Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

julian assflange posted:

Of course. gently caress this team of officials

You're trying to claim that pass was forward??!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

So did banging a lady in an airport toilet rob Aaron Smith of his super powers? He didn't seem to have a good stint here.

Tiger Woods syndrome.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

julian assflange posted:

Pass was flat at worst. Ireland have been getting sweetheart calls all game.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

More likely why not confirm it was backwards. TMO exists for a reason.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rabbi T. White posted:

They could have looked at least. I thought Barrett's earlier pass looked more forward, if it was at all.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Best Smith! Noooooooooooooooooo!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

julian assflange posted:

For what? The pass was fine.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
If you asked me two weeks ago I would have said we'd get hammered twice so I'll happily take a win and a close game full of poo poo calls tbh

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vagabundo posted:

For what? The pass was fine.

Barrett's earlier pass in that move. The final one was flat at worst. I expected them to go to the TMO

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

tag youre fat posted:

If you asked me two weeks ago I would have said we'd get hammered twice so I'll happily take a win and a close game full of poo poo calls tbh

It does bode well for the 6nations tbh, a hard fought win and a complacent loss isn't a bad result out of 2 games against the best team in the world.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

It does bode well for the 6nations tbh, a hard fought win and a complacent loss isn't a bad result out of 2 games against the best team in the world.

You jammy bastards aren't meant to come out of a golden age of rugby and start another one straight up again, give the rest of us shite teams a chance. :)

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Vaders Jester posted:

You jammy bastards aren't meant to come out of a golden age of rugby and start another one straight up again, give the rest of us shite teams a chance. :)

I had an eye on Huw Jones getting his 3rd try in 2 games, and with Italy beating the bokke we could maybe see a Welsh-French race to the wooden spoon this year!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aye, I'll settle for him setting up Maitland's try. Scotland have something of an embarrassment of riches at centre just now, just hope they avoid the death curse that seems to plague all good Scottish backs.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vaders Jester posted:

It will be short anyway(if so), the average age of the team is old enough now....

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Australia-France was a great match, catch the highlights if you get a chance.

That was a great day of rugby from start to finish, wish there were more weekends like that.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Maybe we should have sent Little Shane out to distract the Japanese players...

https://streamable.com/w6se

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Aye, I'll settle for him setting up Maitland's try. Scotland have something of an embarrassment of riches at centre just now, just hope they avoid the death curse that seems to plague all good Scottish backs.

The whole backline is looking great if Finn stays healthy. Not sure about the pack tho.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The pack were getting rolled like chumps towards the end of that game.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Nursing a severe hangover, don't go to the pub to watch games starting at half 5. I think I can finally say it without coming across too bitter because Ireland won 2 weeks ago but gently caress me New Zealand are dirty. They're right on the edge of infringement every time which to be honest is how a good team should be, but their conduct around rucks is atrocious and with a different ref they were looking at a red card or two. They still deserved the game because their defence was rock solid and Ireland have nobody with a flash of brilliance to score a try. I'm pretty happy with the result though, we didn't deserve to win but I think we made the all blacks work for that one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, come off it. Two All Blacks players got binned, and Sexton gets away with trying to go home with Beauden Barrett's head tucked under his arm but, hey, the ref was letting them get away with stuff, right?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 20, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tag youre fat posted:

Australia-France was a great match, catch the highlights if you get a chance.

This, Kuridrani's try is something to watch. Both teams were good though, France were on fire in attack at times.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, I think they got away with murder at times. It's fine every team does it, but they were pushing it.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Next year will mark the fiftieth anniversary of a New Zealand player being sent off. Do you not find it strange that in the history of professional rugby a New Zealand player has never been given a red card? You can call it sour grapes or whatever if you want but it's been quite clear for a while that red card offences simply don't exist as long as you're wearing the right jersey.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

tag youre fat posted:

Next year will mark the fiftieth anniversary of a New Zealand player being sent off. Do you not find it strange that in the history of professional rugby a New Zealand player has never been given a red card? You can call it sour grapes or whatever if you want but it's been quite clear for a while that red card offences simply don't exist as long as you're wearing the right jersey.

Neither of those were even given penalties. Please continue on about the unfair reffing. :cripes:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This as well. Toner's shoulder hit Retallick's jaw first. Why's he not being cited, while Sam Cane is seeing the judiciary for what is basically a legal tackle? The only real difference is that Henshaw left injured, while Retallick didn't.

