of grinding). Most of the time, without grinding, you can most easily do between 5 and 8k damage per power move. Even on the low end, that's only 11 or 12 hits to kill a boss, without healing. But since there are so many ways to instakill the group or individuals, you're basically always using at least one character for healing, raising, or other defensive actions.

Sure there is, it's called Dbl Black/White. :smuggo: It's much easier to do with Eiko than Vivi, since Necron has weaknesses to both Wind and Holy.

Alternatively, there's also Charge!. Of course, that's very risky with Necron's plethora of hit-all attacks, but a team of Zidane/Steiner/Freya/Amarant well geared with MP Attack and Bird Killer can rapidly melt through his health.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bird Killer can rapidly melt through his health.

Hahahaha no way

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sure there is, it's called Dbl Black/White. :smuggo: It's much easier to do with Eiko than Vivi, since Necron has weaknesses to both Wind and Holy.

Alternatively, there's also Charge!. Of course, that's very risky with Necron's plethora of hit-all attacks, but a team of Zidane/Steiner/Freya/Amarant well geared with MP Attack and Bird Killer can rapidly melt through his health.

Dbl white/black requires manipulating Trance bars and is a pain in the rear end. The Charge strategy is better, but incredibly risky. But still, that's basically three ways to do multi-hits, and none of the dozens of other methods of dealing damage do.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I don't even care about the deus ex machina nature of Necron, because the music is the best final boss music in any FF game. Yes, that includes One-Winged Angel.

I remember reading that Uematsu is a huge fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer and it's pretty evident in the progressive nature of Necron's music, with the midi-moogs and Hammond-ish organ. Listen to this part of Tarkus and tell me the organ arpeggio wouldn't fit a FF boss fight.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Wugga posted:

I don't even care about the deus ex machina nature of Necron, because the music is the best final boss music in any FF game. Yes, that includes One-Winged Angel.

I remember reading that Uematsu is a huge fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer and it's pretty evident in the progressive nature of Necron's music, with the midi-moogs and Hammond-ish organ. Listen to this part of Tarkus and tell me the organ arpeggio wouldn't fit a FF boss fight.

Honestly OWA is probably the worst final boss music in the series. If you want something grandiose and bombastic Dancing Mad has it beat (and while it's not final boss music, Liberi Fatali does the Carl Orff thing way better), and for prog rock I have to give it to FF8's Maybe I'm a Lion, The Legendary Beast, and The Extreme (these might even be better than FF9's final boss themes).

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Wugga posted:

Oh there's definitely a lot of ELP influence in Uematsu's music. There are a lot of FF pieces where if Greg Lake just wrote some lyrics over the music, you could maybe convince someone it's an outtake of theirs. Conversely, a lot of their stuff wouldn't sound out of place in an FF game at all. Listen to when Trilogy kicks in, it even has the arpeggios that sound like a battle transition.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

George posted:

Honestly OWA is probably the worst final boss music in the series. If you want something grandiose and bombastic Dancing Mad has it beat (and while it's not final boss music, Liberi Fatali does the Carl Orff thing way better), and for prog rock I have to give it to FF8's Maybe I'm a Lion, The Legendary Beast, and The Extreme (these might even be better than FF9's final boss themes).

On the other hand, I think OWA benefits most from the Black Mages treatment. They did The Extreme and Maybe I'm A Lion and Grand Cross but I prefer the original for all of them while "Metal OWA" really improved it. (I also just never liked "Maybe I'm A Lion" period. "The Legendary Beast" is so underrated)

But best FF final boss theme is a tough one. Even tougher if we don't just limit it to the Uematsu FF's. (Hello "Heart of Chaos" from XIII-2. Like Dark Messenger, it's much better than the "real" final boss theme)

Necron is a bitch. I heartily enjoy difficulty mods but Necron in the two FFIX "rebalance" mods I've played is an absolute nightmare. Difficulty on the second mod run was partly my own fault, I thought I'd use Garnet instead of Eiko. That means no Dispel which means Necron regularly hosed me over by putting Wall on and I couldn't do poo poo about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

