Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

I'm here in Boston. Lots of changes to that card. Roddy Strong just had a hell of a match with Cedric Alexander, opener was No Way Jose and TM61 vs Sanity, Oney Lorcan faced Sampson, Liv Morgan faced Nikki Cross. Bobby Roode seems like he's the odd man out :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

I'm here in Boston. Lots of changes to that card. Roddy Strong just had a hell of a match with Cedric Alexander, opener was No Way Jose and TM61 vs Sanity, Oney Lorcan faced Sampson, Liv Morgan faced Nikki Cross. Bobby Roode seems like he's the odd man out :smith:
Is the crowd as bad as it looks because it looked pretty empty from pictures I've seen before bell time

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Is the crowd as bad as it looks because it looked pretty empty from pictures I've seen before bell time

The floor is full, and the three sections directly facing the sides of the ring are full but everything else is empty. We're getting the women's title triple threat that NYC got right now

Edit: we're getting Roode-Dillinger!

That was really fun.

Rogue Copter Pilot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 18, 2016

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NXT fans are the worst.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't really understand all the negativity this forum has toward NXT these days. The complaints literally shift week-by-week as a previous complaint gets addressed and suddenly the real problem with the show is the opposite of what it used to be.

Their time management kind of blows, I'll give you that. The build toward Toronto felt pretty much done the week Joe and Nakamura had their pull apart brawl and things have stretched since then. And if there are three pointless filler episodes after Toronto I'm going to be pissed. But the content is great and I really don't understand where most of you are coming from when you say things like the Tag Division is thin or the week-by-week shows don't feel like they're building toward anything or that Joe and Nakamura are "too good."

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

I don't really understand all the negativity this forum has toward NXT these days. The complaints literally shift week-by-week as a previous complaint gets addressed and suddenly the real problem with the show is the opposite of what it used to be.

Their time management kind of blows, I'll give you that. The build toward Toronto felt pretty much done the week Joe and Nakamura had their pull apart brawl and things have stretched since then. And if there are three pointless filler episodes after Toronto I'm going to be pissed. But the content is great and I really don't understand where most of you are coming from when you say things like the Tag Division is thin or the week-by-week shows don't feel like they're building toward anything or that Joe and Nakamura are "too good."

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

Wrestling fans are pretty embarrassing you guys

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We're so much better than them.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

We're so much better than them.

I didn't exclude myself from that

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I didn't exclude myself from that

I did. You are good.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wrestling fans are pretty embarrassing you guys

That's why I'm a fan of Sports Entertainment :smug:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's why I'm a fan of Sports Entertainment :smug:

I'm in the wrasslin' business! :D

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Good night at NXT Boston, few really great matches, but they were obviously saving people for Toronto. Alexander/Strong was fantastic, Roode/Dillinger was really entertaining, and the Main Event was fun with a few really good spots. Went with my non fan family and they all had a really good time, my sister complained about feeling left out of the chants, and I had to explain why people "Whoo"'d on chops. Crowd was good despite the place not being nearly full, and we had really good seats right over the lower exit so completely unobstructed view. All in all would highly recommend.

E: Also Wilder tried to too sweet after Joe's entrance and Joe pulled his arm down, was pretty great.

That Which Squeaks fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 18, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm excited for Takeover. Paul Ellering on a pole!

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

Peyton Royce and Billie Kay dragged the women's match down. I really wanna see Asuka vs Ember Moon one on one some day.

Alexander/Strong was match of the night easy

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Didn't get to post yesterday, but from the NYC show I really feel like Sanity is finding their footing more in the gimmicks. Cross is using some black face paint similar to Charlize Therons character in Mad Max. The guys are finding little character quirks that make them seem a little less like they're acting crazy and making them seem like they're actually crazy instead of just slamming their coats identically.
Plus they used all used some different moves that seemed to fit their characters a little more.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really wanna see Asuka vs Ember Moon one on one some day.

