Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

cheese posted:

Since Trump's views on women are firmly medieval, then I can only imagine he sees himself as some 16th century Duke whose biological sons are pampered dandies unfit to rule, forced to marry his beautiful daughter off to a son-figure worthy of succeeding him on the throne.

Also, I can't believe Sessions would ever use the justice department to carryout his crusade against weed. It would be the most hilarious hill for them to die on. Legalized marijuana support is at an all time high, even among Republicans.

They probably think that since only a handful of states have legalized they can still get the genie back in the bottle. They probably also realize they won't have another chance at it. It's insanely stupid, but then so is just about every plan they have.

edit: also re-criminalizing weed fits in nicely with nationwide stop-n-frisk.
edit 2: it also means more smuggling via the border and further justifies the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It is well worth remembering that the US military and intelligence services are set up deliberately to prevent coups. Not only are they each splintered into multiple competing services with different specializations, cultures, and rivalries, but the culture of civilian oversight runs extremely deep. The freeper dream of the good old boys in the Army going rogue and defending Free Americans from the heinous negromancy of the UN Overseer Obama has always been completely without merit, as is pretty much any permutation of that hypothetical. It's not that a military coup can't happen in the US, but the cultural and institutional shifts that would be necessary to empower such a thing have not happened.

e: ironically I would expect to see an intelligence services coup before a military one; the intelligence services don't have the same line about civilian oversight drilled into them, and have operated above the law in a lot of ways for a while. But that's not to say I expect to see an intelligence services coup at all.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 19, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Raenir Salazar posted:

For the record I'm :canada:

I don't know how to say, "please do not humiliate your poor mother" in French.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zegermans posted:

Well I guess Muslims will have been liquidated by then anyway so her positions on them won't be an issue

Well...gently caress. I liked her from what I saw of her support for Bernie and stuff. Sad I missed all her anti-Islamic poo poo. (which I just researched. It's easy enough to find. So that's my bad. I guess it never hurts to learn.)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

NikkolasKing posted:

Well...gently caress. I liked her from what I saw of her support for Bernie and stuff. Sad I missed all her anti-Islamic poo poo. (which I just researched. It's easy enough to find. So that's my bad. I guess it never hurts to learn.)

Tim Canova had some pretty gross skeletons in his closet, too. Just supporting Bernie (or receiving his endorsement, even) is absolutely no guarantee of rightthink, just as supporting Hillary was no guarantee of wrongthink (e.g. Warren). It's not the worst heuristic but it's good to evaluate in more depth before coming to a conclusion.

Meanwhile, Tammy Duckworth for cyborg president.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

How much would the Tammie Duckworth VA whistleblower scandals potentially hurt her?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

My pet theory is that Trump regards Kushner as a younger version of himself he can live vicariously through/trust, and it's really gross to watch. I literally can't think of another reason why Trump trusts this random guy so much other than he's a loyal, Jewish carbon copy of Trump.

The political gossip mill's been very quiet regarding Kellyanne Conway, who seems to be literally the only publicly political woman in Trump's immediate orbit these days. (Ivanka whispers in his ear but seems to be mostly busy trying to peddle her random poo poo.) Any guesses re: her role in the administration, if at all? She might decide to take the money in run but I doubt it.

I think he's just jealous Kushdog gets to go balls deep in Ivanka

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SourKraut posted:

How much would the Tammie Duckworth VA whistleblower scandals potentially hurt her?

Not as much as her being born in Thailand.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I feel like it's emblematic of what a lovely situation we're in right now where I really hope Romney gets a spot in Trump's cabinet.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/800057938165563393

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I have a feeling Trump is going to sucker-punch Ryan. Ryan's going to get up a good lather of conservative bills though congress, and when they land on Trump's desk he'll play the populist and tell the American people he's standing up for them and refuse to sign when they try to axe Medicare or whatever. At least on really unpopular stuff, the smaller things are likely to slide.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I didn't know she was a cop

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot wait for Trump to keep bitching every time a tv show, movie, comic, youtuber, facebook poster or anything that insults him. I wonder how long it takes for him to stop looking like someone who takes on all commers and be seen as a sniveling bitch.