NikkolasKing posted:

But best FF final boss theme is a tough one. Even tougher if we don't just limit it to the Uematsu FF's. (Hello "Heart of Chaos" from XIII-2. Like Dark Messenger, it's much better than the "real" final boss theme)

It's Dancing Mad. Nothing else can top it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think it counts as a Final Fantasy game technically, but I liked the final boss theme for Bravely Default.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Okay, that was... disappointing?
I'm a bit unsure how to parse my feelings of the end boss here. Sure, whacking Kuja is awesome as ever, but random ancient god of destruction or something out of nowhere? I don't know; it feels so random and out of left field.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

VKing posted:

I'm a bit unsure how to parse my feelings of the end boss here. Sure, whacking Kuja is awesome as ever, but random ancient god of destruction or something out of nowhere? I don't know; it feels so random and out of left field.

Very fitting for the end boss of a nostalgic and reference heavy final fantasy game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

VKing posted:

Welcome to the reason 'pulling a Necron' entered videogame lingo for a while.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Welcome to the reason 'pulling a Necron' entered videogame lingo for a while.

...I have never heard that ever

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Iifa Tree seems to be dying off, while Zidane and company somehow managed to escape from Necron.

What's gonna happen?

What!? Where are they?

The Hilda Garde is probably closer...

Sir! Haagen, Pluto Knight VIII, ma'am!
I didn't ask for your name. Contact the Hilda Garde right away.
Yes, sir, ma'am, sir!

Sire! We're receiving a transmission from the Red Rose!
Punch it up on the main line!

You're not general Beatrix. Who are you?
My name is Mikoto. Everyone is alive. You are very close to them.
What!!!? How do you know?
I can hear him...
Who?

Right on cue, the Hilda Garde just manages to land right where our party is.

SILENCE

Looks like Cid came to rescue us.

Thank heavens, you're all safe! Come quickly! We don't have much time!

At last, it's all over. Time to go home and celebrate.

What's wrong?

I have to take care of something...
What...!?

He can't be...

What!? Wh-What do you mean by that!?
...Kuja's still alive. I can't just leave him.
This is ludicrous. Just because you two are from the same planet doesn't mean-
No, that's not the reason.
Come on, Zidane! Why are you doing this!?
Because...

I probably would've fought against you guys and wreaked havoc in Gaia like he did... I know it sounds crazy...but I know, deep down inside, I have to do this.

But you go help Kuja not good idea. Is too dangerous.
...I can't just leave him. There's no way I could live with myself.

You're making a big mistake!
Maybe... But we all have to make big decisions in life sometimes. For me, now's that time.

That was a big decision for Vivi.

That's what you think, but I might not be doing this if it weren't for you. You've definitely taught me to take life more seriously.

The principle of knighthood requires that one assist his comrade in times of need. I shall accompany you as well!
Whoa, wait a minute.

Besides, you guys have more important things to worry about, like Burmecia and Alexandria.
For once in your life, why can't you be honest!?

You're a real simpleton.

Come on. Let's just leave him and get outta here.

Alright, you heard the man! Get out of here before it's too late!

I still hungry!!! You need come back, take me more places, show me more food!

'Til we meet again.

:siren: :siren:

No... You're not being selfish.

If it weren't for you, I probably would've led a meaningless life.

We faced many hardships, too...but...I think I finally know what's important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9fxJEcmXBs

And as the Hilda Garde takes off...

Dagger and Zidane see each other for what could very well be the last time.

Zidane has one last thing to take care of, though.

Just shut up, and stay where you are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePDCthzbtE

:siren: :siren:

SERIOUSLY WATCH THE ABOVE VIDEO

Zidane has to enter the Iifa Tree, where the roots are currently thrashing about as the Iifa Tree is quickly dying.

So, uh, enjoy these still screenshots of an action sequence! Seriously, watch the video.

Interesting touch to use Zidane's character model overlayed on FMV here considering they've had no issue doing full FMV for action sequences before (namely the Evil Forest escape sequence).

But the model is definitely more than adequate here.

