Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm actually more interested in IMSA than WEC for 2017 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm actually more interested in IMSA than WEC for 2017 right now.

WEC is going to be this:

LMP1-H: Porsche
LMP1-P: :newlol:
LMP2: :shrug:
GT-Pro: Ferarri
GT-AM: Ferarri

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
My predictions for 2017 WEC results:

LMP1-H: Toyota (let me have this one dream)
LMP1-L: no one, Bykolles will not finish enough and the ACO will decide that they are not deserving of a title, unless it's for being on fire.
LMP2: Rebellion will win again just to spite Bykolles
GTE Pro: Porsche will have their revenge on the BoP overlords and demolish Ford and Ferrari
GTE Am: The hilarious afro-pick diffuser Astons will reign supreme with no natural Ford predators.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

And then in 2018 LMP2 becomes LMP1?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Have ByKolles even confirmed their return?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
They have, and SMP have announced they're working with Dallara to build an LMP1 car for 2018.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

godDAMN

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

24 hours of daytona is the best race in the world and this car owns and i am v v pleased

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heads up for fans of hilarious clusterfucks, TCR has a grid of 27 cars for the final races in Macau tomorrow. It'll be streaming on their Youtube channel from 1:50am GMT/8:50pm EST.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
F3 Quali is showing on livestream
https://livestream.com/macau-gp/events/6620992

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WEC spec Dallara has broken cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_usoy3WwKVc

Looks a lot like the oreca. The only WEC spec car we haven't seen yet is the Riley. On the IMSA side, still the Cadillac (announcement now bumped until December) and Nissan to go.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Are the IMSA prototypes legit to run at Le Mans? Are we expecting many of them to do so?

Given the collapse of LMP1 currently in progress the LMP2 field could be insane next year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Are the IMSA prototypes legit to run at Le Mans? Are we expecting many of them to do so?

For those running in WEC trim, yup. For those running in DPi trim (Mazda, Cadillac, and Nissan so far), nope. ACO initially told the teams yes they could run their aero and engines and they would be BoPed, then told them yes but they would have to run WEC aero pieces, and now has told them they cant bring their engines or aero and basically need a whole extra car. ACO sucks rear end.

Honestly, not many US P2 teams ever really bothered with LeMans because the schedule basically means you have to have an entire extra car and crew over in France like Shank did last year. Plus the whole thing with budgets and junk.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WEC LMP2 cars all have to run the Gibson engine, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

WEC LMP2 cars all have to run the Gibson engine, too.

exactly. Bodies are spec on a per-maker basis as now, just all the engines are spec too. And because the DPIs will inherently be faster, there's a small chance in the future that they could be BoP'd down to where the "world" P2s are. Plus I believe ACO wants manufacturers to stay out of P2, especially at Le Mans.

Hope the (presumed) Caddy and Nissan kits both look good. Good chance that the Nissan could become a customer-focused project. And fingers very crossed that this AMG Mercedes rumored project comes true as well. They may be based on the P2s, but it would be good racing to have four factories involved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I view thew current P2 offerings similar to NASCAR, really. You get one engine and a choice of chassis and (slightly) different bodies.

DPi feels more like Indy Car. You get a chassis, stick your own "aerokit" on it and use your own engine.

harperdc posted:

And fingers very crossed that this AMG Mercedes rumored project comes true as well. They may be based on the P2s, but it would be good racing to have four factories involved.

I can see AMG Mercedes trying LMP1 over DPi, but having Merc in DPi would be very welcome. They already have massive success with a hybrid formula in F1, though I don't know how much ACO would approve of them dropping in pretty much the same powertrain into an LMP1 car.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

I can see AMG Mercedes trying LMP1 over DPi, but having Merc in DPi would be very welcome. They already have massive success with a hybrid formula in F1, though I don't know how much ACO would approve of them dropping in pretty much the same powertrain into an LMP1 car.

The ACO made a big deal in the original announcement of the P1 hybrid regulations that an F1 powertrain would be ok, but I don't see Mercedes ever going back to the top class at Le Mans. They've "come back" twice since they left forever after the 1955 accident and both times they've only avoided repeating it by there being no spectators out the back of the circuit. Everyone knows about the 1999 mess but it happened in 1985 as well:

I just don't think they would consider it worth the PR risk, even if nothing happened this time, this history being dragged back into the limelight would be enough to put them off.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't see anyone paying for both a top flight F1 and LMP1 program

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I can't see anyone paying for both a top flight F1 and LMP1 program

If most of the cost for a LMP1 program is the drivetrain, Mercedes is already there. They'd have to modify the hybrid part to comply with the LMP1 regulations (namely use of it in the pits, different charge/discharge rates from F1 to LMP1), but the groundwork is already there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

What a podium with the 2 Audi teams with Mark Webber up there with his Porsche team.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMG was/is interested in IMSA because the US is far and away the largest market for AMG products. They also like the direct marketing to their owners, through the 'fan villages' and such that IMSA does. None of that is accomplished in P1 for 50x the price.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

AMG was/is interested in IMSA because the US is far and away the largest market for AMG products. They also like the direct marketing to their owners, through the 'fan villages' and such that IMSA does. None of that is accomplished in P1 for 50x the price.

Fair point

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

Only thing they'd have to do is take the AMG GT3 engine, drop it in an LMP2 so make new mounts, new bodywork, and they're off and racing for a fraction of the cost and they get all that kind of attention.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

BMB5150 posted:

Only thing they'd have to do is take the AMG GT3 engine, drop it in an LMP2 so make new mounts, new bodywork, and they're off and racing for a fraction of the cost and they get all that kind of attention.

DPi I think is the best deal for marketing payoff in motorsport, at least from a NASCAR hating american like myself

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TCR at Macau is on, already been three crashes and a red flag for people who like shitshows

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

TCR at Macau is on, already been three crashes and a red flag for people who like shitshows

I'm gonna watch it later today, but that's what I was hoping for. There were already some hella crashes in the F3 qualifying race.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holy poo poo this is hilarious. Right after the race went back to green the track is now blocked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Holy poo poo this is hilarious. Right after the race went back to green the track is now blocked.

So... every other race at Daytona or Talladega then, eh?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LMAO now a car just spun by itself on a parade lap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Macau is less a motor race and more performance art

e) i'm the guys in the Youtube chat who are shocked that a race at Macau is poorly organized

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 20, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is FIA running this?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Welp and an upside down GT3 car.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL and the car that went upside down and led to the red flag gets awarded with the win. What a shitshow.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

gret posted:

Welp and an upside down GT3 car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RAVdsXmnZg

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This is like the most morose podium ever for a race where nobody died or were seriously injured.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"Let's give the guy who was passed cleanly on the circuit, then hit the wall & flipped upside down, the World Cup" - FIA

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

"Let's give the guy who was passed cleanly on the circuit, then hit the wall & flipped upside down, the World Cup" - FIA

I'm totally cool with giving someone a trophy for a gently caress up that hilarious.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

At least the F3 race was pretty good and relatively clean.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

LOL and the car that went upside down and led to the red flag gets awarded with the win. What a shitshow.

Wait, what? They seriously let someone who flipped win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Red flag count-back rules sometimes lead to funny results like that (see: Bathurst '92)

• Locked thread