Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ciaphas posted:

a coworker of mine mentioned stored procs are the devil's rear end in a top hat wrt portability, i.e. stored procs are the main reason we're all totally stuck on oracle db even though we all hate it and would benefit from a move to mssql

I'm not au fait with databases, how true is this? i thought stored procs were just like... c functions i guess?? only for sql, so syntactic shortcuts for long queries i guess??`

i think your real problem here might actually be Oracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
yeah, the problem with sprocs is that they make it so easy to use vendor-specific features

we're stuck with mssql forever since we have an assload of procs that depend heavily on tsql syntax and features. it doesn't help that our business logic lives almost entirely in the db

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
database server portability is an illusion anyway. writing sql that can actually run correctly on every relational database server is a nightmare. the common subset of functionality is surprisingly restrictive because everything past sql-92 is subtly (or not so subtly) different everywhere, and a query that's fast on one implementation may be slow as poo poo on another.

if you need to support different database servers, use an abstraction layer with separate implementations rather than trying to run the same sql everywhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SQL Server is the way, the truth, and the light though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Plorkyeran posted:

database server portability is an illusion anyway. writing sql that can actually run correctly on every relational database server is a nightmare. the common subset of functionality is surprisingly restrictive because everything past sql-92 is subtly (or not so subtly) different everywhere, and a query that's fast on one implementation may be slow as poo poo on another.

if you need to support different database servers, use an abstraction layer with separate implementations rather than trying to run the same sql everywhere.

yeah we don't actually plan or ever need per se to migrate away from Oracle, we just culturally hate dealing with it

This may or may not be related to our DBAs being lazy turds

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i think your real problem here might actually be Oracle

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my biggest failing as a terrible programmer that i can identify is i'm bad at architecture

like, i can debug and solve small problems and given a specific task i can write code pretty well but ask me to plan out a project in any significant way (even at the level of "should we use an ORM or raw sql and should that sql be in stored procedures etc") and I freeze up

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

my biggest failing as a terrible programmer that i can identify is i'm bad at architecture

like, i can debug and solve small problems and given a specific task i can write code pretty well but ask me to plan out a project in any significant way (even at the level of "should we use an ORM or raw sql and should that sql be in stored procedures etc") and I freeze up

how long have you been doing this? that's totally normal for a surprisingly long part of your career.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

how long have you been doing this? that's totally normal for a surprisingly long part of your career.

Graduated college nine years ago and been working at my current job for eight (previous job doesn't count because it was lotus notes development l o l)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I have this issue, my approach to architecture is to just start building the thing and when the architectural problems become obvious and painful, rebuild it and keep going

I suspect the problem is not having built enough different things overall

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Ciaphas posted:

lotus notes development

go on ...

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my first job as a dev was maintaining a rat's nest of financial reports written in VBA

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lotta unironic Sybase love ITT

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

study existing architecture. the architecture of open source software free books are good

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Graduated college nine years ago and been working at my current job for eight (previous job doesn't count because it was lotus notes development l o l)

eh i mean, yeah i would expect someone nearing ten years to have an alright handle on architecture but everyone's experience is different. is your job giving you good opportunities to learn and grow?

(full disclosure, i'm only on year three so there's a good chance i have no idea what i'm talking about).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.aosabook.org/en/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

eh i mean, yeah i would expect someone nearing ten years to have an alright handle on architecture but everyone's experience is different. is your job giving you good opportunities to learn and grow?

(full disclosure, i'm only on year three so there's a good chance i have no idea what i'm talking about).

no

for a whole host of reasons but one of the main ones IMO is that 99% of my work is done on a secure network with zero internet access and zero external media allowed, which means opportunities to try new things, look other things up, etc are virtually nonexistent

there is also never any money for training (and i'm including poo poo like reference books here, not just classes) for our group so among a group of six responsible for maintaining a 750kloc C++ app, i'm the only one who knows enough about it to debug and troubleshoot

hell half the team doesn't even know how to crack open the debugger, be it post mortem or otherwise

so even if i had 'net at my desk most of my work time is spent trying to keep our 20 year old c++ application (first written for SGI, later ported to Solaris in 2006(!), ported to Linux/Intel in 2014 but again no money so the new hardware is conspicuously absent) breathing

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 20, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

on the plus side i can skate right to retirement in that job if i don't kill myself first, it takes special effort to get fired

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boy writing that made me realize how badly stunted i am

if alcohol didn't taste like total butt to me for some reason i'd be deep in my cups rn

