Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Young Freud posted:

I've been reading Burroughs, and I'd imagine the scene out of "The Wild Boys" where the Department of Defense tries to weaponize Ah Puk. "Here lived stupid vulgar sons of bitches who thought they could hire DEATH as a company cop!"

How did you know? :haw:

Word has it that Kushner's gunning for Bannon. Kushner basically made the decision between Bannon and Rence Preibus for Chief of Staff. "Chief strategist" is the consolation prize and reward for the campaign, but Kushner's looking to edge him out of Trump's inner circle by getting his own security clearance.

In Marvel Comics, Bruce Banner was killed by Hawkeye, and the Ninja Clan the Hand got their hands on his body, so they used their magic to raise the Hulk from the dead, and make him a ninja. This clearly goes bad.

And yea, those kind of people ALWAYS claim voting for Johnson. Libertarian candidates exist for lovely people to vote for and feel they aren't so lovely that they voted Republican.

The infighting in the Trump Cabinet is going to be interesting. I have a feeling Bannon is more Himmler than Rohm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Hollismason posted:

There's also the white nationalist/ Christians that believe Jews are Gods chosen people but they should all live in Israel. White Nationalist are absolutely white supremacist ,but there's also the message of no racial mixing at all above other beliefs.

They want the Jews in Israel so the world is set up for the Rapture.

The implicit belief is that the Rapture won't take the Jews because they killed Jesus but they still have to live in Jerusalem because you have to set up all the world events properly to trigger the Rapture Event to transition to the new server

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

N. Senada posted:

What would the optics be for a Democrat who is offered a position in the new administration to publicly reject it?

Literally no one would remember it ten minutes later, unless Trump made a big deal about it, in which case the story would immediately become about him.

Accepting a position might have worse optics than rejecting it, given that the leftist circular firing squad is on the march.

Bueno Papi posted:

Republicans aren't dumb. They know it's political suicide to privatize medicare and social security. The privatization won't kick in until well after any political consequence will affect them and the current lot of medicare/SS recipients are ok with that. Why you won't hear anything from old people lobbies when Paul Ryan makes his putsch for privatization.

Nah, the old people lobbies are actually pretty good about trying to keep Medicare/SS around, not just for themselves but for their children as well. After all, it's not like their taxes are going to pay for it. Ironically, in my experience, it's younger people who tend to be the least likely to defend those programs - there's some weird nihilism going on where they're so convinced that those programs won't be around for them that they don't have any interest in fighting to keep those programs around for them.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

QuoProQuid posted:

edit: and "every single protection" is not on the precipice. trump is a historically bad president but congress, the supreme court, the federal bureaucracy, and the States are not going to sit idly if trump sends out an unconstitutional order. we do not live in a dictatorship.

As a rather important point: many of those branches are longing to roll back protections. There won't be any pushback from the house or senate - they'll be sending those bills to his desk. SCOTUS may stop the worst abuses but they're unlikely to stike down laws in their entirety, creating a "new normal" that's much shittier for minorities than we have today.

I'll point out that the majority of the states are leading in new and exciting ways to gently caress over minorities. Laboratories of democracy, indeed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

When do I get to wake up from this nightmare? I dont want to sleep anymore. :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

The American political culture doesn't jive with bash the fash, unfortunately. We teach kids to idealize MLK instead of Malcom X for a reason.

Would you honestly prefer Malcolm X was as respected and nigh-on revered as Dr. King?

Serious question, I have only the most basic knowledge of either man.

It makes me think of Gandhi and Jinnah, though. Everyone here knows St. Gandhi but "who da gently caress is Jinnah?"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Would you honestly prefer Malcolm X was as respected and nigh-on revered as Dr. King?

It makes me think of Gandhi and Jinnah, though. Everyone here knows St. Gandhi but "who da gently caress is Jinnah?"

To be honest you need both. One to scare the poo poo out of the people in power, and another to come in with an appealing, softened message that can go in the history books.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes. Especially because Malcom X renounced violence at the end and in general is a very inspiring figure.

Violence is undesirable but not something we should preclude as an option. The fascists sure won't.

speng31b posted:

To be honest you need both. One to scare the poo poo out of the people in power, and another to come in with an appealing, softened message that can go in the history books.

This too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Furnaceface posted:

When do I get to wake up from this nightmare? I dont want to sleep anymore. :(

I still wake up thinking the last week and a half was some horrible nightmare until it sets in once again.:smith:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Person Dyslexic posted:

I've listened to a number of these, and to be fair the people interviewing the alt right folks have generally come across as disbelieving and incredulous of their stances, so they are hardly towing the line. The problem is NPR hosts never call bullshit, even when it is staring them in the face, so it comes across as incredibly limp-wristed at best.

But then again, brought to you by Koch industries, who employ 60000 people!

Yeah, there was an On Point this week where a caller claimed to have voted for Obama twice but decided to go for Trump this time because he did not want the US to become the anti-American polyglot communist society that the democrats have been pushing, and they discussed it as a totally legitimate claim.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes. Especially because Malcom X renounced violence at the end and in general is a very inspiring figure.

