Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Night10194 posted:

Warpstone: Not even once.

I've played whfrp set in Morhedeim. This is good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
poo poo a mordheim crossover with vermin tide would be cool

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man I had forgotten, in my lust for using the Zweihander, just how goddamn fun Saltzpyre's Rapier is.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Night10194 posted:

Man I had forgotten, in my lust for using the Zweihander, just how goddamn fun Saltzpyre's Rapier is.

Why do people like the Zwei so much? I don't begrudge anyone loving it, but with the rapier I've got armor piercing headshot charge attacks that come out as fast as the normal melee for most weapons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NeurosisHead posted:

Why do people like the Zwei so much? I don't begrudge anyone loving it, but with the rapier I've got armor piercing headshot charge attacks that come out as fast as the normal melee for most weapons.

It just clicks with me. I find it the absolute easiest weapon to avoid getting hit while using and avoiding damage is the key to all ratfight.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Melee headshots are a nightmare trying to land reliably, especially for the rapier for me. Like it hits their back as the blade clips through the head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NeurosisHead posted:

Two handed damage bonus contracts come up almost every day making the Zwei really good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Two handed damage bonus contracts come up almost every day making the Zwei really good.

2h doesn't mean two-handed, it means two hours. The damage bonus applies to all weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mzbundifund posted:

2h doesn't mean two-handed, it means two hours. The damage bonus applies to all weapons.

Oooooh.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Vastly better CC and crowd killing potential than the rapier.

The rapier is still good on cataclysm but suffers big time when a normal attack headshot no longer kills a clan rat.

Although with a crossbow you're best off taking the rapier no matter what, as it becomes your only way to knock gutter runners off people at range.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 18, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The three achievements based on the coming Dwarf DLC maps are in the profile now. Probably a release in the next week or two.

Also I want to say since I saw one of the three heroes in Total Warhammer for the upcoming Wood Elf DLC is a Waystalker, apparently better than regular Waywatchers. This proves Kerillian is just a puny punk Waywatcher who sucks hahahaha lame.

gently caress elves

etc

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASBh2mcd30

Looks like it may work pretty well. I always wanted to try the game out like that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You're doing Sigmar's work, friend.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've been playing a bunch again lately and it's still good fun, if not moreso now that good new weapons are plentiful and don't require me to roll a perfect 7/7.

I also got a nice new hat with a little pig on top of it for dorf. :toot:

Lunethex posted:

:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASBh2mcd30

Looks like it may work pretty well. I always wanted to try the game out like that.

This is also pretty kickass and I want it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played in third person for about 15 seconds when the game screwed up and left the camera in "inspect camera" mode at the start of a level. Wanted to try playing like that if possible. That mod has already gone the extra mile of doing over the shoulder camera too.

Although I'm not sure over the shoulder would be great as a default camera angle in this game because you won't be able to see rats hitting you from the left as easily as on the right.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm playing the Closed Beta for the Dwarf DLC. The game crashed when an ogre spawned 10 seconds into the map.

I have now crashed 4 times. Three because of ogre spawning and some arithmetic error, and one because the sack rat died to poison.

Fatshark come on

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 19, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is this not exactly the reason they have betas?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Ratling gunners still slide

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
so four crashes for lunrthex... around once a week for everyone else, then?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Nanomashoes confirmed bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_31TtsrE0vo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Based on the Q&C beta I fully expect several of these to come out of the beta unchanged

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so four crashes for lunrthex... around once a week for everyone else, then?

I have a hard time being worried about crashes when you're using cheat engine to break the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does regrowth roll per rat damaged or per rat hit?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digirat posted:

I think it is per hit. If it was per damage, you could heal a fuckload you used a wide swing weapon that somehow procced on each damaged rat.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

But the wide swinging weapons specifically have worse % tied to them. So it probably works like you said but they intended the opposite because HEALING DRAUGHT HERE

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh so wide swing weapons list lower %s to trigger health on hit? I haven't played enough to observe if that is the case myself, but I was idly wondering if this game had hidden proc coefficients Diablo-style to account for how a weapon might swing faster or hit more rats than others. Like I got a rapier with 15% to kill on hit which seems pretty sick actually given rapier speed.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Digirat posted:

So, I don't have a conclusive answer, but today I tried a game each with kruber sword/shield and greathammer, each with 3% (maxxed) regrowth on charged attack. The sword/shield was procing rather frequently, the greathammer I think procced once or twice in an entire drachenfels run. So this might vary by weapon, because fatshark

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The only way you're going to get a conclusive answer is to hack Regrowth to work 100% of the time and then put yourself in situations where you can hit a variable number of rats; it's impossible to get a clean look at what's going on until you take it to that level. Doing that is possible, of course, but it's non-trivial to set up and pull off. I might do it sometime before I die (but no promises).