The best thing about the Trump University thing is Trump tried to attack the Clintons for their settlements as they suggested they were guilty. But then we're in a post facts world.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot wait for Trump to keep bitching every time a tv show, movie, comic, youtuber, facebook poster or anything that insults him. I wonder how long it takes for him to stop looking like someone who takes on all commers and be seen as a sniveling bitch.

The best thing about the Trump University thing is Trump tried to attack the Clintons for their settlements as they suggested they were guilty. But then we're in a post facts world.

If the Democrats had any balls, they'd go full-on weird left Twitter and postmodern their way into the Senate, Presidency and SCOTUS in 2020. Competency and sanity has been left behind.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Pollyanna posted:

If the Democrats had any balls, they'd go full-on weird left Twitter and postmodern their way into the Senate, Presidency and SCOTUS in 2020. Competency and sanity has been left behind.

I'm sure most of them are no different than the republicans who just want to get as much money as they can before the world collapses and then they can live on a moon base with Newt or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not as much as her being born in Thailand.

Eh, if Ted Cruz could probably get into the presidency then she could.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm sure most of them are no different than the republicans who just want to get as much money as they can before the world collapses and then they can live on a moon base with Newt or something.

You act like every single human on this planet wouldn't do the same for themselves and family.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Seeing all these stories about Christie being stabbed in the back and tossed in the ditch, is there any chance he would ever come out as some sort of whistle-blower anti-Trump figure in the next few months? I don't know much about his personality, but he doesn't seem like one to just take this without retaliation, unless he would be threatened with Bridgegate jail time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Business Gorillas posted:

He had eight years to do something :cripes:

He had, charitably, two years to do anything about anything. I don't think anyone here is going to argue with the idea that he squandered those two years, but let's not pretend that Obama's administration is to blame for the lack of meaningful fiscal policy over the last six years. A lot of the "optimism" I've been hearing from otherwise liberal friends who work in finance is predicated on the idea that Republicans will do something and the economy will stop being held captive by monetary policy.

Note that this is a poo poo position to hold and these people are shitheads for holding it, but they aren't wrong about the first part. What worries me is that Republican policy might actually work to provide a short term economic boost because things like tax cuts work reasonably well if you're okay with selling out the future for immediate gain.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

:siren: why are you caring about the people who voted for trump as opposed to the much larger proportion of democratic voters that stayed at home :siren:

because that allows them to ignore Clinton's faults and change nothing

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

Look at it this way: Trump is likely going to end up as the Jimmy Carter of the right, except he's not even going to build houses for homeless people after leaving office.

If Putin insomuch as sneezes in the general direction of the Baltics during Trump's presidency, he's going to get humiliated. Just imagine if the South Ossetia crisis played out during the end of Jr.'s first term.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Eh, if Ted Cruz could probably get into the presidency then she could.

It's Okay If A Republican Does It

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Democrats didn't learn this after Kerry, I have doubts that they're gonna learn it now, but there's a very clear lesson: People don't vote against candidates.

People want to vote for a candidate they support, they won't vote for just any warm body because they don't like the other guy

The problem in 2004 wasn't Democratic turnout. Bush got much higher turnout in 2004 than he did in 2000 - and, for that matter, he got higher turnout in 2004 than every Republican candidate since.

Deadulus posted:

That's true.

I am apart of the elite of Alabama and I don't understand why the vast poor people of my state vote for my Family to have more power over them. I know it is wrong, but I don't know how to un-do it.

Because the landed gentry of the South has spent the last hundred-plus years telling the poor that only the local aristocrats can create jobs and prosperity for them, and that attempts by the federal government to rein in the power of the petty nobles and replace it with federal anti-poverty programs are actually secret attempts by the filthy urban liberals to destroy Southern society and funnel all their money to black people.

PT6A posted:

How do conservatives square the circle of wanting traditional values and masculinity and all this poo poo, and then acting like you have the emotional fragility of a loving three-year-old?

Apparently the feelings of the average white guy in America are roughly as fragile as a Faberge egg.

I don't even know how that statement could've been made more respectful, and yet tons of people appear to be freaking out over it and this is somehow building support for Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, gently caress my life I just don't understand anything anymore.

