Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Platystemon posted:

Most people have never heard of magical realism, and of those that have, not all have a favourable opinion of it.

It’s a dumb slogan.

The slogan that actually refers to a country's genuine and widely recognised artistic achievement is dumb. "Colombia - a place to be", now there's a slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Also 100 Years of Solitude is, like, one of the most famous books of the whole 20th century. Like, what

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Also 100 Years of Solitude is, like, one of the most famous books of the whole 20th century. Like, what

It's not written by Ayn Rand, Hitler, or George Martin, so goons don't recognize it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all sure have a high opinion of the average tourist.

In my experience, they aren’t the most well‐read sort.

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not written by Ayn Rand, Hitler, or George Martin, so goons don't recognize it.

You forgot J. K. Rowling.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I reckon the average tourist in Colombia is a fellow Spanish speaker and will thus very likely understand the reference.

e: oh I didn't realise JC said the same thing already.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I have to admire Tanzania's straightforwardness.

"Look, these are the things that are here. Take them or leave them."

e: El Salvador, I'm not quite sure you understand the purpose of this exercise.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 18, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Erm, I don't think Hungary thought that one through.

Also Portugal :effort:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Nigeria: great country but the inhabitants don't quite meet expectations

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Albino Squirrel posted:

I guess "I feel SLOVEnia" is supposed to emphasize "love", but capitalizing the S just makes it look like "I feel slovenly!"

Maybe they should go all in on that, advertise Slovenia as the tourist hub where you don't need to dress up. Come to Slovenia, we don't care if you don't bother to change out of your pajamas and stained sweatpants!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

I guess "I feel SLOVEnia" is supposed to emphasize "love", but capitalizing the S just makes it look like "I feel slovenly!"

Yeah, the 'S' isn't supposed to be capitalized there (I see their ads all the time when I watch ski racing on TV) and on top of that they make the "LOVE" part really stand out more.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"Slovenia: I am already eating from this trashcan all the time"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

"Slovenia: I am already eating from this trashcan all the time"
:perfect:

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Nigeria: great country but the inhabitants don't quite meet expectations
A lot of the ex-pats would agree. That's probably because a lot of the ex-pats from there to the West are the wealthy ones who are classist as gently caress though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ras Het posted:

I reckon the average tourist in Colombia is a fellow Spanish speaker and will thus very likely understand the reference.

e: oh I didn't realise JC said the same thing already.

Colombia is a huge tourist destination for Isrealis, Australians and cheap Europeans going on Stag trips or just saving money on cocaine. Had this Australian lady explain how flying and staying in Colombia for a weekend to drink and coke up was still cheaper than staying home.

So magical realism fits.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Slovakia's was someone mistaking the marginal notes for the proposed slogan.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Beautiful Burundi
Remarkable Rwanda
Unbelievable Uganda You're welcome

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Thought Switzerland's said "Get Neutral" for a minute.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

frankenfreak posted:

Beautiful Burundi
Remarkable Rwanda
Unbelievable Uganda You're welcome
Ur Welcome Uganda

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Finally a useful map

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Faulty map, fails to acknowledge that Finland was a part of Sweden and supplied most? of the soldiers for some of that.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Pretty sure the Golden Horde wasn't based in modern-day Mongolia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Belarus looks like a good neighbour, but it cheats by being part of other belligerents or Lithuania itself for long periods of history.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Lithuania looks pretty salty about that whole crusade thing still.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm pretty sure there must have been at least one Irish knight in one of the orders or at least some in the British detachment

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I have it lying around here somewhere, I should get around to reading it. My Spanish is middling so I hope it's not too difficult.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
To celebrate the eminent reign of Donald J. Trump, here's the world in its full post-climate change splendor. Yes, a few people will have to move, but Germans will be able to enjoy a nice tropical beach resort without ever leaving Germany. Gonna have to go to Antarctica to go skiing though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Florida and South-East England both improved.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
At least the Aral gets restored :unsmith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd be the perfect opportunity for the countries of the Mediterranean and North Africa to implement Atlantropa. They could even leave the Med at the height it is.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To celebrate the eminent reign of Donald J. Trump, here's the world in its full post-climate change splendor. Yes, a few people will have to move, but Germans will be able to enjoy a nice tropical beach resort without ever leaving Germany. Gonna have to go to Antarctica to go skiing though.

Wanna play that map in Civ.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Honestly it looks like a big improvement

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germans will be able to enjoy a nice tropical beach resort without ever leaving Germany

brb, doing donuts with my humvee until I can finally enjoy a nice beach vacation without all those pesky foreigners

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Jungles of Australia and Saudi-Arabia.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why is Saudi Arabia a jungle?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Xander77 posted:

Aurelio Bertiglia's WWI chibis.

You (probably don't) remember Bertiglia as the author of the "my little fascist" series of WWII chibis. But back during WWI, his style wasn't quite developed, and since Italy was on the side of the allies he was happy to slag the Austrians and Germans, just as he would go on to happily depicting the chibi Brits making GBS threads themselves at being bombed.

Rest of the set: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758235&perpage=40&pagenumber=1183#post466612011

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In the 2004 presidential election, $127 was spent on ad-buys in Texas.

That's not a typo.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Literally

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Honestly it looks like a big improvement
Yeah, it only seems like a negative because we've gotten trapped in the illusion that our current climate is optimal.

HorseRenoir posted:

Why is Saudi Arabia a jungle?
A warmer climate will likely shift the Hadley cells, allowing greater low pressures over the Arabian Peninsula which can bring in much needed rain. Basically a full-scale version of the monsoon in Oman. It's basically a restoration of the climate before the world cooled and entered this cycle of ice ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I shudder to think what the flooding of the Amazon River basin will do to biodiversity, though.