Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Does anyone else use location-based smart-unlock? I've found it to be super-inconsistent, in that sometimes it works perfectly, and sometimes it just doesn't unlock. Positioning seems to work just fine otherwise so I don't think it's any issue with the GPS or anything.

Had pretty much the same experience, it's janky and usually doesn't work right. I think it may have to do with doze because it seems to stop working after being inactive for an hour or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Works great for me at my home (though I thought it mostly used wifi network?). I think I have to unlock once when I get home, then not anymore until I leave.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Daydream is pretty cool but I'd like a "tour famous public gardens" thing.

Pretty sure you can do poo poo like that using Street view.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So after using Android phones for many years, I cannot figure out how to switch the default keyboard on the Pixel. The keyboard switcher is not showing on the drop-down shade and going into settings and virtual keyboard doesn't show an option to switch default keyboards. What am I missing or am I just really stupid?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
One of the virtual buttons at the bottom should have changed into a keyboard switch button when you have a keyboard up.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

DemonMage posted:

One of the virtual buttons at the bottom should have changed into a keyboard switch button when you have a keyboard up.

Well no poo poo. Thanks. I am dumb.

In case anyone is as dense as me, this is what it looks like. gently caress Flesky by the way.

http://i.imgur.com/L8ZK6oL.jpg

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 20, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

withoutclass posted:

Pretty sure you can do poo poo like that using Street view.

I'll give it a whirl, then. I was hoping for a 3D-rendered bit to it, but honestly the graphics of a pixel XL aren't exactly that of a 1080 founders edition or anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blue Train posted:

Had pretty much the same experience, it's janky and usually doesn't work right. I think it may have to do with doze because it seems to stop working after being inactive for an hour or so

It's not related to doze. I've never had it work properly, no matter what phone I've used. It almost never works at my designated "home". I set my neighbor's house as an alternate location (it overlaps my house) and that used to work on my Moto X, but not anymore on my Nexus 5x.

Probably related but I've tried setting a location based reminder one time and that failed to trigger at my house. I should experiment with it some more, but if it failed the first time, I'm just not going to trust the reminder to work a second (or third or fourth) time, so I'm probably never going to use it.

Location unlock works almost perfectly at my parents' house.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

After using my Pixel XL for a couple weeks now, it's continuing to astound me with well, that fact it just works. It works so well, it's so smooth and fast, doesn't skip a beat swapping around apps and doing literally everything. And the camera is so good. Recent flagships like the Note 7 (explosions notwithstanding) don't hold a candle to this experience, it's such a refresher. I couldn't recommend it more.

Also it has great battery life!

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

After using my Pixel XL for a couple weeks now, it's continuing to astound me with well, that fact it just works. It works so well, it's so smooth and fast, doesn't skip a beat swapping around apps and doing literally everything. And the camera is so good. Recent flagships like the Note 7 (explosions notwithstanding) don't hold a candle to this experience, it's such a refresher. I couldn't recommend it more.

samesies

I'm also loving google home over the echo I had but sold on ebay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yep, same here. Turns out the reviews saying they knocked it out of the park with the Pixel XL were spot on. drat thing is butter-smooth no matter what's going on in the background. Battery life is good enough to last a full day of listening to podcasts over Bluetooth and still have plenty of juice for dinner and a movie afterward without charging or even dropping into battery saver mode. (I got the phone but was waiting for an extra charger so I had to go to work sans charger for a couple days)

If you have the money and are willing to spend it, this is the best phone out there.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Daydream is neat, but not worth $80. It's just cardboard with a controller.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Trip report: I've actually impressed my girlfriend a couple of times now with Google assistant's responses versus never really impressing her with Google Now commands.

Yeah the phone is awesome. I just wish it wasn't like two steps forward one step back though. I do miss stereo speakers, even if they aren't front facing and water resistance and Qi charging because I have a drat Tylt Vu to do nothing with now.

But it's still great.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I couldn't find any info online but does it have a connection for data pass through. Being able to use them while flying my Phantom would be nice since I use a cheap headset currently

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I'll give it a whirl, then. I was hoping for a 3D-rendered bit to it, but honestly the graphics of a pixel XL aren't exactly that of a 1080 founders edition or anything.
Wait you're telling me that the impressive Google Earth VR...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrkZOx5Q1M

...launched in the same week as Daydream headsets and it doesn't work on Daydream?

Holy poo poo that is some peak Google.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Yep, same here. Turns out the reviews saying they knocked it out of the park with the Pixel XL were spot on. drat thing is butter-smooth no matter what's going on in the background. Battery life is good enough to last a full day of listening to podcasts over Bluetooth and still have plenty of juice for dinner and a movie afterward without charging or even dropping into battery saver mode. (I got the phone but was waiting for an extra charger so I had to go to work sans charger for a couple days)

If you have the money and are willing to spend it, this is the best phone out there.

Pretty much. This is the way hardware should be going. It's 2016. Our computing power is obscene. poo poo should be fast and responsive.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait you're telling me that the impressive Google Earth VR...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrkZOx5Q1M

...launched in the same week as Daydream headsets and it doesn't work on Daydream?

Holy poo poo that is some peak Google.

Yeah it looks like it needs some rendering horsepower to be able to fly around like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah it looks like it needs some rendering horsepower to be able to fly around like that.
Mobile GPUs could easily do an optimized version of that in 2016.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I honestly don't think I've ever been more impressed with a phone before.

Also I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Home, worth it? I don't have smart light bulbs or any bullshit like that.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 20, 2016

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Daydream is cool. Anyone else having issues with the controller just kinda making GBS threads the bed every few minutes or so? Any game that utilizes aiming the controller is pretty much unplayable right now. Thing just...doesn't feel right, no matter how many times I recenter it.