It's because right-wing media deliberately fosters a persecution complex in order to make its listeners feel like their very way of life is under constant assault by liberal conspirators. A cashier says "Happy Holidays" at the store? That's not someone giving corporate-mandated fake holiday cheer, as one might think; talk radio will tell you that it she's actually an agent of the liberal conspiracy working to destroy the sanctity of our greatest and most capitalist holiday! Within the right-wing outrage universe, these weren't individual actors expressing their personal opinion - they were a scheme by the liberal traitors to undermine confidence in our government and threaten the vice-president by demonstrating that their agents could be lurking anywhere he goes. All part of the nationwide assault on conservatives, you see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quorum posted:

This would be unprecedented (and will not happen) but they would follow along with the transition of power just fine. The electoral college being an antidemocratic sack of poo poo gave us Trump and they had no problem with it, because it's all quite Constitutional, as would be a giant faithless-elector revolt.

What you should be worried about in this ludicrous hypothetical is the Trumpets and the Republican Party at large, which absolutely would not take that lying down. Picture Bush v Gore but far, far worse.

I'd love to the the conservative justices' statement after the subsequent 4-4 ruling because they'd be screaming so loudly that the EC has to follow their state no matter what.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Trump regime is looking less and less like it'll be a bunch of buffoons looting the treasury and more like it's gonna be a very scary "Laws Don't Apply" surveillance state. Trump has been making a lot of scary intelligence related moves but this one is really insane.

Military goons will know how loving weird and scary this is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

the black husserl posted:

The Trump regime is looking less and less like it'll be a bunch of buffoons looting the treasury and more like it's gonna be a very scary "Laws Don't Apply" surveillance state. Trump has been making a lot of scary intelligence related moves but this one is really insane.

I don't understand why it is scary?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Could you explain why?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Meet your new secretary of education, Michelle Rhee.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...still-open.html

Jesus Christ.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kro-Bar posted:

There could be a couple faithless electors, but we'd need something like 37 of them to take the election to the House or give it to Clinton. That's like .00001% likely, based on my extensive mathematical research.

The only way it could happen is if Trump is quite literally caught violently raping Ivanka while talking about how he plans to not-joking gas the Jews.

Or I suppose he could decide this is too much work and say "I wish I could justify becoming President but the popular vote says otherwise. I am therefore instructing the EC to vote for my opponent, Hilary Clinton, as the true winner of the election and to choose her as the next President of the United States of America", and whilst that would be hilarious for the ensuing chaos, and whilst it would appeal to his ego by making him the greatest example of civic virtues since Cincinnatus himself and a man who is lauded as one of the greatest in American history until the day the Republic finally falls, I soooomehow don't see it happening.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Hollismason posted:

The future Supreme Commander of the US Armed forces is meeting, in his house, with his brand new Director of National Intelligence, who superseded the chain of command to attend the meeting since he would have been told "gently caress NO."

But doncha know he's practically sworn in already, and the Trump house can replace both the Pentagon AND the White House! We'll just call it the Pentahouse, or Penthouse for short.

Unprecedented breaks with US checks and balances already happening 11 days out from election! This is fine.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 19, 2016

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The core is right there in the quoted text - and if you'll click through and read the article, you'll understand why it's so chilling (the Pentagon wants this guy to be fired). But short version: chain of command is one of the absolute core principals of America's armed forces. It is beyond shocking for an officer to meet with the President without notifying his superiors. This is medieval court intrigue type of poo poo, it's just not done at all.

It means this guy is more loyal to the Trump organization than to the United State of America. Which is a significantly terrifying change in the culture of our rulers. You not understanding why its scary is sadly all too common cause this is gonna happen with no resistance :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The core is right there in the quoted text - and if you'll click through and read the article, you'll understand why it's so chilling (the Pentagon wants this guy to be fired). But short version: chain of command is one of the absolute core principals of America's armed forces. It is beyond shocking for an officer to meet with the President without notifying his superiors. This is medieval court intrigue type of poo poo, it's just not done at all.

It means this guy is more loyal to the Trump organization than to the United State of America. Which is a significantly terrifying change in the culture of our rulers. You not understanding why its scary is sadly all too common cause this is gonna happen with no resistance :(

So if I understand this correctly, the military's traditions and core values are violated by this act and the established system is being flaunted in favor of appealing to a new leader while the establishment is horrified yet unable to do anything at all about it?

Uh, isn't this some loving junta poo poo? Is the military breaking down too?

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Not to mention it seems like a very uncoded, "I don't answer to you anymore."