Speaking of Regrowth, something that's been bugging me for a while is whether one should value Regrowth over Bloodlust, so I sat down for a bit this evening to think about it. The inherent problem, of course, is trying to equate two unlike things (strikes vs kills), but considering that time to kill is really important in this game, individual evaluations aren't hard.

So given that, I'm gonna assume an individual rat basis where you have 3 strikes to kill, because at 4+ you're not really in the game to kill these things and Bloodlust makes no sense on its face. Consequently, you're essentially looking at a binomial distribution to compare these two things. Just so I don't bloat up this post with tons of math nerd poo poo, I'll just link a loving calculator and be done with it.

The overall goal is for us to get 10 health out of a specific rat.

For Bloodlust, this is a one shot 10% chance, so we have:
Probability of success on a single trial: .1
Number of trials: 1
Number of successes: 1

This unsurprisingly shows we have a 10% chance of getting 10 health out of a rat.

With Bloodlust, we have three shots at a 10% chance, but we need two of them. So this is:
Probability of success on a single trial: .1
Number of trials: 3
Number of successes: 2

Which shows a probability of 0.027 (or 2.7%) chance of getting 10 health out of a rat, with a .001 (or 0.1%) chance of getting 15 health out of a rat. But we also have a 0.243 (or 24.3%) chance of getting 5 health out of a rat.

The expected formula value to normalize all this poo poo is to take each result's probability (p) and multiply it by its result (r), which in algebraic terms looks like: R[n] = p1r1 + p2r2 + ... pnrn

In our case, this looks like: R[n] = .243*(5) + .027*(10) + .001*(15) + .729*0 => 1.5 expected health per 3-strike kill for Regrowth.

For 2-strike kills, Regrowth does worse, but theoretically still matches Bloodlust; R[n] = .18(5) + .01(10) + .81(0) => 1 expected health per 2-strike kill.

The thing that these numbers are concealing, of course, is that Regrowth only rolls when you use one of your two attacks at your disposal. Bloodlust does not care which attacks you use, only that you killed a rat. So Regrowth will perform proportionally worse dependent on the number of attacks you throw of the type it likes. For some weapons, like Kerillian's dual wields or Saltzpyre's rapier, this isn't a huge problem because one of your attacks does most of the work. But for something like Bardin's axe and shield or Kruber's two handed mace, it completely fucks the chances straight to hell because you're not even rolling half the time.

The other thing that gets concealed here is that not all rats are created equal. Slave rats are almost always over a breakpoint when compared to clan rats (that is to say, slave rats can be killed in x hits by some weapon, but clanrats take y hits). And again, you need to be clear on what you're going to be primarily facing. Ostensibly it's close to 50/50 with a slight favor toward clanrats (since slaves only show up in horde events), but on the ground it's always different. The quicker characters like Kerillian and Saltzpyre will generally eat up more clan-rats while the tankier Krubers and Bardins are charging up their shields to punch them in the face.

The last thing to be aware of is exactly how bad you need that chance parity to maintain good output. On a 3-strike kill with a 5% chance instead of 10% (which is standard for a lot of charged attack stats), Regrowth looks like this:
R[n] = .135*(5) + .007*(10) + .0001*(15) => 0.74 expected health per 3-strike kill.

You basically need a 5-strike kill to get back up to parity with Bloodlust. The 3% chance you get on the sword and board weapons you need closer to 8.

So what's the point behind all this poo poo dude
The point is that the most useful thing your weapon is going to do for you, in general, is heal you. Staying healthy is basically the ONLY thing in this game. Preventing damage is difficult and comes with some high opportunity costs in many cases, but healing is close to ubiquitous. You should carefully consider how your weapon is going to fulfill this role, and it's going to vary from weapon to weapon and play style to play style. Some of the relevant questions to ask yourself:

1) Which type of rat are you going to see more of? If you're rocking a sword and board of some sort, you are almost certainly going to see more slave rats. If you've got a more blender type of weapon, clan rats are going to be more your bread and butter.
2) What is my strikes to kill on clan and slave rats? You should be aware of both, and also aware of how it changes from difficulty to difficulty. Gearing specifically for Cataclysm is not smart unless you intend to play it predominantly. If your strikes to kill is less than 3 you almost certainly want Bloodlust. 3 is a toss-up based on other questions. 4+, Regrowth almost certainly makes more sense.
3) How varied is your fighting style? If you only use your power attack on one or two specials, then Regrowth makes a lot of sense. If you commonly switch up attacks, Bloodlust is your buddy.
4) Can you get a decent proc chance on Regrowth? Remember that Bloodlust is ALWAYS 3-10% chance, on any weapon, any time. Regrowth chances vary from weapon to weapon. If your chosen attack ends up with a 3% chance to proc (sword and board charged attacks), then Regrowth isn't even worth considering.