Violence is undesirable but not something we should preclude as an option. The fascists sure won't.

It's also important to remember MLK carried a gun and recommended others do so in after what happened to the Mississippi 3. He advocated using non-violence for demonstrations and overall political movement, but there were limits to his pacifism, especially if they came at you in private. He wasn't one to shirk self-defense. He and Malcolm X were very much the same.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't remember when I learned this but it was important to learn that MLK didn't choose passive resistance because it was "nice", but because it was effective at turning moderates to his side to see him and his people get beat up by the police.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Much of MLK's popular veneration also only came after his murder, before that plenty were willing to call him a domestic terrorist.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Thaddius the Large posted:

Much of MLK's popular veneration also only came after his murder, before that plenty were willing to call him a domestic terrorist.

Well, yes, being martyred does tend to expand one's popularity well beyond a small base of demonized and oppressed fans. There are a few very famous examples of this I can think of.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Quorum posted:

Well, yes, being martyred does tend to expand one's popularity well beyond a small base of demonized and oppressed fans. There are a few very famous examples of this I can think of.

Tarp guy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

QuoProQuid posted:

In 1973, Richard Nixon tried to use the federal government to destroy his political opponents and cover up his involvement. He was subsequently ravaged by all parties. Both his attorney general and deputy attorney general resigned from office rather than participate in a blatant cover-up. The press uncovered multiple abuses of power. Impeachment proceedings had bipartisan support.

We already know a foreign government was explicitly working to get Trump elected, and there's a strong argument that Comey was abusing his office for purely political reasons as well in how he so publicly handled the email stuff. Literally nobody in the government gives a poo poo even with Trump picking staffers who are also chummy with that same foreign government.

Grouchio posted:

Does Bannon hate Trump's son in law Jared Kushner since he's Jewish (and someone who Trump wants on his team?) Or does he merely consider him a credit to his race? Also how is him being Chief Strategist actually going to work if Trump really, really wants to work with Israel? (Unless Bannon hates Muslims as much as Jews...)

If Bannon doesn't like Kushner he's going to keep really quiet on it because he knows that Kushner is one of two, maybe three, people who can convince Trump to fire him at any given time.

e:

Given that the rest of the Wildlife assholes were found not guilty in Oregon I'd be stunned if Finnicum isn't slowly canonized by the right as a victim of Obama's oppression or some poo poo.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

We need an armed left.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

ima take over a bird refuge and refuse to leave until the government makes the public-option for medicare available

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Grouchio posted:

So Bannon's not really a nazi then?

He holds the same 'Global Conspiracy' style of anti-semitism that the Nazi's held, but not the raging neurotic hate that Hitler and his top staff held. Bannon reserves that for the Muslim Menace.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It seems that Trump may pick Tom Price for HHS. I have no idea other than he's a actual Doctor ,but also he wants to get rid of ACA so it does not make sense.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/tom-price-health-human-services-secretary-donald-trump-231632

Wow

quote:

However, Price’s plan is far less generous than Ryan’s on high-risk pools. Price would provide just $3 billion for states to cover some of their most vulnerable residents, compared to $25 billion in the Ryan plan.

:stare:

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 20, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still wake up thinking the last week and a half was some horrible nightmare until it sets in once again.:smith:

I've only realized in the last 2 days that Roger Waters called this whole thing in the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfEaY6FlPs&t=285s

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 20, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Spoondick posted:

ima take over a bird refuge and refuse to leave until the government makes the public-option for medicare available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NoP_VrnmCQ

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It seems that Trump may pick Tom Price for HHS. I have no idea other than he's a actual Doctor ,but also he wants to get rid of ACA so it does not make sense.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/tom-price-health-human-services-secretary-donald-trump-231632

Wow

Didn't the high risk pool run out of money like 3 years before it was supposed to as it is?

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Just because he's a physician? There's a huge FYGM'ism streak in medicine. Usually the further you are from dealing with patients and the more money you make, the more FYGM you get. Biggest anti-ACA docs I run into are more often than not gas, rad, or surgery.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Didn't the high risk pool run out of money like 3 years before it was supposed to as it is?

Yeah, the high risks pools just fundamentally do not work.

This is all the way back in 2013

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/the-trouble-with-high-risk-pools-as-a-conservative-alternative/

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/07/23/204819209/time-to-get-out-of-the-high-risk-health-insurance-pool

They just don't work.

Bueno Papi posted:

Just because he's a physician? There's a huge FYGM'ism streak in medicine. Usually the further you are from dealing with patients and the more money you make, the more FYGM you get. Biggest anti-ACA docs I run into are more often than not gas, rad, or surgery.

Absolutely , the problem is people think that have a M.D. gives you some sort of insight into the healthcare industry when it most certainly does not.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hollismason posted:

Wow

I mean, it could be worse. I fully didn't count out him trying to nominate Martin Shkreli as his HHS

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Given that the rest of the Wildlife assholes were found not guilty in Oregon I'd be stunned if Finnicum isn't slowly canonized by the right as a victim of Obama's oppression or some poo poo.

