Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are so many useful animals. Trap door spider to create web barriers to hide under. Bombardier beetle to spray people with boiling acid. Blue ringed octopus to paralyze people. Huntsman spider for short bursts of super speed.

Vixen should basically be Flash level "why doesn't she just solve all the problems?" superhero

None of which are native to the likely areas of Africa where the mystic talisman was crafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Moon posted:

None of which are native to the likely areas of Africa where the mystic talisman was crafted.

Except for the blue-ringed octopus all of those animals are native to Africa. Even so, why does that matter? The Totem allows Vixen to tap into The Red, the morphogenetic field that links all animals on Earth. She's not limited to just one continent.

It's 2016, a black woman can summon blue-ringed octopus powers, get over it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Guy Goodbody posted:

Except for the blue-ringed octopus all of those animals are natives to Africa. Even so, why does that matter? The Totem allows Vixen to tap into The Red, the morphogenetic field that links all animals on Earth. She's not limited to just one continent.

It's 2016, a black woman can summon blue-ringed octopus powers, get over it.

Oh my bad I wasn't super familiar with Vixen stuff. I just figured whatever mystic person fashioned that thing would have used powerful impressive animals they would see regularly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can Vixen/her amulet give full powersets, or only attributes? I haven't watched the animation yet and my only prior exposure was JLU where her powers seemed to match what we see here - appropriating attributes, but not unique abilities like web-shooting or water-breathing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

Can Vixen/her amulet give full powersets, or only attributes? I haven't watched the animation yet and my only prior exposure was JLU where her powers seemed to match what we see here - appropriating attributes, but not unique abilities like web-shooting or water-breathing.

In the canonical Vixen cartoon she could fly, and this thing I found specifically says abilities

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Argue posted:

Stein: "Speedsters have temporal manipulation. Chronokinesis."
Mick "Literally used to be named Chronos" Rory: "English, Professor."

It's even funnier when he revealed that he has been playing the simpleton and confessed it to vixen that yes he knows big words. ;)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Some superhero. Maybe I am better suited for the libary." - Nate Heywood, Time Detective

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there a behind the scenes reason Rip hasn't been in this season?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

He's filming the last season of Broadchurch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

Why not just tear up the track?
I think maybe if it derailed it would have exploded?

Bruceski posted:

I was really worried that episode was going to end with "man don't tell Clarissa when you get home, she'll be pissed." "...who?"
That did seem like where they were going. I'm hoping it does turn out that he has a daughter now though, because that would be way more interesting than an affair.

twistedmentat posted:

Does anyone care about Stein's wife drama? His entire story as been about that recently.
I find it really weird how Stein is constantly harping on about his wife despite the fact that he took off at the first opportunity and left her behind. Does she even know he's alive? If he used time travel to come home to the same time he left from, presumably he'd be available to help at Star Labs.

I assumed it was just because he was terrible and the show is much better without him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Rip.

Tiggum posted:

I find it really weird how Stein is constantly harping on about his wife despite the fact that he took off at the first opportunity and left her behind. Does she even know he's alive? If he used time travel to come home to the same time he left from, presumably he'd be available to help at Star Labs.

I'm kind of assuming Stein is overwhelmed by a guilty conscious. A lot of this seems like it could be building to Martin realizing he doesn't want to spend his twilight years away from his wife, especially if he discovers he has a daughter he has spent no time with. And that would be good with me because I'm mostly ready for Martin and Jax to take a walk with the Hawks.

Hopefully Legends keeps up that traditional of cycling a few characters in and out each season. The end of the season should naturally lead to Amara going back to her time, Martin going home to his family, and Rip returning. Assuming Jax goes with Martin that leaves room for a couple of new characters like Nate and Amara were this season (and they could always pull something where Jax gets a new Firestorm partner, especially since theyve kept a long Firestorm tradition of not having him do anything except toss fire).

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Pretty sure Martin told his wife about going away in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He did. And she encouraged him to do it when they came home at the end of S1. But still it doesn't change the fact that Martin's spending his senior years away from his wife and coming back to the same point in Clarissa's life doesn't change that Martin is two years older.

And that assumes he doesn't die in a distant time and place away from his wife.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I like Rip.

You'll be the first up against the wall.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I like Rip.

Me too my friend!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rip had a really interesting story in the first season that they completely mishandled.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I miss Rip and Capn Cold about the same amount!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That was a pretty good ep. I liked the abrupt lead-in for the crossover too. GUYS WE HAVE TO GO SAVE OUR FRIENDS.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Stein could go home, but I hope they keep Jax. He's much better than he was, and does the engineer gimmick pretty well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

Stein could go home, but I hope they keep Jax. He's much better than he was, and does the engineer gimmick pretty well.

