Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i use lastpass and i dont give a gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lastpass fuckin owns

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
rear end pass

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

poty posted:

cant believe anyone uses either when macos/ios have the icloud shared keychain and a password generator built into safari

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol what do you mean "get away with"? the definition of capitalism is "pay as little and charge as much as you can get away with"

yeah, certainly, but it is a pretty rare circumstance to have your customer cheering for your profit margins as they buy your products though, but there is some kind of genius still in play in that they can price the new mbps so incredibly high

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 19, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, certainly, but it is a pretty rare circumstance to have your customer cheering for your profit margins are they buy your products though, but there is some kind of genius still in play in that they can price the new mbps so incredibly high

modern branding science is p hosed up and soulless people need status signifiers and ways to show membership in something in this terrible wasteland of a society.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
apple is doing great which means all you mac book haters are dead wrong

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

apple is doing great which means all you mac book haters are dead wrong

right right, heard you the first time, which was why i commented on that general argument above

i do regret selling off aapl at $104 a bit, but i really have no idea what to make of the trademark value, and the idevice dependence makes things so unpredictable

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Wild EEPROM posted:

rear end pass

my fart is my passport

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my fart is my passport

*eats broccoli, can't get into server room

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

poty posted:

cant believe anyone uses either when macos/ios have the icloud shared keychain and a password generator built into safari

wait do people actually use safari unironically

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i use safari because i like having a battery and <100% cpu

pretty sure chrome wore down my battery over three years to the point where i had to replace it, too

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
safari is needs suiting but could be better

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

safari just gets progressively slower the more i use it. had to switch back to chrome because i don't want to wait 15s for it to resolve DNS queries after unlocking my laptop

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/DaveManouchehri/status/799636612309057537

i just needed an ethernet port

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haha, that is pretty bad i must say, even as a relative believer in the usb-c transition :)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the dongle store

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

http://arstechnica.com/video/2016/11/the-2016-13-and-15-inch-touch-bar-macbook-pros-reviewed/ posted:

When you hook one of LG’s 5K monitors to one of the new MacBook Pros, what you’re actually seeing on the screen is two pictures stitched together to make a single seamless image. This is because the version of the DisplayPort spec supported by Intel’s GPUs and almost all monitors these days—version 1.2—doesn’t have enough bandwidth to drive a 5K display at 60Hz all by itself. This will change with DisplayPort 1.3, which is right on the cusp of going mainstream, but it’s not here yet. Apple is actually pushing two DisplayPort 1.2 streams to the monitor over the single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

These kinds of workarounds were common in the early days of 4K displays before the DisplayPort 1.2 spec went mainstream, although you’d typically actually need two physical DisplayPort cables to make it happen. Apple actually uses a variation of the same idea for the 5K iMac’s internal display.

i cant believe its 2017 and even the computer thats nothing but future ports cant handle 5k screens without hacks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my new touchbar mac is here today, its nice

the matte surface of the touchbar feels especially good to slide your frenulum along during the unboxing

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Mad Wack posted:

my new touchbar mac is here today, its nice

the matte surface of the touchbar feels especially good to slide your frenulum along during the unboxing

so... does apple.com break the touchbar's safari tabs for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyezMO6TcOw

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

so... does apple.com break the touchbar's safari tabs for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyezMO6TcOw

im the demo of a bug in an apple store

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

mishaq posted:

im the demo of a bug in an apple store

lol remember when random dipshits were bending iphablets in the Apple store and posting the video?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i cant reproduce that

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the website previews at the bottom are shite though, they should just use a site favicon

also the keyboard is loud as gently caress

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i ran into the password autocorrect things from a few pages ago. i was typing something elsewhere and one of my passwords appeared as the autocorrect solution. loving hell

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lord funk posted:

i ran into the password autocorrect things from a few pages ago. i was typing something elsewhere and one of my passwords appeared as the autocorrect solution. loving hell

laffo, touchbar is gimmick poo poo

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

laffo, touchbar is gimmick poo poo

true but i'm just talking about my phone

or my desktop, can't remember

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

you can turn off the touchbar kb autocorrect

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

you can turn off the touchbar kb autocorrect

It Just Works

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

loving lol

Also pretty sure you can get a usb-c to Ethernet adapter from not-apple

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

lord funk posted:

woof https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nssecuretextfield

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

reiterating my request to change the thread title to "apple thread - the human donglepede"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lord funk posted:

actually then the touchbar is good, it's embarrassing lazy devs who aren't using the right field for password entry. even on macs w/o a touchbar that leaky password data is probably being stored for predictive input analysis somewhere vulnerable, or being entered in a way that's less hardened to spyware, etc etc

do passwords entered in webforms on the major third party browsers show up too, or just random badly made apps? i know firefox rolls it's own cross platform UI widgets...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Stymie posted:

reiterating my request to change the thread title to "apple thread - the human donglepede"

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

loving lol

Also pretty sure you can get a usb-c to Ethernet adapter from not-apple

you wouldn't want to use it though if it requires third party lovely driver installation that might break in the next os release

nor would you want it if it's actually USB->Ethernet rather than thunderbolt/pcie->Ethernet

look at what timb has done to the world

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

1password > using abc123 on every site > lastpass

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

right right, heard you the first time, which was why i commented on that general argument above

i do regret selling off aapl at $104 a bit, but i really have no idea what to make of the trademark value, and the idevice dependence makes things so unpredictable

i mean despite the curse of success/growth stuff that seems to be strangling their engineering capabilities a bit I'm sure they can still come out with another iPad sized product. the iPhone was a crazy confluence of factors that is not going to happen again for apple tho

ufarn
May 30, 2009
this is the background, which is possibly even dumber than what apple ended up with

https://twitter.com/DaveManouchehri/status/799795199362891776

i know they probably want to promote their own dongles over third-party hubs, but dear god

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

this is the background, which is possibly even dumber than what apple ended up with

https://twitter.com/DaveManouchehri/status/799795199362891776

i know they probably want to promote their own dongles over third-party hubs, but dear god

even mil grade poo poo has less of a lead time than that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this is what steve would have wanted
https://twitter.com/mzp/status/799856396778905600

• Locked thread