If you want this even more simply, if you're in doubt on what to get, get Bloodlust. Regrowth CAN perform but it requires a lot of ifs and ands to make it work. There's a good number of weapons where Regrowth is great (and a number of those weapons are some of the best in the game), but you should understand what you're doing before you pursue it. Bloodlust is simpler to make work - you just have to keep killing rats.

The other thing to consider, of course, is whether or not you can get Bloodlust and the other stuff you actually want on your weapon. Remember that the modifiers on each weapon are not actually random, there are about ~200 varieties of each weapon with hand-picked modifiers. Check Verminguide to figure out what is possible and what isn't before you go spending ore trying to get your dream weapon.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 20, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it is per hit. If it was per damage, you could heal a fuckload you used a wide swing weapon that somehow procced on each damaged rat.

Most weapons hit a far greater number of rats than they damage (sometimes "any number of rats", in the case of shields which only actually damage 1 rat per charge attack or greathammers which only damage 2 rats per charge attack).

If this is accurate, the answer is it triggers per-hit on everything except shield charge attacks. Which means the red sword and shield having regrowth on charge attack for 3% is kind of rear end. Just like it having perfect balance is also kind of rear end.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_22AmKZtVd2nngEEPRxZau5AVgffiS5XMB34V5UnFY/edit#gid=897382659

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 20, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A comment from coolguye made me think about trinket balance, and I realized that basically all the best trinkets in the game are ones with guaranteed effects: Potion share, health share, the grimoire trinket, the proud star of soviet sisters, etc. I am a strong proponent of the cylindrical box but that's partly because it gives you your dupes in advance of when you need them, so you know what items you have to work with in any situation. The trinkets that give you a chance to dupe on use can sometimes really help you out, but there's no denying that they just don't make as much of a difference as something you can count on being there every time, and that fundamentally changes your strategy like potion share and health share do.

It would be interesting if those % chance-to-work trinkets instead were deterministic, such as the bomb dupe being guaranteed to work on your first bomb of the level, or on each bomb you throw every X minutes or something (with higher rarities of the trinket giving a lower cooldown). Potion dupe chance could instead give greater potion duration or stronger effect or something. I dunno, it would be more fun to build around these things if you knew they could work and could strategize around them. I enjoy doing "builds" like rainbow fish/twig/silver dove, or gunnery school guide/engineer's tools, but not all of those trinkets are even guaranteed to work.

Also, the best most hilarious buff for that terrible "respawn faster" trinket would be to make it respawn you already standing. But still way out in the level by yourself. Go get em, cowboy :frog:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Reviving alive would be insanely good on shorter objective missions like wheat and chaff since the walk back would be fairly short and you wouldn't divide the team's attention to grab you. It would also probably hilariously break some levels since you could ostensibly do stuff like dying early/in waves on Horn to pass the gate bombing event.

What I'm saying is, totes do it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What about a trinket that turns bombs into improved bombs when you throw them?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Improved bombs are no different than regular bombs tbh.

I'll take a look at the dump to be sure.

e. Yeah they all do the same damage and there's no improvement to any of the stats. I'm pretty sure there's a couple threads cobwebbed on the steam forum for the game saying as much.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 21, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So woke RN

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is still a blue-only trinket that prevents you from being interrupted while reviving people, even after they said blocking while reviving was officially a feature

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Modding is great.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

First melee drop for Kerillian and it was an orange sword and dagger with bloodlust, swift slaying, and perfect balance.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the cool and informative post, Coolguye.

Do you need DLC to be able to take those DLC contracts on the board? In other words, may I join a Drachenfel owner's game and accept those stupid Easy key contracts that keep being shut behind Sigmar-cursed DLC levels, without myself owning Drachenfel?

I fear DLC-locked keys are gonna get realllll obnoxious once dwarf DLC hits and they already piss me off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can do everything DLC-related without owning the DLC, except for host games on those maps and accept contracts for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You also can't join games currently hosting DLC maps through the lobby browser. You have to join a lobby currently hosting a vanilla map and then already be in the group when the host picks a DLC map for the next map. You can join a DLC map through a steam friend, but not through the lobby browser.

• Locked thread