It's also one of the better action cutscenes in this series.

Lots of dynamic movement and camera angles and all that technical poo poo I know little about. It looks cool, that's what matters to me.

Eventually, Zidane makes his way to a giant gaping hole.

Finally finds Kuja...

...and fails to stick the landing.

SILENCE

I guess that was pretty crazy.

What are you doing here? I thought I told you to go...

......Never mind.

Yeah... I knew you had something to do with it.
...I'm glad they made it.
Yeah, well...it's our turn to get movin'.

I'm useless to this world.
No one's useless... You helped us escape, remember?

Then, I finally realized what it means to live...

The roots of the Iifa Tree converge around Zidane and Kuja...

And close in...

-----

Kuja destroyed Terra, brought ruin to Gaia, and nearly destroyed the universe itself. But in the end, was Kuja truly evil? He did everything he did to defy his fate as puppet to Garland, to live his life the way he wanted. When he learned he was fated to die, he panicked and did more unspeakable acts. In the end, there was a good person underneath all that hatred, and even someone as despicable as Kuja can bring hope to those like the genomes, who are now left alone to find their own place in this world.

Next time, the epilogue and final update of Final Fantasy IX.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really love how Quina can alternate between being a joke character and being serious. Being a creature that lives on impulse, Quina probably can understand Zidane's desire to follow his impulses pretty well right here.

I also love Steiner retreating to the sidelines to give Zidane and Garnet a moment. :allears:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Kuja took a page out of Roy's book in the end, it seems.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I can't believe Zidane is loving dead.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dragonatrix posted:

Necron's not some guy appearing out of nowhere trying to destroy the crystal. Notice how it's behind Kuja during that fight. When Kuja uses Ultima, it notably does not deal any damage; it just kills everyone and destroys the Crystal. You're fighting Necron because you're already dead and he's the guy that sorts the souls.

Not the Crystal. Necron explicitly says that HE is going to destroy the crystal.

What you said however is part of one the theories I most like (and thus should be considered canon by everyone :colbert:)

Kuja manages to kill your party with that last Ultima. Necron is none other than the "other side of the Iifa Tree" that Garland alluded to back in Terra, the side in charge of sorting the souls out. When Necron is defeated, the Iifa Tree stops working.

The only problem with this theory is explaining how was Kuja able to bring the party back to life, but oh well, details :shrug:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

lezard_valeth posted:

The only problem with this theory is explaining how was Kuja able to bring the party back to life, but oh well, details :shrug:

Considering Necron is something of a Death analogue (the metaphorical character of Death, not the actual thing) it's easy enough to think that since the party beat Necron, they invoke the trope of 'defeating Death at his own game and winning your life back.'

My only issue with the theory is Kuja's Ultima breaking the Crystal, as Necron says he's the one who's going to actually do that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Actually, it turns out that Zidane was mortally wounded back when he confronted Garland, and everything from the "You Are Not Alone" sequence on is him having a dying hallucination where suddenly he's the most important person in the world and everyone likes him and nothing makes sense anymore and furthermore, because I read An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge back in high school, the parallels to that seminal work of literature are readily apparent and :words:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
RIP Kuja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBBn8YFNEs

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Got here an update too late.

The first (and only time) I beat FFIX Necron had wiped out everybody in my party with Grand Cross except Vivi who was Berserked. Rather than resetting I stuck it out to see what would happen. Thanks to how poorly this game negotiates the ATB with battle animations, Necron could not kill Vivi because his animations are so long and Auto Regen kept Vivi's HP topped up. Several turns went by until Necron did so much damage to Vivi that he tranced, breaking the Berserk and enabling me to revive the party and finish him off.

And that was the second time in the game a last-minute Trance from Vivi saved my bacon (first time was against Tantarian)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I never got why they used Zidane's overworld model for this sequence. I guess budget or somethin. It definitely aged better than it could have since IX's models are still pretty expressive, but it's still bizarre.

