Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
All the SAC series are amazing IMO but that's because the procedural parts make me slap my hands together like a delighted toddler. They could pretty much just have 22 minutes of the Chief delegating poo poo to people during a crisis and I'd probably enjoy it, especially if they had a random segue into some diplomatic or philosophical minutae.

That one episode where he gets caught up in the guys robbing the wine vault is just perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Double posting b/c someone told me to watch Hibike! Euphonium and at first glance it looks like generic moe crap, OTOH I did like k-on when I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about so I'm not totally immune to that poo poo. Please let me know if I am going to regret this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Double posting b/c someone told me to watch Hibike! Euphonium and at first glance it looks like generic moe crap, OTOH I did like k-on when I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about so I'm not totally immune to that poo poo. Please let me know if I am going to regret this.

Euphonium has basically nothing in common with K-on besides the superficial trappings of schoolgirls, homoeroticism, and music. Much more of a subtle character drama/coming of age story. It is also magnificent, and I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RabidWeasel posted:

you aren't

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hibike is literally nothing like a sol moe comedy show

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Euphonium has basically nothing in common with K-on besides the superficial trappings of schoolgirls, homoeroticism, and music. Much more of a subtle character drama/coming of age story. It is also magnificent, and I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

That's vaguely the impression I was getting, I'm just wildly suspicious of anything with a bunch of girls in a school doing stuff.

Thanks for helping me to not ignore a good show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sound! Euphonium has so much going for it, the drama is heartfelt with very empathetic characters, the animation is positively breathtaking, the music is done exceptionally well with a lot of attention to detail if you're a music/band nerd, and of course some lovely subtle/not-so-subtle romance developments. It's very easy to get caught up in the cast's struggles and cheer for them to succeed. It's so great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I honestly don't really like Euphonium so far and am mostly watching it for the insanely good animation. This might be because it reminds me of how insufferable the band nerds were at my high school though, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been going through Hulu's anime offerings, and found this show Erased. Jesus Christ, if you haven't watched anything anime in a while (like me), it totally revives your love of the form. Its just perfect.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

welcome back :cheers:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shageletic posted:

Been going through Hulu's anime offerings, and found this show Erased. Jesus Christ, if you haven't watched anything anime in a while (like me), it totally revives your love of the form. Its just perfect.

Yep, Erased is exceptionally good. You should read the manga too, at least the last five(?) or so chapters, since the ending is somewhat different.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Erased kind of started spinning it's wheels around the midpoint, and the ending was hit or miss. Could have done worse though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, Erased is exceptionally good. You should read the manga too, at least the last five(?) or so chapters, since the ending is somewhat different.

Really? I really liked the ending to the show (and also loved that it was only 12 episodes), curious to find out how it changes things.

Davincie posted:

welcome back :cheers:

Yeah, always glad to be back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not dramatically different iirc, like not to the extent the original Fullmetal alchemist changed things from the manga or anything, but it's different yeah.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watch Getter Robo: Armageddon, everyone.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

Watch Getter Robo: Armageddon, everyone.

Don't actually, it's mediocre at best.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

Don't actually, it's mediocre at best.

That's subjective buddy. I'ts a recommendation thread, and that's my recomendation.

Also what you like is bad.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

That's subjective buddy. I'ts a recommendation thread, and that's my recomendation.

Also what you like is bad.

:stare:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
:wow:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first three episodes of Armageddon are good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The first three episodes of Armageddon are good

I think the finale is really fun too, and is probably what a lot of people think about when they suggest it.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Actually Droyer likes Giant Robo so I take back what I said.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
gently caress y'all mediocre super robo shows, watch Redline instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3hggcC10Ks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo is incredible and Redline is amazing. Even people who like bad things can also like these good things. All persons should view of them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

Actually Droyer likes Giant Robo so I take back what I said.

It is because I like Getter Robo that i dislike Armageddon, at least partially.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
patlabor is good, giant robo is good, redline is good

things are good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

patlabor is good, giant robo is good, redline is good

things are good

except your posts :twisted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

The Colonel is one of our most valued posters here. Your trolling is as hollow as your heart.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I completely forgot Drifters was being adapted into an anime. I hope it's at least half as good as Hellsing was. That series went places.

Edit: Saw it was on Crunchyroll, watched the first two episodes. It is.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 16, 2016

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

So a few pages back some people recommend Yona to some other goon, seemed interesting, watched it and liked it a lot. (Will there be a season 2? :( )

More stuff like that? Can also be a male character.

Watched "The Twelve Kingdoms" a long time ago and Arslan Senki recently which seem to fit the same mold so not need to recommend those :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yona probably wont get a second season but you can just read the manga

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the manga is excellent, and the anime was practically a 1 to 1 adaption so you can just pick up where the anime left off if you wanted. I kinda just skimmed through it though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any good anime about mass exoduses? Think Battlestar Galactica (either one), Knights of Sidonia, Book of the Long Sun, anything like that. Doesn't have to be science fiction although that's my first preference.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any good anime about mass exoduses? Think Battlestar Galactica (either one), Knights of Sidonia, Book of the Long Sun, anything like that. Doesn't have to be science fiction although that's my first preference.

I haven't seen/read the stuff you've mentioned so someone else will have to chime in as to how suited my recommendation might be, but Space Battleship Yamato 2199, while not featuring a mass exodus exactly, does have a large amount of people leaving the Earth on a ship and traveling to another galaxy (or maybe just a distant planet in the milky way? Can't remember). So it's got similar 'abandoning the earth/leaving the earth to save humanity' etc. stuff going on that's similar to mass exodus stuff, and is also an excellent sci-fi show in general. That said, you may well have seen it already.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I haven't, and I kinda figured I was missing something obvious like that. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Check out the live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie too, it's prrtty drat good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

King Gainer

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Macross Frontier? Though, the mass exodus plot is kind of in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out the live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie too, it's prrtty drat good.

its loving awful