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

How many leaks and whistleblowers will we be seeing in the next 4-8 years? I imagine a lot of people in the military (and the gov't at large) will be very upset seeing their lives' work being poo poo on. Hopefully.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

JeffersonClay posted:

Meet your new secretary of education, Michelle Rhee.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...still-open.html

Jesus Christ.

Eh... it could be worse.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

How many leaks and whistleblowers will we be seeing in the next 4-8 years? I imagine a lot of people in the military (and the gov't at large) will be very upset seeing their lives' work being poo poo on. Hopefully.

The number will not matter because people will ignore the leaks and treat them as traitors and liars. Just like they did with every other leaker and whistleblower, ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Main Paineframe posted:

It's because right-wing media deliberately fosters a persecution complex in order to make its listeners feel like their very way of life is under constant assault by liberal conspirators. A cashier says "Happy Holidays" at the store? That's not someone giving corporate-mandated fake holiday cheer, as one might think; talk radio will tell you that it she's actually an agent of the liberal conspiracy working to destroy the sanctity of our greatest and most capitalist holiday! Within the right-wing outrage universe, these weren't individual actors expressing their personal opinion - they were a scheme by the liberal traitors to undermine confidence in our government and threaten the vice-president by demonstrating that their agents could be lurking anywhere he goes. All part of the nationwide assault on conservatives, you see.

It's going to be amazing to see RWM try to figure out how to frame that Republicans controlling the entire government is still too weak to fight against the evil forces of PC culture and Feminism.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The arguments that the whole Hamilton thing is a distraction from the Trump U settlement are really dumb to me. Trump isn't a 7th dimensional chessmaster, he's just an idiot with a fragile ego who reacts to everything equally. He is not a normal person with normal priorities like "not getting caught doing openly corrupt things". And even if he was, the past year has shown that no one really gives a poo poo if Trump does openly corrupt things anyway.

The truth is that Trump legit believes that getting booed at in a theater is just as bad, if not worse, than having to pay out millions to settle a fraud case. And I'd say that stuff like the Hamilton thing is way more damaging to him than any reports of corruption. Trump's entire appeal is being the powerful bully that his supporters can live vicariously though, and being a whiny bitch on Twitter over the tiniest things damages the strongman image he's trying to cultivate and sell to the American people. We live in a post-facts world and image is everything, needling him like this for four years would do way more damage to his image and psyche than any investigative journalism would.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

So if I understand this correctly, the military's traditions and core values are violated by this act and the established system is being flaunted in favor of appealing to a new leader while the establishment is horrified yet unable to do anything at all about it?

Uh, isn't this some loving junta poo poo? Is the military breaking down too?

No, in a Junta the military would be the main power, not a power who is in danger of being puppet-stringed by neo-fascism. The Junta comes after the military gets pissed and seizes government control.

What we have here is a military officer essentially saying, "Haha, I get to go work for Trump now, so I only answer to the President of the United States. Now I'm going to go pitch policy ideas of the future president in his home."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The first time he has to go up against the White House Press Corps and actually have to answer real, hard questions is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

Even the stuff he's talking about being a solution is just band-aids to the problem anyway, and eventually that gets untenable. Education and social safety nets are fine, but we're already past the point where all the education in the world isn't going to get everyone a job (this should be obvious on the face of it, alas) and social safety nets are a kludge by design. If half your population is dependent on them then you're doing something very wrong.

He probably knows this but what could he do? No way he could have drastically reworked the social contract during his Presidency, not with My Ultimate Ayn Rand Porn in Congress.

I always found it strange anyone was expecting Obama to be this harbinger of radical change. Did you really think he would establish communism here? I have no doubt there are leftists who think Obama was a failure, but what could he do?

The obstructionists either dim witted or simply mean spirited Republicans (there is no other excuse to be a Republican) are just making life worse for most Americans and a lot of the rest of the world.

And you are right not everyone is going to get a job. Capitalism in its very nature requires a percentage of labor to unemployed at all times.

The only change in unemployment and capitalism is that it can be argued that capitalism now requires a certain new class the unemployable. The movement from liberal capitalism to an authoritarian capitalism is certain without the proper and appropriate measures taken. But first, people have got get clear that unemployment is created by capitalism first. And it is part of its own productive power. No matter how helpful people might think program y or z is in helping some of the unemployed gain employment, they will simply displace others to a degree.

This is the tip of the iceberg.

• Locked thread