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 20, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh hey, one's about eclipse which i am working with. neat.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

there is also never any money for training (and i'm including poo poo like reference books here, not just classes) for our group so among a group of six responsible for maintaining a 750kloc C++ app, i'm the only one who knows enough about it to debug and troubleshoot

1) if you are the smartest person in the room (and it sounds like you are), find a new room

2) it sounds like poo poo would explode without you. Ask your boss for more Benjamins. If they say no, find a new job. If they say yes, also find a new job using your new higher salary for leverage

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

on the plus side i can skate right to retirement in that job if i don't kill myself first, it takes special effort to get fired

Otoh there's no shame in this if you just want to gently caress off at 5 with your paycheck and live your life. However, given the above, still ask for more money

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3) never accept the counter offer

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the counter-offer is good for two things. First is figuring out if they were paying you as much as they could or if they were happy to pay you less than they thought you were worth for a long period of time. The second thing is that you don't accept it because it's a resentment machine and can only use it to negotiate for more at a new job you're looking to switch for already.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ciaphas posted:

for a whole host of reasons but one of the main ones IMO is that 99% of my work is done on a secure network with zero internet access and zero external media allowed

why?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

Also this. Never tell your boss you're looking or going to look or are thinking about looking for a new job until you are giving your two weeks notice. After you give your notice, allow nothing to convince you to stay.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I interviewed for an internship at a place that had something to with nuclear stuff that had that policy. iirc they had a single computer that had open internet access, so if you needed to search something you had to go to the special internet computer, google it, then go back to your desk

I didn't get the job, and it was kind of a relief, since I think that would've been stressful as a sophomore in college. the position called for stuff I'd never even touched, so I was kind of surprised they even gave me an interview. it was in the same city my sister was in at the time, and the interview was around christmas, so I half used it as a way to just travel for free and drive back home with my sister.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

lotta unironic Sybase love ITT

Put Oracle and Sybase side by side and Sybase wins every time IMO. gently caress oracle.

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

so even if i had 'net at my desk most of my work time is spent trying to keep our 20 year old c++ application (first written for SGI, later ported to Solaris in 2006(!), ported to Linux/Intel in 2014 but again no money so the new hardware is conspicuously absent) breathing

wait what, they have enough $ to pay a team of 6 to maintain this clusterfuck but couldn't shell out for new hardware at any point in the last two years?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol they found some demos on Aminet that detect if you're running them in WinUAE, call you a lamer and format your emulated hard drive

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

lmao stored procedures

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

travelling wave posted:

wait what, they have enough $ to pay a team of 6 to maintain this clusterfuck but couldn't shell out for new hardware at any point in the last two years?

Opex vs capex my dude

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

currently C++-ifying my Amiga sprite code

did you know that if you give AddVSprite a pointer to an invalid VSprite struct it crashes WinUAE with a system status dump and error message in German? neither did I

still haven't figured out why the OS crashes when I drag my window around

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

get a new job

unlike really top shelf therapy this advice is free

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

never ever ever ever ever ever ever

AMA my lawsuit, or dont cause nda

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

get a new job

unlike really top shelf therapy this advice is free

ironically being central to operations not exploding is working against me in my own head

some of my coworkers i consider friends despite their ah lack of aptitude and i'd feel mad guilt giving two weeks and leaving them with the fallout of a dead gay system

(e) that and thinking of interviewing again gives me hives but that's just me being a baby

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ciaphas posted:

ironically being central to operations not exploding is working against me in my own head

some of my coworkers i consider friends despite their ah lack of aptitude and i'd feel mad guilt giving two weeks and leaving them with the fallout of a dead gay system

(e) that and thinking of interviewing again gives me hives but that's just me being a baby

:sever:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

fear for personal reasons, i get, but fear of leaving your coworkers high and dry? gently caress that. every last one of those motherfuckers will leave you out to dry if they get a better offer and they won't think twice. ive seen it happen a billion times. doesn't matter how many times they signed your office birthday card, theyre not your friends. do you talk about sex stuff? no? youre not friends.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

fear for personal reasons, i get, but fear of leaving your coworkers high and dry? gently caress that. every last one of those motherfuckers will leave you out to dry if they get a better offer and they won't think twice. ive seen it happen a billion times. doesn't matter how many times they signed your office birthday card, theyre not your friends. do you talk about sex stuff? no? youre not friends.

well there is one that meets that friend definition :v: but he's in a different-but-related group and we've already told each other how fast we'd bail given the opportunity

so yeah i just need to get over myself lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ciaphas posted:

give more than 2 weeks then

• Locked thread