Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doctor Butts posted:

This but they band together to take down Thomas Riker.

They're led by him and each one has fake beard sides, even the women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Doctor Butts posted:

Marina Sirtis bragged that she banged every male guest star.

I'd be willing to bang Stephen Hawking just to say I did it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MisterBibs posted:

Related, does anyone listen to Mission Log? For some reason I've become increasingly bored of them, which is weird since they are just getting into the meat of TNG that I like.

They're very much in the pro-Roddenberry camp and Ken has been expressing increasing discomfort with the character-based storytelling of many of the episodes that were written after Gene's death. It's a big aggravating.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Dark One posted:

They're very much in the pro-Roddenberry camp and Ken has been expressing increasing discomfort with the character-based storytelling of many of the episodes that were written after Gene's death. It's a big aggravating.

It's hard to believe people like this exist, and yet...they do....

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Marina Sirtis bragged that she banged every male guest star.

Even Mr Homn and Mark Twain?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I always knew that David Warner was a player.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gonz posted:

I always knew that David Warner was a player.

"The pain will only be passing; you should survive the process."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Well, he was also Deep Throat, soooo.....

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I know theres a joke/meme about how bad poo poo always happens to O'Brien but I just watched the one where due to a misunderstanding he was trapped in a hellish mind prison for 20 years and now has to live with the memories of that forever. At one point Julian says he'll be ok by listing all the other insanely hosed up things that O'Brien has gone through and he got over those.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In the latest round of Axanar drama, it's come out in discovery that Alec Peters (the head of Axanar Studios) has been taking money out of the donor funds to cover his own personal expenses.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

In the latest round of Axanar drama, it's come out in discovery that Alec Peters (the head of Axanar Studios) has been taking money out of the donor funds to cover his own personal expenses.

Oh wow.

quote:

Fans donating to the production did not realize that they would also be funding Peters’ personal lifestyle. “Further, Peters paid himself money he raised from fans to pay for his health insurance, his car insurance, to fill up his and his girlfriend’s gas tank on a weekly basis for two years, to pay for his phone, his girlfriend’s phone and his friend’s phone charges for two years, to pay for new tires for his Lexus, to take his car in for servicing, to travel around the world to attend various science fiction conventions, and even to pay his annual AAA membership and TSA pre-check fees.”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Let That Be Your Last Kickstarter

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

McSpanky posted:

Let That Be Your Last Kickstarter

:shittypop:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
For the World is Mellow and I have Kissed the Sky

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, I think this is part of it. Didn't they do a special episode kvetching about how someone said that it was for the best that TNG was saved by Roddenberry being pushed out of the way and/or dying?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Can't wait to see how the pro-Axanar people try to spin this as a positive. :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It gets better.

quote:

INTERROGATORY NO. 8
Identify and describe the harm or injury You claim to have suffered as a result of Defendants' actions as alleged in the FAC.
RESPONSE TO INTERROGATORY NO. 8

--"Further, emails turned over by Ghristian Gossett, the director of Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar, show that Mr. Peters met with Netflix and Amazon regarding Axanar Productions. Mr. Peters was exploring methods by which he could distribute high-quality Star Trek content, without a license"

--"Mr. Peters' production team generated a marketing plan for his project stating that the first goal of Axanar Productions (Mr. Peters' corporation) was to complete the Star Trek: Axanar film, while the second “objective” of Axanar Productions was to “create and develop new models of sponsorship and funding that will help Axanar productions generate profits on low budget productions.”

--"Mr. Peters was also fully aware of the infringing nature of his activities, as over the course of several years, Mr. Peters (a trained attorney) repeatedly sent CBS notices informing CBS that Mr. Peters believed that other entities and fan film creators were engaging in “infringing” conduct. Again, Mr. Peters did not turn over these communications in discovery, although CBS did."

"Mr. Peters also used these funds to pay for tens of thousands of dollars in restaurant meals. Mr. Peters and his girlfriend were provided with debit cards that they used to pay for these expenses from the Axanar Productions account – which account was populated with funds contributed by Star Trek fans."

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've always wondered why fighting with giant q-tips was the "ultimate form of martial arts"

the few pieecs of recorded entertainment left after the post-atomic horror for a bit was VHS tapes of American Gladiator

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It gets better.

quote:

--"Mr. Peters was also fully aware of the infringing nature of his activities, as over the course of several years, Mr. Peters (a trained attorney) repeatedly sent CBS notices informing CBS that Mr. Peters believed that other entities and fan film creators were engaging in “infringing” conduct. Again, Mr. Peters did not turn over these communications in discovery, although CBS did."

Holy poo poo. :aaa:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So... what if someone were to make a TV series using the StarFleet Battles license instead of the Star Trek license...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Those goons really had no self-awareness whatsoever. Robert Meyer Burnett used to be one of the best producers of bonus materials on DVDs and Blu-rays, and he's probably torpedoed his career by his involvement with this mess (and his drunken screeds on Facebook).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I love how this whole thing is because this guy is an rear end in a top hat, and then well holy poo poo it turns out he's an even bigger rear end in a top hat

it's like poetry

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So his entire plan was 1) raise Kickstarter money to pay his personal bills, 2) torpedo other fan films by ratting them out to CBS, and 3) shop Axanar to Netflix and Amazon, trying to leverage his way into an actual show order for his fan film.

jesus christ

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Dark One posted:

I think they're respectful of Gene but not shy about his faults in storytelling. They're financed by Rod Roddenberry and I always keep that in mind but I don't think that stops them from criticizing Gene.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So his entire plan was 1) raise Kickstarter money to pay his personal bills, 2) torpedo other fan films by ratting them out to CBS, and 3) shop Axanar to Netflix and Amazon, trying to leverage his way into an actual show order for his fan film.