Speaking of expressive, I never noticed Zidane's face at the end of that FMV, where he closes his eyes and gets all serious. That's cool cuz he otherwise never changes expression ever in the FMVs. :v:

George posted:

OWA's problem is it's a completely new theme out of nowhere, unlike where Dancing Mad plays off Kefka's letimotif used several times before which gives it more punch (Birth of a God at least used a theme present in Sephiroth's scenes, along with other FFinal boss music staples). FFVIII's final boss themes are fuckin rock solid and if they were attached to an antagonist with more impact it'd be an amazing finale. It's still a pretty good sequence, just kinda there without the music.

OCR gives us the best of both worlds, combining OWA and Dancing Mad into one! Until this The Black Mages' version of Dancing Mad was my go-to version, which interestingly enough one of my parents compared to ELP when they heard it years ago, with no background in FF music. That was rad.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 20, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zeikier posted:

OWA's problem is it's a completely new theme out of nowhere, unlike where Dancing Mad plays off Kefka's letimotif used several times before which gives it more punch (Birth of a God at least used a theme present in Sephiroth's scenes, along with other FFinal boss music staples). FFVIII's final boss themes are fuckin rock solid and if they were attached to an antagonist with more impact it'd be an amazing finale. It's still a pretty good sequence, just kinda there without the music.

I don't know about nowhere - the synth vocal parts of Those Chosen by the Planet bear a resemblance to the "Sors Imanis, Et Inanis" section of One Winged Angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rV40ypje7o&list=PLFB0A073EC1EA03F6&index=52

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My main gripes with OWA are that its melodies are repetitive and sound half-finished and that its lyrics are literally ripped verbatim from the Carmina Burana. It was an exploratory stab at something, but because it was a new leap technically we were all blown away by it.

Dancing Mad is legit godlike, and like I said Liberi Fatali proves that Uematsu could really kill it if he worked at it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna start work on the last update now. Ten more replies for the next page would be great since there's eleven different GIFs for this one (including what was one of my all-time favorites to do)!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The best part of that FMV is the dramatic pan between Zidane and Kuja as the former completely botches the landing. :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
That's it, this LP has been so amazing that I'm replaying this game. I have a Vita I play occasionally, and an unopened PS4 that's been in my closet for five months (having two kids is really killing my gaming time). My PC is on its last legs so I'd rather not go Steam. What's the best way to play FFIX? I'm guessing PSN on my PS4?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Without Steam then the best way is probably on the Vita.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And here I thought there being two updates left of the LLG would mean I would have some time to enjoy Pokemon Sun before this LP ended. :ohdear:

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015
One update too late, but until this LP I always assumed Kuja destroyed the crystal with that last Ultima and Necron would pretty much show up as the clean-up guy who makes sure everything is returned to nothingness right and proper afterwards.
Zidane rushing towards certain doom to be with Kuja in his last moments also never made sense to me until you pointed out it's actually Kuja who's saving the party after defeating Necron.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

AlphaKretin posted:

The best part of that FMV is the dramatic pan between Zidane and Kuja as the former completely botches the landing. :allears:

Especially the part where it just freezes right as they look at each other, where you can clearly see the "poo poo." going through Zidane's mind just before he drops.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

It reminds me of the very beginning of Breath of Fire IV where Nina slips off a cliff and Ryu jumps down to try and save her. A few moments of dramatic music and action shots later lead to a panning shot as Ryu falls past a hovering Nina with her functional wings. Although Ryu's moment is more of an "Oh poo poo, she can do that?"

I think he stuck he landing even worse than Zidane.

Zidane didn't land on his face, so I'm with you there.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 20, 2016

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Bufuman posted:

Especially the part where it just freezes right as they look at each other, where you can clearly see the "poo poo." going through Zidane's mind just before he drops.

It reminds me of the very beginning of Breath of Fire IV where Nina slips off a cliff and Ryu jumps down to try and save her. A few moments of dramatic music and action shots later lead to a panning shot as Ryu falls past a hovering Nina with her functional wings. Although Ryu's moment is more of an "Oh poo poo, she can do that?"

I think he stuck he landing even worse than Zidane.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of sad to see this LP ending. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted: