Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Maduo posted:

all of you are why facebook has to crack down on fake news

Click here for 5 reasons that may or may not be true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Indeed. Trump doctor sex cake, madam

the number of os and es in nite creeeeeeew awooooooo is very important

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Indeed. Trump doctor sex cake, madam

Good, I see it's going accordingly to plan. As you were :tipshat:

Has the McDonald's been ordered yet? We need to get on that by inauguration day.

Al! posted:

the number of os and es in nite creeeeeeew awooooooo is very important

That can't be authorized so soon, we're not ready to make such changes this late in the game! Trump is not going to like this one bit...

I promised Ellison I would delay that as much as I could, but it looks like Keith is gonna have to fly blind into this one, I can't help him...

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Please don't send TIMEC.O.P. after me :smith:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
remember how hillary was gonna hire The Best People?

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/799354161124950016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

LinYutang posted:

The new origin of why we call people Mooks

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Grondoth posted:

The new origin of why we call people Mooks

"Robby ya mook!"
_______________\

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

MrCussMustard posted:

I want to play as the booger on King DavidTed Cruz's lip.

Whatever came out of him that day was worse than some booger. It was like old food, or a tonsil stone, or something equally smelly and nasty.

Maybe his soul.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LinYutang posted:

:negative:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Loyalty over competence is a beautiful thing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I dunno guys, Hillary campaigned like she was five-seven points ahead the whole time. Which is what every single high quality pollster and their internals said. She expanded the map instead of playing to win by one EV because those polls said the big 10 firewall was as safe as possible and she wanted a shot at a congress that wouldn't raw dog her for four years. They couldn't go by what trump's campaign was doing because they didn't do internals, literally getting their polling information from Fox News. Something happened between 2012 and 2016 that hosed every single poll.

Take PA as an example. Polls were showing her 6-10 points up, which is insane in a big state. Ads for toomey's senate campaign were actively pushing the 96-esque narrative that Hillary was going to win.

So I guess if you want to blame somebody, you'd have to blame them for not being able to see the future

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

theflyingexecutive posted:

I dunno guys, Hillary campaigned like she was five-seven points ahead the whole time. Which is what every single high quality pollster and their internals said. She expanded the map instead of playing to win by one EV because those polls said the big 10 firewall was as safe as possible and she wanted a shot at a congress that wouldn't raw dog her for four years. They couldn't go by what trump's campaign was doing because they didn't do internals, literally getting their polling information from Fox News. Something happened between 2012 and 2016 that hosed every single poll.

Take PA as an example. Polls were showing her 6-10 points up, which is insane in a big state. Ads for toomey's senate campaign were actively pushing the 96-esque narrative that Hillary was going to win.

So I guess if you want to blame somebody, you'd have to blame them for not being able to see the future

sir this is a johnny rockets drive thru

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
polls were calibrated for the last 8 years of obama, and not modified to reflect the changes in candidates involved. of course, it's a bit difficult to modify the sample without having an election year to base it off of, so yeah 2018/2020 should be better.

but those polls were all bad, from beginning to end. doesn't justify the laziness and hubris that the HRC campaign showed in their "firewall" states especially since they were drowning in money, but at least they were doing it off some sort of logical reasoning, even though it was flawed.

i really expect 2020 to be a really good year for the dems as long as no real fuckery happens. you have the COASTAL ELITE LIBERALS who will forever remember were they were when trump was announced to be the winner (and will hopefully vote), and a heavy focus on the rust belt states which will continue to die under trump/republicans. 2018 i'm hoping for just plain survival, some of those seats look to be pretty awful and it still requires a good amount of education for democratic voters that hey, midterms are important!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bump_fn posted:

sir this is a johnny rockets drive thru

i am appalled

that i didn't know johnny rockets had drive thrus

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Oh Snapple! posted:

yea, now imagine that kind of administration.

Oh wait, we're actually seeing it right now in live time! :v:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

remember that HRC had an computer telling her to fund Jay-Z concerts and not run ads in Wisconsin

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

logikv9 posted:

i am appalled

that i didn't know johnny rockets had drive thrus

god i thought ppl here followed the news
https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/johnny-rockets-launches-drive-thru-spinoff

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also all the hilarity such as how the Hillary campaign ran ads in California and near the end of the campaign the GOTV started to break down such as sending people to a burned down trailer park.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

is there no bottom to this well of incompetence

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i've unironically detached myself from my usual sources of news because i'm still in denial

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The only polls I found sort of accurate were polls that had the balls to ask after [Hill/Trump] is [Sanders/Hill/Trump] or just [Sanders/Trump]

Granted those are also the same questions people ignored and dismissed the most quickly.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

logikv9 posted:

i've unironically detached myself from my usual sources of news because i'm still in denial

My RSS feed for non mega chain lovely fast food restaurant news keeps me woke

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

yea, now imagine that kind of administration.

Oh wait, we're actually seeing it right now in live time! :v:

At least Trump is valuing the loyalty of people over the past 15 months, not 15 years

wait that's probably worse somehow

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

I'm amazed someone with no formal training in mathematics was charged with managing algorithms dictating a campaign with close to 1 bil in funds. The dude studied classics for Christ sakes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LinYutang posted:

remember that HRC had an computer telling her to fund Jay-Z concerts and not run ads in Wisconsin

What metric could you have used that would have given you warnings that this result would have happened? even with all of the benefit of hindsight, it would have been hard to justify. Don't pretend like Hillary wouldn't have put more resources into the big 10 had any polls showed a serious deficiency there

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
It was reported itt that Michigan and Wisconsin requested assistance and NYC ignored

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lactose Is Wack posted:

I'm amazed someone with no formal training in mathematics was charged with managing algorithms dictating a campaign with close to 1 bil in funds. The dude studied classics for Christ sakes

lol didn't matty yglesias study classics too

why do all these "wonks" have no actual training in appropriate disciplines

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The 91 express toll lanes were a privately funded toll road that took out carpool lanes and replaced them with toll lanes. As agreement for building out this toll lane, the contract said that no improvements were allowed to be made to the public freeway that would in any way ease congestion on what was one of the worst roads in the nation for traffic. That's something that negatively impacts the general public for the benefit of people who can afford the $11 toll.

Eventually the county/state took it over but now the inland empire is removing nearly all the carpool lanes on all their freeways and replacing them with more toll roads.

When I lived in Fullerton I used to have a friend who lived out in Corona. Poor bastard worked out near Anaheim and he had an hours long commute each way, despite only covering like 30 miles.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Hang on a second. Inflation is driven by increases in the money supply. QE has pumped tons of money in the economy, and while its true policy makers have done everything to keep inflation down, you can't do that forever. Inflation has to hit sometime. I don't think it's going to stay quiet with a trillion dollars of infrastructure stimulus floating around.

Inflation is actually good though friend. Inflation increases the cost of holding money and makes investment more attractive. Companies routinely sit on cash stockpiles because they don't know what to do with it and there's no real downside to holding cash, or maybe treasury bonds. Higher inflation would drive investment (or flight, I guess, but there aren't a whole lot of major investment opportunities elsewhere right now, and even with all the turmoil the American dollar is still the safest currency on Earth, well, unless lol Trump) of corporate America's liquid holdings. That was one of the weak points of QE: It doesnt matter how much liquid cash you pump into the market if no one is interested in making new investments with it. Inflation is also good for debtors because they can pay back debts with inflated money, so it helps reduce the effective interest rate for *currently existing* loans. New loans (or variable rate loans) will have the current rate of inflation priced in, causing bigger numbers that work out to basically the same rate as now. The Fed has spent too long overfocusing on keeping inflation down, probably because the Fed is driven more by concerns for Wall Street than anything else. *Some* inflation is actually good and necessary for an economic system! *No* inflation in a system leads to hiding money under your mattress being one of the safest things you can do, which in turn leads to a breakdown of the fractional reserve system that underpins basically all of modern everything.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

this is more lol reporting on clinton's Most Excellent Ground Game Powered By Ada

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/799654875109949440

A union staffer in Pittsburgh reports a similar pattern, saying that Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters failed to invest in a locally generated plan to reach out to African Americans who lived in parts of Pennsylvania other than Pittsburgh and Philly. There are, of course, black communities all over the state. However, without money from the campaign this local effort struggled for lack of literature, vehicles, etc. And with no resources, enthusiasm faded.

The same geographical tone deafness was seen in the campaign’s decision to place its Pittsburgh headquarters in an upscale part of town. At one point this fall, a group of immigration rights activists even staged a sit-in at the campaign office to protest their community’s marginalization within the effort.

The Clinton campaign’s assumption seems to have been that actual people living on the ground in actual places knew less about the population around them than did the data-savvy professionals at campaign headquarters in Brooklyn.

Another labor organizer lamented in an email about the awful campaign Hillary ran in the northern Midwest. When local leaders started to panic at the apparent traction Trump was gaining in these regions and urged the Clinton campaign to send the candidate into the Rust Belt, the geographic ulcer of corporate globalization, nothing happened. Clinton largely stayed away from the counties she lost; but Trump was all over them. Counties that Obama had carried four years ago experienced fifteen- to twenty-five-point swings in Trump’s favor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ah so they got the keys to dad's BMW and wrapped it around a tree. makes a lot more sense now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

At the heart of the failure was the notion of the “new emerging majority.” According to this argument — pushed by, among others, John Judis and Ruy Teixeira — women, Latinos, blacks, and skilled professionals who support the Democrats were becoming the demographic majority. Thus the traditional white working-class base of the Democratic Party could be sidelined.

Women are literally the majority already

What group are we talking about when we talk about women who are naturally inclined to vote for Hillary?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

^^^ The weird belief that a universal womanhood hivemind exists, instead of the obvious fact that different people are different and identify along different lines.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Eh. Lets not praise the math nerds too much here. They probably had comp sci people on staff who didn't understand the political realities they were modeling just as much as the wonk nerds didn't understand the algorithms being used. You need a multi-discipline team that respects and communicates with each other to effectively build, run, and interpret data science. Thats why a lot of big data projects end up falling on their face. Its either garbage in, garbage out by people who have no clue how to interpret data or even what kind of data they're looking for or its blind adherence to whatever the computer says because they don't know enough to second guess it.

E: emphasis added to highlight the fundamental difference between the Obama machine and the Clinton machine.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Nov 20, 2016

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm getting really tired of the word wonk also because Everytime I see it applied the person is the exact opposite and it's just used as a label to keep people from questioning qualifications

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LinYutang posted:

The Clinton campaign’s assumption seems to have been that actual people living on the ground in actual places knew less about the population around them than did the data-savvy professionals at campaign headquarters in Brooklyn.

MOOOOOOOOK!!!! :argh:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

this is more lol reporting on clinton's Most Excellent Ground Game Powered By Ada

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/799654875109949440

A union staffer in Pittsburgh reports a similar pattern, saying that Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters failed to invest in a locally generated plan to reach out to African Americans who lived in parts of Pennsylvania other than Pittsburgh and Philly. There are, of course, black communities all over the state. However, without money from the campaign this local effort struggled for lack of literature, vehicles, etc. And with no resources, enthusiasm faded.

The same geographical tone deafness was seen in the campaign’s decision to place its Pittsburgh headquarters in an upscale part of town. At one point this fall, a group of immigration rights activists even staged a sit-in at the campaign office to protest their community’s marginalization within the effort.

Another labor organizer lamented in an email about the awful campaign Hillary ran in the northern Midwest. When local leaders started to panic at the apparent traction Trump was gaining in these regions and urged the Clinton campaign to send the candidate into the Rust Belt, the geographic ulcer of corporate globalization, nothing happened. Clinton largely stayed away from the counties she lost; but Trump was all over them. Counties that Obama had carried four years ago experienced fifteen- to twenty-five-point swings in Trump’s favor.

can't wait till I get brutally hell dumped in a few years for being proud at one point for associating with this garbage fire

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Atrocious Joe posted:

At least Trump is valuing the loyalty of people over the past 15 months, not 15 years

wait that's probably worse somehow

Trump is consistently everything wrong with Hillary reality percieved but even worse

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

RIP President Trump, dead of complications from syphilis, brain tumors, and morgellons

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm going to say this again: the issue was not "big data". Mook and Podesta never even bothered to check whether the analytics they were creating had any basis in reality.

They should have had strong benchmarks to check on progress, not figure out there are massive problems after MONTHS of campaigning.

Lol nothing matters

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It was unfathomable arrogance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Battle Royale Baby posted:

I'm going to say this again: the issue was not "big data". Mook and Podesta never even bothered to check whether the analytics they were creating had any basis in reality.

They should have had strong benchmarks to check on progress, not figure out there are massive problems after MONTHS of campaigning.

Lol nothing matters

the check was public polling and private internals from public polling. like if they had internals for PA saying C+8 and PPP or Qpac were saying T+2, yeah it'd be really easy to blame them. Nobody was sitting around reading bill Mitchell and yelling "we need to get ground game into people's hearts!!!"

• Locked thread