It's good

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I actually like Sanity. It's silly but it's that perfect piece of wrestling silliness. I wish their music had a harder edge to it though. I like the idea of making it sound disjointed but I feel like it's missing something.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The_Rob posted:

I actually like Sanity. It's silly but it's that perfect piece of wrestling silliness. I wish their music had a harder edge to it though. I like the idea of making it sound disjointed but I feel like it's missing something.

intermittent fart noises.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

intermittent fart noises.

I think that would def put it over the top for me. Wwe hire RGL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Sanity will ultimately succeed or fail based on how fast Fulton and Wolfe develop. They've been anonymous jobbers forever, and still kinda wrestle with that mentality that they're not supposed to win or feel important. Hopefully a push and newfound purpose on the show will help boost their confidence, and give us reactions beyond "oh, it's Sawyer Fulton" when they're in the ring.

Maybe that'll happen, maybe it won't, but NXT has surprised us before. Jason Jordan was almost a lost cause before he teamed up with Gable, and now he's earning main-roster checks. Tye Dillinger escaped the "C.J. Parker Spot" to become an actual character with actual feuds. There's precedent for unexpected magic to happen here, so I'll be rooting for the light to eventually turn on with Fulton and Wolfe.

But not Angelo Dawkins. He just sucks.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

I think Sanity will ultimately succeed or fail based on how fast Fulton and Wolfe develop. They've been anonymous jobbers forever, and still kinda wrestle with that mentality that they're not supposed to win or feel important. Hopefully a push and newfound purpose on the show will help boost their confidence, and give us reactions beyond "oh, it's Sawyer Fulton" when they're in the ring.

Maybe that'll happen, maybe it won't, but NXT has surprised us before. Jason Jordan was almost a lost cause before he teamed up with Gable, and now he's earning main-roster checks. Tye Dillinger escaped the "C.J. Parker Spot" to become an actual character with actual feuds. There's precedent for unexpected magic to happen here, so I'll be rooting for the light to eventually turn on with Fulton and Wolfe.

But not Angelo Dawkins. He just sucks.

I don't really have any doubt Sanity will pull it out. Eric Young is a workhorse and a gimmick expert on nearly unparalleled versatility, if he can't get them to figure it out they can't learn and I feel like they would have been filtered before this if they were that bad. Plus they have the crazy lady and she seems great. She's kind of going at it too hard right now, like how Dana used to do her dumb sexy pose five times per entrance, but once she pumps the brakes I think she'll be right on point.

I actually like Dawkins as an obnoxious lower-midcard heel. His lovely nearly-nonsensical catchphrases and taunts, and the fact that he seems to keep adding more and more on every week, is oddly endearing as a parody of modern PERSONAL BRAND focused athletes. NXT will always need a whipping boy jobber. The only real problem with him in that role is he's a bit large for it, and if he's obnoxious enough it won't matter.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The best thing about Angelo Dawkins is when Corey Graves got indignant about him calling himself "the curse of greatness" when he hadn't even won a televised match. Corey ranting about obnoxious heels is the best.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BigBeardDamo/status/799696351206449153

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/799801196907143169 Someone draw a Venn Diagram of Nikki Cross, Ember Moon and Mary Dobson’s look and gimmick please. https://twitter.com/waynemason/status/799828295948861441 https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/799814997723398145

rovert fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 19, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I missed you Jacky boy :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I feel like someone on the writing team just watched Fury Road and was like "oh poo poo, this Furiosa gimmick is money. WE GOTTA HAVE ALL OUR NEW WOMEN TALENT BE FURIOSA."

I am not complaining in the least, by the way.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

I feel like someone on the writing team just watched Fury Road and was like "oh poo poo, this Furiosa gimmick is money. WE GOTTA HAVE ALL OUR NEW WOMEN TALENT BE FURIOSA."

I am not complaining in the least, by the way.