Yeah. Jax is really growing on me now that they're bothering to give him a character. He doesn't make a great Firestorm tbh, but he does make a great Jax!

howe_sam posted:

He's filming the last season of Broadchurch.

Is there a reason Broadchurch got another season past the second one? :stonk:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

There's just something off about that priest, I guess. No idea.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah. Jax is really growing on me now that they're bothering to give him a character. He doesn't make a great Firestorm tbh, but he does make a great Jax!
Same, but he seems to do fine as Firestorm, it's just that a Firestorm firing on all cylinders would way outclass the rest of the team.

I was positive this was a joke about following David Tennant around, taking similar roles, but NOPE, it's true, check IMDB. Bizarre!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, id like to see them merge Jax with someone new. Maybe a lady for maximum awkwardness. Ideally they find a way to make him stay and send Stein home but I'm just working under the current dynamic where if Martin decides to hang it em Jax doesn't have much choice in the matter.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's a time travel show. Bring Ronnie back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, id like to see them merge Jax with someone new. Maybe a lady for maximum awkwardness. Ideally they find a way to make him stay and send Stein home but I'm just working under the current dynamic where if Martin decides to hang it em Jax doesn't have much choice in the matter.

:rip: Russian Firestorm lady.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inkspot posted:

It's a time travel show. Bring Ronnie back.

He's made the jump to movies, he ain't coming back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's made the jump to movies, he ain't coming back.

Most of the cast of this show has been in film already.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Make Ray the other half of firestorm! He's smart like Stein. He needs a new gig

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Retiring Stein is gonna be real awkward since he's the one with the actual Firestorm matrix in his DNA.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Retiring Stein is gonna be real awkward since he's the one with the actual Firestorm matrix in his DNA.

Eh, not really. At literally any time they could just say "Thing that just happened seems to have transfered the matrix from Stein to Jax! It must have been technobabble!" if they cant think of anything more creative then time jumping while merged does it.

Thats assuming they want to go that route of course. I'm not fussed if they keep Stein or not, but if the actor wants to leave its a comicbook show, the science doesnt make any sense anyway, they can easily get around it.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Listen, there's an easy way out.

Speedforce.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Stein is dying, firestorm matrix needs to be contained, Jax tries as the only remaining half of firestorm, can't sustain it alone, Ray merges with him. Boom, Ray has a smart new Jax suit. Or they could even flip the dynamic with Jax being in charge / the voice instead

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I'm not fussed if they keep Stein or not, but if the actor wants to leave its a comicbook show,

Victor Garber put up with five seasons of Alias, he's got a high tolerance for comic book, genre bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, they seem to be about to give Ray his Atom suit back considering last week's episode they gave him more White Dwarf metal.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

just setting it up for ray to put the cold gun in his suit for even more inept adventures.

"oh no a middle ages knight stole my suit and oh my he's frozen all the serfs in sherwood forest"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tessiebee posted:

Stein is dying, firestorm matrix needs to be contained, Jax tries as the only remaining half of firestorm, can't sustain it alone, Ray merges with him. Boom, Ray has a smart new Jax suit. Or they could even flip the dynamic with Jax being in charge / the voice instead

Well, they seem to be about to give Ray his Atom suit back considering last week's episode they gave him more White Dwarf metal.

No Butt Stuff posted:

just setting it up for ray to put the cold gun in his suit for even more inept adventures.

"oh no a middle ages knight stole my suit and oh my he's frozen all the serfs in sherwood forest"

All of these. Firestorm with an Atom suit with built in Cold Guns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason nobody ever actually thinks to combine superpowers in comic books/tv shows.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Where did this thought that Victor Garber wants to leave even come from, cause I sure haven't seen anything about it online. The only thing Garber has said he'd refuse to do is get into a costume and do stunt work, which is why having him be the mental part of Firestorm makes perfect sense. He gets to play out the dramatics of a comic book superhero without ever needing to put on spandex (or in CW's case, leather.)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

For some reason nobody ever actually thinks to combine superpowers in comic books/tv shows.

I do not think this is correct.
ps:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

They did an episode on Batman: The Brave and the Bold where Dr. Fate took everybody's powers, including Plastic Man's, and loaned them to Batman so he could fight Equinox (an off-brand version of Libra).

Batman ultimately won by fighting to a standstill and then talking Equinox to death.

It was pretty dope.

• Locked thread