The non-game stuff is really cool, though.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Home, worth it? I don't have smart light bulbs or any bullshit like that.

Ehhh depends, I use mine mostly for lighting and temperature commands....it's a neat thing to have around if you're into the smart home stuff but otherwise maybe not.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not unless you have a Chromecast and/or want a wifi speaker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Not unless you have a Chromecast and/or want a wifi speaker.

Yes to both. I might think about it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have smart light bulbs or any bullshit like that.

...yet...

Home automation is a serious gateway drug. I have an Echo...was like hey this is neat. Got a Nest. Then I got Google Home. Then Smart things. Now I constantly look for deals on Hue bulbs. Thinking of getting a zwave garage door controller. And so on. I kind of regret stepping into the future. It's expensive.

Amd yes the XL smokes. Not in a literal sense,. thankfully (Note 7 exile here).

Google finally growed up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Home is $100 on black Friday at Best Buy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Then yeah, I think it'd be worth it, especially for $100. It's definitely a better speaker than an Echo. I've already talked about my gripes with Home, but overall I'm mostly satisfied with it, even if it doesn't improve at all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I got around to opening my daydream. Its a much more polished product than cardboard (build quality, soft touch materials, etc), but its still a product without a lot of demand. I'm still bored after 5 minutes. Maybe I need to try different apps. What people want is a holodeck, and VR is a head mounted 3D screen. Not the same thing. I think MS has the right idea here. Augmented reality, not virtual reality. Gives you the situation awareness to walk around and interact with things while wearing it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I still feel this way, but after posting this my wife tried it and ended up using it until my phone's battery died. This is the first vr thing she's used that fits comfortably with her glasses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Did the "Screen Mode" feature get a name change somewhere along the lines? I've got it on my phone, don't have it on my new tablet (both running 6.0.1), and some of the colors on my tablet look weird on some games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's never been a thing on stock android. So, without knowing what devices you are talking about, it's impossible to say.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I couldn't find any info online but does it have a connection for data pass through. Being able to use them while flying my Phantom would be nice since I use a cheap headset currently
Daydream headset is literally just a thing to put your phone in. It doesn't have any ports or connectors at all. The controller just Bluetooths to the phone.

My opinion of Daydream is that it is pretty poo poo:
* It usually takes me half a dozen attempts to get the main menu to boot up. Around half the time putting the phone in the viewer doesn't get detected properly and then even if that works fine after the "hold the menu button" thing it just launches to a black screen and my phone becomes unresponsive until I take it out of the viewer and turn the screen off/on and force quit the app and start the process all over again.
* Everything is slightly blurry outside of the very centre of the picture (happens more with my right eye so this probably varies per person, I don't have perfect vision in either eye but I don't wear glasses for everyday stuff). This mostly only matters for text, but when there is text it becomes horrible noticeable. I also get some RGB "haloing" on sharp edges.
* About half of the time when exiting an app my phone will just crash to the homescreen and I'll be staring at huge app icons. Then I have to take the headset off, take the phone out, replace it in the headset, and go through the hassle of trying to get it to work again.
* It isn't very comfortable for me, doesn't fit my face/nose well and doesn't sit naturally in the place where the focus is the least bad.

A lot of this is software so I'm (naively, since this is Google we're talking about) hoping it'll improve with some updates. And it didn't cost too much so I'll probably keep it. But I really couldn't recommend it right now.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2016

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
How obtrusive are the ads on the Amazon moto G phones? I'm looking to purchase a couple for my assistants at work, and it looks like they're the best value phones. They're going to be used in Africa, if that matters.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

How obtrusive are the ads on the Amazon moto G phones? I'm looking to purchase a couple for my assistants at work, and it looks like they're the best value phones. They're going to be used in Africa, if that matters.

full screen ad on the lockscreen

e: p much like the one on the left

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Did the "Screen Mode" feature get a name change somewhere along the lines? I've got it on my phone, don't have it on my new tablet (both running 6.0.1), and some of the colors on my tablet look weird on some games.

There's sRBG mode in the developer options (which is the basic option there) but that's a Samsung specific feature.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Have any Pixel owners picked up the Diztronic TPU case? I had one for my Nexus 6 and it was very reliable and was looking to see if anyone had first hand experience with the Pixel one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have the Google Pixel XL and its connection to my WiFi router is very slow. Router is the Comcast Dual-Band Wifi 802.11ac XB3. Is there anything I can try? I don't understand what is going on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I said come in! posted:

I have the Google Pixel XL and its connection to my WiFi router is very slow. Router is the Comcast Dual-Band Wifi 802.11ac XB3. Is there anything I can try? I don't understand what is going on.

Try downloading a WiFi Analyzer app and seeing how crowded your current channel is. Even if it isn't overused, try another less busy channel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try downloading a WiFi Analyzer app and seeing how crowded your current channel is. Even if it isn't overused, try another less busy channel.

I downloaded an analyzer, but I am not sure how to read it. It says I am on channel 6 and it is -30 is that bad? I am looking at my router settings and not finding where I can change the channel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Channel 6 means you're on 2.4 ghz. You want to make sure you are on 5 ghz. The easiest way to do this is create 2 different wireless networks, one strictly for 5 ghz and one strictly for 2.4 ghz for your older devices to connect to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's pretty simplistic to say you want to be on 5ghz. 5 doesn't have as good of a range as 2.4 and you can still max out your Internet connection with the bandwidth available through 2.4. There are situations where 5 is good, but it's not a universal thing.