Ember Moon isn't Furiosa, she's Werewolf Glacier, get it right.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/799852901258629120

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Can't believe how much that house show at MSG was. Good lower bowl tickets for Takeover tonight were like $30.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
NXT has the benefit of not being watered down with gimmick PPVs so they really feel special when they happen (The Neville/Dallas Ladder Match, the Bayley/Banks Last Woman Standing, and the Joe/Balor cage match). They have plenty of opportunity to tell great stories without much meddling from Vince, they have weeks of TV between Takeover shows to build great feuds and yet, they don't do hardly any of this.

Feuds like Samoa Joe's feel like they start to drag on because there's months between Takeover events and every episode of NXT TV is taped well in advance and feels like filler for the next Takeover. Champions like Asuka start to pleateu because they're not building anyone up nearly quick enough to put on a compelling program despite having tons of time in between Takeover events. Guys like Andrade Cien Almas aren't getting over because despite the amount of time they're given to work with, they're taping 4+ weeks of TV in the same area which allow much room to grow if they're in front of the same crowd that's completely indifferent to them.

NXT is probably dropping in popularity because the Writer who made it worth watching has moved on to Smackdown (Which is now great and worth watching). Everything fills like two months of filler between NXT Takeover events. They need to do something with writing and quick because it's making me pretty indifferent towards people like Nakamura, Joe, Roode, and Asuka because there's just....Nothing happening. For comparison, it's like watching Smackdown last year. The show is there, and sometimes a thing will happen but it's basically just filler until the next RAW.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think the lesson they came away with from the Ward era was "old school is good school", but they forgot that territorial wrestling could be dull as hell too.

Much as I dislike Full Sail, I'm not wholly convinced that they're to blame for guys not getting over. One of the things Ward was great at doing was manipulating the Full Sail crowd into caring about alignment and gimmick, the way SD has been using Ellsworth to get Styles over as a heel despite being the best wrestler in the company. NXT can suspend Paul Ellering in a cage but they can't make TM61 into hot babyfaces. The tournament structure was fun but it also prevented them from really building heat on the faces.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is Paul Ellering in a cage the WWE's first venture back into highwire acts since Owen? You'd think it wouldn't be worth the price of a lovely Mattel playset to get back into the world of independent contractors as untrained stuntmen dropping from the rafters in hastily rigged road gear. But what do I know.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's so meta that the playset came out a while ago and advertised that cage "As seen on NXT Takeover" and the build-up to using that cage was TM61 seeing the playset and suggesting it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

It's so meta that the playset came out a while ago and advertised that cage "As seen on NXT Takeover" and the build-up to using that cage was TM61 seeing the playset and suggesting it.

Were people not confused by that being written on the plaster before this match got booked?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Put Damo in the cruiserweight division

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think the lesson they came away with from the Ward era was "old school is good school", but they forgot that territorial wrestling could be dull as hell too.

Much as I dislike Full Sail, I'm not wholly convinced that they're to blame for guys not getting over. One of the things Ward was great at doing was manipulating the Full Sail crowd into caring about alignment and gimmick, the way SD has been using Ellsworth to get Styles over as a heel despite being the best wrestler in the company. NXT can suspend Paul Ellering in a cage but they can't make TM61 into hot babyfaces. The tournament structure was fun but it also prevented them from really building heat on the faces.

TM61 would be excellent douchey playboy heels. They are awful babyfaces. Really hoping they score the upset over Authors of Pain and then go on to feud with champions DIY.

For what it's worth, I've been meh on NXT since the last Takeover show, but just watched the hype vids on Youtube and now I'm really fired up for the show. They do an excellent job of getting the matches over for anyone who has been like me and kind of out on it. I can't wait for this Dillinger/Roode match now and to see Asuka go full on heel and break Mickey James.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Being in Canada I suspect Roode/Dillinger is going to get a huge response tonight.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is Paul Ellering in a cage the WWE's first venture back into highwire acts since Owen? You'd think it wouldn't be worth the price of a lovely Mattel playset to get back into the world of independent contractors as untrained stuntmen dropping from the rafters in hastily rigged road gear. But what do I know.

I'm pretty sure the two things are wildly different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure the two things are wildly different

That really depends on how high up they hoist old Paul, doesn't it?

• Locked thread