By Peyper's standards, Sexton should have been binned for his effort on Barrett in scoring his try, and if the Irish supporters want to have a whinge about the grounding, then they should also consider that maybe it should have been a penalty try instead.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

The whole backline is looking great if Finn stays healthy. Not sure about the pack tho.

Yeah, missing Nel and Dickinson has really hurt the scrum. The backrow and locks are actually looking alright now as long as players stay healthy but Scotland just doesn't have the depth to cover any serious injuries.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Launchbury cited for a kick. Anyone seen the footage? Not like him really.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

2nd minute of the second half if anyone has a repay of it.

Sanchez is cited for punching Peter Horne, he's probably going to eat a ban for it.

e: Launchbury got two weeks for kicking Tikoirotuma after admitting fault. NZ citings are tomorrow I think. Cane will probably not get a ban though Fekitoa might if World Rugby want to make an example, especially when they're supposed to be cracking down on high tackles. Could go either way.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 21, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
What a great weekend of rugby! Two weekends, really, with three games decided by 3 or fewer points.

NZ are 1 pt ahead on the aggregate against IRE, of course :v:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sam Cane's been cleared by the judiciary, Fekitoa's out for a week - it's a two-week offence, but was reduced to one due to a clean record, immediate acknowledgement of wrongdoing and exemplary behaviour and attitude at the hearing.

Sexton remains uncited.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

Sam Cane's been cleared by the judiciary, Fekitoa's out for a week - it's a two-week offence, but was reduced to one due to a clean record, immediate acknowledgement of wrongdoing and exemplary behaviour and attitude at the hearing.

Sexton remains uncited.

Irish journalists remain salty.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Irish journalists remain salty.

One of our journalists just published a column, telling the Irish to stop being a bunch of whiny bitches.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-of-world-rugby

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I don't see why an admission of guilt should make much of a difference, considering how much video evidence is available.

This applies to all citings; Joe Launchbury just had a sentence reduced for the same reason.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's an early guilty plea, basically, and I guess it's indicative of remorse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The classic "I'm sorry I got caught".

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Apart from the All Blacks generally being the top ranked team, how do they get away with more than other teams?

In other sports the typical thought is that the wealthier/more politically connected clubs get treated differently, but in international matches with foreign refs? Etc.

Not saying it doesn't happen. This was in NZ but something I always flashback to: https://youtu.be/OsXJyDHFKn0

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're very, very good at it. Some of the finest cheats in a sport of perpetual illegality.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

turntabler posted:

Apart from the All Blacks generally being the top ranked team, how do they get away with more than other teams?

In other sports the typical thought is that the wealthier/more politically connected clubs get treated differently, but in international matches with foreign refs? Etc.

Not saying it doesn't happen. This was in NZ but something I always flashback to: https://youtu.be/OsXJyDHFKn0

Seeing as how the WR referee chief Alain Rolland has come out and said Aaron Smith never should've been carded, I'd say that's far from the case. poo poo, for the last 5 or 6 years, other teams have gotten away with ridiculous cases of foul play against the All Blacks, without so much as a peep from the judiciary, while the referees look away so fast that they probably suffer from whiplash. Sexton getting away on and off the field with a blatant high tackle while Fekitoa gets binned and cops a ban for his effort is the latest in a series of incidents where there's a clear lack of consistency in how the All Blacks are refereed and adjudicated against.

In the four incidents highlighted in these videos, take a guess at how many led to citings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGIHha3cXI&t=30s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSnrsNoWpU&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQkwYfqDnU&t=36s

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 24, 2016

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Vagabundo posted:

Sexton getting away with a blatant high tackle while Fekitoa got binned and has copped a ban for his effort.

As a neutral, this. Fekitoa's tackle was reckless but a yellow was more than plenty given how clean of a player he is historically, no way he should have gotten a ban.

Conversely, Sexton should have gotten a yellow too (though would also argue no ban necessary there either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

butros posted:

As a neutral, this. Fekitoa's tackle was reckless but a yellow was more than plenty given how clean of a player he is historically, no way he should have gotten a ban.

Conversely, Sexton should have gotten a yellow too (though would also argue no ban necessary there either).

The judiciary felt that Fekitoa's high tackle was in the red card area, although I'm not sure I agree. Regardless, if that is to be the case, then what about Sexton? There's a clear lack of consistency, and for the last half a decade or so, there's been a clear message sent to NH teams - foul play is worth the risk, because we're not going to do poo poo when you do it against the All Blacks.