jesus christ

Ranahan asserted that Prelude‘s short historical mockumentary style featuring first-person interview made it “especially unique and distinctive” from Star Trek, and allowed the defendants to “add critical commentary and analysis in order to highlight a comparison of concepts in the Star Trek universe to the present-day military industrial complex, thus serving a “completely different purpose than the solely entertainment-focused Plaintiffs’ Works"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WickedHate posted:

Ranahan asserted that Prelude‘s short historical mockumentary style featuring first-person interview made it “especially unique and distinctive” from Star Trek, and allowed the defendants to “add critical commentary and analysis in order to highlight a comparison of concepts in the Star Trek universe to the present-day military industrial complex, thus serving a “completely different purpose than the solely entertainment-focused Plaintiffs’ Works"

:wtc: Yeah, Star Trek has never ever included metaphors or allusions to present-day issues.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So...Axanar is the Star Citizen of fanfilms/IP grifting?

An episode in TOS that will never be anybody's favorite, but is well put together: "Obsession"

Kirk is obsessed with killing an evil intelligent energy gas, but it works because the conflict is centered on a problem in Kirk's past. We get to see McCoy and Spock react to this problem intelligently (and all TOS fans love seeing those three dudes interact.) In the end, Kirk forgives himself and murders the evil energy gas with an antimatter bomb. Like "The Deadly years" most of its runtime is acting, but it actually works,

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pwnstar posted:

I know theres a joke/meme about how bad poo poo always happens to O'Brien but I just watched the one where due to a misunderstanding he was trapped in a hellish mind prison for 20 years and now has to live with the memories of that forever. At one point Julian says he'll be ok by listing all the other insanely hosed up things that O'Brien has gone through and he got over those.

The best part of that episode is it's obvious even the writers know how hosed up it is given that there's a scene where Bashir finds O'Brien with a phaser in his mouth.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
It was hilarious to finally have a line in an O'Brien Must Suffer episode where somebody was like "You'll be fine Chief you've been in hosed up situations a thousand times"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Pwnstar posted:

What episode was this? I want to swing on by and see that moment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

NowonSA posted:

What episode was this? I want to swing on by and see that moment.

Hard Time

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WickedHate posted:

Far Beyond The Plausible

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Timby posted:

It gets better.

Jesus christ. Thanks for ruining actually good fan productions Axanar.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just caught Hard Time and Bashir lays out all the crazy poo poo that's happened to O'Brien to Keiko, not O'Brien, so it's at least not completely a stone cold directly to him but it's still harsh. It makes way more sense in that context though, from how it was brought up I thought he was talking to O'Brien but he's reassuring Keiko by bringing up the other stuff O'Brien's gotten over. I have to give it up to those aliens too, clearly they need better judgment and trial proceedings to make sure they aren't sentencing innocent people, but putting someone through years of harsh prison memories in a matter of hours is the kind of efficiency I can appreciate in the future, it cuts out the need for big prisons and guards. Even though it isn't real clearly it feels real, and it seems like you would still have an effective deterrent. It's definitely better for them when dealing with other alien races, or enemies in general, as long as they aren't using it on enough people to piss off a major space power.

People get captured all the time in next generation, Picard probably has a solid four or five times at least on his own. Imagine Picard going through this instead of his famous "There are four lights" interrogation, just getting dumped into accelerated VR prison/torture for decades at a time until he's ready to tell the Romulans whatever they want to know. Like, it's horrifying to think about, but at the same time it's not like the Federation is shown doing anything against the guys that use it on O'Brien. There's definitely shades of a certain Black Mirror episode here too, it was fun to see a bit of a different take on similar subject matter.

I also skimmed through the episode titles and summaries on Netflix and now I REALLY want the Greatest Gen guys to do Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. DS9 has the most insane "dick and fart joke" possibilities, as they put it, I mean Dax and Odo alone boggle the mind, and I have to figure Voyager and Enterprise both have enough of that Star Trek flavor to be entertaining with their podcast format. Looking at the brief summaries just reminded me of how straight up bonkers every Star Trek show is in its own special way.

At the very least I hope they do DS9, there's plenty of next generation crossover there to refer back to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

It gets better.
I really want to know why people at Amazon and Netflix took this guy seriously

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Was there ever an explanation for why they put Spock and Uhura together in the reboot movies?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

shadowvine118 posted:

Was there ever an explanation for why they put Spock and Uhura together in the reboot movies?

Because putting Spock and Kirk together would have been too controversial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

shadowvine118 posted:

Because they needed a romance between two main characters but Kirk needed to be a horndog.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

NowonSA posted:

I also skimmed through the episode titles and summaries on Netflix and now I REALLY want the Greatest Gen guys to do Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise.

They mentioned DS9 recently, I think they said they're either going to cover it after they're finished with TNG or follow the airdate order and jump back and forth between TNG and DS9 until TNG ends and DS9 takes over.

Regarding Hard Time, maybe it also works as a companion piece to Babylon 5's Passing Through Gethsemane. Two very different takes on the future of criminal sentencing, both kind of horrifying in their own ways. And to keep it light I've been trying to force together a Chief O'Brien version of the Dusty Rhodes Hard Times promo but it's not quite happening (daddeh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Met posted:

I think they're respectful of Gene but not shy about his faults in storytelling. They're financed by Rod Roddenberry and I always keep that in mind but I don't think that stops them from criticizing Gene.

I don't think that they're afraid to disagree with things Gene said, but their whole shtick is dissecting the ~messages, morals and meanings~ of Trek and they sometimes when a good character study doesn't read more like a morality play.