Aren't most of them are serving time right now, after accepting plea deals?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Stallion Cabana posted:

The implicit belief is that the Rapture won't take the Jews because they killed Jesus but they still have to live in Jerusalem because you have to set up all the world events properly to trigger the Rapture Event to transition to the new server

The brink summed it up nicely

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/07/hbos-brink-explains-neocon-support-israel

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

A bill was passed to prevent Obama from trying to save the country pass midnight regulations
Yay obstructionism!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

did Obama ever actually get to loving govern at any point during his presidency.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Harik posted:

As a rather important point: many of those branches are longing to roll back protections. There won't be any pushback from the house or senate - they'll be sending those bills to his desk. SCOTUS may stop the worst abuses but they're unlikely to stike down laws in their entirety, creating a "new normal" that's much shittier for minorities than we have today.

I'll point out that the majority of the states are leading in new and exciting ways to gently caress over minorities. Laboratories of democracy, indeed.

passing legislation is hard. president obama could barely get enough congressmen to pass middle-of-the-road health care reform. i don't think that trump has the patience or political support needed to build a coalition willing to "roll back protections" in a way atypical from other republican administrations. i also haven't seen ary reason to think that paul ryan will go out of his way to help the trump administration, especially if its policies run counter to his "better way" plan.

Evil Fluffy posted:

We already know a foreign government was explicitly working to get Trump elected, and there's a strong argument that Comey was abusing his office for purely political reasons as well in how he so publicly handled the email stuff. Literally nobody in the government gives a poo poo even with Trump picking staffers who are also chummy with that same foreign government.

quite a few people give a poo poo, actually. like, the big news item for the past few days has been career professionals boycotting trump's transition team and trump struggling to fill 4,000 appointed positions in the executive. trump's shading dealings with the russians have been highlighted by the press and, partly as a result, he will probably enter office as the least popular president in history. senators, including mccain, have indicated that they aren't going to forget about russia's actions after inaugeration day.

i have yet to see a strong argument that comey "was abusing his office for purely political reasons." if you have it, i would unironically like to read it.

last I checked, there was no companion bill in the senate. even if there was, it won't muster enough votes to overcome presidential veto.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 20, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

did Obama ever actually get to loving govern at any point during his presidency.

No because we can't let the country be ruined.

Wait, people are protesting a president? SHOW THAT MAN RESPECT AND LET HIM GOVERN GOD drat IT HAVE YOU NO RESPECT FOR THE COUNTRY?

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, there was an On Point this week where a caller claimed to have voted for Obama twice but decided to go for Trump this time because he did not want the US to become the anti-American polyglot communist society that the democrats have been pushing, and they discussed it as a totally legitimate claim.

I do think Tom Ashbrook is better than most at calling out people for absurdist views, although I do think it's important for those kinds of shows to 'toe the line' to keep as diverse an audience as possible so people with those views will be exposed to mostly rational discussions and perhaps be swayed instead of being alienated and flocking to right wing echo chambers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

passing legislation is hard. president obama could barely get enough congressmen to pass middle-of-the-road health care reform. i don't think that trump has the patience or political support needed to build a coalition willing to "roll back protections" in a way atypical from other republican administrations.

Other republican administrations usually didn't have a republican senate and house, and the tea party has changed the average level of crazy for the party

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's to stop Tea Party congressmen introducing a lot of bills that are just "get rid of x" Repeal Obamacare. Repeal Dodd-Frank. Defund the Department of Education. And then the other Republicans have to either go along with it or open themselves up to primary challengers saying they voted for Obamacare or whatever

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Stallion Cabana posted:

Sort of. A combination of naïveté and Blue Dogs stymied him in 2009-2010 and the rest were solid Republican uselessness.

I'm curious what the plan is for if we retake the Congress. We all know we can't hold it for more than two years at a time and Republicans have proven they can get elected, intentionally prevent government from functioning, and be rewarded for it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stallion Cabana posted:

The Rapture is about the dumbest thing ever in Christianity , other than Prosperity Gospel that is. Both make me glad I'm a Roman Catholic so I don't have to believe that heretical bullshit

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hidden Under a Hat posted:

I do think Tom Ashbrook is better than most at calling out people for absurdist views, although I do think it's important for those kinds of shows to 'toe the line' to keep as diverse an audience as possible so people with those views will be exposed to mostly rational discussions and perhaps be swayed instead of being alienated and flocking to right wing echo chambers.

npr has about as non-diverse an audience as fox

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm curious what the plan is for if we retake the Congress.

If "we" means "Democrats" I can tell you the answer is:
Do nothing
Tell liberals at least nothing conservative was passed
Tell everyone else at least nothing liberal was passed
Pray everyone votes for us again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have the hottest of hot takes:
gently caress Trump.

• Locked thread